Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Somewhere in There is a Foot

TLC has the early premiere on its website; Original US network premiere is January 2, 2020

Stacy's life-threatening scar on her foot has left her hopeless, but she's giving it one last shot. David has the worst case of foot fungus Dr Schaeffer has ever seen. Morgan, an erotic paranormal romance novelist, is hoping to get her 6th toe amputated. 

9 hours ago, ethalfrida said:

Fascinating! These cases are so extreme they are unbelievable. I wonder why the foot fungus case was not treated long before he came to this doctor... I thought the Toe Bro was extreme but see there are far worse cases.

The brother said that he had suffered several brain bleeds, so was likely somewhat impaired.  If no one saw him without shoes, they may not have realized that he was in such bad shape.  It was amazing to see how much better his feet were on the follow-up visit.

• Love 4

I was afraid the hemophiliac guy would cause even more of a bleeding incident than he did, with all his jerking and 'ow'-ing (not that I blame him). Surprised he wasn't sedated or anesthetized for this. I missed the first couple minutes, but how on earth did he manage to walk around with those growths? He seemed to be having problems walking even after the work was done.

I was prepared to hate the 'erotic paranormal romance' writer, but she was quite likeable (though her husband gave me the creeps). I can't believe I saw somebody get their toes cut off on TV!

Dr. Ebonie is gorgeous and seems really down to earth and sweet.

• Love 4

There are risks with all kinds of sedation as well as prep, aftercare, etc.  Plus, if they stick him with a needle, that could cause bleeding too, right?  I guess pills could have been used, but, they would only have relaxed him, not blocked the pain. 

Sometimes mental health has an impact on foot heath.  I have a relative who wore a band aid on one of her toes for a very long time. I noticed it, but, thought it was a different band aid.  After she was diagnosed with dementia, I had to remove it and take care of it.  She was lucky it turned out okay. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, sempervivum said:

I was prepared to hate the 'erotic paranormal romance' writer, but she was quite likeable (though her husband gave me the creeps). I can't believe I saw somebody get their toes cut off on TV!

Dr. Ebonie is gorgeous and seems really down to earth and sweet.

Glad to know I wasn't the only one creeped out by her husband. 

When the doc was examining the writer, he made a comment about not being used to seeing six toes on people "after childhood." I was already wondering how and why she'd grown up and lived so long with the extra toes. The doc's comment leads me to think that the extra toes are usually removed in childhood. It was obviously not a complicated or tricky operation at all. I felt sorry for her that she hadn't had the surgery much earlier in her life. I thought her feet looked great after the surgery, and I'm glad she finally got it done.

• Love 1

I suspect many of the people on this show have poorly controlled diabetes, which will result in foot problems from nerve or blood vessel damage. They may also avoid doctors because of fear or cost.

Those flaky, fungus-infected feet must smell awful. 

Edited by BradandJanet
  • Love 5

Orthopedic surgeons, dermatologists, and internists also work on feet, so I'm not sure why people are traveling to see the podiatrists on this show. Maybe their work is specialized. 

I had to change stations because the first surgery was so gross I couldn't watch it, and I have a strong stomach for these things. 

• Love 1

I worked in medicine for many years, including 18 years in vascular surgery...I love this show...it's like old-home week for me...I've participated in minor surgeries, done dressing changes etc for stuff that looks worse than this...the perk is that you can't smell it through the TV...gross doesn't being to describe it...

The amnio grafting was new to me...and I'm assuming it's not yet widely available, which would be why you would travel to see Dr. Ebonie. 

• Love 3
On 1/4/2020 at 12:01 AM, LittleIggy said:

This show makes it appear that there are podiatric deserts in this country. Those people were traveling across the country to see foot doctors!

Not unlike the patients on Dr. Pimple Popper, who's just a standard dermatologist. I assume these people are getting treated free or at a reduced rate. Or they're just fame whores.

I'm not sure if these 2 docs are just podiatrists, though-Dr. Ebonie was actually doing surgery with the patient anesthetized, wasn't she? I don't think regular podiatrists like the Toe Bro can do that.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, sempervivum said:

I'm not sure if these 2 docs are just podiatrists, though-Dr. Ebonie was actually doing surgery with the patient anesthetized, wasn't she? I don't think regular podiatrists like the Toe Bro can do that.

I think the allowed scope of practice for podiatrists - including whether they can do surgery or the scope of surgeries they may perform - may vary from state to state within the US.  IIRC, podiatrists in Canada (where the Toe Bro is located) may overall have a more limited scope of practice than US podiatrists. 

Podiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in foot & ankle treatments. They went to medical school. There is no 'just' about it....I treasure my podiatrist, who is a genius with feet. They are licensed to perform surgery in a hospital using general anesthesia.

Definition of Podiatrist: A podiatrist is a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), known also as a podiatric physician or surgeon, qualified by their education and training to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the foot, ankle and related structures of the leg. ... Podiatrists are defined as physicians by the federal government.

• Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 12:05 PM, CrazyMoon said:

Podiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in foot & ankle treatments. They went to medical school.

I don't think so.  Podiatrists don't go to medical school as most of us understand it, but instead to a college of podiatric medicine.

This is from the website for the American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine:

The American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine (AACPM) is a nationally recognized education organization that represents the nine accredited U.S. colleges of podiatric medicine as well as over 200 hospitals and organizations that conduct graduate training in podiatric medicine.

https://www.aacpm.org/colleges/

I glanced at the admission requirements for the first podiatric school in the list:

Bachelor's degree preferred

Minimum cumulative and science GPA of 2.75

Competitive MCAT score

• Love 1
On 1/5/2020 at 1:05 PM, CrazyMoon said:

Podiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in foot & ankle treatments. They went to medical school. There is no 'just' about it....I treasure my podiatrist, who is a genius with feet. They are licensed to perform surgery in a hospital using general anesthesia.

Definition of Podiatrist: A podiatrist is a Doctor of Podiatric Medicine (DPM), known also as a podiatric physician or surgeon, qualified by their education and training to diagnose and treat conditions affecting the foot, ankle and related structures of the leg. ... Podiatrists are defined as physicians by the federal government.

Podiatrists are not what most people call medical doctors (M.D.). As StatisticalOutlier already mentioned, they don’t go to med school. They go to podiatry school. They are doctors. They are surgeons. But their field of expertise is everything feet and ankles. They can only work so far up the lower leg. If the issue is above a certain point on the lower leg, they have to refer their patient to an MD. The toe bro is not a podiatrist or a doctor. He is a chiropodist. He makes it very clear every time someone calls him a doctor. He stops them and corrects them

• Love 1