Type keyword(s) to search

Perry Mason in the Media

• Start Topic

On 3/12/2022 at 1:38 PM, AnimeMania said:

I wouldn't trust that website, it says the premiere date of Jupiter's Legacy 2nd season is Friday, May 5, 2023. Jupiter's Legacy was canceled after the first season.

https://releasedate.me/jupiters-legacy/#releasedate

Yes. I still had (wishful thinking) Aug 7 on my spreadsheet for season 2, but nope. Not even an ETA at HBO. 

These guys guesstimate around October-November:
https://cartermatt.com/489880/perry-mason-season-2-premiere-date-narrowing-down-the-window/

On 7/31/2022 at 2:11 PM, AnimeMania said:

These guys are "in the know", I would trust what they say.

Are there dragons in Season 2? Did HBO mash-up the writers from Westworld & Game Of Thrones? Waiting 2 years is silly...

The long wait in between seasons probably didn't help; it couldn't maintain momentum. If I recall, the first season was well rated and received. But COVID and other issues made that momentum slip away.

By the time it returned, many probably forgot what happened in the first season.

(edited)
12 minutes ago, WendyCR72 said:

The long wait in between seasons probably didn't help; it couldn't maintain momentum. If I recall, the first season was well rated and received. But COVID and other issues made that momentum slip away.

By the time it returned, many probably forgot what happened in the first season.

But was knowledge of the first season necessary to the second? 
For me, it was more like:

1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

As much as I appreciated the acting and the moral complexity, I think it was just too depressing and slow to catch on.

Too narratively dark and joyless.

Edited by shapeshifter
3 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But was knowledge of the first season necessary to the second? 

Details wise? Not really. But the long hiatus does prove "out of sight, out of mind". Hard to keep an audience when the wait between seasons is so long.

As I said, such a strategy led to a loss of momentum/buzz.

And sadly, cancellation became inevitable.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I think it's because they moved the show to Mondays.

It did well on Sundays and that's when people who watch HBO watch TV.  

Maybe it didn't make up the difference on Max but it wasn't a show created for Max with a Max budget. It had a Sunday HBO budget.

• Like 1

Maybe it didn't do so great ratings-wise in season 1 so they put it on Mondays, without much expectations.

Whatever the reason they didn't want to pair it with the tail end of TLOU or Succession.

That would have helped with ratings.

Instead they put Barry on with Succession, which makes sense, two big draws.

Oh well, it would have been interesting if the show lasted long enough to get beyond the Depression.

18 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

But I'm pretty sure it did do well in S1 from what I recall. 

The ratings for the first season ranged between about 700k and about 1 million (possibly just overnights; not too bad for an HBO show), then dived to under 500k for the second

Maybe first season airing during pandemic wasn’t representative.

Or tHe long delay for tHe second season, airing on Mondays while more popular HBO shows like TLOU, Succession and Barry didn’t help, not to mention shows on other networks or streamers.

It's been ages since I've posted on this site (I think the last time it wasn't yet called Primetimer).  Takes the cancelation to get me posting again.

Sad to hear of the cancelation.  Hope they don't pull it from max/on demand.  Also in case you're interested: in Spotify (& maybe other music streaming services?)  Terence Blanchard has two 'albums' which are S1 & S2 scores.  I love his soundtrack: slinky & smoky & gorgeous.

Season 1

Season 2

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
On 6/16/2023 at 12:30 PM, fastiller said:

It's been ages since I've posted on this site (I think the last time it wasn't yet called Primetimer).  Takes the cancelation to get me posting again.

Sad to hear of the cancelation.  Hope they don't pull it from max/on demand.  Also in case you're interested: in Spotify (& maybe other music streaming services?)  Terence Blanchard has two 'albums' which are S1 & S2 scores.  I love his soundtrack: slinky & smoky & gorgeous.

Season 1

Season 2

I absolutely love the end credits music for episode 2x07. It's so utterly alive.

• Like 1