Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

The first episode was very different to what the trailer presented in terms of overall humou, so I was disappointed but the ending was enough to make me want to give the 2nd episode a chance.

I confess I was confused about whether this was happening in a high school or a college because many of the kids looked too old for high school and the school looked more like a university than a school.

• Love 3

All of the actors are way too old to be portraying high schoolers, but at least the talent is good. 

Lange and Paltrow are definitely the standouts here. 

Most of the reviews are describing it as a mess, but a good mess. I would say that is an accurate portrayal so far. 

• Love 1

Basically, it's Dear Evan Hansen (it has a similar theme, if more overblown) but with affluent people. 

I seriously thought this show would be about political interns or somesuch because that's what comes to mind when you hear who is starring in it. 

• Love 3

Well, I did decide to watch. I never saw Dear Evan Hansen so I can't comment on that part, but this definitely gives me early seasons Glee vibe (which makes sense, as the three showrunners for Glee are back for this show). And...that's not even necessarily a bad thing, because I liked early seasons of Glee, when the show was intentionally campy and fun to watch, but with some undertones of dark humor.

Granted, The Politician is already trying to balance the funny and the more serious moments, and I don't necessarily think it's worked in this pilot that much, but the actors are great and I am having fun, so I'll continue watching. 

• Love 2
On 9/28/2019 at 1:37 PM, Aliferously said:

River does not look like a high schooler whatsoever.

It was so distracting.

I found that for all of them! It’s worse than the original 90210. When I saw the preview I somehow thought it was college but I don’t think I can get over this being high school.

• Love 3

I liked this enough to keep watching. That surprised me because I thought Ryan Murphy had lost whatever it was that made me like his shows. I loved Popular, liked the first season of Glee and give up Scream Queens after two episodes. And that was one more than I should have watched but my love for Popular made me want to see if maybe it would improve.

So I wasn't really planning to watch this based on Ryan Murphy's involvement. But then I saw a cast list and noticed that Zoey Deutch was in this and I really liked her in other roles so I decided to give this a chance. Her character Infinity and her mother reminded me very much of Gypsy and Dee Dee from The Act, so no surprise that she's faking her cancer even though the show seemed to want to make the reveal look like some big shock twist.

• Love 3

I watched two episodes and didn't love it. Maybe I have watched TOO MUCH Ryan Murphy but it seemed too derivative of his past shows, but less funny. Gwyneth and her loutish sons have been my favorites so far. I do not understand the point of Ben Platt's advisors? They seem SO BORING and mumbly and bland? They are the weakest link to me, so far. I am not sure if I will be back for more. Didn't hate it! Didn't love it.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Heathrowe said:

Didn't hate it! Didn't love it.

That sums up my feelings but I encourage you to stick with it cause I found the last episode to be really good and I;m eager now for the second season. I view this season as one big pilot for Season 2.

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, paulvdb said:

I liked this enough to keep watching. That surprised me because I thought Ryan Murphy had lost whatever it was that made me like his shows

Have you seen 9-1-1?

As for the show... It's SO Ryan Murphy lol

though the pilot started out slow and meh. I wasn't sure whether I'd go on with the show. But River's suicide flipped it and made it interesting. Added some sentiment to crazy RM campy kitsch. (this is when RM shows work. when real life emotions and relationships are juxtaposed to the camp.)

• Love 1
On 9/29/2019 at 5:01 AM, Aliferously said:

Basically, it's Dear Evan Hansen (it has a similar theme, if more overblown) but with affluent people. 

Other than the cast, and that it takes place at a High School, how is it like Dear Evan Hansen? I don't see similarities at all.

• Love 1
On 10/4/2019 at 1:49 PM, lovett1979 said:

Other than the cast, and that it takes place at a High School, how is it like Dear Evan Hansen? I don't see similarities at all.

It seems more like the movie Election than DEH to me.

Cam someone explain the timeline to me? Everyone's getting their acceptance/rejection/waitlist letters, which happens no earlier than December, correct? But he's also running for president? Doesn't that happen the previous spring? 

• Love 3
On 10/8/2019 at 1:11 AM, CeeBeeGee said:

Cam someone explain the timeline to me? Everyone's getting their acceptance/rejection/waitlist letters, which happens no earlier than December, correct? But he's also running for president? Doesn't that happen the previous spring? 

OMG! YES!  Please tell me how a Senior getting communications from Harvard is running to be Senior Class President!  Even if he applied to Harvard "early decision", he'd hear no earlier than December.  And he states in a future episode:

Spoiler

He has been accepted by Stanford, Princeton & Yale.  You can't apply early decision to multiple schools!

Other than this egregious error, I am loving this show so far.  Sadly, I will probably binge and be out of episodes before the weekend is over.

• Love 4
On 10/10/2019 at 3:39 PM, BusyOctober said:

OMG! YES!  Please tell me how a Senior getting communications from Harvard is running to be Senior Class President!  Even if he applied to Harvard "early decision", he'd hear no earlier than December.  And he states in a future episode:

Hide contents

He has been accepted by Stanford, Princeton & Yale.  You can't apply early decision to multiple schools!

Other than this egregious error, I am loving this show so far.  Sadly, I will probably binge and be out of episodes before the weekend is over.

With a Senior in the throes of college application, I, like you, can’t suspend my disbelief in these particular areas. 😉