Type keyword(s) to search

Snowpiercer Media

• Start Topic

Snowpiercer is an upcoming American drama television based on both the film of the same name and Le Transperceneige by Jacques Lob. The series focuses on the last survivors on the planet. They inhabit 'The Snowpiercer', a train that travels around the globe, which is divided into two feuding classes.

Coming to TNT in 2019.

Well this sucks. The info from the older forum didn't even get vaulted.

Anyway, comments on Snowpiercer  from TNT's president:

The Chief Creative Officer of Turner Entertainment, who is also president of TNT, said that the Jennifer Connelly-fronted drama should soon see the light of day and that the network is “just playing with the timing of when it airs”.

He also addressed the showrunner changes at the show, which is produced by ITV-backed Tomorrow Studios, Turner’s Studio T, along with CJ Entertainment. This is after things got ugly between former showrunner Josh Friedman, who was replaced by Orphan Black’s Graeme Mason.

Reilly admitted that the situation got “very strange”. “Quite often when you have a change, it signals that you didn’t really buy into their vision. We had a pilot that was very promising with some creative people behind it and in that case it was a filmmaker [Friedman] who hadn’t really done TV before and mounting a series was a different order and we got on Graeme who was a consummate professional and an incredible partner and has built off of the template that we had with the great cast,” he added.

... Reilly added that he’s seen all of the episodes and called it “outstanding”.

This is moving from TNT to TBS, and has already been renewed for a second season!

UPDATED with quotes from upfront presentation: TBS, known for its comedy lineup, is making its first foray into drama programming, beginning with the high-profile post-apocalyptic sci-fi series Snowpiercer. Ahead of the Season 1 premiere, WarnerMedia has given an early second season renewal to the series, starring Jennifer Connelly and Daveed Diggs, which will move from its current home on TNT to TBS. The first season of Snowpiercer, from ITV-backed Tomorrow Studios, Turner’s Studio T and CJ Entertainment, is now slated to debut in spring of 2020.

The move is part of a broadening of programming flexibility and more integration among the WarnerMedia networks in coordination with its forthcoming streaming service, said Kevin Reilly, President TBS, TNT and Chief Creative Officer Turner and Direct-to-Consumer, at Wednesday’s upfront presentation in New York. As for the networks, “We’re going to be more flexible in our programming strategy to go where the audience is and use every programming tool and asset we have to maximize delivery and connection,” Reilly explained. TBS, TNT and TruTV are stronger if we’re less bound by a single brand position or genre.”

Based on the acclaimed 2013 movie of the same name, Snowpiercer is set more than seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland. It centers on the remnants of humanity, who inhabit a gigantic, perpetually-moving train that circles the globe.

“Snowpiercer is the perfect show to kick-off TBS’ entry into dramas with intricate storytelling, stunning visuals and first-class acting,” said Brett Weitz, general manager for TBS and TNT. “We believe in the longevity of this series and that audiences will be amazed by the fantastical world that brings to life such relevant social, political and environmental issues.”

The long-gestating series underwent a showrunner change in January 2018 when Josh Friedman, who was an executive producer and wrote the pilot, exited the series, over what was described as creative differences. He was replaced by Orphan Black’s Graeme Manson.

Snowpiercer panel at San Diego Comic Con:

TBS, a division of WarnerMedia Entertainment, is bringing its highly anticipated sci-fi thriller Snowpiercer to San Diego for Comic-Con(R) International 2019. On Saturday, July 20, TBS will present a panel featuring stars Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs, Alison Wright, Mickey Sumner, Lena Hall, Steven Ogg and executive producer and showrunner Graeme Manson in the Indigo Ballroom at the Hilton Bayfront. The session will include an exclusive first look at the series premiere, which will debut in Spring of 2020 on TBS.

Set more than seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer centers on the remnants of humanity, who inhabit a gigantic, perpetually moving train that circles the globe. Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival play out in this riveting television adaptation based on the acclaimed movie of the same name. The series was renewed for season two prior to the season one premiere.

Panelists: Stars Jennifer Connelly, Daveed Diggs, Alison Wright, Mickey Sumner, Lena Hall, Steven Ogg and executive producer and showrunner Graeme Manson

Moderator: Entertainment Weekly's Clark Collis

Date: Saturday, July 20, 3:00 p.m. - 3:50 p.m.

Other attendees: Executive producers Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements of Tomorrow Studios

Snowpiercer is produced by Tomorrow Studios (a joint venture between Marty Adelstein and ITV Studios), along with CJ Entertainment, who produced the original film. The series is executive produced by Tomorrow Studios' Marty Adelstein and Becky Clements; showrunner Graeme Manson, who wrote the first episode; director James Hawes; Matthew O'Connor; Scott Derrickson, and the original film's producers Bong Joon Ho, Miky Lee, Tae-sung Jeong, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi.

I loved the movie, and I'm really looking forward to this. It's not that I expect that it will try to recreate the film - that would be a disaster - but I'm interested in how they're going to expand the premise of the movie and sustain it for a season, at least. The only thing I'm not too sure of is the Tilda Swinton cosplay going on here. Mason was one of my favorite (although despicable) characters, and like all Tilda Swinton characters, she was thoroughly unique in her presence. I hope that the new actor/character doesn't try to channel Tilda to the point that I'm thrown out of the show by the dissonance. Other than that, this show is #1 on my Must Watch list.

From the article above;

After two showrunners, two pilot directors, two networks and a season two renewal, it is set to launch in May.

TNT's Snowpiercer finally has a premiere date following a wild five-year ride to the screen.

The drama, which centers on the remnants of humanity on a perpetually moving train that circles the globe and is based on the 2013 Bong Joon Ho film starring Chris Evans and Tilda Swinton, is set to premiere Sunday, May 31, at 9 p.m. ET/PT on the WarnerMedia-backed basic cable network.

On 7/20/2019 at 8:12 PM, BetterButter said:

It can't bee a good sign that this is still the only trailer TNT is running over six months later.

I do have hope for it though. I enjoyed the movie and like Connelly and Diggs. 

Can someone explain to me why they are on a train that is always moving?  I assume there must be some scientific reason for it.  That aside, it looks like kind of an interesting premise.

Latest teaser and press release:

TNT announced today that, in an effort to give viewers more compelling original content at a faster pace, the network is moving its highly anticipated post-apocalyptic sci-fi thriller up to Sunday, May 17 at 9 p.m. ET/PT.

Set more than seven years after the world has become a frozen wasteland, Snowpiercer centers on the remnants of humanity who inhabit a perpetually moving train, with 1001 cars, that circles the globe. Class warfare, social injustice and the politics of survival play out in this riveting television adaptation based on the graphic novel series and film from Oscar(R) winner Bong Joon Ho (Parasite). The series was renewed for a season two prior to season one airing. Production on season one wrapped and season two production is nearly completed.

Snowpiercer stars Oscar(R) winner Jennifer Connelly (A Beautiful Mind), Grammy(R) and Tony(R) Award winner Daveed Diggs (Hamilton, Black-ish), Emmy(R) nominee Alison Wright (The Americans), Mickey Sumner (Frances Ha, Battle of the Sexes), Susan Park (Ghostbusters), Iddo Goldberg (Peaky Blinders, The Zookeeper's Wife), Katie McGuinness (Dirty Filthy Love), Tony Award(R) winner and Grammy(R) nominee Lena Hall (Hedwig and the Angry Inch), Annalise Basso (Bedtime Stories), Sam Otto (Jellyfish), Roberto Urbina (Narcos), Sheila Vand (Argo) and Jaylin Fletcher (Saturday Church).

Snowpiercer is produced by Tomorrow Studios (a joint venture between Marty Adelstein and ITV Studios), along with CJ Entertainment, who produced the original film. The series is executive produced by Tomorrow Studios' Marty Adelstein (Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Hanna) and Becky Clements (Cowboy Bebop, One Piece, Hanna); showrunner Graeme Manson (Orphan Black), who wrote the first episode; director James Hawes (The Alienist, Black Mirror); Matthew O'Connor (Continuum, Tin Man); Scott Derrickson (Sinister, Doctor Strange), and the original film's producers Bong Joon Ho, Miky Lee, Tae-sung Jeong, Park Chan-wook, Lee Tae-hun and Dooho Choi.

27 minutes ago, rmontro said:

Can someone explain to me why they are on a train that is always moving?  I assume there must be some scientific reason for it.  That aside, it looks like kind of an interesting premise.

Well, it's sci-fi, so the real reason is "because we said so". But in the film this is based on, the train is the only thing left after the Earth has turned into an arctic wasteland; and it's run by a perpetually running engine. If they stop, everything will freeze over and die.

26 minutes ago, Trini said:

Well, it's sci-fi, so the real reason is "because we said so". But in the film this is based on, the train is the only thing left after the Earth has turned into an arctic wasteland; and it's run by a perpetually running engine. If they stop, everything will freeze over and die.

Well, I guess that makes some sort of sense.  I was hoping there was more of an explanation than "because we said so".

There's a bit more to it, and I expect the show itself will explain more, but the show will be more about politics, class warfare, etc. The train and apocalypse is just the setup.

21 minutes ago, Trini said:

There's a bit more to it, and I expect the show itself will explain more, but the show will be more about politics, class warfare, etc. 

Are you trying to talk me out of watching it lol?  I knew about the class separation, but I've had my fill of politics lately.  

5 hours ago, Superclam said:

What the hell, I seem to have some free time on my hands, so I'm in. Anyone know how many episodes in the first season? 

One source I've seen says 10.

• Useful 1
(edited)

I just finished watching it. Excellent film. I didn't realize it was the same director and some cast members from Parasite. I won't spoil a thing, but I do wonder how they're going to do this on the small screen. 

Edited by Superclam
(edited)

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I was today years old when I learned that Mickey Sumner, who plays Brakeman Till, is the daughter of Trudy Styler and Sting! 😮

Edited by Superclam
  • Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 6/27/2020 at 8:18 PM, Superclam said:

I don't know if this is the right place for this, but I was today years old when I learned that Mickey Sumner, who plays Brakeman Till, is the daughter of Trudy Styler and Sting! 😮

I immediately see the resemblance!

This year's WonderCon@Home, March 26-27, 2021, will include a Snowpiercer VFX panel...

Full Schedule: https://www.comic-con.org/wca/2021/athome/complete-programming

Friday, March 26, 2021
5:00pm - 6:00pm    Into the VFX of Snowpiercer, Umbrella Academy, The Flight Attendant, and More!

VFX artists from FuseFX and Folks VFX come together to discuss the intricacies of visual effects for television shows like Snowpiercer, The Umbrella Academy, The Flight Attendant, 9-1-1: Lonestar, and more. Learn how they got their careers started and how they make worlds digitally come alive for the screen in this special behind-the-scenes panel. Panelists include Greg Anderson (VFX supervisor at FuseFX), Johnny Fisk (global VP production, head of studio-LA at FuseFX), Laurent Spillemaecker (VFX supervisor at Folks VFX), Brigitte Bourque (VFX Supervisor at FuseFX), and Jon Cowley (head of studio-BC/Sr. VFX Supervisor at FuseFX). Moderated by actor and content creator, Chris Villain.

Edited by tv echo

‘Snowpiercer’: TNT To Drop First Half Of Season 2 Finale Early On VOD

TNT will drop the first hour of the two-hour season 2 finale early on Saturday, March 27, ahead of the finale’s full airing on Monday, March 29 at 9 p.m. ET/PT. Check for it on your Video On Demand. In this episode, Wilford (Sean Bean) presses forward on his endgame, as Layton (Daveed Diggs) sinks to new lows.

However, even with early access, viewers will have to wait until Monday, March 29 to catch the second half of the finale.

Not the greatest of moves, but since nothing worth watching comes on Saturday, this might give you an hour less to watch during your Monday viewing. Since new programs are going to be few and far between this week, this will not be much of boon to your TV viewing schedule. This will also wreak havoc with the episode posts since the finale is listed as 2 episodes combined instead or 2 single episodes.

Into the VFX of Snowpiercer, Umbrella Academy, The Flight Attendant, and More! | WonderCon@Home 2021
Comic-Con International   Mar 26, 2021

VFX artists from FuseFX and Folks VFX come together to discuss the intricacies of visual effects for television shows like Snowpiercer, The Umbrella Academy, The Flight Attendant, 9-1-1: Lonestar, and more. Learn how they got their careers started and how they make worlds digitally come alive for the screen in this special behind-the-scenes panel. Panelists include Greg Anderson (head of studio-NY/Sr. VFX Supervisor at FuseFX), Johnny Fisk (global VP production, head of studio-LA at FuseFX), Laurent Spillemaecker (VFX supervisor at Folks VFX), Brigitte Bourque (VFX Supervisor at FuseFX), and Jon Cowley (head of studio-BC/Sr. VFX Supervisor at FuseFX). Moderated by actor and content creator, Chris Villain.

Edited by tv echo

FYI: EP Becky Clements talked about Melanie's fate and whether or not Jennifer Connolly will return next season...

Snowpiercer EP Breaks Down Finale Twists, Including Melanie's Fate — But Teases [DELETED WORDS]
By Matt Webb Mitovich / March 29 2021
TVLine article link

‘Snowpiercer’ Season Finale: EP Becky Clements Talks Melanie’s Fate, Josie’s Developing Powers, & A Major Character To Be Introduced In Season 3
By Matt Grobar    March 29, 2021
Deadline article link 

Snowpiercer EP talks season 2 finale, fate of major character
By Clark Collis    March 30, 2021
EW article link

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

Costume Designers Guild Award nomination!

Excellence in Sci-Fi / Fantasy Television
The Mandalorian: "Chapter 13: The Jedi" – Shawna Trpcic
Snowpiercer: "Access is Power" – Cynthia Summers
Star Trek: Picard: "Absolute Candor" – Christine Bieselin Clark
Westworld: "Parce Domine" – Shay Cunliffe
What We Do in the Shadows: "Nouveau Théâtre des Vampires" – Amanda Neale

(edited)

Snowpiercer Snags Very Early Season 4 Renewal at TNT — Watch
By Michael Ausiello and Matt Webb Mitovich / July 29 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/07/29/snowpiercer-renewed-season-4-tnt/ 

TNT continues to ride the gravy train that is Snowpiercer, renewing post-apocalyptic sci-fi drama for a fourth season.

The early pickup (the show’s third season only recently wrapped production) was announced by leading man Daveed Diggs via an on-set video, which you can watch above.
Elsewhere on the Season 3 casting front, Archie Panjabi (The Good Wife) will play Asha, though no character details have been made available, while Mike O’Malley (as Roche) and Chelsea Harris (as Mr. Wilford’s right-hand advisor Sykes) have been promoted to series regular.

Snowpiercer has been an incredibly successful series for us that continues to capture the imagination of viewers, grow audience and maintain strong ratings,” said Sam Linsky and Adrienne O’Riain, co-heads of scripted original programming for TBS, TNT and truTV, in a statement. “All of our seasons embark on an emotional, unexpected ride and the well-plotted storylines will continue to evolve and remain relevant to audiences. We’re excited to keep the train running into Season 4.”

(TNT)

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1

The Third Season of Snowpiercer is set to return to TNT on Monday, January 24, 2022.

Season 3 picks up with Layton and his inner circle commanding a small 10-car “pirate train” in search of Melanie (Jennifer Connelly) and a possible warm location to restart civilization. Meanwhile, back on the train, Mr. Wilford (Sean Bean) is consolidating power, awaiting Layton’s return.

• Useful 1