Type keyword(s) to search

SNL Classic: Re-Airings, Past Casts, Past Sketches, Past Hosts, the Past

vb68
  • Start Topic

Conan put up a Bill Hader interview from December 2005. I wonder if this is his very first interview (major one anyway). He looks adorable and also incredibly terrified. And he is still telling some of these stories all these years later. 

• Love 4

I've been watching the year Jenny Slate was on. She was pretty good, I know she swore or whatever but I would've liked to see her stay. Abby Elliott on the other hand was useless.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, cleo said:

I've been watching the year Jenny Slate was on. She was pretty good, I know she swore or whatever but I would've liked to see her stay. Abby Elliott on the other hand was useless.

The show burned through so many talented women at that time.

I know she's done a lot of things since SNL but I just saw Jenny in the new Lonely Island video and I kept thinking to myself "This is probably the type of role she would have been stuck with on SNL." (she was a love interest for a few scenes, reacting to the men goofing off).

• Love 4

Bill Hader is going to be interviewed on Today this weekend and part of the interview was a surprise meeting with Keith Morrison, the Dateline host he parodied so well.

A pretty decent article about SNL's history with queer characters and humor (I don't think they went into as much detail as they could have about some of the worst, but would anyone want to read that anyway?).

https://www.polygon.com/tv/2019/5/29/18643023/snl-skits-gay-lesbian-queer-lgbtq-sketches-nbc-saturday-night-live

• Love 1

Randy Quaid is continuing his, frankly, heartbreaking mental breakdown, which isn't news to anyone most likely, but I'd suggest avoiding the tweet going around with him as it is one big seizure warning. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Because I sometimes have a cynical sense of humor,bordering on inappropriate..I was listening to the audio of some highlights of Norm at the Update desk during the OJ years,while at work today..and lol my butt off.."its official;murder is now legal in the state of California".......uncomfortable laughter is my favorite...

Edited by lou ann b
Error
  • Love 2

The SNL Youtube channel has started putting up several videos every weekend, running through about two seasons per weekend. (they also added another video yesterday - Landshark III, maybe because the other Landshark video is doing pretty well in views). This is one of my favorite sketches of all time, and one of those moments that reminds me of what SNL can be, so I'm glad it's finally on Youtube (I'm sorry that so many countries will never be able to see it).

• Love 2
(edited)
9 hours ago, vb68 said:

I have wondered before if she cringes over "Jane, you ignorant slut" now.  That has not aged well to say the least.

If it's interpreted as a hilarious slam of Jane Curtin, it definitely hasn't (and it was gross at the time). However as an indictment of Dan Aykroyd's character's misogyny and wrongheaded arguments I rather like it. 

Edited by SomeTameGazelle
  • Love 6

I was about to post that! The first time I saw that clip was when Comedy Central showed reruns of Steve Martin hosting the 1989 season finale and it was the day Gilda died. I remember him being so choked up he could and then showing the sketch and applause when it got to Gilda's first closeup.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

I was about to post that! The first time I saw that clip was when Comedy Central showed reruns of Steve Martin hosting the 1989 season finale and it was the day Gilda died. I remember him being so choked up he could and then showing the sketch and applause when it got to Gilda's first closeup.

I've watched that enough times to where I was thrown when I watched this version and there wasn't the applause for Gilda. It's one of those very emotional moments and another reminder of the odd, heartbreaking twists of fate that pop up with SNL (Steve just happening to be the host on that very night). 

• Love 1

This is a pretty good video showing the filming of the promo for Alec Baldwin and the B-52s. A reminder of how time-consuming and annoying it must be to do these.

It was also interesting looking through old promos and seeing the years they would have recurring characters appear. Most of the promos had recurring characters I never wanted to see again (and who reminded me why I feel the show mostly stopped creating good recurring characters after the late '90s), but they did have one with one of my very favorite characters (I think it may have even been his first appearance):

On 7/28/2019 at 3:29 PM, lou ann b said:

That's awesome.And 12 year old Conan O'Brien too!

1 hour ago, Pete Martell said:

And Bob Odenkirk as the page. 

And if I'm not mistaken, a cigarette ad on the back of the magazine.

• Love 1
On 8/3/2019 at 9:37 AM, Pete Martell said:

Happy Fun Ball is finally on SNL's channel! It should have been uploaded on the very first day. 

This was one of the most bizarre and hilarious "commercials" ever.

I heard What Is Love on the radio the other day and found myself bopping my head like those idiots.

Remember this classic?

And this terrific version by some college students;

Edited by Camille
  • Love 2

A few days ago Forbes put out an oral history on the Wayne Gretzky episode, which features Gretzky, Dana Carvey, and Kevin Nealon. Lots of stories of how lovely Phil Hartman was, and some details of Gretzky being a longtime fan of the show as well as his feelings about hosting (he initially wanted to turn them down but his wife said he'd regret it if he did). I'm linking the Twitter version as the author adds a few extra details, one of them being that Gretzky turned down a Liar sketch with Lovitz.

https://twitter.com/ScottKingMedia/status/1167085495450505217

Edited by Pete Martell

That show featured two of my favorite sketches...

The locker room sketch with Jan doing Bette Davis.  "Raymond, why must they play hockey in a room that is so COLD?  I WOULD LIKE a DRINK!"

And Waikiki Hockey, of course.

Sweet memories.

• Love 2
On 9/20/2019 at 12:04 PM, ajsnaves said:

I did OK.  There were a few that came from my bye years during college that I missed.

The only one I didn't know was The Californians, because in spite of my intense love for Bill Hader I have never sat through an entire sketch of that mess. 

I guess it tells you how few recurring characters SNL has popularized in recent years when you get two Stefon moments and one WWWT, and...The Californians.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:30 PM, Camille said:

Anyone remember this classic?

Advertisers actually pulled out (so to speak) because of it.

I often think of that era of the show as being more upscale and then moments like this remind me they could go for the crass fun too.

(and yes, Jan is so adorable)

Looks like they brought those characters back the next season in one sketch. 

(if any of you ever have time to kill, you may enjoy this review site, which started all the way back at the first season and is now near the end of 1994-1995).

https://onesnladay.com/2019/06/20/october-20-1990-george-steinbrenner-the-time-s16-e3/