Whimsy
  • Start Topic

image.png.dbad086b5a9c49df8ed74d69064a7756.png

From CBS.com

Karishma Patel

Biography

Hometown: Philadelphia
Current residence: Houston

Hobbies: Experimental cooking, hosting theme parties, and reading travel blogs.

Pet peeves: Party poopers, girls who play dumb for attention, when the tire hits the curb while parallel parking, mansplaining, passive aggressive behavior, and PDA.

Three words to describe you: Reliable, impulsive, and charismatic.

What accomplishment are you most proud of?
I've taken three state bar exams—Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and Texas—and passed them all on the first try.

Who or what is your inspiration in life?
My parents. They are the most devoted people I know. They have taught me that the key to happiness is to never forget to choose it for yourself. They came to America in the '70s with a dream and achieved it all with hard work and determination.

What's one thing we wouldn't know from seeing a photo of you?
I am terrified of alligators. (Just saying that word gave me chills...)

Which Survivor contestant are you most like?
Natalie Anderson because she wasn't afraid to speak her mind, but also made a lot of really subtle moves that kept her on top. Brown girl power!

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I feel like I was born to play this game. I've always craved challenges that help me learn more about myself, and I know deep down that I do have the physical, mental, and social skills to outlast, outwit, and outplay anyone. My job and my life experiences have trained me exactly how to win. I am hungry to be out in the wild, pushing myself to the edge, and doing things I never dreamed I could do. In the end, surviving this game means something more valuable than money to me.

Why do you think you'll "survive" Survivor?
I feel like I was born to play this game. I've always craved challenges that help me learn more about myself, and I know deep down that I do have the physical, mental, and social skills to outlast, outwit, and outplay anyone. 

Says the player who fails miserably in the challenges, is totally paranoid despite being in a solid alliance, has a defeatist "nobody likes me, I don't fit in" attitude, and is mortified about being in her underwear.   

I think she was born NOT to play Survivor.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
15 minutes ago, AZChristian said:

I just imagine her "personal injury lawyer" ads on TV now . . . with clips of her in her underwear on Survivor.  LOL.

Sign me up to have her represent me.  Or not.

I was picturing her talking to a client halfway through a trial, "We're gonna lose. I know it!  I think the judge and the jury hate me, because I'm Indian and an old geezer of 37."  

• LOL 7
  • Love 2

Every week there’s someone I went into the season with rooting for, only to end up wishing their torch got snuffed.  This week it was Karishma.  She’s getting into Noura territory.  Also, when she said she felt left out by the sorority of Missy/Chelsea/Elizabeth, she didn’t mention that Elaine was essentially in the same boat as her.  Yet we didn’t see Elaine complaining.  Probably because she’s got a better grasp on the game.

• Love 6
14 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

Every week there’s someone I went into the season with rooting for, only to end up wishing their torch got snuffed.  This week it was Karishma.  She’s getting into Noura territory.  Also, when she said she felt left out by the sorority of Missy/Chelsea/Elizabeth, she didn’t mention that Elaine was essentially in the same boat as her.  Yet we didn’t see Elaine complaining.  Probably because she’s got a better grasp on the game.

Good point.  I really don't see the other 4 women as some sort of homogeneous, restrictive sorority.  Elaine is a pudgy, factory worker, redneck, of humble upbringing, and 4 years older than Karishma.  Missy is black and a brain tumor survivor.  Maybe Chelsea and Elizabeth might fit the profile, but that is only 2 of 5 and the Elizabeth seems down to earth and we aren't even sure there really is a Chelsea yet.

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 2
  • Love 2

I just watched her intro video -- for someone who claims to be uncomfortable showing skin, that's a fair amount of cleavage and midriff on view.  Does Survivor also choose the contestants' promo attire?

Also:  her hair is gorgeous.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Special K said:

I just watched her intro video -- for someone who claims to be uncomfortable showing skin, that's a fair amount of cleavage and midriff on view.  Does Survivor also choose the contestants' promo attire?

Also:  her hair is gorgeous.

From what I understand, the producers make the clothing decisions for the contestants.  Previous castaways said that they are told to pack certain things (sometimes in particular colors to match their eventual tribe placement) and that before filming someone from production goes through their stuff and picks out what will be going to the island with them.  

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

From what I understand, the producers make the clothing decisions for the contestants.  Previous castaways said that they are told to pack certain things (sometimes in particular colors to match their eventual tribe placement) and that before filming someone from production goes through their stuff and picks out what will be going to the island with them.  

Yes, I have heard that -- but does that apply to the pre-show promo shots as well?  All those clothes seem more idiosyncratic and personal to me (and more to the point, reflect varying degrees of modesty). 

Remember one year when they were photographed for promo shots in bathing suits, and Debbie had that shark-maw swimsuit on?  That had to be her own item.  Also, aren't their Ponderosa/jury clothes their own?  My impression was that only the in-competition clothing was mandated by the producers.

8 minutes ago, Special K said:

Yes, I have heard that -- but does that apply to the pre-show promo shots as well?  All those clothes seem more idiosyncratic and personal to me (and more to the point, reflect varying degrees of modesty). 

Remember one year when they were photographed for promo shots in bathing suits, and Debbie had that shark-maw swimsuit on?  That had to be her own item.  Also, aren't their Ponderosa/jury clothes their own?  My impression was that only the in-competition clothing was mandated by the producers.

I believe it's for the promo shots, too.  I can see them picking that for Debbie or letting her wear it based on her personality 😉  In past Ponderosa videos, I've seen contestants either going through their luggage, or having luggage in the background of their room, so I think those are the clothes that didn't make it to the island with them, and that they can wear what they want in Ponderosa (not sure if their jury attire is picked for them, but I wouldn't be surprised).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

On the one hand, I have no complaints at all about her running in her underwear. 37 isn't old, but I would have guessed her to be ten years younger. But on the other hand: 

While I do understand in this particular context her point about chaos being useful... don't quote Littlefinger. His entire schtick was bragging about how devious he was, and how he was such an outsider that he had to be devious, while constantly backstabbing every potential ally in sight while bragging to everyone else about how shifty he was. In other words, the Russell Hantz strategy. Yeah, 'cause that always ends well.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

I don't get Karishma.  She doesn't seem to do anything but make herself more isolated from the group.  She apparently isn't helping around camp (according to Elizabeth anyway).  She cries about how she isn't being given a chance, yet it sounds like that's exactly what her tribe is trying to do for her.  She just sits back and seems to want the game played for her and it to be easy, but to take all the credit.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

I don't get Karishma.  She doesn't seem to do anything but make herself more isolated from the group.  She apparently isn't helping around camp (according to Elizabeth anyway).  She cries about how she isn't being given a chance, yet it sounds like that's exactly what her tribe is trying to do for her.  She just sits back and seems to want the game played for her and it to be easy, but to take all the credit.

Right?  When she cried in her talking head about not wanting to go home, I was like, "Really?  Because you seem absolutely miserable."

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

Simple: Karashima was raised a spoiled brat, and this kind of behavior has always gotten Karashima her way before - probably from her parents - so (in her mind) no reason why it wouldn’t work now.

Oh, but wait a minute....

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

On this week's Wiggle Room, they had one of my favorite Wandoffs ever, about Karishma. It starts at about the 45 minute mark.

To the tune of, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand"

"I Really Hurt My Hand"

Oh Lairo, won't you help me?

I'm bleeding in the sand!

Did you even notice?

I really hurt my hand!

I really hurt my ha-a-and

I really hurt my hand!

Oh ladies, my alliance

You left me all alone.

How can you keep on eating

when I can see my bone?

Yeah, I can see my bo-oh-one!

Yeah, I can see my bone!

For you, I ran around in my underwear.

But, if I chopped my head off, you

Wouldn't care!

Wouldn't care!

Wouldn't care!

Oh, Lairo, how I hate you!

And your sorority!

My hand's fine now, thanks for asking

But you're all dead to me!

Yeah, you're all dead to me-e-e!

Yeah, you're all dead to me!

Edited by Bryce Lynch
  • LOL 6
  • Love 3

I pretty much think Karishma & Noura will be dragged to the end. Although, Karishma still got some votes I don’t anyone is worried about her. They might be annoyed with her but game wise I don’t think they’re worried about her winning. 

• Love 1
51 minutes ago, Special K said:

They are looking like more viable winners each episode!

At FTC, Karishma or Noura would likely beat Dan, Elizabeth and Missy

The would lose to Janet. (But will Janet survive much longer?)

Against Dean, Aaron, Elaine, Lauren and Tommy it could go either way.   I think it depends upon how much stink those 5 have on them from the sexual harassment situation and how many people they stab in the to get to FTC.  

Dean knifed Kellee in the back, but did not appear to be in on the sexual harassment "move".

Lauren seemed to be in on Missy and Elizabeth's diabolical plot, but did not seem to directly participate. 

Elaine appears to have had some knowledge about what Missy and Elizabeth were doing and was the one who told Feely Dan about Janet and told him not to get "squirrelly" 

Aaron is unclear.  I think he was probably duped by Elizabeth and Missy, but he made the idiotic comment that it couldn't be true, because if it was, he would have known about it. 

Tommy is also unclear, but I haven't seen any direct evidence that he knew what Missy and Elizabeth were up to.   

Other than the fact that she's still there, I  don't admire much about Karishma. She's lazy and whiny and  far too proud of herself when she does make a little effort, but she is the fun part of  this season for me.  Watching the face of every other person there fall  when she played her idol was a moment I'll always remember. As the contestants become more and more game savvy,  I think the show should be sure to cast wildcards like Karishma to make every TC less predictable.

• Love 5
39 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

Other than the fact that she's still there, I  don't admire much about Karishma. She's lazy and whiny and  far too proud of herself when she does make a little effort, but she is the fun part of  this season for me.  Watching the face of every other person there fall  when she played her idol was a moment I'll always remember. As the contestants become more and more game savvy,  I think the show should be sure to cast wildcards like Karishma to make every TC less predictable.

I like Karishma, although it's more to the fact that I find pretty much everyone else hard to root for.   I like Elaine and Janet (although since the Dan incident, I feel like Janet is a former shell of herself where game play is concerned).  Dean and Noura are comedy gold, although I agree with others that Dean seems kind of skeevy, and I lost respect for Noura last night for taking Karishma's belongings and searching them.  I don't care if it's not against the rules, I still don't like it, or the people who do it.  So I'm not really rooting for them or liking them, just love to see what crazy thing they'll do or say next!

• Love 6

Although Karishma takes herself a bit too seriously, she certainly has more self awareness than Dean and I find her more likeable than Noura (A Noura would definitely drive me up the wall more than a Karishma).
At times she seems super poised and well spoken and probably like the survivor she imagined she'd be but at other times the cringe is strong with her comments and attitude. Overall it would be a pretty good story if she won this game but it's too much of a long shot. If only she had some chance at winning immunity. Although without Tommy and Noura there I actually think she might have a shot because she surprised me during a couple of challenges and the other players left are all pretty average to bad at challenges. Imagine Detective Dean 'let's split the vote' Kowalski rolling down his shirt sleeve after losing to Karishma and getting voted off after playing his real fake legacy advantage.

• Love 5

I feel sorry for Karishma, to a point.  I think she has had a hard time fitting in, and whether that's because she didn't try or people didn't try to get to know her, I don't know.  Given who she was on a tribe with in the beginning, I can believe it was probably both.  She mentioned not being comfortable with the girls swimming and exposing skin due to her culture, and compared them to a sorority (which I totally believe).  But I can also see where her woa-is-me attitude was off putting.  Was that a result of not feeling like she was a part of the group?  Maybe.  Maybe this was a lot harder than she expected from every stand point, and she didn't want to openly admit defeat.  I will give her credit for hanging in there.  And I do think she's been semi impressive in the individual challenges.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6

She is such a miserable nutcase that she actually makes Noura look sort of competent. I'd like to see her make final 4-ish, but I don't think I want to see her as an actual finalist. Watching the entire jury make her cry and consider suicide is not my idea of a fun time, but watching her stick around and annoy everybody for most the game, then get voted out, and then come back with a truly ridiculous jury question is kind of my idea of a fun time. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, CloudySky said:

Imagine Detective Dean 'let's split the vote' Kowalski rolling down his shirt sleeve after losing to Karishma and getting voted off after playing his real fake legacy advantage.

Now I'm really sad I won't actually get to see this happen.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Brookside said:

We're nearly at the end and I still don't know which one is Tommy and which one is Dean.

Tommy is the tall redheaded drink of water.  Early in the season I called him “Red Tom” to differentiate him from “old Tom”, the winner of this year’s Vladimir Putin Lookalike contest.

Edited by Nashville
Trimmed quote for relevance
  • LOL 1

Karishma, who is a natural beauty, was trying way too hard with her appearance at TC.  I mean, she looked like she was going to a nightclub or gala or something with that dress, jewelry, and makeup.  They're on a tropical island, fer chrissakes.

One shudders to think how she'll look at the reunion.

• Love 1

The women used to almost always overdo it with the makeup once they had the chance to wear some. One exception was in All Stars when Amber and Jenna went on an overnight reward and Amber did a nice subtle job and looked really pretty, but then the camera cut to Jenna looking like Baby Jane. They've been better about it in more recent seasons though, so maybe they took a lesson from watching years of reunion shows and seeing how awful the women looked.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2