Type keyword(s) to search

Kamala Korps: Ms. Marvel in the Media

• Start Topic

Ms. Marvel Star Shares Emotional Response to Series' First Trailer - With Iron Man's Nano Gauntlet

The Nano Gauntlet Vellani is homaging was used in Avengers: Endgame to allow the heroes some protection against the power of the Infinity Stones when using them to undo Thanos' actions from the previous film. In the end, however, the protection of the Nano Gauntlet proved to be very limited.

Does this mean that Ms. Marvel doesn't actually have any innate powers in the show?

New Ms. Marvel Photo Shows Her Official MCU Superhero Look
By Liam Crowley    March 28, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/ms-marvel-mcu-superhero-official-photo 

During a presentation in Thailand, Marvel Studios showcased its three 2022 streaming shows to audience members.
Oscar Isaac's Moon Knight, Iman Vellani's Ms. Marvel, and Tatiana Maslany's She-Hulk all highlighted their title cards, but only She-Hulk was without a promo image of its title character.

ms-marvel-presentation-1.jpg 

A recent issue of Empire featured an interview with Sana Amanat, one of Khan's co-creators. The article itself provides clarification on Ms. Marvel's new powers, saying, "Khan obtains her own cosmic superstrength and ability to manifest purple crystals via a pair of bangles."

(edited)

Ms. Marvel’s Powers Are ‘Not An Exact Translation’ From The Comics, Says Kevin Feige – Exclusive Image
By Ben Travis   May 9, 2022
https://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/ms-marvel-powers-not-exact-translation-from-comics-kevin-feige-exclusive/ 

Most notably, as fans may have spotted in the trailers, Khan’s power-set looks to be a little different here – rather than stretching and morphing her body (“Embiggen!”), Kamala seems to have purple cosmic powers in the show. And while on page she was an Inhuman, her powers activated by the Terrigen Mist, there’s a different plan afoot here. “We adapt the comics; it’s not an exact translation,” Kevin Feige tells Empire. “[Kamala] came about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity. She is now coming into a very specific time within the MCU continuity. And those two things didn’t match.” The new origins for Khan’s powers looks set to be part of the journey of the show. “What we will learn about where those powers come from, and how they come about, is specific to the MCU,” Feige teases. “You will see great comic splash panels in some of our action sequences. If you want big, giant hands and arms, well they’re here in spirit, if not in stretchy, plastic-type ways.”

And that exploration of Kamala’s powers looks set to continue through her upcoming adventures too. Next summer, she’ll be hanging out with Brie Larson’s Carol Danvers (Kamala’s personal hero) and Teyonah Parris’ Monica Rambeau in The Marvels, Nia DaCosta’s Captain Marvel sequel. “It taps into the future of her story as it connects to her other friends that she will meet in the upcoming film The Marvels,” confirms Feige. “She’s interested in knowing, ‘Great, does that mean I’m an Asgardian? Did I get hit with gamma rays?’ No, it’s seemingly none of those things. It goes to her own past and her heritage and lineage.”

ms-marvel-excl-kamala.jpg 

Edited by tv echo

What’s Coming To Disney+ In June 2022 (US)
May 23, 2022
https://whatsondisneyplus.com/whats-coming-to-disney-in-june-2022-us/

Wednesday – 1st June 2022
. . . 
A Fan’s Guide to Ms. Marvel
“A Fan’s Guide to Ms. Marvel” is a documentary short that gives you an exclusive look behind the groundbreaking original series, “Ms. Marvel”, from its comic book origins to its development and production as Marvel Studios’ next hit series on Disney+. It features interviews with its award winning filmmaking team and the show’s captivating star, newcomer Iman Vellani.
Wednesday – 8th June 2022
. . .
Ms Marvel – Episode 1
Marvel Studios’ “Ms. Marvel” is a new, original series that introduces Kamala Khan, a Muslim American teenager growing up in Jersey City. An avid gamer and a voracious fan-fiction scribe, Kamala is a Super Hero mega fan with an oversized imagination—particularly when it comes to Captain Marvel. Yet Kamala feels like she doesn’t fit in at school and sometimes even at home—that is, until she gets super powers like the heroes she’s always looked up to. Life gets better with super powers, right?
Wednesday – 15th June 2022
. . . 
Ms Marvel – Episode 2
No episode details have yet been provided
Wednesday 22nd June 2022
. . . 
Ms Marvel – Episode 3
Wednesday – 29th June 2022

Ms Marvel – Episode 4

(edited)

Media got advance screening of first two episodes of Ms. Marvel (ahead of premiere on June 8) - early reactions appear to be positive...

First 'Ms. Marvel' Social Reactions Call It Playful, Charming, and Extremely Relatable
BY MAGGIE BOCCELLA     MAY 25, 2022
https://collider.com/ms-marvel-reactions-is-it-good/

Disney+’s Ms. Marvel Reactions Are In, Here’s What People Are Saying About The MCU Origin Story
By Heidi Venable  May 25, 2022
https://www.cinemablend.com/superheroes/marvel-cinematic-universe/disneys-ms-marvel-reactions-are-in-heres-what-people-are-saying-about-the-mcu-origin-story

Edited by tv echo

(Iman Vellani)  Kamala Khan/Ms.Marvel

FT8NafWXwAESNIQ.jpg

(Mohan Kapoor)  Father Yusuf Khan

FT8NfeEXoAA3CRK.jpg

(Zenobia Shroff)  Mother Muneeba Khan

FT8Ne_iWQAYTQbn.jpg

(Saagar Shaikh)  Brother Amir Khan

FT8NdtxWUAE6vpm.jpg

(Travina Springer)  Amir's Fiancée Tyesha Hillman

FT8NePuXsAEcC44.jpg

(Matthew "Matt" Lintz)  best friend Bruno Carrelli

FT8Nb4pWQAYsk_A.jpg

(Yasmeen Fletcher) best friend Nakia Bahadir

FT8NbSLX0AAtXwR.jpg

(Rish Shah)   Kamran

FT8Nci9XsAA60SE.jpg

(Laurel Marsden)  Zoe Zimmer 

FT8NdDfWAAQkW2D.jpg

I don’t know if it’s legit, but the TV Calendar website has episode names for all six episodes.

Spoiler

Putok, Baktol, Anghit: The Many Facets of Kamala Khan

Power Play: The Diary of Kamala Khan

Ululations: The Islamic Faith of Kamala Khan

Hit and Crit: The Hidden Powers of Kamala Khan

The Browning of America: The Family of Kamala Khan

Me and Many More: The Marvelous Kamala Khan

Summer TV Shows We Can't Wait to See: Evil, Ms. Marvel, The Boys, Andor, Queer as Folk, Floor Is Lava and More
By Team TVLine / May 30 2022
https://tvline.com/lists/summer-tv-best-shows-2022/

SHE-HULK? Or... MS. MARVEL? (Disney+)
Sorry to be indecisive, but this is a coin toss. On the one hand, you have Emmy winner Tatiana Maslany hulking out in a self-described comedy. (And for the nitpickers, the so-so CGI that drew scoffs in the first trailer has already been upgraded.) On the other hand, we’ve actually seen episodes of Ms. Marvel starring Iman Vellani, and it is an absolute delight, plus it is known to feed into the Captain Marvel movie sequel. (Ms. Marvel premieres Wednesday, June 8; She-Hulk: Attorney at Law premieres Wednesday, Aug. 17)

(edited)

Discover Kamala Khan's Journey with 'A Fan Guide to Ms. Marvel' on Disney+
BY RACHEL PAIGE    June 1, 2022
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/fan-guide-to-ms-marvel-disney-plus 

Wondering how to fully prepare for the arrival of Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel on Disney+? If you're looking for a quick rundown of everything Kamala Khan, "A Fan's Guide to Ms. Marvel" is now available to stream on the platform! 

The documentary short gives viewers an exclusive look behind-the-scenes on the original series, from its comic book origins to its development and production. Featuring interviews with the creative team and cast, including star Iman Vellani — who once made her own Ms. Marvel costume!

Edited by tv echo

‘Ms. Marvel’ Star Iman Vellani on Playing Kamala Khan: “She Felt So Much Like Me”
BY REBECCA SUN    JUNE 1, 2022
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-features/iman-vellani-ms-marvel-kamala-khan-1235156656/

Such opportunities included a Ms. Marvel casting call, which Vellani’s aunt received through a WhatsApp group chat and forwarded to her comics-loving niece.

“I knew exactly which comic books they pulled the scenes from [for the audition sides],” says Vellani, who was nearly too intimidated to send in her self-tape, procrastinating until 3 a.m. the night it was due. “My 10-year-old self is going to hate me if I don’t do it,” she told herself. A week later, Vellani and her dad were in Marvel Studios’ L.A. offices for an audition. “I was fully nerding out in front of [co-president] Louis D’Esposito and [casting head] Sarah Finn,” she says. “I wanted to take full advantage of being there because I didn’t know if it was going to happen again.”

But it did — Vellani received the news she was cast on the last day of her senior year — leading to an even bigger fangirl moment. “My favorite people on the planet are Robert Downey Jr., Billy Joel and Kevin Feige,” she says. “The day [Feige] came to set, I fully froze. He was trying to talk to me, and I stared at him until he left, and then I went back to my trailer and cried the hardest I’ve ever cried before. That was the most cathartic feeling ever.”

Since then, Vellani has rubbed elbows with plenty of Avengers, including her co-stars in next year’s The Marvels. “Brie [Larson]’s held my hand throughout this process, Teyonah [Parris] has been so wonderful,” says Vellani. She’s also gotten guidance from Guardians of the Galaxy star Chris Pratt: “He made himself so available for any help I would need in the future, so I shot him an email asking about press and stuff and he sent me this juggernaut of an email with so much advice and what’s gotten him through this.”

• Love 1

Iman Vellani has started a media tour to promote the show: (spoilers for the interviews, not the show)

Spoiler
  • She got into the comics because of the MCU, at first to read Iron Man 
  • which led to Ironheart, which led to discovering Ms Marvel
  • She dressed up as Ms Marvel for Halloween one year long before she was cast for this
  • she’s been an MCU fan for a long time, with posters up in her room, so it’s surreal for her that now she actually knows some of the actors
  • she went to the same HS and drama program as Hayden Christensen
(edited)

Red carpet launch event yesterday (Marvel's twitter page contains many other video clips of this series' stars - not posted below)...

Ms. Marvel Clip - Big Hulk And Little Hulk (2022)
Superhero Society   Jun 2, 2022

Ms. Marvel Clip - Kamala Discovers Her Superpowers (2022)
Superhero Society   Jun 2, 2022

Edited by tv echo

Ms. Marvel Producer Reveals MCU Timeline Estimate, Years After Avengers: Endgame (Exclusive)
By Savannah Sanders  June 4, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/ms-marvel-mcu-timeline-avengers-endgame-years-exclusive

In an exclusive interview with The Direct, Ms. Marvel writer and producer Sana Amanat addressed where Kamala's origin tale falls on the timeline of the MCU, claiming it takes place roughly "one to two years" after Avengers: Endgame:

"So, I think right now, we haven't put an official number on how many years have gone by since Endgame. I cannot tell you off the top of my head because I would butcher it. I feel like it's one to two years [after Avengers: Endgame], something like that, but I don't actually remember [specifically]. But we do have that in our timeline."

Considering that the majority of Avengers: Endgame takes place in the year 2023 canonically in the MCU, this estimate sets Ms. Marvel in either 2024 or 2025.

At 2:42 in this video, there’s a still of the Ms Marvel costume Iman Vellani made years before ever even auditioning for the role, just because she loved the comics:

(I tried to find the original source interview because I think this is one of those aggregator type YouTube accounts that mashes up a few videos but I couldn’t.)

• Love 2

Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel Red Carpet | Best Moments!
Marvel Entertainment   Jun 7, 2022

Witness | Marvel Studios' Ms. Marvel | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Jun 7, 2022

Marvel Boss Kevin Feige Explains Why Phase 4 Projects Are So Different
By Klein Felt   June 6, 2022
https://thedirect.com/article/marvel-phase-4-kevin-feige-different 

The studio head then went on to speak directly to Ms. Marvel, saying "it's such a privilege" at Marvel being able to "[bring] new characters to the screen" like Kamala Kahn, instead of exclusively "telling reinterpretations of characters people have seen:"

"With Marvel, it's such a privilege, because not only are there reinterpretations every few years of existing wonderful characters, but every once in a while, and it does seem like every decade or so, there's a new character that comes around that catches the audiences' imagination. And this character clearly did that, and as I said to some people on the red carpet last night, almost from the first few issues, people started asking us in environments like this when we were promoting other things, 'When is Kamala Khan coming [to the MCU]? When is Ms. Marvel coming?' And so it always seemed inevitable, in a great way to be able to do it. When Disney+ came around, it really gave us the opportunity to do what we really wanted to do, which was tell her full story in six episodes, and then have her then transition into a feature. And as Sana [Amanat] said, I'm so proud of bringing new characters to the screen and not just telling reinterpretations of characters people have seen for decades and decades. And I think that's important. I want people who have never even considered watching a Marvel Studios production before to be excited and watch this show. And then go watch all the other ones!"

Interview with The Hollywood Reporter

In Endgame, Thor went off on a gamer named “NoobMaster69,’” so what if that was actually Kamala?

No, because the guy [D.C. Pierson’s Aaron] from the Apple Store in Captain America: The Winter Soldier ended up being Noobmaster in a little short film that they made. [Writer’s Note: In a cross-promotion between Xbox Game Pass and The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, Pierson reprised his role and admitted he’s the infamous gamer named NoobMaster69.]

Wow, you really do know your MCU stuff. 

(Vellani gives two thumbs-up.) 

I’m genuinely stunned right now. You blew me away with your knowledge.

(Laughs.) I have that effect on people.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Love 2

Seek | Marvel Studios’ Ms. Marvel | Disney+
Marvel Entertainment   Jun 8, 2022

Laura Karpman - Ms. Marvel Suite (From "Ms. Marvel"/Audio Only)
MarvelMusicVEVO   Jun 8, 2022

The 100 Best Shows on TV Right Now
TV Guide Editors   June 13, 2022
https://www.tvguide.com/news/features/100-best-tv-shows-right-now-2022/ 

88. Ms. Marvel (Disney+)
Where to watch:
Disney+

In the first episode of Ms. Marvel, the show's young heroine tells her best friend, "Let's be honest — it's not really the brown girls from Jersey City who save the world." In an age of wall-to-wall superhero stories written by and for adult men, Ms. Marvel is a comic book show that feels like it was actually written for kids like Kamala Khan. Iman Vellani plays the Avengers-obsessed teen who drifts through life with her head in the clouds. Her daydreams are cleverly animated as graffiti that dances across the walls, but when she discovers she possesses cosmic powers, her fantasies soon become reality. -Noelene Clark

‘Ms. Marvel’: Every Single Hidden Reference at AvengerCon
BY RACHEL PAIGE    JUNE 8, 2022
https://www.marvel.com/articles/tv-shows/ms-marvel-every-single-hidden-reference-easter-eggs-avengercon

• Love 1

Ms. Marvel Is The Least Watched MCU Disney+ Show

According to Samba TV, approximately 775,000 US households watched the premiere of Ms. Marvel within its first five days on Disney+. Loki was the highest, generating 2.5 million views, WandaVision with 1.6 million, and both The Falcon and the Winter Soldier and Moon Knight were watched by 1.8 million viewers in their first five days. 

Ms. Marvel was a big hit with Gen Z viewers as audience members 20 to 24 watched it at a higher rate than other MCU series. The show also drew a more diverse audience than the previous series with an increase in Black, Hispanic and Asian viewers.

• Useful 1

I'll be honest the trailer turned me off. It just seemed geared for a younger audience so I decided to pass.

I might watch it later but, right now I've got Stranger Things, Kenobi and The Boys to get through.  Oh and then Sandman starts in August...very busy summer.

22 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I'll be honest the trailer turned me off. It just seemed geared for a younger audience so I decided to pass.

I might watch it later but, right now I've got Stranger Things, Kenobi and The Boys to get through.  Oh and then Sandman starts in August...very busy summer.

It is about a teen but I wouldn't say it's geared for a younger audience. The high school stuff is kept to minimum.  I'm enjoying this more then Kenobi. 

• Love 2
On 6/21/2022 at 7:33 PM, Morrigan2575 said:

As someone who has watched every episode of every MCU Disney+ show so far, Ms Marvel is the best of them.  Every other series has had a kind of "saggy middle" around episodes 2-4.  Unless something drastically changes (and I don't think it will) nothing like that has happened here.  The acting, directing, cinematography, editing, fight choreography, dance choreography... all of it has been top-notch.

I've had to stop watching Obi-Wan Kenobi for now because this show made that one look so cheap, shoddy and amateurish by comparison.

• Love 1