Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E05: Devotees In The Courthouse Of Love

WendyCR72

To air on October 21, 2019:

Lola officiates her first nuptials on "Wedding Day," an annual event when couples flock to the Hall of Justice to be married free of charge. Also, Lola and public defender Emily Lopez are torn between civil laws and the laws of a higher power when it seems they must allow Phoebe, a nun with a shady past, to go to prison for a criminal act against the church that she believes is morally right.

1 hour ago, TigerLynx said:

This episode was a little better.  There was more focus on actual law even though hijinks were still included.

I love Sherry.

I agree. I think it helped that it was a bench trial this time. 

I like all the characters but Sherry really is my favorite. 

I really hope that next week Judge Carmichael will have a case with a different defense attorney. We’re already seeing two different cases each week so there’s no reason Lopez can’t be up against Mark. 

Did Lola just wander around in her robe the whole episode, or was her regular outfit black and just looked like her robe (only belted?)? However, we have officially confirmed that Marg's character is gay (albeit recently dumped).

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Did Lola just wander around in her robe the whole episode, or was her regular outfit black and just looked like her robe (only belted?)? However, we have officially confirmed that Marg's character is gay (albeit recently dumped).

Wasn't she at the gala they were all at (the episode where the bailiff was racially profiled and received an award at that event), holding hands with a woman?

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Empress1 said:

Wasn't she at the gala they were all at (the episode where the bailiff was racially profiled and received an award at that event), holding hands with a woman?

Yes, but some people could argue that that was just a close friend/relative. It's not like they were making out.

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I had the same question, but caught a glimpse of it at one point, and it looked like she was wearing a black jumpsuit, or black blouse and matching pants.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, possibilities said:

No reason not to TELL Lola why judges aren't supposed to go out in the public areas. It's very simple, but TV wants people to speak in vague terms instead of explaining. I find that annoying.

I liked the episode, other than that.

I thought that Lola knew why judges did not go into public areas but she thought it was a stupid rule that served to isolate judges from the public. She’s a former prosecutor no one should need to explain courthouse procedures to her. 

I still think they were hedging their bets in the pilot on whether to have Lola's significant other be a woman and ultimately decided against it. I think it's no coincidence that the same episode that they revealed that Robin was a dude was the same episode they revealed that Lisa was gay.  "SOMEONE on this show is gonna be gay, consarnit!" Which I think is a fine attitude to have (these big ensemble shows really should have at least one gay character on them. It's simply realistic), it's just funny to see the machinations in real time. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Empress1 said:

If called to testify I would have swore that she was introduced as the wife

• Love 1
On 10/22/2019 at 4:38 PM, Brian Cronin said:

I'm really confused about the Amy Quinn character.  She seems like an unethical, dirty lawyer. It seems odd that they are trying to present her like she's somehow not a terrible person. 

I'm pretty sure we're also supposed to root for her and Mark to get together, but I just don't? 

I will say that I really liked this episode. I thought it worked better. I thought the case worked better in this episode. First off, Emma Dumont! Hello! You were still one of the better parts of The Gifted! I think I really liked the case this week because Lola didn't get involved that much and it relied on Emily to actually use the information shared by one of the Sisters to get Phoebe off completely. When Lola isn't trying to manipulate the case to fit her own needs, it works. Lola didn't have to call a dozen recesses to get the results that she wanted. 

So, obviously, they CAN do it. Plus, I didn't mind seeing Lola wandering around the court house. It was kind of funny to watch Sherry try to chase her down. Lola also figured out why it's a really bad idea to be wandering around the court house as a judge, as evidenced by that woman coming to confront her about how she tried her relative's case against him.

The Mark vs Amy stuff was...I guess, alright, actually. I did actually like that Amy didn't like her client or agree with her actions after all, but just did her job. It's actually refreshing to see that type of thing happen. Too often, on TV, we see lawyers actually be on the side of their client. So I thought it WAS a chance to see a defense attorney be completely against their client's activities. 

But that doesn't mean that I find the Mark/Amy banter amusing. It's not like I'm in love with Mark's current girlfriend; I'm kind of lukewarm on her since she hasn't really had many scenes. But I'm totally fine with Mark/Amy just having banter without getting together.

On 10/22/2019 at 2:06 PM, illdoc said:

Yes, but some people could argue that that was just a close friend/relative. It's not like they were making out.

I thought it was a nice, subtle way of displaying Lisa's sexuality. I took it to be her girlfriend at the gala and I guess it technically didn't HAVE to be, but I thought the hand-holding was a way to have it come across to the audience WITHOUT shoving it down our faces that it was her girlfriend. 

Of course, we got official confirmation this episode, but I like the way they handled it in the third episode. I hate when shows treat the audience like total idiots. And this way, they had the subtle clue of Lisa's sexuality before officially coming out with it a couple of episodes later, so...nice transition. Not out of nowhere, but also not shoved in our faces through the dialogue.

• Love 3

I liked this episode, most everything seems like things that could actually happen and were actually about working within the law. The multiple weddings were cute as well. 

I guess we are heading towards Mark and the blond defense attorney getting together, and I am really not seeing it. Its nice to see that she didnt actually agree with her con artist client and told her to kick rocks, but she still strikes me as a rather unethical lawyer, kind of smug, and I dont really get much chemistry from them. Honestly, Mark can do better. 

Could they just explain to Lola why judges dont go down to the non judge zone?! Or explain it to us? 

I liked seeing Polaris from The Gifted (playing a nun!) as Sister Penelope, and I liked that story in general. And I am glad they talked about court fees, they really are messed up.

On 10/26/2019 at 11:39 AM, tennisgurl said:

Could they just explain to Lola why judges dont go down to the non judge zone?! Or explain it to us? 

I did think it was a little silly the one time she goes into the public areas, she's suddenly accosted by a random woman with a grudge against her.  It seems like they just could have explained that to her without needing to show us.  Also, was that woman just going to randomly wander the courthouse on the off chance that Lola might walk by?   

48 minutes ago, txhorns79 said:

Also, was that woman just going to randomly wander the courthouse on the off chance that Lola might walk by?   

She was there because her son was arrested. Which apparently she felt was entirely Lola’s fault for sending her husband to prison. 

You would think that it would be just as problematic for the prosecutors to be seen in the courthouse. Dealing with irate family members shouldn’t be a new experience for Lola. 

I was surprised that Lola cutting in front of the long line to talk to a clerk didn’t result in an altercation.