Type keyword(s) to search

Kamala Korps: Ms. Marvel in the Media

• Start Topic

I don't think it was changed exactly, just added to.  Ms. was just Miss, so not married, but at some point Ms. came to be also Miz, which is more ambiguous.  I wanna say maybe the 60's, maybe 70's?  My brain wants to put the distinction with the rise of feminism and women not wanting to be defined by their marital status.  I also don't know if that's just an American thing or not.

It's been around longer than me, that's all I know.

the biggest news from episode 6 is addressed here:

“They sent me, and only me, the draft [of the final episode], and I immediately freaked out,” Vellani recalls. “I emailed Kevin Feige in all caps. I was like, are you doing this like for real? Are you sure? I'm so honored! I was like yelling at him through an email. I was freaking out. This is the biggest deal in the world, and the fact that it's happening in our show is crazy.”

• Like 1
  • Useful 2

Iman Vellani did an AMA on Reddit.

No lol after I said [199999 vs 616] on the ms marvel carpet, I saw Kevin the next day and he just stared at me from a far and gestured 6-1-6 with his fingers and walked away…I think about that every night before bed

On the acting of superpowers:

it is very embarrassing actually, ill paint the pic for ya:

uncomfy flashy supersuit, cant pee, cold Atlanta nights, bright lights, you must wear a giant sith lord esque cape to protect from the paps, you stick out like a sore thumb, you take off said cape, now ur cold and everyone is staring, you stand tall and suck in ur stomach, now purple led lights shine at you and you pretend this stuff is coming out of you but in reality it is dead silent and you are making weird grunting noises because what does "hard light" actually sound like?

But hey! im a superhero so that trumps everything :)

• Like 1
  • Love 3

She really knows her stuff -- comics, TV, and films. She just seems like such a great kid. That was an entertaining AMA, and you could see how much she was winning everyone over with her comments.

I liked this one. The last paragraph is adorable:

comparing me to rdj is the highest of compliments, so thank you for that!

- I recommend all of the 2014 run of MM I think its beautifully written, also the civil war II arc for kamala was quite compelling, seeing her choose between her idol and her avengers dad. as for other characters, I'm a huge silver surfer fan, one of my fav runs is during the infinity gauntlet crossover, jim starlin's #50 is sooooooo good, also that cover just makes me happy. also also obsessed with the 2017-2018 black bolt series called Home Free! christian ward and saladin Ahmed deliver such an incredibly nuanced and so emotionally complex story with art that is nothing short of phenomenal. i recommend this to anyone...you don't even have to be an inhuman fan to appreciate

- I would love to see a kamala/ wolverine dynamic in the MCU. also there is a really cool story where kamala fights the shocker and bruno ends up seeing all of her possible futures and that makes me really emotional every time I read it

- Don’t get me wrong I love the inhumans. Black bolt is my father. but I do think the mcu is in a very different place than the comics were and so we were actually able to go this way with Kamala and to be fair the original intent for the comic character WAS to make her a mutant so I am over the moon that this is real and we could make it happen. Sana Amanat and I were freaking out, every single brain cell exploded when we found out we can do this. I was literally refreshing the ep 6 discussion thread on here until someone finallyyyy mentioned it.

• Love 3

Did Ms. Marvel Survive Thanos' Snap? MCU Directors Respond (Exclusive)
By Richard Nebens  July 16, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/ms-marvel-thanos-snap-mcu 

In an exclusive interview with The Direct's Richard Nebens, Ms. Marvel directing team Bilall Fallah and Adil El Arbi addressed whether Kamala Khan or her family were victims of Thanos' Snap and The Blip during Avengers: Endgame.

The pair confirmed that the entire Khan family lived through the five-year Blip, but they also mentioned how they approached that theory with Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. When they asked Feige what happened in this time, Feige's normal response would be "Don't worry about it," having El Arbi and Fallah focus more on the story for Ms. Marvel and making that the best it could be:

“Well, I would assume that, seeing how the family dynamic is with them, I have a feeling that none of them got snapped. But whenever we ask Kevin about, ‘What about The Snap or The Blip? Do we reference it at all?’ He would say, ‘Don’t worry about it. Focus on the story, focus just on that, don’t ask too many questions about other movies, other shows and all that.’ That was sort of his mantra for Ms. Marvel.”

Marvel Studios’ Assembled: The Making of Ms. Marvel | Official Trailer | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment    Aug 3, 2022

What's Streaming on Hulu, ESPN+ and Disney+ in August
By Team TVLine / August 2 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/how-to-watch-hulu-plus-live-tv-disney-plus-espn-plus/ 

COMING UP ON DISNEY+
WEDNESDAY, AUG. 3
Marvel Studios Assembled: The Making of Ms. Marvel special (Disney+ Original)
Lightyear movie (streaming premiere)

Edited by tv echo

Designing Ms. Marvel for the MCU | Behind The Scenes
Marvel Entertainment    Aug 4, 2022

Do Avengers: Endgame's Time Travel Rules Sync Up With Ms. Marvel's? Here's What The Show's Head Writer Says
By Erik Swann published 9 days ago
https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/do-avengers-endgames-time-travel-rules-sync-up-with-ms-marvels-heres-what-the-shows-head-writer-says 

In Ms. Marvel, Kamala Khan was sent back in time to the 1940s amid the partition of India, where she encountered her great grandparents and a young version of her grandmother, Sana. Before this point, the show had established that Sana was separated from her father as they attempted to flee to Karachi and that she was led back to him by a trail of stars. Well, as viewers eventually learned, it was Kamala who created those stars, after being asked by her dying great grandmother to guide Sana. When I spoke with Bisha K. Ali, I asked whether that broke any of the MCU’s principles of time travel, and she believes that everything works: 

"Yes, we had the Avengers: Endgame [rules] that you can't go back in like a consequential [way]. … However between Endgame and [Ms. Marvel], another little show came through called Loki, which I was very much a part of figuring out how time could work. And I would say that I think it wouldn't have caused a Nexus event because of the inevitability of it. So it was a closed loop. That's what's up. … And it was also the fact that a Nexus event is caused by… You know what? I'm gonna get shouted out by someone, either by a fan or by Marvel. I can't tell which. But I will say this, that for me, it made perfect sense, and it fit into the logic of what was established in the TVA, which seemed like the ultimate ruling on time, I think."

Kevin Feige Wants to Prevent 1 Thing With Marvel VFX (Exclusive)
By Richard Nebens   Aug 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/kevin-feige-marvel-vfx-exclusive 

In an exclusive interview with The Direct's Richard Nebens, Ms. Marvel VFX Supervisor Kevin Yuille discussed Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige's involvement with the show's VFX department.

When asked if Feige offered any specific notes on Ms. Marvel's VFX work, Yuille confirmed that Feige and Victoria Alonso (Marvel Studios President of Physical and Post Production, Visual Effects, and Animation). In particular, Feige influenced the Veil in Ms. Marvel Episode 5, which was one of the many decisions made to help push the story forward:

“Yeah, [Kevin Feige] inserts his creative ideas into everything. It has to get through him, right? So, he and Victoria Alonso, they’re the masterminds of the MCU, so of course, there were definitely notes. I don’t want to get into specifics, but that definitely influenced the look of the Clandestine's Veil and some of the decisions in that scene in order to tell a story."
"A lot of it to him is motivated by the story and whether or not the visuals on the screen relay the story. There’s undeniable knowledge of what is going on in the scene. He doesn’t want ambiguity. He tends to go for a simpler solution — simpler not in terms of execution, nothing that we did was simple, but in terms of simplifying what’s needed to keep the story moving forward where there’s no confusion. So, yeah, he did that quite a bit…so no one is like ‘what just just happened?’”

Summer TV Winners & Losers: Epic Fantasy, Late-Night Diversity, Marvel, OMITB, The Boys, The Bear and More
By Team TVLine / September 5 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/summer-tv-winners-losers-best-worst-shows-decisions/

🤷🏻‍♀️ DRAW: Marvel
Ms. Marvel was a sheer delight, delivering a teen hero’s origin story while also sharing with viewers the richness of Muslim customs. And She-Hulk: Attorney at Law has ably served up the MCU’s first live-action comedy series. But both series launches have had loom over them the dark cloud that is Marvel’s alleged overworking of its visual effects houses, effectively tainting our enjoyment of these ambitious endeavors.

Marvel TV Shows, Ranked: WandaVision, She-Hulk, Ms. Marvel, Loki and Other MCU Fare
By Team TVLine / October 25 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-marvel-tv-shows-ranked-worst/ 

3  MS MARVEL
June 8 – July 13, 2022 | 6 episodes

THE HIGHS: Iman Vellani and Zenobia Shroff (as the titular Kamala Khan and her mom Muneeba). AvengerCon (we want to go to there). A hero who wants to be a hero! Weaving in the richness of Muslim culture, teaching people about Partition. The X-Men ’97 theme! The final kicker with Carol Danvers that teed up The Marvels.

THE LOWS: So-so CGI. The Red Dagger gang got done dirty.

TVLine reader polls: Season ranked #6 (out of 7 shows), Finale ranked #2

• Love 1

Every Marvel Cinematic Universe TV show, ranked
By Samantha Nelson, Tasha Robinson, and Zosha Millman  Updated Nov 25, 2022
https://www.polygon.com/tv/22561233/mcu-tv-shows-ranked-marvel-cinematic-universe

3. MS. MARVEL (2022)
In a world inundated with superhero properties (the 19 on this list are just a drop in the bucket of the broader slate), Ms. Marvel actually managed to make an origin story feel like a treat. Credit any number of creative choices, including the show’s vibrant, Into the Spider-Verse-esque visual identity, or the way it gives protagonist Kamala Khan an actual life beyond the bounds of superherodom. But some acclaim should certainly be reserved for Iman Vellani, the absolute star at the center of it all. She makes Kamala feel alive whether she’s staring down a big bad or a big crush.

In her hands, Ms. Marvel is the all-too-rare MCU property that feels like it has the engine to run for a while, even if it’s still sorting out how to handle Ms. Marvel’s villains or cultural identity. At six episodes, its weakest link (hopefully) is that it’s only just getting started. —Zosha Millman

• Love 1

From Marvel to Minions: Family Entertainment Pros Forge Year of Successful Storytelling
By Nick Clement, Sharareh Drury, Selome Hailu, Paula Hendrickson, Karen Idelson, Katie Reul, Michaela Zee    Dec 7, 2022
https://variety.com/lists/family-entertainment-impact-report-2022/ 

1  Bisha K. Ali
Creator
“Ms. Marvel”

Ali is the creative mind behind Disney+ series “Ms. Marvel,” which centers on Kamala Khan, a 16-year-old girl who struggles with fitting in until she gains superpowers via a magical bangle. Critically reviewed as one of the freshest additions to the MCU, stylistically and content-wise, Ali’s storytelling also offered an authentic take on Pakistani American culture. Ali says she hopes the series “opens the door a little wider for creatives to tell truthful stories whose authenticity is rooted in specificity, with the confidence of knowing that these kinds of stories have universal appeal to viewers of all backgrounds.” The series won the 2022 Harvey Award for adaptation from a comic book/graphic novel, and at the 47th Saturn Awards, the series was nominated for limited event series (streaming), and lead actor Iman Vellani won for performance by a younger actor (streaming). Looking towards the future of family entertainment, Ali would like to see creatives being able to “tell difficult, complicated stories that empower creatives from minority backgrounds, and grapple honestly with the issues of our time — even if via metaphor.”

2022 in Review: 25 of Our Favorite Scene Stealers From Wednesday, Abbott Elementary, She-Hulk and More
By Team TVLine / December 17 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/best-tv-supporting-characters-2022-wednesday-she-hulk-andor/best-tv-supporting-characters-2022-seema-and-just-like-that/ 

Nakia, Ms. Marvel
If Kamala’s no. 1 gal pal has a superpower, it’s her hustle. As played by Yasmeen Fletcher, Nakia brought her own modern flourishes to the series’ Muslim community, gamely campaigning to join the mosque board and make some changes. Nakia’s standout showcase was at the Eid festival, where she wheeled and dealed to get her campaign posters displayed, and also gave viewers the 411 on the mosque’s many cliques, including the Illumin-Aunties, the Pious Boys, the Sunday School Teachers and the Mini-Harmi Girls.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Ms. Marvel and Iman Vellani were both nominated for Critics Choice Super Awards...

Nominations Announced for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards honoring Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action Movies and Series
February 22, 2023
https://www.criticschoice.com/2023/02/22/nominations-announced-for-the-3rd-annual-critics-choice-super-awards-honoring-superhero-science-fiction-fantasy-horror-and-action-movies-and-series/

(Los Angeles, CA – February 22, 2023) – The Critics Choice Association (CCA) announced today the nominees for the 3rd Annual Critics Choice Super Awards, honoring the most popular, fan-obsessed genres across both television and movies, including Superhero, Science Fiction/Fantasy, Horror, and Action. Winners will be revealed via a special announcement on Thursday, March 16.
BEST SUPERHERO SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MADE-FOR-TV MOVIE*
The Boys 
Doom Patrol 
Ms. Marvel 
Peacemaker
She-Hulk: Attorney at Law 
Werewolf by Night   
BEST ACTRESS IN A SUPERHERO SERIES, LIMITED SERIES OR MADE-FOR-TV MOVIE*
Danielle Brooks – Peacemaker 
Michelle Gomez – Doom Patrol
Caity Lotz – Legends of Tomorrow
Tatiana Maslany – She-Hulk: Attorney at Law 
Erin Moriarty – The Boys 
Iman Vellani – Ms. Marvel 

Ms. Marvel got 1 nomination for Television Critics Association's annual TCA Awards...

TCA Awards Nominations: ‘Succession’, ‘The Bear’ & ‘The Last Of Us’ Lead; HBO/Max Laps Field With 20 Noms
By Rosy Cordero, Erik Pedersen    June 30, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/06/tca-awards-2023-nominations-1235428004/

Winners will get their hardware during the ceremony on Monday, August 7.
OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN FAMILY PROGRAMMING 
American Born Chinese – Disney+
High School Musical: The Musical: The Series – Disney+
Jane – Apple TV+
Love, Victor – Hulu
Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur – Disney Channel
Ms. Marvel – Disney+
Never Have I Ever – Netflix
Star Trek: Prodigy – Paramount+
The Mysterious Benedict Society – Disney+

(edited)

From the SDCC programming schedule (all times are PDT)...

https://comiccon2023.sched.com/event/1OWso/ms-marvel-and-the-power-of-representation 

Thursday, July 20 • 10:30am - 11:30am

Ms. Marvel and the Power of Representation
Superhero and science fiction stories have long inspired young adults to become scientists, engineers, and STEM professionals. But often the stories have lacked diversity and inclusion. Ms. Marvel makes strides toward showing representation. Show creators and scientists Ana Maria Porras, Ph.D., Chante Summers, Kay Savage, and Sydney Hamilton explore how Ms. Marvel could change the worldview and what’s possible for the next generation of scientists and engineers.

Edited by tv echo

The entirety of the "Ms. Marvel" TV Series will air on "The Wonderful World of Disney" on ABC on Saturday, August 5, 2023 starting at 8pm, airing the first 3 episodes. The last 3 episodes will air Saturday, August 12, 2023 starting at 8pm.

Ms. Marvel won a TCA Award...

‘Succession’ and ‘The Bear’ Dominate TCA Awards; Mel Brooks and ‘The Carol Burnett Show’ Honored (FULL WINNERS LIST)
By Michael Schneider   August 7, 2023
https://variety.com/2023/tv/awards/tca-awards-winners-2023-succession-the-bear-1235689790/ 

OUTSTANDING ACHIEVEMENT IN FAMILY PROGRAMMING (NEW CATEGORY FOR 2023)

WINNER: “Ms. Marvel” – Disney+
“American Born Chinese” – Disney+
“High School Musical: The Musical: The Series” – Disney+
“Jane” – Apple TV+
“Love, Victor” – Hulu
“Marvel’s Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur” – Disney Channel
“Never Have I Ever” – Netflix
“Star Trek: Prodigy” – Paramount+
“The Mysterious Benedict Society” – Disney+

Edited by tv echo
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1

Warning: article contains spoilers for The Marvels...

‘The Marvels’ Star Iman Vellani Talks That Final Scene and ‘Ms. Marvel’ Season 2
BY BRIAN DAVIDS   NOVEMBER 13, 2023
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-features/the-marvels-post-credit-scene-iman-vellani-1235645900/

We all loved when you took Kevin Feige to task over the MCU’s Earth-616 designation. Have you had the chance to give him a hard time about anything else since then?
I’m trying not to give him a hard time right now until I get [Ms. Marvel] season two, and then maybe I’ll email him another 72 questions. Yeah, I’m taking it easy. If he says the MCU is [Earth-] 616, I’ll let him believe that.

Are you optimistic about a Ms. Marvel season two?
I am patient, and honestly, I hope all the love that Kamala is getting from this movie inspires people to be more vocal about wanting a season two. I would absolutely love to continue this story, and Kamala and her entire community has so much story left to tell. I want to see Bruno [Matt Lintz] again. I want to see Nakia [Yasmeen Fletcher] again, and that’s just me. So it would be really amazing to have a season two, and there’s so many different directions we can go with it. 

Edited by tv echo

TV Academy Reveals Emmy Winners In Juried Categories For Animation, Costumes, Makeup, Hairstyling & More
By Erik Pedersen    December 6, 2023
https://deadline.com/2023/12/emmys-2024-juried-award-winners-1235654496/ 

The juried Emmy for Outstanding Motion Design, won by Disney+’s Ms. Marvel, will be given out on Night 1 of the Creative Arts ceremony, with the remainder to be awarded on Night 2.
Juried category entrants are screened by a panel of professionals in the appropriate peer groups (Animation, Costume Design, Emerging Media Programming, Hairstyling, Makeup and Motion Design) with the possibility of one, more than one or no entry awarded an Emmy. As a result, there are no nominees but instead, a one-step evaluation and voting procedure. Deliberations include open discussions of each entrant’s work with a thorough review of the merits of awarding the Emmy.

Edited by tv echo