Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E39: My Boyfriend's Fed Up With My Weight

Thanks David!

I had really mixed emotions about this episode. Having a morbidly obese spouse myself, I could relate to the men who wanted their women to lose weight and their frustration. On the other hand, especially with the "gym rat" boyfriend, I thought he was WAY over the top and his Mom! OMG. How rude of her. That poor woman. How embarrassing and demeaning to meet your boyfriends Mom and 20 minutes later she's telling you your fat ("please don't be offended") and then aggressively telling you to go to the gym. The boyfriend should have shut her up but he seemed pleased. I kind of got the feeling that he saw the poor girl as a project to work on. 

• Love 1

I only watched in bits and pieces, and only the first half or so, but I had some sympathy for the guy whose partner needed him to do things like put her shoes on for her.  She's putting her health at risk in a major way (and, why, exactly, was she intending to go ahead with that second pregnancy?!) and turning him into a caretaker to boot. 

The other guy, though?  Absolutely disgusting.  Meeting his mom, it's plain to see how he got that way.  Yeah, she needed to get in better shape, but it was hardly the dire situation he made it out to be.  Even if it was, the way he expressed himself would be unacceptable.  I don't think he had any genuine concern for her health or happiness.  I would hope the update at the end (which I didn't see) revealed that the woman had dumped his ass, but I know better than to do that to myself.

• Love 2

When he blamed her for gaining weight and told his mom that, I was like, "girl, dump him, he's a dick." Throwing out her food (just because she has sugar in the house doesn't mean she was eating it out of the bag with a spoon, dipshit), haranguing her to stay at the gym when she'd been there an hour and a half ... he treated her like shit. And he was in better shape but she was better-looking, I thought. He had terrible skin.

• Love 2

This episode annoyed me irrationally.

First, I feel like MTV played fast and loose with the timeline. The black woman finds out she's pregnant after missing one period, they break up, she tries to get him back a week later, fails, and then two more weeks have passed. She's now a changed woman, working out, and eating salads, so he decides to take her back.

Then in the followup, two months after they got together, the baby was born. I mean ... a three, four month pregnancy? For the first time, it really seems like these people were following a script or doing a reenactment, and that sucked.

The other couple, she was way too good for him. I hope she loses the weight, gets healthy, and then dumps him and his loser mother. And what was up with all of the absurd, inappropriate grinning he was doing? I felt like he didn't have a leg to stand on complaining about her weight, he met her fat, fell in love with her fat, and should have supported her, not make her his pet project. What a jerk. I hope she knows she can do better. 

• Love 3

That mother was beyond appalling. My jaw literally dropped when she called her fat. Who does that??? She took it like a champ because I would have surely walked out of that restaurant, broke up with that shit eating grinning bastard, and went on to lose 150 pounds just to show him what he lost out on. Fuckers.

• Love 2

The "gym rat" boyfriend was extremely controlling and abusive. He actually creeped me out a bit. I did think the day of filming where they ate ice cream and then he came home and found out he gained 10 lbs was a re-enactment. And yes, the mom was shockingly rude. Both the mom and the son seemed so shallow.

I liked the story with the other couple, and her reaction to finding out about the 2nd pregnancy seemed genuine. But as a poster above mentioned, the timelines were pretty short so I'm sensing there were some re-enactments there as well.

The gym rat guy was a huge dickhead...and I have the feeling that even if his gf weren't overweight he'd find something to nitpick and obsess about. Right now it's just that she's fat. Once she loses the weight (if she ever does) it will be something else. Guys like that are just never happy.

The other couple were depressing, at least at first. I'm glad the woman decided to really start making an effort to lose weight and be healthier. No one really wants to be the guy who has to put his wife's shoes on cos she's too damn big to do it herself. I'd be curious to see an update on those two after maybe a year or so.

• Love 2

Yeah, the gym boyfriend's mom was a piece of work. I hate when people say, "I don't mean any disrespect" and then go ahead and make some asshole-ish comment. I hope they break up because the mom now knows she doesn't have to respect the girlfriend. The other couple was kind of a sad case but I did find myself mesmerized by the woman's eye make up. It was pretty awesome.

Definitely one of the better episodes we've seen over the last 2-3 years from True Life. I felt so bad for Desiree because she gained so much weight so quickly, and it didn't help that she was depressed about the loss of the baby, but I also felt for the boyfriend because he is so young and clearly was not interested in being a caretaker. He said when he met her, she was big, but active in that she could walk and dance with no issues. Now, she can't even walk without assistance. I'd love to see an update on them since Desiree ended up taking her health into her hands and seemed to wanted to get healthier for herself and her child.

Enrique looks like someone who had (sorta still has) really bad skin as a teenager and turned to fitness as a way to compensate for his poor self image. Sara is beautiful, heavy or not. He doesn't have much going on in the looks or personality department so bullying his girlfriend makes him feel better. His mother is an asshole too.

Sara, run the hell away. You'll never have a happy day with him. Lose the weight for yourself and depend on the people who accept you for who you are and will support realistic goals.

• Love 1

Just watched this one! I feel like Sara's boyfriend HAD to be acting. He was so smug and uncomfortable, and just didn't seem like his words were his. Maybe because no respectable person would have uttered those words in the first place. Sara should have broken up with him on the first date.