Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E02: Episode 2

I like the show, but I feel it's trying too hard with the surrealism. In the first season a little of that went a long way. This time it seems they're making the age-old mistake of "if it's popular, do it more". A lot of sidekick spinoff shows should have taught them to be wary of that.

• Love 3

I wonder if Lenny's condition is truly irreversible?  Will he spend the whole season astral projecting?

Every time I see or hear Gutierrez, I feel sad.  He always has that forlorn look on his face.  I hope he's able to avoid temptation with the other priest.

Why was Sir John wearing eyeliner?

1 hour ago, rur said:

Is duality a theme this season? Two popes. Two cardinals that look alike, and now Malkovich playing two roles. Or were we not supposed to notice? 

What was Malkovich’s other role besides Brannox?

I think duality is a big theme. In addition to what you have listed, Brannox had a twin brother and the middle way that Brannox advocates represents a compromise between dueling natures of the Church.

1 hour ago, Athena5217 said:

What was Malkovich’s other role besides Brannox?

I take it back. I thought he was also playing Sofia's husband (The one who said he'd heard that Sir John Brannox was very good looking.) But on the third or so watching of the scene, I caught his character's name and checked it against the cast list. He's Tomas Arana. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0032962/?ref_=tt_cl_t19  He looks a lot like Malkovich, and even was incorporating some  facial mannerisms I associate with JM in the scene I mentioned above. 

ETA: So now I'm wondering if this was just a happy casting coincidence or if we'll find out there's some other relationship down the line, since Tomas (also his character's name) seems to be the antithesis of Brannock.

Edited by rur
1 minute ago, rur said:

I take it back. I thought he was also playing Sofia's husband (The one who said he'd heard that Sir John Brannox was very good looking.) But on the third or so watching of the scene, I caught his character's name and checked it against the cast list. He's Tomas Arana. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0032962/?ref_=tt_cl_t19  He looks a lot like Malkovich, and even was incorporating some of JM's facial mannerisms in the scene I mentioned above. 

In the on your knees scene, I thought he sounded a lot like Malkovich which then led me to thinking, is that JM's butt?  That can't be JM's butt.  Seriously, is he in that kind of shape?  I never knew that.  The I realized I was thinking much too hard about John Malkovich's butt - things I never thought I would do.  😄

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

In the on your knees scene, I thought he sounded a lot like Malkovich which then led me to thinking, is that JM's butt?  That can't be JM's butt.  Seriously, is he in that kind of shape?  I never knew that.  The I realized I was thinking much too hard about John Malkovich's butt - things I never thought I would do.  😄

You were not alone! 😉

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Starchild said:

I like the show, but I feel it's trying too hard with the surrealism. In the first season a little of that went a long way. This time it seems they're making the age-old mistake of "if it's popular, do it more". A lot of sidekick spinoff shows should have taught them to be wary of that.

I thought I was watching a Wes Anderson movie quite a few times this episode.  

I usually dislike artsy surrealism for the sake of artsy surrealism, but  I kind of love this show. It even started with a Nun Orgy, unless I misinterpreted.

Question: That was JM hanging at the Shawarma place at the end of the last two episodes. So does Sir John sneak out of his huge estate after his bedtime to lead a double life? Or is Shawarma JM actually not-dead Adam? Or is it Dead Adam enjoying his afterlife?

Edited by marinw

As I noted earlier, I do like the show and I liked the surrealism in the first season. But the incongruous juxtapositions of the first two episodes seemed to go on long enough to steal story time, which is kind of an unpardonable indulgence. Maybe Sorrentino is trying to be David Lynch. I'm not prepared for that here lol.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I'm not giving up on the show just yet but this episode was just a bit too "out there" for my taste.  I agree with @TexasGal that it feels as if I'm watching a Wes Anderson film. 😏

Why is he referred to by the other Cardinals as Sir John and not as Cardinal Brannox? I thought for a while there that he might not even be a Cardinal--technically one doesn't have to be a Cardinal to be named Pope--but then one of them mentioned that he was unable to make it to the previous conclave because of his ailing parents. 

The train scene was weird too. We see the Cardinals in what seemed to be a private cabin having what must certainly be a confidential conversation. I assumed it was a completely separate Papal car. Then the shot pans out and there's not even a closed door between the Cardinals and the general public. WTH?

• Love 1
On 1/22/2020 at 1:54 PM, cpcathy said:

At least give us Jude soon.

I agree with this. As interesting as some of the other characters are, this show is primarily a vehicle for Law. He dominates every scene he's in, even when he's silent. He needs to come back full force soon, or this season will not match the last one.

On 1/21/2020 at 9:00 AM, Starchild said:

To me it looks a lot like music videos, one after the other, the way shots are framed, the sets, the choreography, not just of dances but some movements.

In episode 3, the nuns in that long hall come one by one to a donation bowl in the center and it's all coordinated, one comes to the bowl, drops in some coins and heads back, then the next nun leaves her bedside and heads for the bowl.  It's always one at a time.

They also repeatedly shoot from a distance, through windows in rooms with lights on.

• Love 1

So here's a question: since when did entitled noble families ever encourage all of their male progeny to become Catholic priests?

Is there a 3rd brother we don't know about? A sister with inheritance rights, hiding somewhere?

How did mom and pop expect the estate to be maintained with their sons in a profession that negated all hope of having heirs?

Edited by FemmyV
  • Love 1
On 1/28/2020 at 12:20 PM, scrb said:

To me it looks a lot like music videos, one after the other, the way shots are framed, the sets, the choreography, not just of dances but some movements.

In episode 3, the nuns in that long hall come one by one to a donation bowl in the center and it's all coordinated, one comes to the bowl, drops in some coins and heads back, then the next nun leaves her bedside and heads for the bowl.  It's always one at a time.

They also repeatedly shoot from a distance, through windows in rooms with lights on.

It's certainly shot in a very stylized manner. I suppose that's good but it can be a bit much. 

Thanks for the JM clarification. I thought that was him too. 

On 1/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, peridot said:

I wonder if Lenny's condition is truly irreversible?  Will he spend the whole season astral projecting?

At the end of the last episode he clearly moved his finger. I can't imagine they aren't going to have him wake given the name of the show. 

Jude Law has a producer credit, I think an executive producer credit, on the show.

I think that's how TV networks pay stars.  Not just actor salary but producer salaries.

So the producer credit may be an indication that he will appear.

On 1/28/2020 at 9:25 PM, FemmyV said:

So here's a question: since when did entitled noble families ever encourage all of their male progeny to become Catholic priests?

Is there a 3rd brother we don't know about? A sister with inheritance rights, hiding somewhere?

How did mom and pop expect the estate to be maintained with their sons in a profession that negated all hope of having heirs?

First son inherits...second is to be a priest or minister third son for the army...daughters if good looking used as barter for money and power through marriage...if she doesnt have much to offer then she becomes a nun with an amount of money meaning a dowry to the church to take her in

• Love 2