Type keyword(s) to search

The Masked Singer In The Media

• Start Topic

https://ew.com/tv/the-masked-singer-major-format-changes-season-8/

Article about upcoming season.  Not sure I really understand the format... it says there will be three rounds of three episodes each.  Every three episodes will crown a semi-finalist who will move on to the finals.  So how does it work for each of the three episodes in each round?  It seems to suggest we will see three (or four) each round and only one keeps going.  So that means at least six masks per round, times 3 rounds, so at least 18 contestants?

Disappointed that they didn't fire Nick Cannon.  I see that one of his baby mamas is pregnant again with his 10th child.  I am kind of curious about the relationship between all these mamas.  I didn't read too closely but I think this latest baby mama is one of the previous ones that he has now come back to.  It doesn't bother her that in between the last time he impregnated her, he impregnated two or three other women?  So strange.  It's like he has this herd of women who are open and available for breeding and when he sees fit to grace them with his royal presence, they are eager and willing.

And it seems like Ken Jeong will be back as well, thinking he is oh-so-cute and cuddly and funny.  Ugh.

• Love 1
On 9/7/2022 at 11:05 AM, blackwing said:

Disappointed that they didn't fire Nick Cannon.  I see that one of his baby mamas is pregnant again with his 10th child.  I am kind of curious about the relationship between all these mamas.  I didn't read too closely but I think this latest baby mama is one of the previous ones that he has now come back to.  It doesn't bother her that in between the last time he impregnated her, he impregnated two or three other women?  So strange.  It's like he has this herd of women who are open and available for breeding and when he sees fit to grace them with his royal presence, they are eager and willing.

There are a lot of women who will get together with a "celeb" regardless of who they are simply because they are celebs.  Cannon should at least be capable of supporting his kids as opposed to some others.  Those are the ones I always shake my head at.

16 minutes ago, GaT said:

They're all caught up, so it's not like we've missed any episodes.

My DVR guide says there's no show next Wednesday, but there will be back-to-back episodes the following Sunday.  When I looked at their time slot, I saw a sporting event scheduled for the Wednesday. I don't follow sports, so I have no idea if that's the real reason.

2 minutes ago, Soapy Goddess said:

My DVR guide says there's no show next Wednesday, but there will be back-to-back episodes the following Sunday.  When I looked at their time slot, I saw a sporting event scheduled for the Wednesday. I don't follow sports, so I have no idea if that's the real reason.

Yes, Major League Baseball is on Wednesday, but why would they do 2 episodes when they aren't behind?

Just now, GaT said:

Yes, Major League Baseball is on Wednesday, but why would they do 2 episodes when they aren't behind?

Good question. Maybe FOX is anticipating extra/extended baseball play? Or perhaps another event down the road in MS time slots? Or maybe they're just burning off the rest of the season because they want to go to streaming? And of course, there's always the reason that FOX was filming around Nick Cannon's baby mama's births.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Fox site says there is no show tonight because of baseball (Wednesday 11/2) and that the next new episode is on Sunday at 8PM Eastern.  Episode 6, 90s night.  They are replaying Episode 5, Muppets night, at 7 Eastern.

Doesn't seem to indicate that there are two episodes on Sunday or any episode on Wednesday 11/9, but maybe their schedule just isn't updated properly.

I'd love to hear the Lambs sing "I Want It That Way" or "Waterfalls".

12 hours ago, Soapy Goddess said:

Good question. Maybe FOX is anticipating extra/extended baseball play? Or perhaps another event down the road in MS time slots? Or maybe they're just burning off the rest of the season because they want to go to streaming? And of course, there's always the reason that FOX was filming around Nick Cannon's baby mama's births.

Hahaha, maybe the show is on a break so Nick can pump it into Baby Mamas #5, 6 and 7 for Kids 11, 12 and 13.  It should only take him a week and then he will be back at work.

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
On 11/2/2022 at 3:53 AM, GaT said:

My DVR guide says the first hour is a repeat of the Muppets episode.

However, a weather delay pushed the World Series back a day, so a possible game 7 would be Sunday at 8pm. Yesterday, my DVR and channel guide said no episode on Sunday due to the Series. Today, the show is back on Sunday and no mention of baseball. Don’t think they would push a game 7 to a sports channel, so who knows.

18 hours ago, blackwing said:

Fox site says there is no show tonight because of baseball (Wednesday 11/2) and that the next new episode is on Sunday at 8PM Eastern.  Episode 6, 90s night.  They are replaying Episode 5, Muppets night, at 7 Eastern.

Doesn't seem to indicate that there are two episodes on Sunday or any episode on Wednesday 11/9, but maybe their schedule just isn't updated properly.

That seems to be the plan now per thefutoncritic. They were going to air two episodes on Sunday, which would have put them a week ahead of the original schedule that got fouled when the daytime playoff game got rain-delayed into the evening and delayed ALW Night Why they were planning that, who knows.. 

Now, the plan is to just air the one episode, which will put them exactly back on schedule... unless the World Series goes to Game 7, which, due to this past (Monday, whoops) night's rainout,  would now be Sunday instead of Saturday.

Edited by lambertman

And the hits just keep on coming... Baby #ELEVEN for Nick Cannon.  And sure enough, he went back to his stable of brood mares and one has been chosen to carry his baby again.  I'm way curious about how these baby mamas interact with each other.  Are they friends?  Enemies?  Frenemies?  Get paid millions by him so don't care?

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/04/entertainment/nick-cannon-ryan-reynolds-baby

I would hope that Ryan Reynolds is referring to a liquor bottle.

• Mind Blown 1

My channel guide is showing a holiday sing-a-long episode for this Wed(Dec7). Given the quality of talent we had this season, this may not be as cringey as what we’ve had in past seasons. MMV, of course. 

Edited by Bookworm13
  • Useful 1

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/celebrities/2022/11/03/nick-cannon-how-many-kids-does-he-have/8260191001/

If I'm counting correctly, he had five babies by five different women born in 2022.  12 kids total (1 deceased), six baby mamas (including Mariah).

"Each pregnancy was planned and intentional, and his relationships with the mothers of his children are healthy and consensual, Cannon said."

What?!  How can any of this be healthy and consensual?  These women are just brood mares.  As I've said before, I'm way curious as to whether they talk to each other.  He's got six different families!  What do the baby mamas tell their kids?  "Sorry kiddo your dad can't be with you on Christmas, he's with one of his other five families.  But don't worry, it'll be our turn in 2026!"

My daughter was at McDonald's yesterday and said that the latest Happy Meal toys are Masked Singer toys.  So I googlefued this article:

https://screenrant.com/masked-singer-announces-mcdonalds-happy-meal-toy-characters/

Curious as to how they selected the various costumes.  Maybe based on ease of translating them into fairly basic plush?  Or just the character itself and how appealing it might be to kids?  I wouldn't say the Rhino was any kind of fan favourite, for example.

• Useful 2

So I'm on some kind of mailing list because I "attended" one of the virtual tapings during COVID.  Show is asking for audiences for the taping of the live shows for Season 10. 

The show is taping 7/20, 7/21, 7/22, 7/24, 7/25, 7/27, 7/30, 7/31, 8/2, & 8/5.

That's it?  The entire show is taped over a period of two weeks?  Obviously there isn't a week in between tapings to match the airings, but I didn't realise the shooting schedule was so compact.  And perhaps multiple episodes are taped on each day.

This calls into question the whole "she didn't want to commit to being there for long and only wanted to do one show" suggestion.  Like some of the big names that go out after one or two episodes.  This gives even more credence to the fact that the whole show is scripted.

• Like 1
  • Useful 5
11 hours ago, blackwing said:

This calls into question the whole "she didn't want to commit to being there for long and only wanted to do one show" suggestion.  Like some of the big names that go out after one or two episodes.  This gives even more credence to the fact that the whole show is scripted.

I don't doubt for a second the show is scripted, but after knowing how hot and heavy the "masks" are, I don't think I'd want to commit to more than a day or two anyway. I just can't imagine carrying that heat/weight 2 straight weeks in a row, especially if you're claustrophobic. Unless, of course, I really wanted to win and/or had a story arc to fulfill.

• Like 2

So strange... I got another email and now it says:

Join Nick Cannon, Ken Jeong, Robin Thicke, Nicole Scherzinger, and Jenny McCarthy live in the studio audience! Be the first to see the brand new characters by securing your spot today! Tickets are limited, so act quickly! We're taping at LA Center Studio this season!

Taping: 9/6, 9/8, 9/9, 9/19, 9/21, 9/22, 9/24, 9/28, 10/2, 10/5, 10/6

So what happened to the previous email that says Season 10 was taping in July and August?  I wonder if those tapings got cancelled.  Or are these September/October tapings for a Season 11?

The new season 10 is premiering on September 27.  I thought there are already promos of some of the characters on stage airing, if the July tapings were cancelled, are those scenes from rehearsals?

On 8/19/2023 at 7:48 PM, HyeChaps said:

So, who writes the scripts?

I would assume the producers determine the order of eliminations.  I also think the panellists might be told exactly when they are allowed to give a correct guess.  In Season 1, everyone knew the Bee was Gladys Knight as soon as she opened her mouth.  But they held off guessing her for a bit, and even then, they seemed to all mention her name far earlier in the season than later  seasons seemed to allow.

I also think the panellists are fed names to guess.  There's no way that Ken knows every single sports figure and which of them can sing.  The Victor Olapido and Barry Zito guesses were completely out of left field, I don't buy that Ken knew that Barry Zito sings or could recall that he was on "JAG", a show that went off the air 15 years ago.  There's no way that Jenny McCarthy knows that many rap stars.

• Like 4

Looks like we’re getting a special kick-off episode Sunday Sept 10, 8pm EST/5 pm PST. This is following football and I’m sure we all know how that goes as far as timing 😬 Then back to the regularly scheduled airings starting Sept 27. 

This EW article has more info on what the season will bring, including some of the theme nights. Some interesting, some wtf-ish. The best thing I saw, and if this is too spoilery, I’ll edit, was that even though the “ding dong” bell was coming back, it could only be used once in the entire season. 

@blackwing, are you going to attend any of the tapings? 

• Useful 1
On 9/1/2023 at 2:06 PM, Bookworm13 said:

Looks like we’re getting a special kick-off episode Sunday Sept 10, 8pm EST/5 pm PST. This is following football and I’m sure we all know how that goes as far as timing 😬 Then back to the regularly scheduled airings starting Sept 27. 

This EW article has more info on what the season will bring, including some of the theme nights. Some interesting, some wtf-ish. The best thing I saw, and if this is too spoilery, I’ll edit, was that even though the “ding dong” bell was coming back, it could only be used once in the entire season. 

@blackwing, are you going to attend any of the tapings? 

No, I don't live in the L.A. area.

I hated the ding dong bell, but I guess since after the ridiculousness of the Medusa, it's more and more evident that everything seems scripted anyways, I suppose it's just another tool in the writers' script for them to use to get the outcome they want.

I do have to wonder if things are indeed scripted, how the show approaches the contestants.   "Hey, David Archuleta, you've dropped off the face of the earth.  We will put you on this show and get you some more likes on your instagram, but you're not going to win.  If you're ok with that, and figure that you can live with not winning in exchange for some media exposure, then sign up.  If not, we're going to ask Michelle Branch or Meredith Brooks."

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

I'll miss Nicole on Season 11.  At least they got someone with some musical credibility to temporarily replace her.  I think it's about time that they get rid of Nick, Ken and Jenny.  I would bring in Niecy, Joel McHale and Rita Ora as permanent replacements.  Show needs some changes after so many seasons.

• Applause 1

I have no idea who Rita Ora is, but I hope she brings something to the table and we don’t end up with another Jenny who talks a lot but says nothing. IMO, the show would be pretty boring if Robin is the only one with any musical knowledge/reasonable guesses. I see Ora is a singer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s well-versed in people out of her wheelhouse. 

14 hours ago, Bookworm13 said:

I have no idea who Rita Ora is, but I hope she brings something to the table and we don’t end up with another Jenny who talks a lot but says nothing. IMO, the show would be pretty boring if Robin is the only one with any musical knowledge/reasonable guesses. I see Ora is a singer, but that doesn’t necessarily mean she’s well-versed in people out of her wheelhouse. 

She's English, she's a pretty big deal in the UK and has had a lot of success there and in Europe.  Her music however seems fairly unfamiliar to mainstream U.S. audiences.  U.S. audiences might know her best for her acting, she was Jamie Dornan's sister in the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movies.

• Useful 2
On 9/28/2023 at 10:55 AM, blackwing said:

She's English, she's a pretty big deal in the UK and has had a lot of success there and in Europe.  Her music however seems fairly unfamiliar to mainstream U.S. audiences.  U.S. audiences might know her best for her acting, she was Jamie Dornan's sister in the "Fifty Shades of Grey" movies.

Thanks for this, but sadly, it doesn’t help me much. I’m not a mainstream music listener and never watched the 50 shades movie. If she’s bad, I’ll just mute her like I did for Nick the first few seasons I watched. 

Funny story, last week I looked at Spotify’s top 50 for the day, only recognized 3 of the names, and of those 3, had only heard a song by 1. 

Is the show pre-empted for baseball this week? The next scheduled episode was supposed to be episode 7, "One Hit Wonders Night", but I've been seeing ads that the show is going to be returning on Nov. 8th with "Trolls Night". 

9 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

Is the show pre-empted for baseball this week? The next scheduled episode was supposed to be episode 7, "One Hit Wonders Night", but I've been seeing ads that the show is going to be returning on Nov. 8th with "Trolls Night". 

The schedule I'm looking at has One Hit Wonders Night on Nov. 8. But it also has it on CTV on the 1st. Weird.