Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: Instant Karma

Miles is confused when Sameer, a lawyer with financial problems, wants nothing to do with a winning lottery ticket that the God Account helps Miles return to him. Ali opens up to the congregation at the LGBTQ-friendly church she joined, and Audrey, the artist behind the mysterious painting Miles saw in Paris, reveals surprising information behind the work.

Airing Sunday, November 10, 2019.

Ali's pastor's wig was killing me. Why are the wigs on this show so bad?

I've said many times that I find Brandon Michael Hall really charming, and part of that is that he can make some of the more stilted dialogue sound natural. He didn't quite make it there with "Hey, the [case of the week] just posted a photo that the God account liked!"

Aw, Miles and Cara are in lurve.

• Love 7

As someone who believes that in this world you get back what you put out I felt this episode. I understood Samir's guilt and why he connected it to everything that went wrong in his life. For a lot of the episode his brother was kinda of an ass but he was more sympathetic by the end. I have to admit that I thought Judy was gonna die and this may be the first friend suggestion that ended on a bad note. But i;m glad she survived and Miles was able to convince Samir to move on with his life.

Miles and Cara's I love you scene was beautiful. I'm glad they didn't drag that out too long because the audience already knew she loved him so not much mystery there lol. But yeah a gorgeous and lovable coupe. 

Rakesh and his girl about to have major problems.

I'm not sure what's gonna happen with Arthur and Trish. That could go either way.

I'm interested in what they are going to do with Ali going forward.

• Love 8
2 minutes ago, mommalib said:

Miles and Cara's I love you scene was beautiful. I'm glad they didn't drag that out too long because the audience already knew she loved him so not much mystery there lol.

Yeah. Whenever I think of saying "I love you" vs. not saying it, I think of two previous relationships. One was with a man who said it first but did not act like it at all (he actually treated me pretty badly), and another was with a man who took a while to say it but acted like he loved me from the get, so when he did say it, I already knew. The latter was obviously a much better relationship. Cara clearly loves Miles, even if she couldn't say it for a minute. They've been acting like a couple in love basically since they met.

(Also that was the most passionate kiss I've seen from them ever, I think.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Empress1 said:

Yeah. Whenever I think of saying "I love you" vs. not saying it, I think of two previous relationships. One was with a man who said it first but did not act like it at all (he actually treated me pretty badly), and another was with a man who took a while to say it but acted like he loved me from the get, so when he did say it, I already knew. The latter was obviously a much better relationship. Cara clearly loves Miles, even if she couldn't say it for a minute. They've been acting like a couple in love basically since they met.

(Also that was the most passionate kiss I've seen from them ever, I think.)

They've had a couple of passionate kisses like there first at the restaurant or the one from season 1 when Cara was wearing that green dress.

• Love 3

Man that lottery ticket expiring was really frustrating.  I'm sorry but I think the right thing to do would have been for Samir to claim the money and give it to Judy.  Why he couldn't see that doing that would also help clear up any bad Karma is boggling to me.  I think he went overboard with his paranoia.  Why is there always something about this show lately that pisses me off?  In the real world if I were Judy I'd be pissed that my boss couldn't get over himself and help me out like that.  I wouldn't be so understanding about some obvious hang up he had even if he did save my life.  He was being ridiculous.  Plus now they're so broke they probably can't even afford to pay her, not to mention any possible medical bills she may have now, which only makes it that much worse.  Of course that's in the REAL world, not in this fantasyland.  My close friend is a lawyer that had to let his admin. assistant go because he couldn't afford her anymore, so I think about those things.

Also, I didn't get the whole thing about Samir missing a hearing or court appearance or whatever he missed.  They can't just decide at the last minute to move those things up because the lawyers and everyone else may not be able to make it on short notice.  I admit I wasn't paying much attention to that little point in the scene so there may have been something I missed, but from what little I know I don't think it works that way.

It was nice to see Miles and Cara with some genuine romantic chemistry, though.  And yeah, they're gearing us up for trouble between Rakesh and Jaya.  🙄

Edited by Yeah No
  • Love 4

Miles and Cara were so sweet. There better not be a lame triangle on the horizon!

Yes it was frustrating that the lotto ticket expired, but then if Sameer cashed the ticket and gave the money to Judy it wouldn’t have been the same. I guess that was the point of it expiring- it all led to saving Judy which was more important in the long run. She looked pretty good for having an aneurysm surgery, but I’m going to pretend that scene was weeks later.

Jaya and Rakesh are doomed. That, or it will push them to getting engaged so her parents will temporarily leave them alone. I still don’t understand why they would want to force their daughter who is super busy in residency to get married. My parents, who are Indian, wanted me to get married after residency because of how busy they knew I would be, and my career was more important at that time. I guess the pushy Indian parents trope will never get old on TV.

• Love 5

It's gotta be me.  I am flummoxed.  Surely, the logic in this ep exists.  It completely escapes me.

First, and it's a golden oldie on this show, it takes everyone to do a task.  If someone needs to get somewhere, they ALL have to go at that very moment.  It was impossible for Sameer to go claim the ticket once he knew Judy was incapacitated.  She only lived because HE was in the ER waiting room the entire time.  Had he gone to the lottery office and then gone to the waiting room, Judy was a dead woman.  

As pointed out above - the changing of the hearing time without the assent of all parties, let alone not notifying all parties?  Instant reversal on appeal and the judge and/or Clerk of the Court would be in seriously hot water. 

The brothers enmity for each other, is bad only if it comes from Sameer.  Never mind the tearing had already occurred when the other brother disowned Sameer.  Again, it's got to be my mental shortcoming, but that had to be the most vapid speech Miles ever gave as he challenged the brothers in their office.  They were already split!  What, exactly, was the downside?  You will hate each other if you cash the ticket!  You will hate each other if you don't cash the ticket!  That speech had not a thing in the world to do with Cara and Rakesh figuring out it was Judy's ticket.  It only served to delay Judy getting medical attention.  Ugh.

Good to know the God Account wanted the government to get the winnings.  Therefore, it approves of a form gambling which perversely harms the least, the most!  The brothers have also lost their legacy business, and Judy her life's work.  I know.  That's just me.

Still no Diocesan misgivings expressed.  Man, are they stoopid.  Arthur is clearly not in any emotional position to accept a Bishopric.  Nobody there sees it?

Minister Aly.  ZZZZZZZZZ

The reveal of the house clue is intriguing, as is the Grenelle character.  Fingers crossed.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, twoods said:

Yes it was frustrating that the lotto ticket expired, but then if Sameer cashed the ticket and gave the money to Judy it wouldn’t have been the same. I guess that was the point of it expiring- it all led to saving Judy which was more important in the long run. She looked pretty good for having an aneurysm surgery, but I’m going to pretend that scene was weeks later.

They were bringing the ticket to Judy when they found her so she could have been saved plus the ticket could have been claimed.  If Samir had split off and attended to the ticket while the others got her help both things could have happened.  I don't know why this show isn't going for the win-win scenario anymore.  The writers are in control of those things.

14 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Good to know the God Account wanted the government to get the winnings.  Therefore, it approves of a form gambling which perversely harms the least, the most!  The brothers have also lost their legacy business, and Judy her life's work.  I know.  That's just me.

No it's not just you!!!

Still no Diocesan misgivings expressed.  Man, are they stoopid.  Arthur is clearly not in any emotional position to accept a Bishopric.  Nobody there sees it?

What I see is that Arthur is in denial about Trish.  He still thinks he's going to be able to convince her to come back, accept his decision and get back with him.  Like all he has to do is woo and schmooze her and she'll come running back to him.  I think he's living in a fantasy land about that and that is why he's in no emotional position to accept the position.

Minister Aly.  ZZZZZZZZZ

LOL, yup!!

The reveal of the house clue is intriguing, as is the Grenelle character.  Fingers crossed.

I know, but I don't want to get my hopes too far up.....

• Love 3
8 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Man that lottery ticket expiring was really frustrating.  I'm sorry but I think the right thing to do would have been for Samir to claim the money and give it to Judy.  Why he couldn't see that doing that would also help clear up any bad Karma is boggling to me.  I think he went overboard with his paranoia. 

I know!  This frustrated me so much, too.

6 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

It was impossible for Sameer to go claim the ticket once he knew Judy was incapacitated.  She only lived because HE was in the ER waiting room the entire time.  Had he gone to the lottery office and then gone to the waiting room, Judy was a dead woman.  

2 hours ago, Yeah No said:

They were bringing the ticket to Judy when they found her so she could have been saved plus the ticket could have been claimed.  If Samir had split off and attended to the ticket while the others got her help both things could have happened.  I don't know why this show isn't going for the win-win scenario anymore.  The writers are in control of those things.

He didn't need to go in that last hour.  He could have gone anytime during that day!  Get the check, save it/don't spend it - heck don't even deposit/cast it (there's like 60 days to do that usually) - and give it to whomever they find to be the winner. If he was worried they wouldn't find the real owner, ever (because now they would have more time to do so), donate the money to charity after a time.  I basically kept saying "Get the money now, give it to the winner later!" throughout the show.  

• Love 10

I was saying the same thing, and even the brother said to collect the winnings and then give it to Judy since the window was closing on getting the money, but Sameer was insistent that he had to sign the money away and he couldn’t deposit it or else his bad karma would not go away. Makes zero sense, and the ending didn’t have the typical feel good story we are used to. 

• Love 6

I liked this episode,  but Judy being in the law office when they closed ther doors for the last time was not believable considering the timeline of the other events on the show couldn't have been more than a day later, if that. 

• Love 6

The only downside I can determine for Sameer to cash the ticket is that tax would be taken from him as the original presenter, and from whomever he "gifted."  So, what would have been an original take of about $350K (after taxes on value of annuity ($650, give or take), would then be taxed against the ultimate recipient of the funds.  But, given the time crunch, $200 K sure beats nil.

Question for y'all who are closely watching the fashions...Aly seems to have always been dressed brightly/vibrantly and youthfully.  In the pulpit, her look seemed mature well beyond what she had been.  She was fully covered, yes?  Her hair pulled all the way back added to this new image.  Am I off about this?  I fully agree with the comment above about the turrible wigs in this ep.  I never, ever, notice such a thing.  But this time, it was blatant.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Lonesome Rhodes said:

Question for y'all who are closely watching the fashions...Aly seems to have always been dressed brightly/vibrantly and youthfully.  In the pulpit, her look seemed mature well beyond what she had been.  She was fully covered, yes?  Her hair pulled all the way back added to this new image.  Am I off about this?  I fully agree with the comment above about the turrible wigs in this ep.  I never, ever, notice such a thing.  But this time, it was blatant.

I think Aly's outfit in the pulpit scene was in keeping with her general style but was an attempt at making her look a little more "formal" for church.  It was kind of a Sunday go to church look. That and the pulled back hair made her look more mature and serious than she usually looks.  I agree about the terrible wigs.  Cara's wig is especially annoying because it looks worse every week.  And the wigs worn by the pastor of Aly's church and Ali herself look like a Donna Summer revival, except for the pulled back look.  And not in a good way, either.

• Love 1

So our next move is the first place the God Account ever sent them?! Ohhh that sound? Its the plot thickening! 

I admit I wish that they had gotten to keep the money and their law practice. I mean, its their family business passed down to them by their presumed deceased father, thats a pretty big loss, even if they do at least have each other. I wanted this to be a total win not a kind of bittersweet ending. I mean, the God Account had everything so down to a science that they could plan all of this a year in advance to save Judy, and it couldn't just let them save Judy AND keep the money?

I admit I was afraid that Judy might die though when they got to her apartment, so I am at least glad she is alright. I totally got Samirs feelings that his life was out of control, and while his brother seemed like kind of a jerk at first, I could understand his frustrations and his fear of losing their family business, and I am glad at least that they made up. 

Well at least Ally seems to be getting some kind of real storyline, even though I dont know if her going into the church is her best idea. I mean, its not a terrible idea or anything, but I would have liked to see more build up to it. 

I hope that Arthur can Trish can patch things up and can have a real sit down talk about this whole mess. There has been so much miscommunication between them, they need to figure out if they can move ahead as a couple and how that will look. Trish needs to realize that Arthur needs to full busy and serve the community, and Arthur needs to start treating Trish like a partner and be honest with her about what he wants. 

Cara loves Miles! Awww that was sweet, the two of them are a great couple, and they look so pretty together, they could be the model photos in a picture frame! Now lets just focus on them, and not on any unwanted love triangle...

• Love 3
16 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Well at least Ally seems to be getting some kind of real storyline, even though I dont know if her going into the church is her best idea. I mean, its not a terrible idea or anything, but I would have liked to see more build up to it. 

Yeah, or some reference to her not being happy with school.

I kind of hope she still finishes her degree regardless. If you spend years and thousands of dollars on something, you should at least get the degree.

• Love 3

There is just no way the God Account can be an Artificial Intelligence. Sameer puts the lottery ticket into one of his girlfriend's random purses. That purse just happens to be the style that Cara would like enough to take off the rack and open up to find the lottery ticket. I could maybe find it believable that an A.I. could predict that Cara would like that particular purse's style, but to predict that she would also take it off the rack and open it up is pushing things, but not impossible. What would be impossible for any A.I. to do would be to influence Sameer's girlfriend into buying a purse in the same style that Cara would like in the future, and also influence Sameer into picking that particular purse to put the lottery ticket in. Either the God Account is actually God or the writers aren't thinking things through.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Rambler said:

There is just no way the God Account can be an Artificial Intelligence. Sameer puts the lottery ticket into one of his girlfriend's random purses. That purse just happens to be the style that Cara would like enough to take off the rack and open up to find the lottery ticket. I could maybe find it believable that an A.I. could predict that Cara would like that particular purse's style, but to predict that she would also take it off the rack and open it up is pushing things, but not impossible. What would be impossible for any A.I. to do would be to influence Sameer's girlfriend into buying a purse in the same style that Cara would like in the future, and also influence Sameer into picking that particular purse to put the lottery ticket in. Either the God Account is actually God or the writers aren't thinking things through.

I was saying stuff like this on the board all last season but I don't think most people care about whether the God Account is really God or not.  I care and I agree with you that with all these freaky connections and coincidences it would have to be God and not some AI that can do predictive analytics.  Unless you want to suspend your disbelief to include that the AI program could not only predict behavior but operate to influence behavior.  I don't think I can buy that but I also don't buy that God would be in such direct control over human behavior to orchestrate all of this either, because in effect it would take away our free will, and I don't personally believe in a God that would do that.  What would be the point?  God's own little puppet show for self-amusement?  No, not buying that.  Either way I don't think the writers have thought things through enough.

• Love 2

I think the overall 'who/what is the God Account' mystery is playing out a little better this season - although, yes, it's strains belief that it has been orchestrating so many things for so long. In contrast, I think the cases of the week have been weaker.

LoL - did anyone keep track of how many times they said the word "karma"?

I know there wouldn't be a show if people actually acted the way real people would act if total strangers came up to them telling them info about themselves and insisting on helping by being all up in their business, but I feel the show used to be a bit better about how the team interacted with friend requests.

Anyway, Miles and Cara had me squeeing in the scene when she finally said I love you! And I think they'll be fine for now, it's Arthur/Trish and Rakesh/Jaya holding the relationship DRAMA ball at the moment.

And there were six Indians/SE Asians with speaking roles, so 'yay' for that!

• Love 4
On 11/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Empress1 said:

Ali's pastor's wig was killing me. Why are the wigs on this show so bad?

I've said many times that I find Brandon Michael Hall really charming, and part of that is that he can make some of the more stilted dialogue sound natural. He didn't quite make it there with "Hey, the [case of the week] just posted a photo that the God account liked!"

My wife happened to be in the room while I was watching the show and she was roasting me over how bad the dialogue was. It was hard to defend it. Man, the dialogue can be so awful on the show. 

• Love 3

The God Account moves in mysterious ways.

Seriously though, it seems like either The God Account has ridiculously powerful predictive and analytical skills, on par with God Himself, or "it really is God" doing all this.  Everything tying together, including events of several years ago, creates a good mystery, but at this point it almost feels like it's getting more and more absurd so we'll have to keep watching to see how it all works/worked.

• Love 2