Type keyword(s) to search

The True Story of Theranos

• Start Topic

George Schultz was the most famous character established in episode three, but they also mentioned General Mattis, who would eventually join the board. I hope they do an episode about Elizabeth's efforts to ensnare the US military in her scam because it was the one institution who told her "no". Multiple times through multiple people.

Edited by xaxat
  • Useful 5
  • Love 2
On 3/11/2022 at 10:02 AM, xaxat said:

George Schultz was the most famous character established in episode three, but they also mentioned General Mattis, who would eventually join the board. I hope they do an episode about Elizabeth's efforts to ensnare the US military in her scam because it was the one institution who told her "no". Multiple times through multiple people.

The military were virtually the only potential investor who actually did their due dligence and investigated Theranos' claims and didn't accept the smoke and mirrors that Elizabeth was using to try to convince people that her idea was a viable, working piece of technology.  They saw the Emperor had no clothes and noped on outta there which was particularly interesting since people like Schultz and Mattis were involved.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2

I would highly recommend listening to the podcast "Bad Blood: The Final Chapter".  Episode 8 in particular "Tyler and George" where John Carryrou goes into detail at how George Schulz got duped by Elizabeth, and his theories on why.   There's also a great episode on the military where he interviews LTC Shoemaker (among others).   Of course, the actual book always prevails and I'm always gobsmacked at how many people are following this story without actually reading the source material!

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I just realized that she is pregnant again.  That sort of seems unfair to the children.  

She was pregnant with the first kid during the trial and with the second kid during sentencing. That's not a coincidence - I'm sure she timed the pregnancies to try and get more sympathy/leniency from the judge and jury. It will be a terrible realization for the kids once they're old enough to figure out that they only exist because their sociopath mother used them as props. 

BTW, I've also read that she got over 100 letters of support from high-profile individuals, including senator Cory Booker. It boggles my mind that, even after everything that's come to light about her actions, so many people are still doubling down on the stance that she just "made mistakes."

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

Oh, I agree that she deserves to do her time.  My point was that she proceeded to have children knowing she would not be around to raise them.  She didn’t care how it impacted the children to grow up without their mom.  Getting pregnant seemed strategic on her part.  I’m glad it didn’t work.  That woman is dangerous.  She directly and indirectly caused a lot of harm with her foolish and intentional fraud.  

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

She shouldn’t get any special favors because she’s pregnant, imo. NONE.

I guess imo that depends on what “special favors” means. I certainly don’t think it should factor into a shorter sentence or earlier parole. On the other hand, she definitely shouldn’t be denied prenatal care or be chained to the delivery table. And should get the same visitation privileges that other incarcerated parents would have. I’m generally a big fan of breastfeeding when possible and I think I’ve heard of programs where incarcerated mothers can keep their babies with them for some period of time, but I really don’t think that’s the main issue here. 

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

I guess imo that depends on what “special favors” means. I certainly don’t think it should factor into a shorter sentence or earlier parole. On the other hand, she definitely shouldn’t be denied prenatal care or be chained to the delivery table. And should get the same visitation privileges that other incarcerated parents would have. I’m generally a big fan of breastfeeding when possible and I think I’ve heard of programs where incarcerated mothers can keep their babies with them for some period of time, but I really don’t think that’s the main issue here. 

Healthcare is not a special favor. But 30 million Americans are uninsured and many more have unaffordable plans, so there’s that. At least everyone in prison gets care.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Like 1
On 11/19/2022 at 5:57 PM, SoMuchTV said:

she definitely shouldn’t be denied prenatal care or be chained to the delivery table.

Neither of those is going to happen.  She doesn't have to turn herself in until the end of April, presumably after the birth.

• Sad 1
  • Love 1
27 minutes ago, AstridM said:

Fuck her. That should get her more prison time. 

In the comments on that tweet it looks like her lawyer is arguing that it was a trip she had planned before the conviction to attend a friend's wedding, and that she canceled it after the conviction. Doesn't explain why it was a one-way ticket though.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Mind Blown 2

Even after being convicted, after being sentenced, she is still on the grift,

Holmes posted a $500,000 bond secured by her parents’ home, her motion said, and has been living on an estate in California with a reported monthly upkeep of more than $13,000, according to the prosecutors’ filing.. .

She justified her request for the expanded travel based on her partner’s work commitments, and also recorded his salary as $0 despite asserting “that her partner pays the monthly bills rather than her,” the prosecutors’ document said.

ETA, as John Carreyrou, the WSJ reporter who broke the original story, notes

Edited by xaxat
  • Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1

She justified her request for the expanded travel based on her partner’s work commitments, and also recorded his salary as $0 despite asserting “that her partner pays the monthly bills rather than her,” the prosecutors’ document said.

It's pretty common for cofounders in a startup not to draw salaries. I don't know if that's Billy's situation though. We do know that he comes from a rich family, so I'm sure he pays the bills from his trust fund.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:13 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

I just realized that she is pregnant again.  That sort of seems unfair to the children.  

https://people.com/crime/elizabeth-holmes-is-pregnant-with-her-second-baby-it-is-revealed-sentenced-to-11-years-in-jail/

The children have a father who is quite capable of taking care of them. The unfortunate thing for the kids is that have a sociopath for a mother. She deserved more prison time for what she and Sunny did. No sympathy for her at all and frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if she got pregnant so she would get some sympathy from the court and lessen her prison time.

On 2/27/2023 at 7:58 PM, BetterButter said:

On 12/9/2022 at 7:29 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

Neither of those is going to happen.  She doesn't have to turn herself in until the end of April, presumably after the birth.

She went to a similar prison that Martha Stewart went to...white collar crime. 

• Useful 1