Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E13: Dr. Barry

On 5/7/2019 at 5:04 PM, Aryanna said:

I'm sure you're like me and went to a large high school. For us it wouldn't make sense to know and remember all of our teachers.  I think that their school was a small private school though so they probably had a lot more interaction

Good point, that makes a lot of sense.

Anyway, I just watched the Dr. Barry episode.  Lainey is still hung up on Barry, but he goes back to Detroit and they just leave everything up in the air.  Ugh, it's horrible.  Move on already.  Especially with CB right there.

I liked how CB noted that Barry shouts everything he says.

• Love 7

I think I would have been happier if she had initially agreed to go with Barry and then realized that she loved teaching and the kids too much to go.  The way it played out on the show felt like it took away some of Lainey's agency.  She doesn't want to go, but it's Barry, so she goes and HE rejects her.  Now granted it's really character growth that Barry realizes it wouldn't make Lainey happy and he wants her to be happy.  But it's not growth for Lainey on a show where Lainey is the narrator.

On the other hand, I loved all the JTP references.  That group of boys are just hilarious together.   And it was nice seeing where the all ended up.  But I was hoping for more from Matt Bradley than a grilled cheese truck.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, kirkola said:

But I was hoping for more from Matt Bradley than a grilled cheese truck.

I agree.  I did laugh though, at the fact he was at a Phish concert.  Wasn't that kind of the second coming of the Grateful Dead in the 90's? 

I wondered if that wasn't his career, but was a weekend hobby?  He didn't have an official food truck.  He was just grilling sandwiches next to his van. 

• Love 10
On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 5:04 PM, Aryanna said:

I'm sure you're like me and went to a large high school. For us it wouldn't make sense to know and remember all of our teachers. I think that their school was a small private school though so they probably had a lot more interaction with those teachers and knew them better. Plus, I think they interacted with those teachers over several years. It'd be like a small town school where K-12 is on one campus.

My public high school had fewer than 500 students total.  We had the same teachers for 4 years, so we did get to know some of them pretty well.  My French and Spanish teacher actually had her senior students to her house for dinner every year, and at least one year had a big pool party at her parents' house for all her junior and senior students.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, kirkola said:

On the other hand, I loved all the JTP references.  That group of boys are just hilarious together.   And it was nice seeing where the all ended up.  But I was hoping for more from Matt Bradley than a grilled cheese truck.

They were the only reason I watched this episode.  (I generally don't watch Schooled because quite frankly Lainey was the least interesting character on The Goldbergs.)  So I guess I'll watch anything if the JTP are included.

• Love 2
On 5/7/2019 at 4:04 PM, Aryanna said:

I'm sure you're like me and went to a large high school. For us it wouldn't make sense to know and remember all of our teachers. I think that their school was a small private school though so they probably had a lot more interaction with those teachers and knew them better. Plus, I think they interacted with those teachers over several years. It'd be like a small town school where K-12 is on one campus.

According to Wikipedia William Penn Charter School has 960 students TOTAL across K-12.  I graduated with 485. Admittedly I'm older than Adam (I think), but I definitely can't remember all my high school teachers.  

I would imagine he's also gone back and talked with some of the ones that are still teaching about his scripts. He's portraying all of them in a fairly positive light. 

• Love 3

One of my favorite things about this show and The Goldbergs is when they show the real life people the characters are based on. If there was an award for casting, those shows should win it! I can't believe the art teacher actually had that mustache! lol

CB is such a better catch than Barry. I hope Lainey eventually comes around to him.

• Love 9

I love this show because it’s no brain TV.  I have so much stress in my day, I need this kind of fluff to even it out.  and I can watch it with my kid.  

I also love all the nostalgia.  I don’t nit pick, I just enjoy. 

• Love 12

I personally found it annoying that Barry accomplished all he did, and they had him come back as if he just stepped away from high school two minutes ago (in regard to his lack of maturity).  And I just wasn't buying that he would be stupid enough to interrupt her planned event--Barry is stupid, but not that stupid.  

I enjoyed the JTP, and parts of the other interactions with the teachers.  But I still loathe the sappy little statements they make at the end of each episode in this show.  It just doesn't fit the school environment as much as it does the family environment in the Goldbergs, imo.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, alexa said:

they had him come back as if he just stepped away from high school two minutes ago

Agree

I realize the episode was supposed to be about Barry gaining maturity by the end but at the beginning of the episode he was exactly the same as he was in Goldbergs. And if they thought throwing a blue blazer over his Flyers jersey aged him up, they were way wrong.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Barry seemed to instantly regress to high school Barry-ness the instant he walked into the high school, and I dont really know how I feel about Barry and Lainey maybe getting back together. Not only has the mother show implied that Barry has met the woman he will move on with (who is based on real Barry's wife), but Lainey is supposed to be moving on with her life, and having her be in love with Barry, who is presumably off-screen in Detroit, just seems like backpedaling. They were each others high school loves, but its been years! Its time to move on!

However, its all worth it to see 90s era JTP. JTP! Those guys are hilarious in every scene they're in, no matter what decade it is. 

• Love 1
15 minutes ago, tennisgurl said:

Not only has the mother show implied that Barry has met the woman he will move on with (who is based on real Barry's wife)

I must have missed this or glossed over it. When/where did he meet her? What episode was it?

6 minutes ago, Aryanna said:

I must have missed this or glossed over it. When/where did he meet her? What episode was it?

Episode 21 of this season. He met her at school and her name is Kim which is the name of real life wife.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2