Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E18: Oh Dip, She's Having a Baby

"Oh Dip, She's Having a Baby" - When Sharon goes into labor, Poppy and the gang step up to help her get to the hospital, telling each of their own birth stories to help distract her from Ron's absence, on an all-new episode of "Single Parents," WEDNESDAY, APRIL 15 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EDT), on ABC. Episodes can also be viewed the next day on demand and on Hulu.

Dammit.  I knew they were likely setting up Poppy deciding she wanted another child and Douglas probably not the minute they revealed Sharon was pregnant.

They'll probably have them on the brink of a breakup just at the point they put Will and Angie.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, anna0852 said:

$20 says a game of 'hide the pregnancy' is in progress with Leighton

Yep, that boxy sweater was the giveaway. Please let it stay that way (I can't remember if she slept with Derek or not).

I'm just so happy this show is back. I knew as soon as Will started that Sophie's birth story was pure BS (Seasons of Love had me cackling tho), but the true story surprised me. I'm so used to overbearing!dad Will, I assumed he was always like that. 

Of the other birth stories: I felt sorry for Angie, but it was absolutely on brand for her; Douglas was predictable; I always forget Miggy has a kid (bring back Baby Jack, he's so adorable!), and Rory will now forever be known as Smoke Monster to me. 

Finally, I loved that everyone agreed that Gaveltown is awful, but that the twist in episode 7 is worth it. Based on some of the things I've watched since social distancing, I can relate.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Dammit.  I knew they were likely setting up Poppy deciding she wanted another child and Douglas probably not the minute they revealed Sharon was pregnant.

I hope he doesn't cave, but he probably will. He's what, fifty? (Brad Garrett is 60; not sure how old Douglas is supposed to be.) It's not unreasonable for someone that age not to want to start over. I would assume someone that age doesn't want to start over.

I love Miggy. I cracked up at "Oh dip, she's having a baby!" 

• Love 7

I got kind of emotional when they flashbacked to everyone seeing their babies for the first time, and finding out that Angie named Graham after the craps dealer who came to visit her in the hospital, I wont lie. 

Its so great to have this show back, I really hope that this baby thing with Douglas and Poppy wont end with them breaking up. The "we have to break up because one of us wants kids and the other doesn't" is a super common way to break up TV couples, and I dont want to see that! 

"Guys, I think I might be into Miggy." 

Angie is basically me when I try to get people into new shows to binge. "The pilot is awful, the second episode is a different show...but the seventh episode has a twist that makes it all worth it!" 

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 4
47 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

The "we have to break up because one of us wants kids and the other doesn't" is a super common way to break up TV couples, and I dont want to see that! 

I actually find it refreshing because it’s a completely sensible reason to break up - there’s no way to compromise. I particularly like seeing it on TV because most of the time they have someone and decide s/he wants (more) kids after all. I find it refreshing when someone is like, “I don’t want kids, there’s nothing wrong with me for not wanting kids, and if YOU want kids we should break up because we’re fundamentally incompatible.” (On This Is Us, Zoe is my favorite of Kevin’s love interests but I love that the show had her stick to her guns and break up with Kevin because she doesn’t want kids and he does.)

This is the kind of show where they’d have Douglas say “you know what, let’s have a baby,” despite the fact that it’s totally reasonable for a man his age not to want to start over with a newborn. I would love it if they had Poppy go the other way and say, you know what, I’m good with the kids we have.

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 8
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I got kind of emotional when they flashbacked to everyone seeing their babies for the first time, and finding out that Angie named Graham after the craps dealer who came to visit her in the hospital, I wont lie. 

Same. What a sweet moment for Angie, although it was hard to believe she was a grunge/rocker chick in her early 20s and became an average suburban mom within 9 years, lol.

I'm with Angie - I think I'm into Miggy. What a delightful character. The actor has a joie de vivre in his performance that somehow makes his slacker tendencies (like forcing your ex to give birth in a gas station bathroom) endearing when they should be infuriating.

Welp, they're ramping up Will/Angie, so it guess it's time for Poppy/Douglas to go on a break because according to sitcoms, the alpha and beta couple can't be happy at the same time? We called this baby fight months ago.

I've seen the teasers for the literal Will They/Won't they and I'm......not exciting for the cringefest of TK and LM forcing romance between Will and Angie. They just don't have that kind of chemistry and that's not a bad thing. Women don't always have to fuck their best friend because he's a dude. I wish the show would leave them alone.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Empress1 said:

I love Miggy. I cracked up at "Oh dip, she's having a baby!" 

His line delivery for this was hysterical.  Followed by him putting his hat on her protruding belly.  Perfection.

Actually, everything about Miggy in this was solid gold.  He was the MVP.  I love that his story turned out to be prophetic.  "Hello old friend, daddy's home."

I love that they got Vanessa Beyer to come back for the flashbacks.

Also them giving her beef jerky to bite down on just... was so disgusting.  I swear a LOL'ed like crazy.

I hope that Poppy's  desire to have another baby is just momentary.  The show does NOT need another kid or baby. 

The last bit with them was cute, tho.

• Love 3
On 4/16/2020 at 3:55 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Welp, they're ramping up Will/Angie, so it guess it's time for Poppy/Douglas to go on a break because according to sitcoms, the alpha and beta couple can't be happy at the same time? We called this baby fight months ago.

Douglas' house  doesn't have a room for Rory to live in, anyway. Remember how Angie and Graham had to sleep in the sauna because there's no guest room?

Where were all the kids? Clearly not at Douglas' house with Tony.

On 4/16/2020 at 3:08 PM, meep.meep said:

I was disappointed that Tony was not summoned to deal with Sharon.

Where was the midwife, Tabitha Q, who was part of the bathtub birth plan? The obvious solution was to contact the midwife and let her convince Sharon to meet her back at Sharon & Ron's place so that most of the plan could proceed.

On 4/16/2020 at 6:00 PM, DearEvette said:

I love that they got Vanessa Beyer to come back for the flashbacks

Me, too.

On 4/17/2020 at 12:45 AM, anna0852 said:

I could tell for a few weeks because her face is slightly fuller. She looks cute.

Finally, Douglas finds out he's having twins when Rory is a month old, making Rory maybe 6-7 months older then the twins. Does this fit in with the information that weve been given that he is now 11 and at least Graham and probably Sophie are still 9?

Edited by ItCouldBeWorse