Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E06: Knockout

With Maura at a Medical Examiner's convention, Jane needs Susie's (guest star Tina Huang) help and crime scene dioramas to solve the perfect murder. Meanwhile, Korsak is visited by the son of an old friend and forced to deal with painful unfinished business.

Air Date: Tuesday, July 22nd

Promotional Photos

Susie's expanded role was fun - I don't actually construct dioramas, but I do sketch out rudimentary visual aids to help me wrap my mind around a puzzling set of events, so I got a kick out of those - and it worked to have the two leads separated, which isn't easy to pull off.  

It was background noise for me again, but that's really all I ask of something like this show.  Dispatch with the ill-conceived (yes, pun intended) pregnancy storyline, and I'll be a happy Tuesday night camper again.

• Love 2

I loved Suzie and her die -oramas! She and Maura make a good and funny pairing. I hope that they use her more.

Also liked seeing Korsak singing at the end. Whatever happened to Angela's romance with the Lieutenant? I noticed that he was dropped from the opening credits and was only in one episode so far.

(edited)

No doubt, nothing against Lorraine Bracco but her character gets on my ever loving last nerve. If I had a mother like that, I would have moved across the country. With regards to Jane's pregnancy, that woman must have a cast iron uterus. First she has that bone jarring fall shooting that guy awhile back and she's tossed across a room by an explosion. I would have thought that if the first thing was kind of worrisome but then the explosion happens and that didn't trigger a miscarriage? I realize that it's totally possible that her pregnancy could survive all that early on but I would think that the odds would be against it. Of course YMMV.

Edited by missbonnie
  • Love 1

Isn't the uterus a pretty effective shock absorber?  I roll with a largely non-procreating bunch, so I don't have a lot of experience with pregnant women, but whereas on television they have miscarriages - or scares, at least - at every fall, I think I've read that in reality it's fine the majority of the time.

Susie's expanded role was fun - I don't actually construct dioramas, but I do sketch out rudimentary visual aids to help me wrap my mind around a puzzling set of events, so I got a kick out of those - and it worked to have the two leads separated, which isn't easy to pull off.  

The die-oramas were ridiculously detailed, down to the paintings on the wall etc. hours and hours of needless work. But they just ran with it right to the end and got a lot of humor out of it, so I can't complain. (On CSI, someone would have done the same thing to the same level of detail with a computer model and played it straight, because computers are magic! on CSI)

Along the same lines, I was a little confused about the passage of time in this one. Did the evil dentist only spring for 2 day delivery or something?

• Love 1

I'm sure they love Lorraine Bracco but what is the point of spending money on her in every episode and giving her crappy lines when they could actually have others come be on the episode more like Suzie and them being there makes more sense? I mean, it's almost like they come up with these scenarios just so that they have something for Angela to do. 

• Love 1

Still watching the episode, but one scene just happened that had kind of a WTF moment. Korsak is in an office listening to that kids song. He has headphones on so doesn't hear Angela come in. He sees her and takes out his earbuds. Angela says something about the kid being good and then she said she like the song. How could she even have heard it?? Korsak was listening to it through headphones! I hate moments like that becuase it really pulls me out of the episode.

I agree about too much Angela, though. I like the quirkiness of this show, but Angela isn't quirky. She's frigging annoying.

• Love 4
(edited)

Isn't the uterus a pretty effective shock absorber? I roll with a largely non-procreating bunch, so I don't have a lot of experience with pregnant women, but whereas on television they have miscarriages - or scares, at least - at every fall, I think I've read that in reality it's fine the majority of the time.

Well, yes and no. Of course it varies from woman to woman. I can get on board with the first mishap and she's still good to go, but combined with that explosion not long after the first incident? That's a little suspect, at least to me anyway.

Edited by missbonnie

Angela says something about the kid being good and then she said she like the song. How could she even have heard it?? Korsak was listening to it through headphones! I hate moments like that becuase it really pulls me out of the episode.

I agree about too much Angela, though. I like the quirkiness of this show, but Angela isn't quirky. She's frigging annoying.

I believe right before Angela said something about the music, she put her hand on the laptop and did something, which I presume made the sound come out through the speakers.
  • Love 1

Angela can be annoying, but she did get Korsak to stop punishing himself and see that the young man viewed him as a link to his grandfather.  She has no boundaries, but a big heart.

• Love 1

I believe right before Angela said something about the music, she put her hand on the laptop and did something, which I presume made the sound come out through the speakers.

Sure, maybe that's what happened, but it just seemed weird.  ;)

• Love 1

Isn't the uterus a pretty effective shock absorber?  I roll with a largely non-procreating bunch, so I don't have a lot of experience with pregnant women, but whereas on television they have miscarriages - or scares, at least - at every fall, I think I've read that in reality it's fine the majority of the time.

I am not a medical professional, but when Mrs QF was pregnant with Mini-QF, my sister in law (who is a nurse) told me the uterus is fairly protective, and the reason they don't want pregnant women lifting is because of the risk of of tearing something in their body. Apparently the hormones that let your stomach muscles relax and allow the uterus to expand are not bright enough to JUST relax your stomach muscles, so there's a higher risk of hurting your joints if you overdue it. So I guess it's not that crazy that she hasn't lost the baby, but it is that crazy that she hasn't separated her shoulders?

That was extremely creepy at the cabin with the watermelons. The dentist's voice made me think of the guy in the low T commercial every time he spoke. I thought his reaction to his wife's weight loss and fitness was strange. He was worried men would hit on her, but would lots of men really hit on a 40 year old married woman who happened to be fit? (Well, the actress was gorgeous.)

Love Susie. Love the die-oramas. Agree though about the time it would take to actually make those. I was thinking about the fiddly work to make those bookshelves on the wall.

• Love 1
(edited)

but would lots of men really hit on a 40 year old married woman who happened to be fit? (Well, the actress was gorgeous.)

She wasn't an extreme weightlifter or anything. She was a woman who always had potential and really started taking good care of herself and her appearance. 

So, the answer is yes. Even Esquire deigned to admit as much, in the most patronizing way possible, of course.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/cafe/esquire-writer-lusts-after-42-year-old-women-is-this-progress

Edited by Latverian Diplomat

Now I have another reason to dislike dentists.  I wish they'd made him a sad-sack accountant or something instead of sad sack dentist.

I guess he was a dentist to explain the dental plaster. I don't think papier mache that an accountant would have access to, would work as well?