Type keyword(s) to search

Perry Mason in the Media

• Start Topic

I'm so excited about this!  I've been posting over on the American's thread. Loving what I've seen so far.  I'm so happy for Matthew.  I hope it's successful.  

I knew I loved the theme song.  This is it.  The same artist does this as the one for Little Big Lies.  Love that one too.

• Love 2

Oh. Maybe I won’t keep watching:

The first few episodes wallow so thickly in the mire of human depravity that they’re less classic CBS courtroom procedural, more True Detective…

For much of its debut eight episodes, Perry Mason feels of a piece with other efforts to “update” classic characters by amping up the edginess and the grotesquerie. 

or maybe I’ll just skip the next 3 and read the Collider.com recaps and then watch the last 4 “courtroom” episodes:

The stylistic self-indulgence and narrative nebulousness are more of a shame because when Mason finally finds himself in court, all the pieces of the show fall into place…

(theatlantic.com/culture/archive/2020/06/hbo-perry-mason-falls-into-a-prestige-tv-trap/613459)

2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

Does anyone know if this show is an actual one and done miniseries or is it intended to have more seasons?

According to the creators more seasons are a possibility. It’s HBO’s highest rated premiere in 2 years so a second season seems inevitable. 

2 minutes ago, Dani said:

Does anyone know if this show is an actual one and done miniseries or is it intended to have more seasons?

According to the creators more seasons are a possibility. It’s HBO’s highest rated premiere in 2 years so a second season seems inevitable. 

I wonder what effect (if any) the pandemic will have on production of future seasons. 

• Love 1

It started out as a mini-series (probably when RDJ was attached) and continued that way but when HBO started teasing it in the spring, they announced it as a drama series instead of limited series.  I would think the ratings would have to go down significantly for it not to get another season.  HBO needs content and murder mysteries are the kind of thing that tends to stream well. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Comic Con is going to be free online this year due to COVID-19. These panels haven't been assigned  official timeslots yet so be sure to check the Comic Con website in the next week or so!

LGBTQ Representation on TV
Featuring Jamie Chung (Once Upon A Time), Jamie Clayton (Roswell: New Mexico), Wilson Cruz (Star Trek: Discovery), Tatiana Maslany (Perry Mason), Anthony Rapp (Star Trek: Discovery), J. August Richards (Council of Dads, Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.), Harry Shum, Jr. (Shadowhunters) and Brian Michael Smith (9-1-1: Lone Star), moderated by TV Guide's Jim Halterman. 

TV Guide's Fan Favorites
Featuring Hale Appleman (The Magicians), Chris Chalk (Perry Mason), Robbie Amell (Upload), Kennedy McMann (Nancy Drew), Jeri Ryan (Star Trek: Picard), Richard Harmon (The 100), Lindsey Morgan (The 100), Harvey Guillen (What We Do in the Shadows), and Alex Newell (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist). 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Matthew Rhys is interviewed by Terry Gross on today’s Fresh Air! Very enjoyable 45 minutes of good questions by Terry and thoughtful answers by Matthew in his lovely Welsh accent. ❤️❤️❤️

I was just going to post same thing. Hoochie mama his voice!  I about drove off the road. jk

I forgot about that scene when they had the guy in the trunk of the car on The Americans. Phillip wanted out from all the way back then. 

Edited by teddysmom
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, spaceghostess said:

Matthew Rhys is interviewed by Terry Gross on today’s Fresh Air! Very enjoyable 45 minutes of good questions by Terry and thoughtful answers by Matthew in his lovely Welsh accent. ❤️❤️❤️

Yes! Maybe it's because Terry Gross is the interviewer's interviewer, but Matthew Rhys seemed so relatable.
And lots of tidbits relevant to this board/series too.
https://www.npr.org/2020/07/13/890370370/in-perry-mason-matthew-rhys-lives-out-his-boyhood-noir-fantasies

• Love 2

Chapter 5 & 6 summaries: Zap2It

Strickland tracks down the sergeant originally assigned to the Dodson case while Mason and Della run a solemn errand up north; Della sets out to find Mrs. Dodson more capable legal representation.

A damning witness testimony begins Emily's trial; Della and Strickland investigate a potential connection between Detective Ennis and Charlie's kidnappers; Mason considers betraying Drake's trust.

On 7/13/2020 at 11:55 AM, spaceghostess said:

His natural accent is always such a surprise!  Thoughtful interview, though I have to say I enjoyed the bits about The Americans and other topics more than the discussion of Perry Mason.  

Chapter 7 & 8 Summaries

Mason puts Herman Baggerly on the stand in hopes of exposing the hidden link between the Radiant Assembly's staggering debt and Charlie's ransom; Strickland loses track of a key witness; Drake's detective work opens a new avenue in the case.

Della presents a stubborn Mason with her case for putting Emily on the stand; Mason, Strickland, Della, and Drake attempt to tie up loose ends as the trial comes to a close.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

No surprise that the show did well in terms of viewers: 
variety.com/2020/tv/news/perry-mason-finale-season-high-tv-ratings-1234731970/

I wonder if there will be a bumper crop of baby boys named "Perry" in the next year. 
I have a cousin Perry. We were born in the 1950s.

Considering there is nothing else on TV, this is not surprising. I was anticipating that they would do something clever, they did not.

Both Justin Kirk and Eric Lange have been promoted to regulars for season two.  Not too surprised with Kirk since Hamilton Berger is obviously going to be a big character going forward, but it looks like Holcomb is going to continue to be involved, so I'm curious to see what is in store for that character next season.

• Love 3

Jack Amiel & Michael Begler Ink Big Overall Deal With HBO, Join ‘Perry Mason’ As Showrunners; Ron Fitzgerald & Rolin Jones ExitJack Amiel & Michael Begler Ink Big Overall Deal With HBO, Join ‘Perry Mason’ As Showrunners; Ron Fitzgerald & Rolin Jones Exit

The Knick creators, executive producers and showrunners Jack Amiel and Michael Begler are returning to the HBO fold with a rich three-year overall deal. Under the pact, said to be in the eight-figure range, the duo have been tapped as writers, executive producers and showrunners for Season 2 of HBO’s drama series Perry Mason starring Matthew Rhys. They replace the Perry Mason reboot’s creators Ron Fitzgerald and Rolin Jones who served as writers/showrunners on Season 1. 

Perry Mason Season 2 May Film In Winter

Perry Mason Season 2 may start filming in the winter.

Tatiana Maslany won't be back as Sister Alice McKeegan.

The series was renewed during the airing of the first season and will bring back Matthew Rhys, (John Lithgow, I am not sure why), Juliet Rylance, Shea Whigham, and Chris Chalk for the upcoming season, as well as Justin Kirk and Eric Lange as series regulars after both were recurring in season one. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

...The series was renewed during the airing of the first season and will bring back Matthew Rhys, (John Lithgow, I am not sure why), Juliet Rylance, Shea Whigham, and Chris Chalk for the upcoming season, as well as Justin Kirk and Eric Lange as series regulars after both were recurring in season one. 

Short answer: Because John Lithgow is an awesome actor.
But if you are referring to the fact that his character died last season, I guess we'll get sepia-filtered flashbacks? Hopefully his character is more than a Bizarro Jiminy Cricket type of character sitting metaphorically on Perry's shoulder, reminding him of what not to do, or of what he can get away with.
Ooo! Maybe E.B. was actually mu-u-u-r-r-dered, and Perry & Co. will be on the case!
Or, it may just be uncovering more to the financial story that drove E.B. to suicide.

Anyway, if they aren't filming until "winter" (December?) when should we expect it to begin airing?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Anyway, if they aren't filming until "winter" (December?) when should we expect it to begin airing?

The article seemed to suggest that there were no concrete plans for when they would start filming. Winter seemed to be a vague guess at best.

• Useful 2

New cast additions for season 2 and info. about the setting.

https://deadline.com/2021/11/perry-mason-season-2-katherine-waterston-hope-davis-new-cast-diarra-kilpatrick-promoted-to-series-regular-1234868184/

I'd forgotten that the first season, and apparently the second season, is set during the Depression.

I think the old series was set much later right, like the '50s or the '60s?

So is Perry suppose to be in his 20s in the HBO show while he was what in his 50s or 60s on the old TV show?

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, aghst said:

So is Perry suppose to be in his 20s in the HBO show while he was what in his 50s or 60s on the old TV show?

I don't think the HBO series and the classic series are meant to be connected. The HBO series is set in the decade the first books were published.

• Useful 4

In depth recap of the Season 2 new cast announcements.

Season 2 takes place months after last season’s Dodson trial. Perry Mason (Matthew Rhys) has moved off the farm, ditched his milk truck, and swapped his leather jacket for a pressed suit. Perry Mason and Della Street (Juliet Rylance) are pursuing civil cases, wills and contracts, during the height of the Great Depression. There is little in their caseload for their lead detective Paul Drake (Chris Chalk) to do, so Paul Drake often does some freelancing. An open-and-closed case overtakes the city of Los Angeles and Perry Mason’s pursuit of justice reveals that not everything is always as it seems.

(L-R)   Katherine Waterston,    Hope Davis,     Diarra Kilpatrick
Katherine-Waterston-Hope-Davis-and-Diarr

Diarra Kilpatrick, who plays Paul Drake’s wife Clara Drake, is now a series regular. With the new baby on her hands, Clara and Paul move in with Clara's brother’s family. Clara feels like the walls closing in, yet she has her husband’s back amidst increasingly challenging dynamics she feels at home.

Jon-Chaffin-e1636050278664.jpeg?w=300

Jon Chaffin (BMF) will play Clara Drake’s brother, Morris. Morris has a boisterous energy and Clara and Paul owe him a great debt of gratitude for letting them stay under his roof. Morris is always looking for ways to support his family, even in these desperate times due to the Depression.

Katherine Waterston (the Fantastic Beasts, Alien: Covenant) will play Ginny Aimes, the "perfect" teacher at the private school where Perry reluctantly sends his son, Teddy. Perry discovers he’s happy his kid is in Ginny’s hands — and finds he might need some of her sunshine for himself, as well. (love interest?) 

Peter Mendoza 
PETER-MENDOZA-credit-Lucas-Nolan-photogr

Fabrizio Guido (Mr. Iglesias) will play Rafael Gallardo, a talented artist with the heart of a poet. Peter Mendoza (NCIS) will play  Rafael's brother, Mateo Gallardo. Despite being raised on a farm, the brothers wanted to come to Los Angeles, despite having to endure desperate living conditions. These two brothers now find themselves charged with murder, awaiting trial and could face execution. The odds couldn’t be more stacked against them.

Onohoua Rodriguez (Veronica Mars) will play the Gallardo brothers’ aunt Luisa Gallardo. Luisa is determined to get her nephews out of this situation. Fearing that the court of public opinion will overshadow a fair trial, Luisa seeks out the help of a more caring attorney than the public defender her nephews were assigned.

JeeYoungHan-credit-Jonathan-Lee-e1636050

Jee Young Han (Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist) will play Marion Kang. Fresh out of secretarial school, Marion becomes the new face of the Perry Mason Law Office. Marion has a few tricks up her sleeve that will keep Perry and Della constantly on their feet, and never underestimate her meticulous organizational skills.

Hope Davis (Succession) will play a badass, no-nonsense businesswoman, Camilla Nygaard, who is imressed by Della Street’s ambition and takes her under her wing. As a cultured woman, Camilla cares about her health and fitness and uses her wealth to bring art and culture to Los Angeles. 

Cast Returning for Season 2 include Eric Lange (Detective Holcomb) and Justin Kirk (Hamilton Burger).

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

HBO Series ‘Perry Mason’ Adds ‘Marriage Story’ & ‘Blue Bayou’ Actor Mark O’Brien

Mark-OBrien-Perry-Mason-Rhys.jpg?w=681&h

Mark O’Brien has a recurring guest star role as Thomas Milligan in the eight episode second season of HBO’s Perry Mason.

Thomas Milligan is an ambitious Los Angeles Deputy District Attorney, who is an aggressive attack dog in court as he strives to make his mark and ascend to greater heights, no matter whose blood he has to spill to get there.

• Love 3

Perry Mason’ Season 2 Adds Paul Raci, Sean Astin, Tommy Dewey, Jen Tullock to Cast

perry-mason-casting.jpg?w=681&h=383&crop

Paul Raci as “Lydell McCutcheon” – a self-made power player who built LA, along with his fortune, off the city’s vast oil fields. Lydell has sired both a lucrative empire and an ambitious son incapable of commanding it.

Jen Tullock as “Anita St. Pierre” – a successful screenwriter and the rare woman who’s made a name for herself in a man’s world. Stylish, confident, and witty, Anita crashes into Della’s world and shows her a side of life and love that she’s been missing.

Tommy Dewey as “Brooks McCutcheon” – the scion of the wealthiest oil family in LA. He’s charming, connected and eager to prove himself. He constantly questions whether that self has the talent to rise to the heights to which own father ascended.

Sean Astin as “Sunny Gryce” – embodies the American Dream… to a fault. Perry and Della’s new client, he’s a force to be reckoned with on the battlefield that is dueling supermarkets in town, and he’ll make sure he gets his money’s worth out of his fancy new attorneys.

Shea Whigham moves from a main character to recurring as “Pete Strickland” – Strickland has a brotherly rapport with Perry and a cheerfully rakish demeanor that wins friends and influences damsels. Now working for the District Attorney’s office, Strickland’s relationship with Perry will be strained as they find themselves on opposite sides of this season’s case.

It’s so hard to get back into a show when it’s been off for so long. Who can remember. The 2 minute recap they give before the new season is not informative enough & who wants to rewatch the whole season. I liked this show but I don’t remember it! 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

It’s so hard to get back into a show when it’s been off for so long. Who can remember. The 2 minute recap they give before the new season is not informative enough & who wants to rewatch the whole season. I liked this show but I don’t remember it! 

I don't think there is going to be much continuity between the two seasons since everybody is going to be in a much different place than they were in Season One. It is probably better to just watch Season Two with just an understanding of where the returning characters were at the end of Season One, because they are all going to be vastly different by Season Two.

• Love 3
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I don't think there is going to be much continuity between the two seasons since everybody is going to be in a much different place than they were in Season One. It is probably better to just watch Season Two with just an understanding of where the returning characters were at the end of Season One, because they are all going to be vastly different by Season Two.

👆Sounds like a plan. 😎

And, note to self and others: "...https://releasedate.me/perry-mason/#:~:text=Perry Mason season 2. TV Show will return on [Sunday] August 7th%2C 2022

ETA: 
 Or not. See below👇

Edited by shapeshifter