Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E17: Pasta by Hudson; Goumi; Critter Pricker; The Frozen Farmer

JTMacc99
  • Start Topic

An Italian cuisine business; a fashion line that provides a functional solution to a common problem for babies; a humane pest control solution; a former beauty queen turns one of the biggest issues in farming into a business opportunity.

7 minutes ago, JTMacc99 said:

Once again, the mother who thinks she has revolutionized child-rearing. Who was it who invested in the squiggly sock thing? All they would have to do is add mittens to their inventory to knock this off. Would someone really pay >$100 for a sleeper with socks and mittens attached that your kid will out-grow in 3 months? I can see someone doing it as a baby shower gift; however, that wouldn't lead to repeat customers. 

• Love 4

I didnt understand the rush to invest in the pasta guy--does he have more than one location? granted his stuff sounds fabulous and I wish I had one by me, but this surprised me a bit.

• Love 1

If the raccoon idea works, it should be a great hit.     

The pasta by Hudson man wanted the money to expand to additional locations, in food courts and markets.     The biggest issue for me is his prices, and he won't be as profitable in areas that sell for lower amounts.     

Since I hate crying on a pitch, the Frozen Farmer, or whatever it's called now did nothing for me.    

The baby thing was over-priced, and a pair of mittens would work just as well.   

• Love 3
18 hours ago, nlkm9 said:

I didnt understand the rush to invest in the pasta guy--does he have more than one location? granted his stuff sounds fabulous and I wish I had one by me, but this surprised me a bit.

Apparently, none of the sharks have ever been to Noodles & Co. It is the same restaurant franchise, but it  doesn't use fresh pasta, currently. All they would have to do is add fresh to their menus to knock this guy off.

• Love 2

The first thing I thought of was Noodles & Co! Glad to read it wasn't just me. Yes it's not fresh pasta but it's decent & at a price& speed I find dependable.

I guess the raccoon repellent thingy would be useful in points of access that humans or pets wouldn’t use....roof lines, balcony ledges, under porches or decks.  But the Sharks all made the same comment about causing injury to family or guests if you forget to pick up the stabby strips.  I guess if raccoons pooping in my pool was a big enough problem, I would get into the habit of laying out the devices every night , then pick them up every morning, but a person would need to be hyper vigilant about doing both.

Baby socks and mitten ladies were ridiculously over priced.  It’s a one time buy as a new baby gift, maybe.  And only for a certain circle of baby registries.  Besides, it’s a short period of time infants need the mittens.  And there already are no-slip baby socks out there.

Americans love to eat, and pasta and frozen treats are forever being added to store shelves.  These 2 food business will probably do well for a period of time, but either get bought out by a bigger brand or fade away when taste or diets trends change.

4 hours ago, eel21788 said:

Apparently, none of the sharks have ever been to Noodles & Co. It is the same restaurant franchise, but it  doesn't use fresh pasta, currently. All they would have to do is add fresh to their menus to knock this guy off.

And add spaghetti squash!!

• Love 1
23 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

I guess if raccoons pooping in my pool was a big enough problem, I would get into the habit of laying out the devices every night , then pick them up every morning, but a person would need to be hyper vigilant about doing both.

For safety reasons, there should be a pool cover in place anytime the pool is unattended. That would eliminate the need for spikes and keep both raccoons and children out of the pool.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, eel21788 said:

For safety reasons, there should be a pool cover in place anytime the pool is unattended. That would eliminate the need for spikes and keep both raccoons and children out of the pool.

We have an inground (12x20)  and my neighbor has an above ground (18’ oval).  By law in my state pools need to have a locked gate around the yard perimeter for safety reasons.  I couldn’t imagine having to cover and uncover either style pool on a daily basis!  

• Love 1
3 hours ago, eel21788 said:

They already have zoodles.

I could swear he had the squash as well. Anyway looks great and would love to have one near me but seems unlikely 

The market surely does not need another premium ice cream. And at that price, most people will want it to be organic.

Having said that, I feel sorry for these people who are lucky enough to get a deal, and now a lot of these business are probably not going to make it. 😞

• Love 4
On 3/31/2020 at 3:47 PM, BusyOctober said:

We have an inground (12x20)  and my neighbor has an above ground (18’ oval).  By law in my state pools need to have a locked gate around the yard perimeter for safety reasons.  I couldn’t imagine having to cover and uncover either style pool on a daily basis!  

I've seen too many post-drowning children with brain damage. I'd invest in an electric retractable pool cover. Safety first. 

Beauty Pageant Queen just summed up what most people hate about BPQs in that short presentation.

"I don't know much but I'm married to a farmer and I'm a BEAUTY PAGEANT QUEEN."  {Tears}

• Love 4
On 3/30/2020 at 11:43 AM, eel21788 said:

Apparently, none of the sharks have ever been to Noodles & Co. It is the same restaurant franchise, but it  doesn't use fresh pasta, currently.

I'd be surprised if any of the sharks have ever been to Noodles & Co., actually.  Not really their scene, I imagine.  And they might not have heard of them, unless maybe about their struggles.  They had a couple of locations in Austin at one point, and both closed.  Still seem to do pretty well in Colorado, but they're constantly monkeying with their menu and their pricing structure.

Actually, that reminds me--I was on a tasting panel for Noodles about a year ago.  They were trying out some gnocchi and maybe a sweet potato pasta, and some other shapes, none of which I've seen on a menu.  The problem with the zoodles (zucchini noodles) is that they're too watery--the macaroni and cheese made with zoodles tastes divine, but at the end, there's lot of cheese-tinged water in the bottom of the bowl.

Back to the show--what got me was that Mark said something about how if he could get that dish for 400 calories or whatever delivered, he'd have it every night.  Which is the opposite of me.  If I'm ordering food in a restaurant, I aim for the highest calorie per dollar ratio.  No way I'm paying $10 for 400 calories.  😀

Am I the only parent in the world that never put mittens on my babies?  Not to mention matching said mittens with a very expensive onesie.

To me, this seemed like a very expensive solution to something that is not a problem.

• Love 1

I Had some of the cheap baby mittens 6 pack for like five dollars or something and I think I put them on my first baby once, they fell off she didn’t scratch herself so I never even attempted to put them on again. Glad I didn’t spend or have a baby shower gifter spend some ridiculous amount on them! 

Most newborn outfits now have little fold over cuffs anyway... which is the age you really need them since the little babies scratch their faces all the time... plus the cuffs can't fall off/get lost etc.

On 4/4/2020 at 4:50 PM, StatisticalOutlier said:

Still seem to do pretty well in Colorado, but they're constantly monkeying with their menu and their pricing structure.

The monkeying with their menu is what made them lose my husband as a customer.  He used to love their whole grain pasta dishes, but then they got rid of whole grain pasta entirely, which makes no sense in a health-conscious society.  The zoodles is def not the same if you want actual pasta.  Also Noodles doesn't have the choose-your-own flexibility in terms of base and sauce that this guy did.