Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E13: Chunkies

“Chunkies” – After Angie decides it’s finally time for Graham to meet his dad, Derek (Adam Brody), sickness overtakes the household. Derek is forced to either step in and help or head back out to his van. Meanwhile, when Sophie overhears some big news about Will and Tracy, she takes it upon herself to intervene; and the twins face their first professional failure on an all-new episode of “Single Parents,” WEDNESDAY, JAN. 22 (9:31-10:00 p.m. EST), on ABC. (TV-PG, L) Episodes can also be viewed the next day on ABC.com, the ABC app and Hulu.

I have to think that Leighton and Adam didn't have to work too hard to be convincing in the scene of getting Graham settled in bed 😁

And how sweet was it that Douglas was helping Graham get ready to meet his dad?

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 7

Glad Will and Tracy are over, and also glad it doesn't look like they'll turn her into an evil ex. They could have easily done it since she doesn't like Sophie or Angie. They're just at different stages of life and broke up like adults.

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Glad Will and Tracy are over, and also glad it doesn't look like they'll turn her into an evil ex. They could have easily done it since she doesn't like Sophie or Angie. They're just at different stages of life and broke up like adults.

Now the obstacle between Will and Angie will be Derek.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Empress1 said:

Now the obstacle between Will and Angie will be Derek.

They better do that, because otherwise, there is no reason in the world why Angie and Will wouldn't already be dating now that Will is single. 

• Love 5
18 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

They better do that, because otherwise, there is no reason in the world why Angie and Will wouldn't already be dating now that Will is single. 

It's actually getting on my nerves. I don't feel any type of way about Will and Angie as a couple; I just get tired of will they/won't they pretty quickly. It would be one thing if the show were taking pains to note that they are Just Friends (on All Rise, the main character and her best friend are opposite sex and she's happily married; my theory is they gave her a husband to ensure that folks won't ship them), but they're doing the opposite, so just put them together already.

I'm sure the next step is going to be "It's been really nice having Derek around and Graham has really taken to him, maybe we should give it a shot for him ..."

I will say, I did like the way the breakup was handled. It was very adult. 

Edited by Empress1
  • Love 4

I actually like them well enough as a couple, but yeah, I'd be absolutely fine with them not being a couple if they actually WROTE THEM that way. Instead, they write them as an obvious couple, just that Will has a girlfriend. So now that he doesn't....it's going to be really awkward unless they get Angie with Derek. 

By the way, I get that all shows do this and it is a necessary evil, but ooph, you gotta do a better job of exposition than having Angie explain to Douglas how Derek is coming to visit when Douglas clearly knows, since he is helping Graham put on a suit for the visit!

I love that Doug was helping Graham get ready for Derek.  But it just makes me giggle that Doug's version of that is putting Graham in a nicely tailored suit because of a course a 9 yo would be sitting at home casually doing a "3-D- Puzz" in a suit and tie.

I am down for Breakfast for Dinner!  I could eat it for lunch too. 

I have to do an episode by episode assessment of whether I like Rory or not.  This episode, I did.  I liked his critiques of Sophie's acting and his little observations about what was going on. 

The Sophie/Will plot was actually a pretty clever one.  She was play acting to keep him home so he could stay with his girlfriend.  But seen from another perspective it would look like she was doing it to break him up.  I kinda wish we hadn't known before hand that is what she was doing and only found out with the flashback.  But I am still liked the way it played out.  And am glad that Tracy and Will broke up and that they didn't vilify her to get there.

• Love 6

I agree that it is nice that they gave Tracy a good edit, especially because she and Will are going to continue to work together. 

That, though, makes me curious about something. What is Will's job, exactly? He can't just be a fill-in TV weatherman, can he?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, DearEvette said:

I am down for Breakfast for Dinner!  I could eat it for lunch too. 

I love breakfast food. When I was a kid, sometimes my dad would surprise us with breakfast for dinner and those are some of my fondest memories. I would be all over that restaurant. Tea with liquor too? SIGN ME UP. 

I loved how Poppy made that little "bring it in" gesture when Will was tearing up over his breakup. The friends are really a nice village for each other.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, Brian Cronin said:

That, though, makes me curious about something. What is Will's job, exactly? He can't just be a fill-in TV weatherman, can he?

He's the regular weatherman.  Tracy is... a producer?  Something behind the scenes I think.

It's hard to ship Will and Angie (and I have since the beginning) when Leighton and Brody have such amazing chemistry.  Not every couple has on-screen chemistry, but they are so sweet and cute together.  That scene where Derek was anticipating all of Angie's needs was well-done and not cloying.  I kinda loved it.

One thing I didn't love was how much Angie keeps throwing in Derek's face that she was doing it alone for 9 years.  Wasn't that her choice?  

19 hours ago, DearEvette said:

I have to do an episode by episode assessment of whether I like Rory or not.  This episode, I did.  I liked his critiques of Sophie's acting and his little observations about what was going on. 

I don't do an episode by episode assessment.  I never like Rory.  For him to look disgusted while he notes someone's "cheap shoes" really pissed me off.  Not everyone can afford super expensive shoes.  I think he's an entitled snob and I can't stand him. 

• Love 6
26 minutes ago, Whimsy said:

I don't do an episode by episode assessment.  I never like Rory.  For him to look disgusted while he notes someone's "cheap shoes" really pissed me off.  Not everyone can afford super expensive shoes.  I think he's an entitled snob and I can't stand him. 

Sophie and Graham are the only kids I like. Those twins creep me the fuck out and Rory is too extra.

• Love 1
58 minutes ago, anna0852 said:

Derek literally left Angie in a parking lot when she was pregnant. Alone for 8 years wasn't by choice.

Thanks.  For some reason I was remembering that differently. She has every right to be angry. 

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Whimsy said:

He's the regular weatherman.  Tracy is... a producer?  Something behind the scenes I think.

Guy McCormick is the regular weatherman and he was in the episode! So even when the regular weatherman is in, Will's still there. It doesn't make any sense!

36 minutes ago, Brian Cronin said:

Guy McCormick is the regular weatherman and he was in the episode! So even when the regular weatherman is in, Will's still there. It doesn't make any sense!

Wow.  I guess I really wasn't paying attention to this episode, but now that you say it, I do remember seeing Guy.  

14 hours ago, Whimsy said:

It's hard to ship Will and Angie (and I have since the beginning) when Leighton and Brody have such amazing chemistry.  Not every couple has on-screen chemistry, but they are so sweet and cute together.  That scene where Derek was anticipating all of Angie's needs was well-done and not cloying.  I kinda loved it.

I've always gotten more of a friendship vibe between Will and Angie, even though the show is clearly trying for a slow burn relationship with them. And ever since Derek has shown up, it's really been evident that LM has much more natural romantic chemistry with AB than with TK. I wish they'd go in that direction, because they really sizzle on screen together and it's fun to watch, but I have a feeling Derek is going to break Angie's heart just as soon as she lets her guard down.

As for Angie and Will, I think it would be great if they'd keep them as best friends--it's under-explored territory with a lot of shows and just seems like a more natural fit for both the characters and the actors.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, ElleBee said:

I've always gotten more of a friendship vibe between Will and Angie, even though the show is clearly trying for a slow burn relationship with them. And ever since Derek has shown up, it's really been evident that LM has much more natural romantic chemistry with AB than with TK. I wish they'd go in that direction, because they really sizzle on screen together and it's fun to watch, but I have a feeling Derek is going to break Angie's heart just as soon as she lets her guard down.

As for Angie and Will, I think it would be great if they'd keep them as best friends--it's under-explored territory with a lot of shows and just seems like a more natural fit for both the characters and the actors.

That's my main problem - it's a running gag that Angie is constantly super horny for Derek, but they have a lot of romantic tension and emotional intimacy in their scenes together. The actors really sell their history. Meanwhile, Taran Killam has all the romantic presence of the Pillsbury Doughboy. I just don't buy them being attracted to each other. It's ironic, because Taran Killam's irl wife is Colbie Smulders, who has sexual chemistry with everything with a pulse on Stumptown.

Best friends on comedies don't have to date just because they're m/f!!!

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 2

I like Tracy, but I am glad that she and Will broke up. They are just at different places in their lives, and thats alright, it just means its hard to be together for the long term. Glad that they broke up on good terms and that they will presumably still be able to work together at least. 

Douglas helping Graham get ready to meet his dad was adorable! It was also fun to get some Poppy and Will scenes, as they are probably the pairing that interacts the least one on one of the main group.

• Love 3
On 1/24/2020 at 4:54 PM, Brian Cronin said:

I thought Will was the weekend weatherman and other guy is the weekday weatherman. If they're both meteorologists I guess they have reason to be at the station at the same time sometimes? If they're both doing actual prep on the forecast or something? But only one is on air depending on the day.

• Love 1
On 1/23/2020 at 4:01 PM, Brian Cronin said:

Before he got the part-time weather gig, he was a full-time stay-at-home dad.  I believe Sophie's mom agreed to pay "alimony" (in quotes, because they weren't divorced) and child support, when she chose to go off and do what she wanted while Will remained with Sophie.

On 2/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Before he got the part-time weather gig, he was a full-time stay-at-home dad.  

I could be misremembering, as it's been a while...but I could swear that Will had initially worked from home in some weather-related capacity? They hadn't really specified, so i kind of assumed he did some kind of research or whatnot.

Anyone else remember this, or am I totally losing it?

• Love 1
On 1/23/2020 at 4:01 PM, Brian Cronin said:

On 1/24/2020 at 11:50 AM, Whimsy said:

On 2/19/2020 at 12:51 AM, ItCouldBeWorse said:

Before he got the part-time weather gig, he was a full-time stay-at-home dad.  I believe Sophie's mom agreed to pay "alimony" (in quotes, because they weren't divorced) and child support, when she chose to go off and do what she wanted while Will remained with Sophie.

On 3/3/2020 at 7:16 PM, SnarkySheep said:

I could be misremembering, as it's been a while...but I could swear that Will had initially worked from home in some weather-related capacity? They hadn't really specified, so i kind of assumed he did some kind of research or whatnot.

Anyone else remember this, or am I totally losing it?

Slowly catching up on this while stuck inside.

I believe that in Season 1, they established that Will was receiving some money from Mia, and he was working from home - I believe some kind of meteorological analysis/weather mapping stuff?