Type keyword(s) to search

Masterchef (AU) In the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)

Hiiii Guys!!! Hope to see you all back this year!!!

We're sort of back to an artificial normal in Australia (borders are closed) so I'm guessing the challenges are going to be pretty normal!

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 3

Hi guys - have missed you! 🙂

Those who can't see the endless season previews will be pleased to hear that as always, we have a few familiar characters in our cast.

• A Blokey McBlokeface tradie who has a real passion for cooking and is terrified that the boys on the worksite will mock him for crying too much on screen.
  • A self-taught YouTube dessert savant who cooks like Reynold.
  • A sob story contestant (in this case, for unknown reasons she lost her sense of taste for a while).

I'm not sure in what capacity they will be involved but Poh, Reynold and Callum (yay!) will be having something to do with this season.

And finally, here is a where are they now article about the All Stars from last season. Just did a huge double take over Tessa's photo!

Edited by katisha
  • Love 3

@katisha this is ridiculous but I squeeeeeeeed when reading that Brendan bought a place! Property is insane in Australia I can't help but be very pleased for him. I think I'm happier than I would be to hear that he has a successful food venture🤣

Edited by Mellowyellow
  • Love 1

Premiere has been moved to April 19th, basically because Nine tried to beat it by moving the MAFS reunion so they could start Lego Masters a day early and Ten was like "nope, fuck that shit".

No clue whether this means just the first week will be affected or whether the usual weekly episodes will be a day out all season like last year, but I can't imagine them returning to the "Top 50 Week" format this year because of... you know, things.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, SnideAsides said:

Premiere has been moved to April 19th, basically because Nine tried to beat it by moving the MAFS reunion so they could start Lego Masters a day early and Ten was like "nope, fuck that shit".

I remain totally mystified by the success of MAFS.  I'd rather gnaw off an arm than sit through one episode and yet I have several friends and workmates who love it.  

Back on topic, read about a few selected contestants here.

• Love 2

Oh hey y'all! Just logged in for the first time in a longest time and what do I see? MCAU premieres the day after tomorrow! Oh Jock, how I've missed you. And you guys as well! :D 

On 4/11/2021 at 12:57 PM, katisha said:

I'm not sure in what capacity they will be involved but Poh, Reynold and Callum (yay!) will be having something to do with this season.

Oh my god. We'll never get rid of that guy. 🙄

Edited by Rosenrot
  • LOL 1

So I haven't watched tonight's episode yet as I was out for once on a school night, but are we going to be creating new weekly threads like we did last year so that overseas viewers don't get accidentally spoiled?

• Love 1
7 minutes ago, katisha said:

So I haven't watched tonight's episode yet as I was out for once on a school night, but are we going to be creating new weekly threads like we did last year so that overseas viewers don't get accidentally spoiled?

Done. This creeped up fast and also one day ahead too. I'll try to create a couple weeks in advance as well going forward.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, katisha said:

Interesting to read that this is coming back.  I think we can be pretty confident that the celebrities might be B list or worse, though!

Boo. :( I'd rather watch the little ones! 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Rosenrot said:

Boo. :( I'd rather watch the little ones!

MC Junior Australia 2020 was really good. Why can't we have both kids and celebrities? That said, I like Celebrity MCUK and I LOVE the celebrity Bake Off (UK) episodes. I often don't know who any of the celebrities are but it doesn't matter. It is crucial to get celebrities who are good sports and can laugh at themselves though. Otherwise it can get awkward.

• Love 1

So it's not going to be on for another month or so but the 2022 edition of Masterchef is going to be a 'Fans and Favourites' edition with 12 new contestants as well as returning favourites such as Julie Goodwin, Tommy Pham, Alvin Quah etc.  Read more here.

• Love 1

I haven't posted here in ages, but I'm looking forward to this. My fantasy is Tommy being eliminated first, so I will start stockpiling alcohol to prepare for him winning the entire thing. Daniel seems to be most likely to get the Blokey McBlokeface edit; I want to believe they'll skip the Blokey after what happened with Brent, but I'm not too optimistic.

I'll end with a couple of Masterchef Au adjacent TV notes:

I really enjoyed the one-off Celebrity Gogglebox Au episode that featured Andy Allen and Matt Preston. 

Hillsong wasn't on my radar until we were discussing last season's winner, but I just watched the Discovery Plus series on it (not sure about its availability outside the U.S.) and it was interesting and reasonably well-done. Obviously I'm not going to discuss the content or substance of that in the Masterchef forum.

Hope we have at least a dozen people discussing the upcoming season!

I feel like Aldo's been cast as the designated early-boot returnee. No way they're going to boot someone like Julie or Sashi in the first couple of weeks, and Aldo was a forgettable thirteenth-placer from a season barely anybody watched. He didn't even get to be the focus of his elimination episode the first time around because that was the night they brought all the eliminated players back to try and return to the competition.

Dagnabbit, I don't have a PVR anymore since I ditched my Fetch TV so I am either going to have to buy one or...gah...watch it live!  I can't imagine watching Masterchef without time-slipping it because it's the only way to tolerate the endless repeating of prior content after the commercials.  So I haven't even watched tonight's episode (and I've realised that I don't think I even remember anyone called Aldo!)

Also, I just read that as AlBo!

Edited by katisha

Loosely paraphrasing Jock: "You can tell you're a Masterchef fan because you made a parfait."

I am not in favor of "pinworthy" becoming a thing. It's no "spongeworthy."

Julie Goodwin is getting edited as the human personification of frazzled, but with that hair, if I were an editor I'd probably do the same. I recently saw her on Adam Liaw's show and she was completely different in a non-competitive environment (although her hair wasn't).

I hate the immunity pin and I have, at best, mixed feelings about the people who won it. However, this wasn't a bad premiere and I'm interested in Alvin and Billie, and also interested in some of the "fans."

• Love 1

"Favourites" was generous for some of the returnees (Aldo? John?!), but the show definitely scored a win by convincing Billie, Sashi and Julie to return. 

Of the new crop, so far I'm interested in Harry and Jenn, but they hardly showed us most of them. I guess Daniel is this season's Blokey McBlokeface. 

When did Andy learn to articulate what food tastes like? Remember his first season where he only said things were "delicious" and "full of flavour"? Now I think he's actually the best judge at describing how the dishes taste, and why they do or don't work. 

Based on the preview, I guess Shannon Bennett is forgiven for stiffing his workers and back in the fold. Massive eyeroll at Marco Pierre White's return -- if we have to have a yell-y British celebrity chef, can we not have Gordon? 

• Love 1
On 4/25/2022 at 12:35 AM, SnazzyDaisy said:

Did it just get a bit dusty in here? I'm a survivor too and what happened to Minoli is what we all dread.  Even now when I go for my yearly mammogram, seven years down the track, every time they question random shadowy bits and say they'll have to get the radiologist to confirm it's nothing, just a bit of scarring/thickening, I still freak out and think the worst.  Every.time.  Minoli is amazingly brave and I hope she really does well this season.  God knows she deserves it after going through all that at such a relatively young age. 

39 minutes ago, katisha said:

Did it just get a bit dusty in here? I'm a survivor too and what happened to Minoli is what we all dread.  Even now when I go for my yearly mammogram, seven years down the track, every time they question random shadowy bits and say they'll have to get the radiologist to confirm it's nothing, just a bit of scarring/thickening, I still freak out and think the worst.  Every.time.  Minoli is amazingly brave and I hope she really does well this season.  God knows she deserves it after going through all that at such a relatively young age. 

Minoli, you and all the survivors are amazingly brave. Stay strong okay!💪🏻❤️

• Love 2
1 hour ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

They should be practicing on improving their cooking techniques, balancing flavors, plating etc., not making jewellery with Julie. 🤦🏻‍♀️

B1A44B33-0D2F-4392-825A-BCA1A8A2DB2F.jpeg

Aww it looks like a lot of fun!!!

My goodness they are wholesome!!!

Haha maybe this is Julie's stealth way of distracting them🤣

@katisha

Spoiler

I don't understand sportsbet and the spoilers posted!!! Driving me mad!!! What is going on???

Very sad that Michael is not in the spoilers and that Harry seems to outlast him. He's probably one of the ones I'm most fond of!

• LOL 1
Spoiler

So here is the latest market stuff from Sportsbet.  I note that Sashi still appears in some of these markets and he's the only eliminated contestant who does, so I'm calling it that he will come back at some stage soon (but possibly not last much longer after that.)

https://www.sportsbet.com.au/betting/novelties-and-entertainment/masterchef-australia/masterchef-australia-fans-favourites-6154141

Also, what's in this market doesn't match up with the spoiler information I saw recently which suggested the top three included Julie, Alvin and Daniel.  Strange.

On 5/18/2022 at 6:49 AM, katisha said:
Spoiler

Looking at this spoiler, it doesn't exactly inspire confidence that Billie makes it to the finale but DM has been wrong before.

In the Back to Win season, they pumped their chest saying that they knew who the final 6 were with 18 contestants left in the competition only to have missed Callum twice.

If the DM spoiler about the top 6 turns out to be true, I'd be more inclined to believe that the final 3 are Billie, Keyma and Harry. Billie is obvious but Keyma hasn't had a terrible dish yet. She's one of those contestants who plates up tasty food and if she can start to plate up more sophisticated and restaurant quality looking dishes, she might make it to the finale. Harry hasn't been cooking well but most of the elimination challenges have focused more on vegetables (green wall, Alla Wolf Tasker) or simpler dishes (Tuna Wellington, tarts) or cook whatever you like with featured ingredients. 

A top 3 of Julie, Alvin and Daniel just looks wrong. Julie is a home cook with "rustic" looking dishes. Alvin has only had one individual dish with good feedback so far and Daniel's presentation is the worst out of all the contestants left. Normally, finals week consists of the hardest challenges including pressure tests. 1/3 making it into the top 3 isn't out of the ordinary but all 3 making it? I am skeptical.

A theory I believe is more plausible is that if the top 6 spoiler turns out to be true, they are the first 3 to go and they are there to support the remaining 3 in the gantry. Finals week usually happens with 5 or 6 contestants anyway so there is no point for them to leave and come back for the semi-finals + finale.

On 5/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, Mellowyellow said:

Aww it looks like a lot of fun!!!

My goodness they are wholesome!!!

Haha maybe this is Julie's stealth way of distracting them🤣

@katisha

Hide contents

I don't understand sportsbet and the spoilers posted!!! Driving me mad!!! What is going on???

Very sad that Michael is not in the spoilers and that Harry seems to outlast him. He's probably one of the ones I'm most fond of!

Spoiler

I really like Michael. I want to see him make it to the finale.

• Love 2
(edited)

Hmmm...

Spoiler

Back in early May, an outlet released some sneaky pap shots of the final three MasterChef Australia Fan vs Faves contestants, however, given that the show is still filming — their intel was not correct.

The three contestants included in the photos were Julie GoodwinAlvin Quah and Daniel Lamble, however, it turns out that one of these cooks didn’t even make it to the final six.

Apparently, they haven't even filmed the episodes yet!

According to our So Dramatic! spy, production for the final few episodes will likely begin in early June.

https://sodramaticonline.com/2022/05/31/masterchef-australia-final-three/ - for those that want to know who doesn't make it to the final 6.

Edited by ppl
(edited)
22 hours ago, SnazzyDaisy said:

OMG, Jock is still promoting his exaggerated memoir‼️🤦🏻‍♀️

You almost have to admire his sheer gall for going out there talking about a book which so many say should be in the fiction section!

Meanwhile, here's the latest from Sportsbet...

Spoiler

I don't think most of us will be unhappy with who the favourite is, but Sarah RBF comes second - really?

Daniel lasts longer than Michael?  REALLY?!

Montana lasts longer than Aldo or Mindy? REALLY?!!! (I mean, I'm not really a fan of either of them but no way is she a better cook than them)

Spoiler

MC 09-06-2022.jpg

Edited by katisha
  • Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, katisha said:

Meanwhile, here's the latest from Sportsbet...

Reveal spoiler

I don't think most of us will be unhappy with who the favourite is, but Sarah RBF comes second - really?

Daniel lasts longer than Michael?  REALLY?!

Montana lasts longer than Aldo or Mindy? REALLY?!!! (I mean, I'm not really a fan of either of them but no way is she a better cook than them)

Reveal spoiler

MC 09-06-2022.jpg

Thanks for the update @katisha, appreciate it! 🙏🏻

Am hoping for Billie vs Michael vs Daniel/Keyma finale. No RBF in the finale pleaseeeeeeeeeee‼️