Type keyword(s) to search

The Circle - General Discussion

Primetimer
  • Start Topic

On 6/2/2022 at 2:45 AM, 30 Helens said:

Mama Carol and Nathan were terrible catfishes who forgot who they were playing half the time.

I think John would have been better off coming in as himself rather than his mom. No way does an older person win this, either as themself nor as a catfish. The only one who even came close was Lee as "River", but I think Lee tried to play River as close to himself as possible, something that John just couldn't do as his mom. Also, I think he leaned waayyy  too hard into the "mom" thing - if he had just mentioned it rather than it being his whole persona I think people would have connected more with "her" and "she" wouldn't have come off as such a catfish. Sometimes his messages read more like a grandma than a middle age mom. But I follow him on IG and he seems fun and cool, I just think this was a bad strategy. Not as bad as "Paul", but still not winnable in the end.

• Like 1
On 11/23/2022 at 9:32 AM, peachmangosteen said:

Season 5 starts December 28th. In the little clip they showed in the Netflix December promo, everyone is single and they seem to be pushing for romances. Not super interested in that lol.

Would've never known. It's not much. You can blink and miss it.

I'm just curious of what focus group they tested this idea on? Who out there really cared whether the players were single?

• Like 1

I forgot this was back but I happened to check Netflix to see if there was anything to watch.

I wish they'd do 3 eps a week instead of 4. 4 just feels like such a task lol.

I watched through the first blocking. I was very happy Brett was blocked but of course he gets a second chance. I don't think Brett/Xanthi can live up to the amazing Jack/Lisa duo but I'm interested to see how they do together. I already liked them both more when they were together than I did separately.

So far, I like Sam, Raven & Paris, Marvin, and Chaz. The rest I don't have strong feelings for either way yet.

I watched the first two. I feel like the show has lost its magic, at least for me. I'm not usually a fan of the "annoying influencer types squeal and cause drama" kind of reality show, so what I liked so much about early Circle was that a lot of the contestants seemed like normal people who didn't really understand how to be cutthroat and strategic. I bought that by the end, they were genuinely friends. I hate that all these people are coming in and immediately trying to play everybody (and taking it super personally when everyone doesn't love them in the first ten minutes).

I was amused that even when she wasn't playing as a model, the model was one of the first to go. Models really don't have an easy time on the show! The two blocked players were my least favorites, though, so it sucks that they're sticking around. I hope they drive each other nuts.

• Like 4

Shubham from season 1 is back... for reasons.

Marvin: "Wow! This is like a British thing. Cougars are having a blast in the UK" LMAO!

On 12/28/2022 at 5:18 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I wish they'd do 3 eps a week instead of 4. 4 just feels like such a task lol.

4 episodes is quite a lot.

Finding the time to squeeze 4 episode is a task. I feel like they should just dump all of the episodes at once because when I have the time, I can watch more than 4 episodes.

On 12/28/2022 at 5:21 PM, Cranberry said:

I was amused that even when she wasn't playing as a model, the model was one of the first to go.

Right! Brett said if she came in as a model, she would have had a tougher time. I'm like "not being a model didn't get her any further." LOL

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 1

Just finished the first four episodes and so far, I'm liking this season better than last season.  My favorites so far are Raven (& Paris) and the British comedian dude.  

I kinda like that they are all playing single - it creates an even playing field in its own way.  But it also weird how everyone was assumed to be straight.  Clearly Grandpa Brittney got the boot because he wasn't willing or able to portray his daughter in a flirty/thirsty light.

I really like Paris' interpretation style with Raven.  You can tell that the way he speaks matches exactly what she is saying.  Plus I love that they are BFF's.  The hug towards the end of the first episode was so sweet.

Edited by zenithwit
  • Like 2
7 minutes ago, zenithwit said:

I really like Paris' interpretation style with Raven.  You can tell that the way he speaks matches exactly what she is saying.  Plus I love that they are BFF's.  The hug towards the end of the first episode was so sweet.

I agree. I love it. He matches her linguistic affect so well. He says in the same sass, the same ‘sauce,’ the same ‘oomph,’ that Raven has. I imagine Paris probably speaks with not exactly the same but similar affect himself.

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 3

The thing I wonder about with Paris and Raven is how much input he has into her game. Obviously he is just interpreting what she signs in what we hear,  but how much do they collaborate on strategy and what she sends through the Circle? I have no problem with them playing as a team like "Jennifer" but I wish I knew how much was individual and how much was teamwork 

On 12/28/2022 at 2:21 PM, Cranberry said:

I watched the first two. I feel like the show has lost its magic, at least for me. I'm not usually a fan of the "annoying influencer types squeal and cause drama" kind of reality show, so what I liked so much about early Circle was that a lot of the contestants seemed like normal people who didn't really understand how to be cutthroat and strategic. I bought that by the end, they were genuinely friends. I hate that all these people are coming in and immediately trying to play everybody (and taking it super personally when everyone doesn't love them in the first ten minutes).

Ugh the hollering and squealing is exhausting. And what is it with adding "uh" to the end of every wordUH, I knowUH, dudeUH, wowUH. 

I like Raven, Sam is amusing me, and Tom is fun.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
17 hours ago, operakatz said:

And what is it with adding "uh" to the end of every wordUH, I knowUH, dudeUH, wowUH. 

I do that sometimes when I'm really drunk...so I have to wonder if these people are drunk the entire time. 🤣

Raven and Paris are awesome, and Sam is hilarious (but she takes offense to everything, which gets annoying). Xanthi is annoying, but she's good at being a catfish...her partner is dull AF. 

• LOL 1
13 minutes ago, Zima said:

Xanthi is annoying, but she's good at being a catfish...her partner is dull AF. 

He doesn't seem like he'd be very good at catfishing as a woman lol

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I think right now I'm rooting for Tom and, surprisingly, Xanthi/Brett (really just Xanthi but unfortunately Brett is tied to her lol). 

Me too. Xanthi and Brett, but mostly Xanthi, have better catfishing personalities than their own personalities.

I have zero feelings about Billie-Jean aka “Bruno”. She was there and now she isn’t, and that’s it. Her short interaction with Chaz was better than anything else that she’d done as “Bruno.” I thought maybe if she had showed a little bit of that personality that we saw with Chaz, she’d still be in the game.

• Like 3

My opinions have changed a lot on what I think of everyone.  I really don't like Marvin or Raven anymore.  I am hoping for Tom and "Jennifer" to make it to the end.  I keep going back and forth on Sam.  Sometimes I like her and sometimes I don't.  I don't mind Chaz but he has had it too easy.  They certainly are not rating each other as often this season.  

• Like 1
23 hours ago, LakeGal said:

My opinions have changed a lot on what I think of everyone.  I really don't like Marvin or Raven anymore.  I am hoping for Tom and "Jennifer" to make it to the end.  I keep going back and forth on Sam.  Sometimes I like her and sometimes I don't.  I don't mind Chaz but he has had it too easy.  They certainly are not rating each other as often this season.  

I didn't think they were rating each other as much either. I was frustrated that no one was direct with Marvin during the savage questions. I am amused by how they believe or don't believe someone is genuine based on a few responses over a messaging platform. I would like to know how much goes on that we don't see. 

Two things that have gotten ridiculously old -- the screaming whenever the circle has an alert and the hiding when a blocked player is coming to visit someone (Xanthi's shrieks are ear splitting). When reality shows have more seasons, the players become so much more self aware and play for the camera so much more. It's annoying. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, jackjill89 said:

When reality shows have more seasons, the players become so much more self aware and play for the camera so much more. It's annoying. 

Yeah, I think that's been my problem with the past couple seasons (Spice Girls aside, as they were a lot of fun). This just feels like a typical reality show with typical reality show personalities to me now, and I'm not into those. I've been suffering through it even on 1.5x speed, so I think I'm done.

Oliver's fakety-fake tears when his family video played. Just go home already. I can't believe he's in the final. He came in to stir the pot, etc. etc. and really, he's just been super annoying. 

I'm watching, but I've been soooo annoyed this season. It's lost its charm.

And, once again, the ridiculous hiding when the blocked contestant is going to visit someone (I'm looking at you Tom, Tamira and Sam) isn't cute or funny like you think it is. 

I don't know if it's a cast or edition problem but it doesn't seem that they talk about the game this season with a few exceptions (Jennifer, Sasha and Tom). It's almost like last season but amped up.

Chaz gives people so much information that it almost doesn't feel like he's in a competitive reality tv show.

When Marvin was blocked (instead of Jennifer) it seemed more about Raven feeling that he cheated on her. Not because it made him look like an unreliable alliance. I thought it was different from other seasons. It was like I was watching Love is Blind. 

Schubie was given a bad hand (a difficult profile for him and a lot of pressure to fit in right away. He had good ideas but executed them poorly. But he was never a good player per se in season 1. He was just really likable and was backed up by the right people.)

Chaz was an influencer 4 out of 5 times. Unless people change the way they've been ranking (and put him in last place) there's not much room for another person to win. 

i'm rooting for Jennifer or Raven. Maybe Sam. 

Edited by braziliangirl
  • Like 1

Everyone seems to think Chaz will win.  But nobody does anything about it.  It is frustrating to watch.  I like Chaz.  But I want someone to win that actually really played the game.  Not someone that was just seen as likeable so they gave him all the power every week.  Chaz and Raven have never been at risk at all.    

I notice most seasons there is a little clique that forms right away with the popular people.  Then everyone else just tries to join that clique instead of break it up.  

• Like 2

Yes, I've watched every season but this really is a ridiculous show. People expecting undying loyalty and saying they love each based on approximately 38 minutes of interaction. What's up with kids these days? 😂

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Who the final 3 would be was very obvious.  They had been the main clique from the beginning.  I did start to wonder if Chaz might get marked down by the others as the one to beat.  My complaint with the finale was that they did not show us how they all voted for the winner.  I understand they can't show us before the reveal or we would know who won.  But I would like to see who was voting Chaz down and Sam highest. 

I still enjoy the show but it seemed to be missing something this season.  I wish there was a way that they could start with the entire group and then just eliminate them without introducing new people.  It is hard for the newcomers to ever break into that solid alliance of the originals.  Maybe there would be less chance of that strong original alliance forming to dominate the game.  I would also like more catfish.  I find that the most interesting of the game.    

• Like 2
On 1/16/2023 at 11:53 AM, LakeGal said:

Everyone seems to think Chaz will win.  But nobody does anything about it.  It is frustrating to watch.  I like Chaz.  But I want someone to win that actually really played the game.  Not someone that was just seen as likeable so they gave him all the power every week.  Chaz and Raven have never been at risk at all.    

I notice most seasons there is a little clique that forms right away with the popular people.  Then everyone else just tries to join that clique instead of break it up.  

So true! The most frustrating thing was the Shubham (Sasha) was right! And they all ignored his/her logic which was sound if you are actually there to win. If they had joined "the rebellion" they could have picked off Chaz, Raven and Sam one by one. Instead they were top three. Snooze. It's like they all are clinging to their false pride of "I was myself the whole time" like it's some badge of honor. And Sam's indignation over the rebellion trying to get out the OG people - girl, it's a game! And a ridiculous attitude when she had her own alliances and was working against them! Not a cute look at all.

I do think overall these people were nice, but almost too nice. I was rooting for "Jennifer" because they were more interesting together than they were apart and I liked their vibe together. I can't decide if they were successful as the hacker - they did get Sam to turn on Tamira, but they overplayed their hand using the "wifey" line. Still, genius to vote Tom last that last blocking.

Maybe they should do all catfish pairs. Something needs to be done to shake it up. Or bring all previous players back as catfish (like Shubie). Or start with all players there at the same time and pick them off until final five because the ones who are there at the start do have an advantage. I do love seeing them all become friends after it's over. And my favorite, Mama Carol (aka John) is dating Alyssa the vagina girl!

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Ilovepie said:

If they had joined "the rebellion" they could have picked off Chaz, Raven and Sam one by one. Instead they were top three. Snooze. It's like they all are clinging to their false pride of "I was myself the whole time" like it's some badge of honor. And Sam's indignation over the rebellion trying to get out the OG people - girl, it's a game! And a ridiculous attitude when she had her own alliances and was working against them! Not a cute look at all.

The rebellion thing frustrated me.

Because... (sigh)... I couldn't understand why "the Rebellion" was so important among the Originals, particularly Chaz and Sam. Their anger or frustration about not being told made no sense. No one mentioned it because the idea was dead on arrival. It's very clear that no one participated in it by the very fact that the person who mentioned it, Shubham, was blocked. The rebellion was an idea that never happened, and Chaz and Sam just absolutely refused to believe that when the evidence of it never happening was so overwhelming. Their ratings never slipped. They remained in control the entire game. The person who admitted to trying to start it is was blocked, and Chaz and Sam's rating didn't slide while Shubham was there and after Shubham was blocked.

Is that not enough evidence to make an educated guess that the rebellion didn't happen?

Edited by AntFTW
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

The rebellion thing frustrated me.

Because... (sigh)... I couldn't understand why "the Rebellion" was so important among the Originals, particularly Chaz and Sam. Their anger or frustration about not being told made no sense. No one mentioned because the idea was dead on arrival. It's very clear that no one participated in it by the very fact that the person who mentioned it, Shubham, was blocked. The rebellion was an idea that never happened, and Chaz and Sam just absolutely refused to believe that when the evidence of it never happening was so overwhelming. Their ratings never slipped. They remained in control the entire game. The person who admitted to trying to start it is was blocked, and Chaz and Sam's rating didn't slide while Shubham was there and after Shubham was blocked.

Is that not enough evidence to make an educated guess that the rebellion didn't happen?

Totally agree! And seeing Tom falling all over himself to apologize to Chaz - like, why was everyone bowing down to Chaz and Sam? Shubham was right - I wish "jennifer" had sided with him. People always talk a good game when they introduce themselves about how they are in it to win it, but then they get into the game and are like "these are my friiiieeendssss"..... if Chaz wanted to win, he would have sent his "wifey" or "bestie" home and not Oliver who was not threat for anything.

• Like 2

This show feels incredibly imbalanced. If you're too popular at the end, it's less likely to win. If you're one of the late comers to the gamey you basically can't win unless you get rid of all OG players. Someone like Oliver was DOA and had no chance at all. I think they need to tweak a few things to make this a but more winnable by everyone that's in the game. Maybe have a jury vote as well with the people voted out, that can vote based on and outsider view on gameplay, and have that be also a pooled rank vote. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, hurrrz said:

This show feels incredibly imbalanced. If you're too popular at the end, it's less likely to win. If you're one of the late comers to the gamey you basically can't win unless you get rid of all OG players. Someone like Oliver was DOA and had no chance at all. I think they need to tweak a few things to make this a but more winnable by everyone that's in the game. Maybe have a jury vote as well with the people voted out, that can vote based on and outsider view on gameplay, and have that be also a pooled rank vote. 

I think the only way to make it a more even playing field is to have everyone playing start the game at the beginning and then eliminate them one by one until you have the final five. In five seasons only one player who was not there at the start of the game won. Also, in five seasons only one catfish has won. I don't know but that says something needs to change.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

Also, in five seasons only one catfish has won. I don't know but that says something needs to change.

For this part, I don't think it's because catfish have a harder time but rather most of them just suck at being catfish. They always fail to give their catfish persona any depth. The one catfish that won was successful at creating depth for the catfish persona, and IMO, it's because she was portraying someone she knew intimately. For the parts she didn't know (like sports), she had her notes.

The middle-aged gentleman portraying his daughter was really bad at portraying his 20-something year old daughter. He's never been a 20-something year old woman, and wouldn't know how to behave like one. Sure, he knows his daughter... but does he know how his daughter behaves when she's with her friends? Probably not. Does he know how his daughter thinks and behaves when she's on a date? Probably not. Does he know how his daughter behaves when she's at a nightclub or a bar? Probably not. It's those certain social queues that he needed bring to The Circle.

IMO, without Xanthi, Brett would have been DOA on being Jennifer. Even though none of them are 50, Xanthi made Jennifer a believable woman because Xanthi is a woman. I imagine Brett would have a hard time acting like a woman.

I'm of the opinion that if people are going to catfish, pick people who are like them (if they're given the luxury of picking).

• Like 3
1 hour ago, AntFTW said:

For this part, I don't think it's because catfish have a harder time but rather most of them just suck at being catfish. They always fail to give their catfish persona any depth. The one catfish that won was successful at creating depth for the catfish persona, and IMO, it's because she was portraying someone she knew intimately. For the parts she didn't know (like sports), she had her notes.

The middle-aged gentleman portraying his daughter was really bad at portraying his 20-something year old daughter. He's never been a 20-something year old woman, and wouldn't know how to behave like one. Sure, he knows his daughter... but does he know how his daughter behaves when she's with her friends? Probably not. Does he know how his daughter thinks and behaves when she's on a date? Probably not. Does he know how his daughter behaves when she's at a nightclub or a bar? Probably not. It's those certain social queues that he needed bring to The Circle.

IMO, without Xanthi, Brett would have been DOA on being Jennifer. Even though none of them are 50, Xanthi made Jennifer a believable woman because Xanthi is a woman. I imagine Brett would have a hard time acting like a woman.

I'm of the opinion that if people are going to catfish, pick people who are like them (if they're given the luxury of picking).

I completely agree! The most successful catfish are ones who know the person or pick someone similar to themself in every way except looks, but I did love Rebecca/Seaburn from season 1 and River/Lee from season 3. I think they both actually did a pretty good job. My favorite catfish exchange was between Mama Carol/John getting sex tips from Alyssa. So cringe but so hilarious, and even funnier now that John and Alyssa are dating IRL!

My favorite catfish fail was Jack/Emily with the horrible makeup challenge. I couldn't stop laughing at that one.  Paul/Parker was also awful - same problem that the guy this season playing his daughter had but in reverse. Why did this young girl think she would know anything about playing a middle age man???

And actually, Shooby was pretty terrible this time around, but he knew he was in trouble with that persona. At least he went out with a bang!

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

My favorite catfish exchange was between Mama Carol/John getting sex tips from Alyssa. So cringe but so hilarious, and even funnier now that John and Alyssa are dating IRL!

I figured out of all the that would end up linking up later outside of the game would be these two. I only guess that because I think they live pretty close to each other IRL. If I’m remembering correctly, she lived in NY and he lived right across the bridge in Jersey… or maybe it was vice versa…

10 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

My favorite catfish fail was Jack/Emily with the horrible makeup challenge. I couldn't stop laughing at that one.  Paul/Parker was also awful - same problem that the guy this season playing his daughter had but in reverse. Why did this young girl think she would know anything about playing a middle age man???

Jack as Emily was hilarious. I always go back to the menstrual talks when I think of him. It makes me chuckle.

Yes! The Paul/Parker one, same problem. It seemed like she knew nothing about her dad, not even what music he likes. At the very least, I think she should have known that. If her parents are anything like mine, I heard whatever music my parents music listened to as I was growing up.

14 minutes ago, Ilovepie said:

And actually, Shooby was pretty terrible this time around, but he knew he was in trouble with that persona. At least he went out with a bang!

Shooby was doomed from the start. Production gave him a profile that was the polar opposite of him, and had zero chance of convincing anyone it was real.

• Like 1

Netflix

The Circle

Season 6 premiere (first four episodes): Influencers hope to schmooze their way to $100,000, but this season there’s a twist: an A.I. bot has entered the chat.

Just watched the first episode.  So far, I think Olivia (I forget his real name) is endearing but I have no idea how she became the #1 influencer.  Maybe everyone ranked each other at such extremes that her overall middle-ish rankings pushed her above everyone else?

Not sure what to think of the AI bot yet.  Does this mean that there won't be any physical challenges (like decorating a cake and posting a photo)?  I liked those silly little challenges and would be bummed if they didn't have them because the AI bot couldn't physically compete.  Maybe they'll have a twist at some point where they'll alert the players to the AI bot's presence and remove it relatively early in the game?

• Like 1
On 4/18/2024 at 1:21 AM, AntFTW said:

Great! Four episodes in and nothing happens…

I just finished the first four episodes and it is really disappointing that there was not one blocking.  The post-blocking meetup is the best part of each episode.  

Can't believe I'm about to say this but... I kinda wish the show had waited before telling the players that one of them was an AI bot.  It would have been television gold if one of the blocked players had unknowingly walked into Max's apartment expecting to find a  human and instead found a fancy box.  But I wouldn't want the AI bot in there for too long.  Just for a few blockings.

• Like 3

This season seems less interesting to me knowing it's filmed in the US and not the UK. I know that doesn't make sense given it takes place in a random building and the players are usually American anyway 🤔😂

On 4/19/2024 at 5:21 PM, zenithwit said:

Can't believe I'm about to say this but... I kinda wish the show had waited before telling the players that one of them was an AI bot.  It would have been television gold if one of the blocked players had unknowingly walked into Max's apartment expecting to find a  human and instead found a fancy box.  But I wouldn't want the AI bot in there for too long.  Just for a few blockings.

I agree.

So far, I'm not really liking the AI twist.

I watched one episode a day to drag it out longer.  I expected to at least get an elimination or two.  But I watched all 4 eps and still nobody has left.  

I haven't really become attached to any player yet.  It doesn't even matter to me who Myles eliminates.  Normally by this time I have players I love and ones I want gone.  But so far this season I am still waiting to have some connection to them.  

• Like 2