Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E17: After the Fire

• Start Topic

I unfortunately didn’t get a chance to read every single comment on this episode so if I am being repetitive, I apologize.  I had an additional thought on Randall’s obsession in getting his mother into this clinical trial.  There is a huge part of his narcissistic belief that he knows what is best for Rebecca, but  I thought there was additionally an underlying current of punishment. Rebecca took his birth father away from him (from Randall’s point of view) for all but 1 year or so of his life, so now he is going to push her into being away from her family during a critical  part of her life.  He blatantly guilt-tripped her into doing this trial when she was very clear about her desire to spend quality time with her family while she could still enjoy and remember them.  He may believe that he is doing this in Rebecca’s best interests, but I think subconsciously he wants to punish her.  Just a thought.  

One other thought:  Mandy Moore is killing it as Rebecca.  How gut wrenching the decision to agree to Randall’s wishes was so exquisitely expressed by her facial  expressions alone.  She deserves an Emmy nomination /win for her work.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 9
21 hours ago, ShadowFacts said:

I think she got a lead from a bus driver, who referred to him as Shakespeare, because he was always writing on the bus.

Also because his name is William. She saw the bus stop he got on and went back to it, the bus driver seemed to know him well.

• Love 1
On 3/23/2020 at 10:34 AM, Rohirrim said:

Randall paid a private investigator to find William.

Randall’s always been a jerk. He went through the trouble of paying a PI to track down William, just so he could go yell at him and brag about his $100,000 car.

Edited by Jeddah
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, Jeddah said:

Randall’s always been a jerk. He went through the trouble of paying a PI to track down William, just so he could go yell at him and brag about his $100,000 car.

$140,000. That he paid in cash.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
34 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

$140,000. That he paid in cash.

My sincerest apology to Randall! I can’t believe I thought he drove a car that cost a measly $100,000.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
On 3/24/2020 at 6:44 PM, Jeddah said:

My sincerest apology to Randall! I can’t believe I thought he drove a car that cost a measly $100,000.

Haha.....boys and their toys......

I understand Randall wanting Rebecca to do the trial and I even understand how he thinks she may “owe” him, but voicing all this to Rebecca is not ok.  It’s ok to think it, but not to actually guilt her into it.  Randall was a good son up until that very moment.

• Love 1

Admittedly, I fast-forwarded through most of Randall's Retcon, but I think it would have been more effective if they had adult Randall dressed in his painfully perfect suit and tie playing the part of teen Randall because ultimately that version of the past was filtered through adult sensibilities.

The emotional manipulation of Rebecca was reprehensible.  Isn't it just months later that she has the meltdown in the Chinese restaurant?   Clearly she's losing ground fast and if she goes off to St. Louis she will never be able to get back the remaining "good" months she has left.  

But as long as Randall's in a good place I suppose nothing else matters.   Wow.  He's poaching from Rebecca, Kate and Kevin's lives to make his own day-to-day itinerary more livable.   It seems almost criminal.