Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03: Bigger Kids, Bigger Problems

When Anna-Kat’s school lunch lady refuses to make simple eco-friendly changes in the school cafeteria, Greg enlists the help of his friend and fellow environmentalist Bill Doty. In an attempt to win over the lunch lady, they put on a show at the school highlighting the importance of recycling; but when those efforts fail, Greg is forced to call in reinforcements: “Mr. Green”! Meanwhile, Katie discovers that Taylor went behind her back to obtain a prescription for birth control; things quickly go from bad to worse when Katie learns that Angela is the one who took her to get the prescription.

Air date: 10/11/19

I just don't get why they have to BASH over the head that Greg is an environmentalist, and everyone else HATES recycling. I will admit, I LOVED the Drew Carry Show Reunion, the chemistry is still there and everyone has aged extremely well. AS for Taylor, yeah, she can't remember how to tie her shows, blow out candles, but hey create sneak around and fill out needed forms for birth control. She is a grade A genius there? Oh please! Another cliche with Katie over reacting to this. Yes, we get it, its TV, rarely do we see a more: "normal reaction" to things. I see though to keep it from showing Taylor's boyfriend is dumber than her, they now limit his speaking. His reactions were actually pretty normal, the problem is. The Ottos were all about paying back the asshole who schemed to break up Taylor and Trip just to sleep with her. Yet, knowing a 2 year relationships with 18 year old hormon teenagers and that thought never crosses their mind?

My niece just went off to college and as much as I love her and know she is a very smart young woman. I know she is attracted to men and is a typical 18 year old, so yeah, her parents and us pretty much know with her boyfriend, they have probably done it by now. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Keywestclubkid said:

This whole episode was pretty eh to me 

All the characters were one-dimensional, no nuance at all. Except for Angela.

Taylor and Trip need guidance, not roadblocks.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, ams1001 said:

If Taylor's 18, why does she need anyone to take her to the doctor?

Because it's Taylor.

Seriously though, I can see her needing support and for Angela helping her ask the doctor the right questions. At least Taylor was smart enough to ask Angela. Even if Katie eventually calms down, she'll just bulldoze the doctor if she's the one who went with Taylor.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, Snow Apple said:

Because it's Taylor.

Seriously though, I can see her needing support and for Angela helping her ask the doctor the right questions. At least Taylor was smart enough to ask Angela. Even if Katie eventually calms down, she'll just bulldoze the doctor if she's the one who went with Taylor.

Good point..

• Love 3
9 hours ago, ams1001 said:

If Taylor's 18, why does she need anyone to take her to the doctor?

And I doubt the lunch lady is the one deciding what kind of plates the school cafeteria uses.

6 hours ago, possibilities said:

A commercial dishwasher would be a requirement for a school cafeteria, as a matter of health codes. They should have raised money for the equipment. Also, no way one person alone staffs that entire operation.

Thank you, I was going to say the same thing.  It also bugs me no end the way the show depicted the "lunch lady" like she is the big bad evil non-environmentalist common person that the elites love to stereotype and have a reason to bash.  And so they had to be very unrealistic and unfair to people that have no say in these matters in order to do that.  My SIL was a lunch lady for years and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the choice of dishware.  If they wanted to get after anyone it would have been more appropriate to go far further up the chain.  I'm sorry but this really pissed me off....

• Love 11
3 hours ago, Yeah No said:

Thank you, I was going to say the same thing.  It also bugs me no end the way the show depicted the "lunch lady" like she is the big bad evil non-environmentalist common person that the elites love to stereotype and have a reason to bash.  And so they had to be very unrealistic and unfair to people that have no say in these matters in order to do that.  My SIL was a lunch lady for years and had absolutely NOTHING to do with the choice of dishware.  If they wanted to get after anyone it would have been more appropriate to go far further up the chain.  I'm sorry but this really pissed me off....

Oh totally!  It was the silliest thing.

If Anna Kat wanted to be environmentally responsible, appealing to the school board/administration - or whoever actually has the power to make those decisions - would be a much more reasonable step to take.

And even though it's just a goofy sitcom that I don't take very seriously, it did bug me to some degree that Anna Kat (and the rest of them) were blaming the lunch lady for their own waste like it was her fault.  Anna Kat could bring her own lunch from school in a reusable container, or even just bring her own reusable dishware and take it home to wash each day.  (Or compostable even.)

I bring my own glass storage containers for leftovers whenever I eat out, to avoid those awful styrofoam containers from restaurants which sit in landfills forever.  I've been doing that for decades.  So it bugged me that they were so quick to blame somebody else instead of considering what changes they could make themselves. 

Edited by AnnaRose
  • Love 8
10 hours ago, OpalNightstream said:

How is the one lunch lady responsible for the school’s paper goodS policy?? Wouldn’t that be a school district issue? The cafeteria lady has nothing to do with the policies at lunch. 

Being a teacher and having started down in lunch duty back in the day, I also was: "I know this is a sitcom, but this was too much!" Now, if she would have been the food director, then ok, but she is someone who is working with the policy in place. You would be appealing to the school board, or hell, even the dumb ass principal that runs the school in the Ottos town. Not one single lunch lady. 

• Love 6

Maybe this was mentioned in another thread, but why does Trip call Katie "Mrs. A."?  Is it just to show how dumb he is?

About the lunch lady: it was nice to see Kathy Kinney again. OK, the character and situation was ridiculous, but this whole show is ridiculous; you just have to sit back and enjoy it.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, MaryMitch said:

Maybe this was mentioned in another thread, but why does Trip call Katie "Mrs. A."?  Is it just to show how dumb he is?

He thinks their name is "Auto" like a car (and yes).

It was a bit from when the character first showed up, and they gave up trying to explain it to him.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

He thinks their name is "Auto" like a car (and yes).

It was a bit from when the character first showed up, and they gave up trying to explain it to him.

Yeah, he doesn't get how you can say "auto" and it's not spelled that way. Same with how Taylor can't get an order of steps on things, she just does it and then goes: "oh shit!" "I should have just taken my time." 

• Love 1

For a sit-com, this episode wasn't particularly funny. It was great seeing Drew Carey and Kathy Kinney teeing off against each other, though. Oh, does Kathy ever have blue eye shadow!

Trip may be a doofus, but he is sincere and responsible. It's Taylor that's the loose cannon -- just like her mom. I know Katie is the title character, but Greg should have had "the talk" with Trip. Katie's version was more like comedian Bill Ingvall's, whispering to the beau, "If anything happens to my daughter, I got no problem going back to prison!"

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bobbin said:

For a sit-com, this episode wasn't particularly funny. It was great seeing Drew Carey and Kathy Kinney teeing off against each other, though. Oh, does Kathy ever have blue eye shadow!

Trip may be a doofus, but he is sincere and responsible. It's Taylor that's the loose cannon -- just like her mom. I know Katie is the title character, but Greg should have had "the talk" with Trip. Katie's version was more like comedian Bill Ingvall's, whispering to the beau, "If anything happens to my daughter, I got no problem going back to prison!"

Right, of course when Taylor tried to get a hotel room with Trip last season, what was Greg's first response? Oh yeah, "I'll kill him!" later: "I'm sorry to say guys have only one thing on their mind." Until Taylor told him it was all her plan and what she had on her mind. It gets to the point where you just want to say: "Oh just sleep together and be done with it!" It's not coming across as funny and at this point, I'm surprised either one of them would know how to have sex. I can see it now: Trip: "I'm suppose to get hard right?" Taylor: "Um... i think, now what goes where now?"

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Eataton said:

Are they not bringing him back?

I have no idea. From the episode  descriptions released so far it does not seem like he appears. But he was always in just a handful of episodes.

2 hours ago, OrchidThief said:

The lead actress is abrasive, unpleasant and generally obnoxious. What is the appeal?

I think that's just the way younger people are these days, but what do I know, I'm just a COL (clueless old lady)?

On 10/20/2019 at 2:10 PM, SnarkySheep said:

Did anyone else have a moment, where they unwittingly imagined Taylor and Trip with a baby, and just shuddered in horror? Seriously, it would be worse than Haley and Dylan on Modern Family...

Oh I know and the producers can say: "Well, look at parents today." Yeah, well the way they are going, these kids probably wouldn't know how the basic functions of child birth even work. I'm surprise they even know how to tie their shoes or put on underwear at this point. 

• Love 1