Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E06: Severed

• Start Topic

This is where it ended for me. The Smith character is so unwatchable that I was fast forwarding so much that I gave up.

I will watch next season if there is one but only if that character is written out.

• Love 2
Just now, juno said:

This is where it ended for me. The Smith character is so unwatchable that I was fast forwarding so much that I gave up.

I will watch next season if there is one but only if that character is written out.

Yeah she is too much.  But the last five eps are good. Despite her. 

2 minutes ago, Impish Dragon said:

Yeah she is too much.  But the last five eps are good. Despite her. 

I will take your advise and sludge my way through. Thanks

Not sure if it is the writing or if Parker Posey is that bad. I am guessing it is both.

Was it ever explained how Robot and SAR got off the Resolute and then crashed back on the planet ?

We know that Robot and SAR were last seen crashing into the Resolute, and according the Resolute logs they evacuated the Resolute shortly afterwards (some 7 months before the Robinsons showed up).  But that doesn't explain how a horse survived for 7 months on it's own.  Or how Scarecrow got out of it's cage ?  

If the contaminant was spread by touch, how did it get into the metal pins in the knee of that crewman ?  That would mean the contaminant was in his bloodstream, so the next person who gets a nosebleed would re-start the contamination.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

If the contaminant was spread by touch, how did it get into the metal pins in the knee of that crewman ?  That would mean the contaminant was in his bloodstream, so the next person who gets a nosebleed would re-start the contamination.

It doesn’t need human tissue to survive so it wouldn’t be bloodborne. They said that it was a subatomic oxidizing catalyst. Based on what they showed they would already be screwed because it is a magical contaminant that causes the metal “dust” to dissolve through skin and clothing.

I don’t like when the show jumps around in time for dramatic effect. Since last weeks episode ended with Penny and the others being trapped by the hole I didn’t realize that the opening scene showing the pins dissolving was a flashback. Initially I missed the 12 hours later and spent most of the episode thinking the plan was a waste of time because of leg pin guy. 

2 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

But that doesn't explain how a horse survived for 7 months on it's own.  Or how Scarecrow got out of it's cage ?  

The horse probably survived the same way Samatha did. I have no clue how that would be because they said that there was no water because power was diverted to maintain life support. 

I’m guessing that SAR let Scarecrow out and probably stole his arm. That’s the only explanation I can come up with for how SAR had two arms when one of his was with the Robinson’s.

There was a nice foreshadowing touch when Will met SAR and thought he was the Robot.  The music was too subdued for a real grand reunion.  I'm glad they are now really together again.

Perhaps the crewman cut his knee on a piece of metal, momentarily bringing the screws in contact with the contaminant.  And if the contaminant is an oxidizer, it seems like you need to remove oxygen to stop the rapid corrosion.  Maybe pump the area full of nitrogen.

I can handwave a lot, but for me leaving the horses outside the safety perimeter with dinosaurs around was un-waveable.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, MisterGlass said:

I can handwave a lot, but for me leaving the horses outside the safety perimeter with dinosaurs around was un-waveable.

Same here.  I thought the horses were in a separate safety perimeter and thought that was insane enough but your idea that they had no perimeter at all would truly be impossible.

Actually, now that you bring up the horses - Isn't it nuts to pretend that the Resolute would be carrying full-grown horses (rather than horse embryos)?  When you're running colony trips for the very vert select few people and weight is such a premium that chocolate is strictly rationed, how much does a horse weigh? And how much does its feed weigh? How many people could have been transported in their places?

• Love 6

That's true.  Chickens and other small animals I can see.  But Don was paid to smuggle steak, so presumably other big animals like cows didn't make the trip, at least not in any number. 

I suppose they could be brood mares for starting the species on Alpha Centauri.  It doesn't seem like them should have a need for horses given their other ground transport options.

The whole metal thing had huge holes in it. (pun intended) They have metal snaps, zippers, not to mention dog tags, clearly visible on their clothing, especially on Don's Members Only jacket.

No protection for the horses? Nothing for the horses to graze on on the planet? How do you house and feed large animals like horses on a ship with limited space? One horse needs 15-20 pounds of hay per day. And why have the child ride the bit-less horse, having to "neck rein" the mount, when mom seems to be the knowledgeable rider?

These episodes are really drawn out. I know the pacing is meant to add suspense, but it's become laughable.

Their trash handling is so 1980's. Surely by 2050, we aren't tossing plastic bags full of compostable garbage down chutes to be compressed.  Good thing Parker Posey uses bright blue bags, not green and grey like everyone else.

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

I just didn't even see the need for the horses at all. The "drop ship" for lack of a better term couldn't fly them closer to the spot where they thought the robot was? Nope. I found that completely stupid. I like the show, but I do get tired of every 20 mins some member of the family being in a life threatening situation.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I just didn't even see the need for the horses at all. The "drop ship" for lack of a better term couldn't fly them closer to the spot where they thought the robot was? Nope. I found that completely stupid. I like the show, but I do get tired of every 20 mins some member of the family being in a life threatening situation.

The horses were nothing more than a plot device to show the robots ability to "grieve." It felt silly and hamfisted, and as you say, unnecessary and contrived.

• Love 3

So close to spacing Dr. Smith...so close... It was kind of funny watching her so not subtlety trying to get people to be the ones who sacrifice themselves was a bit funny in a dark kind of way, but people have to notice that she is evil soon, right? She isnt subtle!

Aww Don you came through! I mean, yeah you would think that they could give the guy a little lenience considering he used his smuggling powers for good!

I knew it wasnt real robot, it was way too low key of a reunion. I continue to really like the designs for the robots, they can go from cool and even kind of cute to scary super quickly, ad have a real alien quality to them. 

• Love 2
On 1/7/2020 at 3:56 PM, Deskisamess said:

The horses were nothing more than a plot device to show the robots ability to "grieve." It felt silly and hamfisted, and as you say, unnecessary and contrived.

Even if it was a plot device, it worked for me. At this point I like the robot better than most of the human characters, and I like the way he is becoming more human and compassionate--especially with the horse. 

Same here.  I thought the horses were in a separate safety perimeter and thought that was insane enough but your idea that they had no perimeter at all would truly be impossible.

To some extent, watching this show is like living with an alcoholic. You learn to cope, put up with more than you would have thought you could, and willfully ignore the most inane and unpleasant stuff. Horses in space literally galloping on an alien planet with vicious dinosaurs, sure, whatever.

But the stuff that irks me the most is when they seem to try to make an attempt at some science-y point and strike out completely. No, an insulated, airtight box in space holding 4 people would not become frigidly cold in a few seconds or even a few minutes. They would probably run out of breathable air before any temperature drop killed them. Of course the true temperature drop time would depend on the degree of insulation and many other factors, but it is nowhere near what was shown. See:

https://physics.stackexchange.com/questions/67503/how-fast-would-body-temperature-go-down-in-space

I still think this show is entertaining, and it continues to cash in on nostalgia from the 60's TV series, so I'm still in, for now. If I want more accurate science, there's always The Expanse

• Love 3
On 12/28/2019 at 5:37 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Pretty sure the guy was the same one who brushed off Judy's attempt to look at the wound on his knee in the previous ep (or so, we're watching 2 - 3 eps a night) and said he just needed a bandage, before she got the call that John was stuck in the well. So there was a nice bit of subtle continuity there. I like it when they don't bang us over the head with continuity even though that's really inconsistent sometimes, heh.

• Love 1
(edited)

God damn it. That's still not how space works. Every time this show leaves a planet I just want to rip my hair out in frustration.

Space is cold, yes, but there is also very little matter. So where is the heat supposed to go? Answer: Nowhere. There is a little heat transfare through infrared radiation, but that is pretty negligible. The body heat of those four would have been enough to heat that box to boiling over time (though the air would have run out way before then). Them freezing after a few seconds is just ridiculous.

On 12/28/2019 at 7:45 PM, juno said:

At least this season her motivations make sense so far. Last season she was just digging her own grave for no reason.

Edited by Zonk
  • Love 1