Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: First Episode

Series premiere.  Following his sudden heart attack, Pope Pius XIII lies in a coma while his followers fervently pray for a miraculous recovery.  As the threat of terrorism and the potential risks of Pius' idolatry loom, Secretary of State Cardinal Voiello is pressured to bring a new pope to power and, with the conclave at a deadlock, makes a hasty move that throws the church into even greater chaos. 

Original air date 2020.01.13

Previous season was so long ago, I can’t remeber why Lenny became so popular.

The voting took too long but Voiello’s puppet let it get to his head.  Threatening to take away their wealth and privilege was too much so they had to off him.

So another candidate enters the picture.

• Love 2

It seems the humor was being amped up this episode by a lot. I watched a bit of the marathon this weekend of Young Pope and was again devastated by Lenny's friend (red haired cardinal) being stabbed in the back of a car and dragged out, dead. Then we get Voiello's doppelganger this episode, quite the switch.

We're in for the entire series, can't wait for Lenny to come back.

• Love 2

More shows should start with Jude Law getting a sponge bath.  In fact, all show should start thusly.

I loved the humor of it all.  Especially when Francis II realized that he now had power. But I also like the humanity of it too, particularly with the Cardinals’ prayers during the Conclave.  Can’t wait for Lenny and John Malkovitch to enter the scenes.

• LOL 4
  • Love 7

I had trouble getting interested again but will keep watching. I do love the human frailty and the humor - I giggled as the tall cardinal held his "skirts" as he walked down the steps, and Pius' jaunty wink to the PR woman.

• Love 3

Love this show. Everything from the sets and costumes to the sometimes absurd, sometimes satiric, sometimes on point depiction of the higher functions of an organization, which in this case is the Vatican. Love the actors. Happy the story was continued.

Kept noting the resemblance between Jude Law and Cary Grant. And, I want one of those sweatshirts.

Just FYI, I also love the absurdity of What We Do in the Shadows.

• Love 2

Pope Francis's first address reminded me of this:

giphy.gif

The look on his face when he realized he could say whatever he wanted was priceless.  Lesson learned by the cardinals, do not elevate someone who takes their vow of poverty very seriously if you want to keep your bling.

• Love 1

So the neon cross is imaginary right?  Or maybe Sorrentino taking liberties about decor in the non-public areas of the Vatican?

Or maybe the influence of Lenny?  I forgot, he had animals brought into the gardens or something like that?

The conclave room is the Sistine Chapel, normally packed with tourists.  But when they have the conclave, guessing nobody but the cardinals get to enter it so the rest of the world doesn't know how it's set up in there?

• Love 1
On 1/14/2020 at 12:32 PM, ajsnaves said:

More shows should start with Jude Law getting a sponge bath.  In fact, all show should start thusly.

I loved the humor of it all.  Especially when Francis II realized that he now had power. But I also like the humanity of it too, particularly with the Cardinals’ prayers during the Conclave.  Can’t wait for Lenny and John Malkovitch to enter the scenes.

My husband commented on how that sponge bath didn’t seem to follow normal procedures, and my answer was, “Its normal for giving Jude Law a sponge bath.”

On 1/14/2020 at 5:52 PM, OoogleEyes said:

Isn't that what Jesus would do, sell everything and open the Vatican's doors to the poor?

I'm kind of sad Francis II died, he was a cheerful fellow!

Hard to say ... I think that part would be consistent with Biblical depictions, but a lot of other things not at all like demanding Easter cake when it’s not Easter, installing cameras in the bathrooms, and threatening to reveal secrets learned in the confessional. But these actions show how imperfectly Jesus’s teachings are implemented by humans—we tend to take what we like and ignore the rest. The sandals were very Jesus though.

I am hoping the Venus of Willendorf (which is not owned by the Vatican in real life) did not get sent to Christie’s and turns up again this season. I think Voiello would have hidden it so it didn’t get sold.

• Love 2

This show certainly wants you to know it's A Show. The music was overwhelming. I don't remember much at all from the last series, but I'm assuming pope Jude Law is going to wake up at some point. I'm looking forward to seeing that.

I thought the voting dragged way way way too long.

On 1/15/2020 at 11:47 AM, FrankOFoley said:

Kept noting the resemblance between Jude Law and Cary Grant. 

I'm glad I'm not the only one seeing the resemblance! Jude Law really has kind of morphed into Cary Grant as he's aged (probably due in part to the amazing hairpiece and make-up/spray-tan team on this show, who I think he should try to get to work on every project he's in. IMO, Jude Law has never looked as beautiful as he does as Pius)! 

On 1/20/2020 at 12:16 PM, Athena5217 said:

My husband commented on how that sponge bath didn’t seem to follow normal procedures, and my answer was, “Its normal for giving Jude Law a sponge bath.”

Ha! I concur!