Type keyword(s) to search

And The Golden Arrow Goes To...: Awards, Nominations, and Recognition

statsgirl
  • Start Topic

OK, I just googled "Turkish Soap Operas".  The show wasn't specifically mentioned, but apparently Turkey is now second only to the US in distribution of dramas.   Their shows are big in Turkey, North Africa, and Asia, but they are also huge in Mexico, central America, and South America. Battles between warring factions would halt when certain shows were on since both sides of the conflict were fans of the show. The finale of a popular soap was watched by 85 million people worldwide, and Turkish names are becoming popular in Chile.  

So there's the fandom.  

There were several articles, but this was the most thorough:

How Turkish Soap Operas Took Over The World

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mellowyellow said:

I think we might have a chance if everyone votes! I am voting now while I wait for the carpark to empty because I don't park well! 

Why are they not asking me for CAPTCHAs?????

They don't ask until they do and then they do until they don't, lol.  I wouldn't read anything into it.  :D

12 hours ago, WindofChange said:

Apparently Malec fans are asking WA fans to help them on twitter by inciting anger for the 'wedding'...... I mean I thought they were big and organized, why would they need their help? Not only is it sad but it makes their fandom kind of look weak.

I haven't voted much in this poll but I am going to vote now :) Thanks for the motivation! #Petty

I got given three days off work so I'm ready to let my petty flag fly. I hope WestAllen fans listen to Frozens 'Let it Go' a few thousand times. The crossover was four months ago. Time to move on. Also you'd think they would have put more energy into winning themselves but oh well.

Edited by Mary0360
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, Mary0360 said:

Also you'd think they would have put more energy into winning themselves but oh well.

They can't. As much as they like lording Flash's higher viewership numbers over Arrow fans, there just aren't enough actual WA fans to win any Internet polls. 

This is at 11:42 a.m. Saturday ... I have a feeling we'll be like this all weekend long.

Screen Shot 2018-02-17 at 11.42.37 AM.png

• Love 2

I called my SIL in CA and asked her if she watched that Turkish soap opera. I almost couldn’t get her off the phone. She started going into great detail. I finally told her I was frying fish and needed to hang up. I don’t fry anything and I detest fish. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, BunsenBurner said:

I called my SIL in CA and asked her if she watched that Turkish soap opera. I almost couldn’t get her off the phone. She started going into great detail. I finally told her I was frying fish and needed to hang up. I don’t fry anything and I detest fish. 

???

• Love 1

They’re currently at 50.7% and I really hope they hold. Meanwhile, mulder and Scully are getting trampled. The other couple has 63% of the vote. I’m not surprised that a Turkish series has a lot of fans, I’m just surprised so many of them care about eonline,

• Love 1

hehe I voted until the very bitter end! Were people seriously anti voting against us?

I am so satisfied that we are one of the last two standing and the ONLY Arrowverse ship that even had a chance at winning! 

*off to crumb lamb cutlets now*

• Love 7

When I woke up this morning, Olicity had 49.5%. For them to win by 4% is amazing. 

The last round is definitely going to be a beast. In the comments, the Mulder/Scully fans are mystified as to how they were losing by such a big margin and there are lots of allegations of cheating. Since the drama in the comments doesn't involve Olicity, I have to admit that I find it pretty entertaining. LOL.

ETA: Well, it was entertaining until the Wounded Love fans started accusing every critical comment of being slander against the entire nation of Turkey. I didn't really expect a silly online shipping poll to become a proxy for world politics. Yuck. 

Edited by KenyaJ
  • Love 4

Finally. It's over. We won against one couple's fandom plus however many others were anti-voting us! Woo! Olicity will be moving on to the next very likely unwinnable round against that Turkish soap opera couple. But, yay! I'm proud of this fandom, regardless. :)

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Eonline for truly proving a fact that I've always known about myself... I. Am. Not. A. Robot!!!
tenor.gif?itemid=3579688

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

hehe I voted until the very bitter end! Were people seriously anti voting against us?

I don't know if there were people that were really anti-voting us, but there were certainly lots of posts from non-Malec fans encouraging their own fandoms to vote against us. 

6 years, and they still don't understand that trash talking and slander fire up Olicity fans like nothing else does.

• Love 9
2 minutes ago, SleepDeprived said:

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Eonline for truly proving a fact that I've always known about myself... I. Am. Not. A. Robot!!!

I'm seriously considering suing Eonline and Captcha for intentional infliction of emotional distress. My god.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

When I woke up this morning, Olicity had 49.5%. For them to win by 4% is amazing. 

The last round is definitely going to be a beast. In the comments, the Mulder/Scully fans are mystified as to how they were losing by such a big margin and there are lots of allegations of cheating. Since the drama in the comments doesn't involve Olicity, I have to admit that I find it pretty entertaining. LOL.

Those Wounded Love fans are fucking assholes. Even before the cheating comments started they were just being nasty. Calling Mulder/Scully fans old and just being absolutely horrible people in general.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Those Wounded Love fans are fucking assholes. Even before the cheating comments started they were just being nasty. Calling Mulder/Scully fans old and just being absolutely horrible people in general.

Yeah, I edited my comment because I was appalled as I read further. Apparently, they were spamming Gillian Anderson on Twitter? If they try that shit with Stephen and Emily, there are gonna be problems.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

The comparison in the vote totals between these two rounds is amazing. 

With the amount of trash talking going on from the Malec fans to the Olicity fans they only motivated us to vote harder :) What can I say? We are fueled by Petty ;)

• Love 3
1 hour ago, thegirlsleuth said:

425,635?!  Hail, Hileon. We who are about to die salute you. 

? But in all honesty, I didn’t truly expect we’d win this round either and when Oliver and Felicity held at more than 49% for a good while, I was ready to accept that as being a more than good enough showing. And then, boom. So I’m not discounting them yet.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, bijoux said:

? But in all honesty, I didn’t truly expect we’d win this round either and when Oliver and Felicity held at more than 49% for a good while, I was ready to accept that as being a more than good enough showing. And then, boom. So I’m not discounting them yet.

426k did give me pause, but I'm not discounting the Olicity fandom at all. You could see how much the fandom upped their game from the last time. As a group the Olicity fandom achieves powerful results.

• Love 1

Amazing job, guys! Last year the winner of this poll was a Danish TV couple (Skam's Isak and Even). This year the winner might be a Turkish TV couple. So I went back and looked at the nomination guidelines for this competition, but I'm still mystified at the success of these couples..

Couples are eligible if they: 

—Were/are on a primetime or streaming show that released new episodes in 2017 or 2018
—Were together in 2017 or 2018 (Meaning they kissed, hooked up, or expressed romantic love to each other—we love our dream ships too but they can't all be included!) 

Edited by tv echo
19 hours ago, insomniadreams88 said:

I want Olicity to win this poll for two reasons:

1) The stupid anti-voting, whether people anti-voted or not. Just the talk of it was bad enough.

2) E’s stupid article after the crossover

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, it would be great for Olicity to win just to stick it to E!, but on the other hand, they're earning money with every refresh. I was willing to overlook this for the sake of winning the other rounds, but I kind of think it would be just desserts for E! to end up with a winning couple that none of their readers know or care about and they won't get extra page hits.

Plus, it really seems like there are shenanigans going on with that fandom's voting, and I'm not going to knock myself out making a futile effort.

Edit: They put up 12k votes in the first 20 minutes. 

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 5
39 minutes ago, lemotomato said:

Plus, it really seems like there are shenanigans going on with that fandom's voting, and I'm not going to knock myself out making a futile effort.

It's midnight in Turkey. You don't believe thousands of people stayed up to vote in this poll? LOL. Yeah, I don't want to go all conspiracy theory, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that this isn't on the up and up. Oh well. I'm kind of amused to see how E! is going to publicize this winner.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, KenyaJ said:

I'm kind of amused to see how E! is going to publicize this winner.

Me too, especially since, if you read the write-up for the final round, they couldn't be bothered to do even minimal research to write something about the couple other than the name of the show. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, lemotomato said:

I'm of two minds about this. On the one hand, it would be great for Olicity to win just to stick it to E!, but on the other hand, they're earning money with every refresh. I was willing to overlook this for the sake of winning the other rounds, but I kind of think it would be just desserts for E! to end up with a winning couple that none of their readers know or care about and they won't get extra page hits.

How can you see the number of votes? I only see percentages after casting a vote and those do not look good.

In the article I read about how Turkish soap operas have become a global phenomena, they talked about how popular the shows have become in South America, with people giving their kids Turkish names.  Turkey may be asleep but South America is not.

At least that fandom (right now and so far at least) are not being asses in the comments to the Olicity fandom.  Several are wishing us well and praising Olicity. I heard that was NOT the case in the last round with X-Files.  

14 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

So we're not voting? I'll vote if there is a planned fandom thing to vote but not of it's going to be futile. 

I tend to agree with what @lemotomato said plus I feel like we've flexed our muscles enough! 

I went and made a single symbolic vote for Olicity.  But otherwise, I'm good stopping at beating every other known English speaking fandom in the world.  I feel like we already won what really matters.  That sounds more than a little self-aggrandizing but it's hard to really give a damn about some show that's never going to count in my sphere of existence.  

• Love 3

Well, nicely played to those South American fans. They are on it. 

15 minutes ago, Mellowyellow said:

So we're not voting? I'll vote if there is a planned fandom thing to vote but not of it's going to be futile. 

I tend to agree with what @lemotomato said plus I feel like we've flexed our muscles enough! 

I'm still going to vote, but within reason. I didn't even realize the next round started today, and I still have Captcha PTSD at the moment. In any event, I'm good with Olicity being the last couple standing from a North American production. That's impressive enough on its own.

• Love 5