Type keyword(s) to search

S39.E07: I Was Born at Night, But Not Last Night

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

On 11/10/2019 at 5:47 AM, himela said:

If I was playing this season, I would use the Island of the idols to make allies. For example Keleey could approach someone she wanted to ally herself with and tell them "you should know the truth about IoI, there are Rob and Sandra and they will offer you a challenge, remember to hesitate so they sweaten the deal for you". After this person will go there, they will be grateful about Kelleey advicing them and them and her will be tighter. She could do this with more than one people.

Yes, that would be a smart thing for Kellee to tell a loyal ally.   

That said, I'm not sure they would always sweeten the deal.  I think they really wanted Kellee to do the memory test, because it was pretty good TV.   I'm sure they would have sweetened the deal for Vince, because they definitely wanted him to do the mission impossible.

Elaine's task was fairly easy and given the circumstances, the reward was huge. 

Janet's challenged looked boring, so I don't think they really cared if she did it or not.  Her declining it and them praising her for making the smart choice was probably more interesting TV than her doing a game of chance would have  been. 

• Love 2
On ‎11‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 7:41 AM, Bryce Lynch said:

I also liked the way Janet thought things through and I think she made the right decision.  I don't think it was a total no-brainer though.  It would have been nice to have the walk away from tribal advantage in her pocket.  Though if she needed to use it, it would probably mean she was in a bad situation, that would only get worse if she left tribal without voting and another one of her alliance members got voted out.  It could basically buy her time to scramble, win immunity or find an idol. 

I think the main use of it would be you are on the ropes, you don't really have an alliance so it's an escape hatch for one vote. Similar to someone who is clearly going down but they get an immunity idol. They play it and have to win the next challenge or find another or get lucky and some former enemy needs them for the next vote. . . sometimes it works. Other times it just delays your execution for one vote.

I wanted her to ask what the game was. I'm not sure if Rob would have told her but seemed like worth asking.

Basically the lessons are not really lessons at all. Just a different way to hand out/compete for advantages/idols. instead of smashing an urn or not--you talk to Sandra and Rob who pretend to teach you something. Only the fire part was actually a lesson.

• Love 3

I don't mind Rob and Sandra being there as long as they aren't playing.  I don't care what they decide to offer and whether they sweeten the deal.  I am willing to believe they are living there.  I enjoy their banter and their asides in the sky-spy-box.  But for some reason I don't like that they get the title quotes!  Sandra has had one (at least?) and now this one was Rob's.  They are meaningless if they don't come from a player!  There, rant over.  

Interesting that that one tribe (just one, right?) is doing fine just sleeping right on the dirt.  I guess nobody from production is going to be able to hide an idol under their sleeping platform, ha.  

Edited to clarify:  I love Sandra and like Rob.  I don't like seasons where fewer than half of the players are returnees and especially not when there are only two (might make exceptions for early outs through no fault of their own, such as illness).  I'd enjoy seeing them play again, but only with other former players.

Edited by Jobiska
To clarify my feelings re Rob/Sandra
  • Love 5
On 11/8/2019 at 9:08 AM, Mr. Minor said:

As Sandra and Rob are walking off Rob says "let's go make some rice". Are we suppose to believe they are roughing it on that island?

They are not only subsisting on rice, they built their own shelter! And live there full time, with nothing to do all day but swap life stories, fend off insects, and polish their statues! They are definitely NOT living with the production team and enjoying post-shoot massages and margaritas! They are SURVIVORS, dammit!!

On 11/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, Jobiska said:

I don't mind Rob and Sandra being there as long as they aren't playing.  

Spoiler

You’re really gonna hate next season, then.

Edited by 30 Helens
Created spoiler tag
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
On ‎11‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 3:40 AM, SVNBob said:

She orchestrated the reversal of a unanimous decision using an idol and a flipped vote, and got away clean.  The only people that know about it are Noura and Dean.  And if she can outlast them and make F3, then she's got a big plus on her side.

Actually, Noura only knows that Kellie suggested a Jack "safety" vote. She doesn't know where Dean got his idol. Kellie can say that Dean told her he would be playing an idol (true) and would vote for Jack (also true), and that she still voted for Dean (also true). There's no real reason for Dean to rat out Kellie, but if he does, she can deny it and no one else would know the real truth.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 11/7/2019 at 7:30 AM, Haleth said:

I get that Kellee voted for Dean to cover her tracks but it seems awfully risky to count on Noura to vote for Jack instead of doing it herself.  She was a teeny bit afraid Dean would vote for her (Kellee) so she needed someone to vote for someone else just in case, so she picked Noura, the loose cannon, of all people?  I'm glad it worked out as she planned, but maybe she should have a word with Rob about risk/reward.

I haven't watched the following episodes yet so I don't know how it all shakes out, but I agree with you. I'd even go further and suggest it was a terrible move by Kellee. Instead of guaranteeing she moves forward to the next episode by playing the idol for herself, she risked her safety on Noura (on NOURA!) and forced herself to be deceitful in the process all for what? To get a different guy out than Dean? Is that really advantageous to her? I don't think her odds of winning the game increased, and her risk of losing the game that very night obviously increased. Terrible risk to take when the reward for doing so was insignificant.

And there is no way Dean and Noura keep that move quiet, so people will lose their trust in Kellee. That collateral damage is important.

It has to be one of the top 3 worst moves so far this season. She's an MBA student who passed up a 100% chance of a profitable investment for an 80% chance of a slightly more profitable investment. Furthermore, she completely ignored the fact that there are other people in this game who might be playing their own idols and mucking up her perfectly orchestrated scenario.