Type keyword(s) to search

Kamala Korps: Ms. Marvel in the Media

• Start Topic

That looks... really good.  Extremely comic accurate too, except the color palate is tweaked/improved for real fabrics, and there's a little slit at the bottom of the tunic, and more gold piping on the sides, both which actually improve it. 

Other photos I found show the bottom, and that's pretty good too, with much more interesting footwear than the comics version. 

• Love 1

‘Ms. Marvel’ Series Completes Production in Thailand Despite COVID Resurgence (EXCLUSIVE)

Production has wrapped on “Ms. Marvel,” a Disney-Marvel series with a Muslim teen lead character and a significant Asian cast. Filming was relocated to Thailand after a stint in Georgia, U.S.

The six-part series features newcomer Iman Vellani as Kamala Khan, a New Jersey-raised teenager who discovers that she has special powers. The character arc has her finding out who she is and learning about relationships.

The Thai shoot, under the direction of two-time Oscar winner Obaid-Chinoy, spanned episodes four and five in their entirety. With Living Films as production services company, and Chris Lowenstein as line producer for Thailand, sets were constructed at the modern Studio Park facilities to the south east of Bangkok. Together, first and second units involved some 450 people.

Filming was able to continue through April and early May, despite a third wave resurgence of the coronavirus in Thailand that caused city and provincial governors to impose severe new restrictions and a near curfew in the evenings. The measures, in effect from April 19, 2021, have closed schools, restaurants, gyms, sports facilities and cinemas. They also specified that film and TV productions should be halted.

It is understood that “Ms. Marvel” was able to obtain a waiver and continue filming as it was already observing strict anti-virus protocols. Measures included closed sets, mandatory masks and face shields on set, virus testing twice per week, rigidly-separated transport, and controlled air systems.

The workflow in Thailand was also divided into three separate bubbles so that if an infection was found in one bubble, the entire show would not have to shut down, and production could continue at the remaining two.

(edited)

Ms. Marvel: The Cast And 6 Other Quick Things We Know About The Disney+ Series
PHILIP SLEDGE    JUL. 18. 2021
https://www.cinemablend.com/television/2570204/ms-marvel-the-cast-and-other-quick-things-we-know-about-the-disney-series

Subheadings:
Ms. Marvel Is Expected In Late 2021, But A Release Date Has Not Been Ironed Out
Iman Vellani Leads The Ms. Marvel Cast That Also Includes Aramis Knight And Matt Lintz
Ms. Marvel Will Follow Kamala Khan As She Goes From A Superhero-Obsessed Teenager To Being A Hero Herself
Loki Writer Bisha K. Ali Created Ms. Marvel And Serves As The Series Showrunner
Ms. Marvel Episodes Will Be Split Among Several Directors
Ms. Marvel Wrapped Production In May 2021
Ms. Marvel Will Set Up The MCU Phase 4 Film, The Marvels

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Victoria Alonso, Executive VP of Film Production at Marvel Studios, confirmed to Variety during the NALIP Media Summit that this series will be released before the end of 2021...

Marvel’s Victoria Alonso Teases ‘Mini Studio’ for Animation and Discusses Representation in Superhero Stories at NALIP Summit
By Ethan Shanfeld   July 20, 2021
https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/marvel-victoria-alonso-new-series-representation-1235023739/

Alonso also noted that there are “a few other shows” that will come out before the end of the year, including “Ms. Marvel” and “Hawkeye.”

Edited by tv echo

Matt's Inside Line: Scoop on Riverdale, #OneChicago, SEAL Team, Titans, Stargirl, Lucifer, Good Trouble and More!
By Matt Webb Mitovich / August 2 2021
https://tvline.com/2021/08/02/riverdale-spoilers-season-5-toni-musical-episode-pussycats/

Any news on Ms. Marvel‘s Disney+ premiere date? Only a week or two ago they were saying 2021, but now by my calculations (after the announcement of the Hawkeye premiere date) they don’t have enough weeks on the schedule without doubling up a couple of episodes. –Lee

I asked around and it is very safe to assume at this point that Ms. Marvel is now on track for an early 2022 premiere.

Edited by tv echo

The release date for tie-in Comic Book "Ms. Marvel: Beyond the Limit" that goes with the Disney+ TV series has been delayed. The 5 issue comic series by Samira Ahmed and Andrés Genolet that was originally scheduled for a September 15th debut, has been pushed back to a December 1st release. All 5 issues will be collected into a Graphic Novel tentatively set to be released on May 15, 2022. The story emphasizes South Asian food and cultural elements to create an incredibly dynamic world.

The greatest hero of the new generation returns in an all-new solo adventure! After an explosion of interdimensional proportions at her cousin’s lab, Kamala Khan suddenly has a doppelgänger to deal with! As Ms. Marvel, it’s her duty to help out the newcomer, but something doesn’t feel quite right. Kamala’s powers are on the fritz, and she suspects that this new hero-in-training isn’t trustworthy. And why has everything around her…turned into a Bollywood set?

Issue 1

While on a break visiting her cousin in Chicago, Kamala Khan stumbles upon a robbery at a university physics lab . . . and maybe sets off an explosion of interdimensional proportions in the process. Still, nothing she can’t handle. Or so she thinks, until she gets home and finds her whole world turned upside down . . .and into a Bollywood set?! Why is everyone she knows singing, and how can she make it stop?

large-3828151.jpg

Issue 2

Elephants and illusions and doppelgangers, oh my! Ms. Marvel punches her way out of the Bollywood bubble she landed in when she got home from Chicago. But things are not exactly normal, and she still has no idea what happened – or if it could happen again. What’s worse, it seems like she has a copycat lurking around Jersey City, and whoever they are, they’re ruining her good name. They’re escalating from snack thievery to scuffles with civilians, and wonky powers or no, Ms. Marvel has to find them. Fast.

Mockup of Issue 2

51d83irQ2iL.jpg

Some stuff from the Disney+ Day about “Ms. Marvel”.
FEAd6SRVcAYnblH?format=jpg&name=medium

In “Ms. Marvel,” Iman Vellani plays Kamala Khan aka Ms. Marvel, a a 16-year-old Muslim, Pakistani-American living in Jersey City, who is an aspiring artist, an avid gamer, a voracious fan-fiction scribe, and is a huge fan of the Avengers and idolizes Captain Marvel. 
ms-marvel-header.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=943

Kamala has always struggled to find her place in the world, until she gets super powers like the heroes she’s always looked up to.
The cast includes Zenobia Shroff and Mohan Kapur as Kamala’s parents Muneeba and Yusuf, as well as Aramis Knight, Rish Shah, Saagar Shaikh, and Matt Lintz. 
The series is directed by executive producers Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, and Meera Menon.
Executive Producer Bisha K. Ali is the head writer.

Iman-Vellani-in-Ms.-Marvel.jpg?q=50&fit=
ms-marvel-first-look.jpg?w=620

ms-marvel-captain-marvel-suit.jpg?q=50&f

ms-marvel-costume-tease.jpg?q=50&fit=cro

ms-marvel-kamala-khan-powers-teaser.jpg?

2 hours ago, starri said:

I wonder how she ends up a Carol fangirl in this universe, since she was away from Earth for 25 years, and even if Kamala wasn't Snapped, Captain Marvel appeared to spend her time elsewhere.

Well, we didn't see everything that Carol did during the 5-year gap. Maybe she visited Earth more often, and had a few public battles that made the news. Maybe footage from the battle with Thanos during Endgame leaked. Or maybe Carol saved Kamala's life at some point before the show starts. Who knows? I'm sure they'll explain it in the pilot.

48 minutes ago, The Crazed Spruce said:
3 hours ago, starri said:

I wonder how she ends up a Carol fangirl in this universe, since she was away from Earth for 25 years, and even if Kamala wasn't Snapped, Captain Marvel appeared to spend her time elsewhere.

Well, we didn't see everything that Carol did during the 5-year gap. Maybe she visited Earth more often, and had a few public battles that made the news. Maybe footage from the battle with Thanos during Endgame leaked. Or maybe Carol saved Kamala's life at some point before the show starts. Who knows? I'm sure they'll explain it in the pilot.

I think the "Marvels" movie has to come out before they can show the "Ms. Marvel" TV show. I think there will be plenty of interaction between the two in the movie that leads to Kamala's fangirl obsession.

Edit, I think I got that backwards, I think the TV show comes out before the movie. But they still have plenty of time to get Captain Marvel back to Earth and do some stuff before the TV show timeline takes place.

Edited by AnimeMania
3 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

Edit, I think I got that backwards, I think the TV show comes out before the movie. But they still have plenty of time to get Captain Marvel back to Earth and do some stuff before the TV show timeline takes place.

Yeah, Ms. Marvel is coming out summer of 2022 and The Marvels is out in February 2023. Hawkeye, No Way Home and Dr. Strange are the only things coming out before Ms. Marvel so I would be surprised if we see much of Carol before Ms. Marvel. I don’t think it’s necessary because what she did in Endgame is more than enough to earn her fans.  

On 11/27/2021 at 5:03 PM, AnimeMania said:

Leaked photo from the set of the Marvels movie.

The other person in that photo is the most interesting part and may be considered a spoiler since nothing about the plot is known yet. 

On 11/27/2021 at 8:03 PM, AnimeMania said:

Leaked photo from the set of the Marvels movie.

FFFxbSOXEAQuai9?format=jpg&name=large

The costume looks great in this.

Clearly part of the story arc is her going from a homemade costume to a professionally made one someone supplies.

On 11/30/2021 at 1:07 AM, Dani said:

The other person in that photo is the most interesting part and may be considered a spoiler since nothing about the plot is known yet. 

Yes, but someone who looks like that makes sense in Carol Danvers orbit.

Edited by SnarkShark
On 12/14/2021 at 8:56 PM, AnimeMania said:

People in the cast of Ms Marvel got matching tattoos when filming ended.

Strange since the majority of Muslims consider permanent tattoos to be haram (forbidden).

Maybe the observant cast members got henna.  Most successful tattoo artists learn to do those, for extra business.

A listing on the Marvel Studios Japan website suggests that Ms. Marvel could be released in the summer of 2022 on Disney+...

Official Marvel Site May Confirm Four Disney+ Shows in Summer 2022
By ADAM BARNHARDT - January 15, 2022
https://comicbook.com/marvel/news/marvel-site-confirms-four-shows-release-schedule-summer-2022/ 

The Iman Vellani-starring Ms. Marvel is then listed after Thor: Love and Thunder, but still holds a "Summer 2022" release time window, suggesting the series could release sometime in the dog days of summer around August or September. Secret Invasion is then listed prior to Black Panther: Wakanda Forever, which is due out in theaters this November.

Screen-Shot-2022-01-15-at-4.36.30-PM.png 

Edited by tv echo

Rumor: Ms. Marvel will air May 13

Supposed episode titles:

Spoiler

S01.E01: Kamala Khan: Embiggen
S01.E02: Lockin' Jaws
S01.E03: The Woman I Look Up To
S01.E04: New Kid on the Block
S01.E05: My Faith
S01.E06: Only Here to Save the World

• Love 1
On 2/7/2022 at 4:40 PM, AnimeMania said:

Ms Marvel looks like an electric rooster.

I can't remember where I heard it said that Marvel on Disney Plus has all been origin stories for new costumes. Maybe Kamala will level up to a proper superhero costume in the epilogue of this show's first season.

The power change is interesting but I'm looking at it in this trailer and going 'this looks similar to what happened to Monica in WandaVision' and I'm not all that angry about it simply because it seems to work with what they've laid down in the MCU at large. At least successfully... maybe this will be a way to introduce the concept of Inhumans better? I don't know. I doubt it even with the suggestion that

Spoiler

Lockjaw

might make an appearance. The situation around Kamala getting her powers was based on a really fucking awful thing that Black Bolt did in the mire of Inhumans vs X-Men and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day. And the Terrigen bomb wasn't even part of the I vs X shit... that was all part of Perlmutter's 'we're not going to write stories so Fox can make money so shit all over the X-men' nonsense.

Argh!

Anyway, the tone and mood of Kamala's story is all here and I am beyond down for it.

Still I'm curious about the hows... like I said, it reminds me of Monica's eyes in WandaVision and there's a part of me wondering. Kamala is definitely going to be showing up in Marvels. They've got her idolizing Captain Marvel already and bringing Monica in somehow... yes. All the yeses! I am swimming in a pool of yessery and it's delightful.

Can't wait.

9 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Still not a huge fan of the power change, but it looks like they've got the spirit of the original comic right, and that's the main thing. I'm in.

I am...not happy with it.  I get that the origin would need some tweaking given how we're trying to pretend Inhumans didn't happen.  But part of the first arc of the comic was Kamala using her new powers to look like Carol, and needing to embrace that she's awesome just for being herself.

Now, if they've kept an appearance by Brie a secret, on the other hand...

12 hours ago, The Crazed Spruce said:

Still not a huge fan of the power change, but it looks like they've got the spirit of the original comic right, and that's the main thing. I'm in.

The situation may be much more palatable once we take into account what the actual changes ARE, where they source from, and what they could mean long term.

Rather than toss Kamala something random, they're giving her specific powers, and a specific prop, already tied to the legacy of Captain Marvel.  

This is complicated to explain (although easy for them to implement) so bear with me.

Mar-Vell, the original, and other Kree, used power armbands called Nega Bands.  These tapped into power from The Negative Zone.  If you know The Fantastic Four comics well, they visit and tie-in to The Negative Zone too. I think in one movie adaptation they got their powers from The Negative Zone.  In the comics they didn't, but tons of their core stories happen there.  Anyway, the Kree Nega Bands mainly just make them strong, able to fly, and a few other powers.

One character who got Nega Bands was Mar-Vell's daughter, who was one of the later Captain Marvels for a bit.

In theory what Kamala has could be Nega Bands, because it ties so closely to Captain Marvel.  The problem?  The powers don't match.

But another character named Quasar existed at Marvel.  He wore something called Quantum Bands.  Guess what they did?  Exactly what we see Kamala do in the trailer.

Examine front AND back of these old Marvel trading cards:

34635b3c32b3a0a69d58d51c935d6cdb-800.jpg

Other than the powers and approximate appearance, these don't scream Captain Marvel.  Until... you learn that that same daughter of Mar-Vell, named Phyla-Vell, later took on the Quasar identity... and used the Quantum Bands.  For years in Marvel continuity.

And going forward there are a few routes.  If they want to link the Negative Zone again to Fantastic Four, introducing the concept of it now via Nega Bands makes sense.  So you just CALL them Nega Bands but give them the power set of Quantum Bands.

OR

You (loosely) tie everything to Ant-Man.  The MCU already has "Quantum Space" discussed and shown in the Ant-Man movies.  You can simply merge the idea of The Negative Zone AND Quantum Space and use that for future Fantastic Four adventures.  And you keep these bands Kamala has named Quantum Bands (or not named at all). 

I will add I also loved the clear links in that trailer to 1980s teen movies. A lot of Better Off Dead, in fact.

• Love 1