Type keyword(s) to search

The Princess Bride Mafia

• Start Topic

What would "still" even point to, though? "stationary" = stacey seems like (more than) a bit of a reach.  And if it's taken as an alcohol reference, who would that be?

I've been called a lot of things, but 'stationary'? Is not one of them.

I am a bit intrigued by the info @TMunz dug up. Also, I think I recognize the image in @TJtrack99 's avatar, but I'm having a bit of trouble placing it. You know. The image with fire, as in fire swamp?

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm pretty sure I know why the attack didn't go through.

1 to DL Athena (Drogo), 9 to RSVP "Yes" to the Toga Party

1 to DL TMunz (CuriousParker), 9 to join the block party

they’d become fashionable, all the rage even   (Hera= wife of Zeus/Athena's father)

Oh the men.  To gain one was effortless, for her at least.     (Toga= traditional Greek goddess fashion statement)

You ask me, the "he ra"/"to ga" thing is a bit of a stretch.

I think it falls perfectly in line with the way many of the clues have been given in the last 2 games, TCS.  I found Toga first, on D2- then went back to N1 and saw Hera... and I'm pretty dead-set that these are our clues.  (*I also found a pretty great one in the same format for the D1 story but since we only DL one person a Day, releasing that info does nothing but give the Villains someone specific to protect.)

I started the DL with great sadness because I have come to love the Lady Athena and we were great teammates in the Whedon game.  And I'm sorry I didn't thank you for the favor I didn't know about that you may or may not have done for me last Night.  :)  But I agree with Spruce that we have to DL someone toDay, and these are the only clues I feel strongly about right now. 

As far as what CP said she knows about TMunz, I think most of us are in the dark but always looking for a ray of light.  Care to share with us re: "the block party"? 

(edited)

I have no other reason to suspect her, but those Athena clues are pretty good. Not to throw a wrench into things, but what is this line about?

Just then mom opened the door and walked into the room, “Your father and I were thinking maybe it would do you good to go to camp, get some outdoor life and fresh air, what do you think?” she asked.

It's not from the movie, but is it in the book? (I found the script online here)

Edited by Jesse
  • Love 1
As far as what CP said she knows about TMunz, I think most of us are in the dark but always looking for a ray of light.  Care to share with us re: "the block party"? 

Well, I'm not sure that I'm allowed to and here's why.

Begin General Mafia Mode.

GOT Game:  Mods said.  You can NOT say who you are, only hint AND you can NOT say who someone else is, only hint.

Whedonverse Game:  All of the above goes out the window, since it was ok for Role names to be matched to Player names in the thread.  For instance, MarkHB came out and said he thought I was Paul Ballard.  Caprice hinted that she was Spike, but then somebody came back and matched Caprice's hint to Spike by spelling it out in the thread.

I do not want to break any rules by mistake.  If I break a rule, I want it to be on purpose!  I really don't understand exactly what is allowed to say outright and what is not.

Stacey has tried to explain it to me, but I still don't get it.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

End General Mafia Mod.

(edited)

I've been called a lot of things, but 'stationary'? Is not one of them.

I am a bit intrigued by the info @TMunz dug up. Also, I think I recognize the image in @TJtrack99 's avatar, but I'm having a bit of trouble placing it. You know. The image with fire, as in fire swamp?

Et tu, stacey? We mod together then you try to cast suspicion on me? Both Tim the Enchanter (from Monty Python and the Holy Grail) and The Fire Swamp are already well-known for their use of fire. And no clues would be pointing to me, as I'm a Hero.

I have no other reason to suspect her, but those Athena clues are pretty good. Not to throw a wrench into things, but what is this line about?

It's not from the movie, but is it in the book? (I found the script online here)

I was wondering the same thing. Perhaps the eel is a Villain and failed to make a kill (just like in the movie)? And my other thought is that something is up with the mother re-entering. Maybe she's a character too? Maybe sending The Grandson off to camp was this game's version of "killing" him, but she failed?

I find Drogo's clues plausible, but I'm unsure. And I'd like to hear more from CP.

ETA: Cross-posted with CP. I believe the general consensus is that you can hint and infer and imply all you like. You cannot copy-paste your PM into the thread to say "This PROVES I am Xander!" Others can "connect the dots", so to speak, but you can't do it for them. Make sense?

Edited by TJtrack99
  • Love 2
(edited)

'Just then mom opened the door and walked into the room, “Your father and I were thinking maybe it would do you good to go to camp, get some outdoor life and fresh air, what do you think?” she asked.'

The mom is threatening to take the boy out of the story.

(edited because your quote did not re-quote)

Edited by Oinky Boinky
  • Love 1

Whew! We all survived! Yay us!!! Sorry, I was out last night with an allergy attack. Back today at least for a bit (dentist appointment this afternoon).

I'm also thinking that the to/ga he/ra clues look like a good possibility but I'm also interested in what CP knows before committing to anything. I'm feeling a bit wishy washy at the moment. 

• Love 1

I keep thinking about: Rum BRANDY still

I read all of the definitions for still: calm quiet persisting liquor still

One definition - not effervescent ie not bubbly also leads us to liquor.

Racking my brain and the only player name to come close is Mark as in Maker's Mark.

Anyone any ideas on this liquor business?

• Love 1

Well, I'm not sure that I'm allowed to and here's why.

Begin General Mafia Mode.

GOT Game:  Mods said.  You can NOT say who you are, only hint AND you can NOT say who someone else is, only hint.

Whedonverse Game:  All of the above goes out the window, since it was ok for Role names to be matched to Player names in the thread.  For instance, MarkHB came out and said he thought I was Paul Ballard.  Caprice hinted that she was Spike, but then somebody came back and matched Caprice's hint to Spike by spelling it out in the thread.

I do not want to break any rules by mistake.  If I break a rule, I want it to be on purpose!  I really don't understand exactly what is allowed to say outright and what is not.

Stacey has tried to explain it to me, but I still don't get it.

Any help with this will be appreciated.

End General Mafia Mod.

A couple of things. First, it was discussed in the previous day but I didn't get the chance to chime in but the clue stylings in the GoT round were all mine. SS and BB may choose to utilize them, but I don't know if we can rely on that being a clue style in this round. Second, I have only played Mafia here and am also not entirely sure of how all the rules for hinting at one's role/other's roles should be handled which is why we said to not be explicit in the GoT round. That may not be how things are handled. Basically, don't take the GoT round as an example for anything because it's probably not accurate. 

If I'm correctly picking up what CP is putting down, someone got really lucky in the first night actions. I'm wary to trust anyone in the first couple of days of a round but I can easily be persuaded.

• Love 1

While the whole exchange with the mother is very weird, I don't think it means someone tried to kill the boy...  She couldn't have meant he was going to camp that day (and leaving the story) since he's still very sick. 

Personally, I think the Villains (& the eel) tried to kill Buttercup but failed.

(edited)
The clue is 'still'

can we add that to Rum and BRANDY and make something of it?

Racking my brain and the only player name to come close is Mark as in Maker's Mark.

Anyone any ideas on this liquor business?

I like the Rum Still and Brandy clue though Brandy was the exact quote from the movie, but still it would be a good to hide a clue in plain sight. I googled the people I am suspicious of and the people I don’t know and found nothing other than Makers Mark

Hera / toga

Mmmm That seems awfully weak to me, I bet I could find that connection in any of the hundred or so books or magazines that are in my sight right now. And why would we focus on Athena with that clue when we could also look at Calypso the nymph in Greek mythology? Whose name was also brought up in the facial gymnastics?

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

That seems awfully weak to me, I bet I could find that connection in any of the hundred or so books or magazines that are in my sight right now. And why would we focus on Athena with that clue when we could also look at Calypso the nymph in Greek mythology? Whose name was also brought up in the facial gymnastics?

You probably could, but finding those letters grouped together in a book or magazine is a lot different than finding it in a Story this size.  And two of them?  Back to back? And in phrases which sound like they were forced in?  Who says it was effortless "to gain" a man?  And a miracle man is "all the rage"? 

Hera was Athena's adoptive mother, they both lived at Mount Olympus with Zeus.  Calypso fits in with the toga clue, but not the Hera clue. 

If these are the clues, then the lip curl is not a clue because there was only one clue in that story.  FYI, I myself brought up Lady Calypso's name in the facial gymnastics conversation, but only to see if that's where Oinky was going with it because she brought up the clue but was keeping her suspicions to herself (which helps no one, of course.)  Oinky said she wasn't talking about LC, so that conversation was over. 

I've only played two games but I haven't seen a clue in plain sight yet.  I think these are our clues, Heroes.   

No, it isn't in the book. The Grandfather, The Mother and the Boy are constructs for the movie. The first chapter of the book is Goldman remembering his father reading the book to him as a child, finding the book for his son's birthday, then realizing that his father was seriously editing the book as he read it.

• Love 1
Calypso fits in with the toga clue, but not the Hera clue.

Unless both clues are there for pointing to Greek mythology in general, which would fit both Athena and Calypso. Maybe they're both villains.

• Love 1

Unless both clues are there for pointing to Greek mythology in general, which would fit both Athena and Calypso. Maybe they're both villains.

A definite possibility, HM.  Just let it be known I'm not clearing anyone, just pointing out why I started a DL on one and not the other despite their Greek mythology similarities.

Never appreciated for all that I do. *sigh*

The Greek stuff is getting a little too obvious though, no? This is why I don't play the blame-game. If we need to DL someone, I'd be more inclined to CP's idea.

• Love 1

Unfortunately I can't be inclined to CP's idea because she isn't sharing the reasoning behind it.  :( 

The Greek stuff is getting a little too obvious though, no?

Is it still obvious if the Greek stuff's embedded between words of the story, and it's closely-related words as opposed to your actual name? 

You know I like you Athena, but I don't like Villains in this game.  They're too short on charm. 

Well, I can say that I am a Hero. But I'm not sure how strong the Greek mythology clues are. Honestly, I do want to hear what CP has to say and as I make my way through the story to find clues (though I've always been horrible at it), maybe there will be something more substantial to bring up. 

Sorry if I haven't been much help, guys. I'm taking a couple of online courses for university this summer and I have two major assignments due on Sunday that I've been working on, so my mind has been on that for the past week or so. 

• Love 1

Okay, I definitely need one more story before I can think I'm half worth anything when it comes to even wondering, "Is that a clue?" Ladies, very nicely done.

• Love 1

Really? That's what you're going with now? A tenuous link to Billy Idol, going to Eyes

Without a Face, going to me? Me, with an actual face.

Incorrect, as aquarian's avatar is Marvin the Martian. The whole face is not visible, because he doesn't have one. His head is a black sphere with only two visible features; his eyes. So if the lip curl is supposed to lead down this path, he's literally the one who has eyes "without a face"

Or look into the people using the default avatar as they're totally "without a face". (OK, yes, the default avatar is a smiley face. But it's the default. It's not a unique "face" as we all had it when we first got here.). That would include caprice, Jesse, and Hanged Man.

Or slurring the curled lip to link to Lady Calypso as pointed out by Drogo above. (I know, that would require trusting Drogo first. I understand the difficulty there.)

The capitalized Rum is more interesting to me. I also noticed it right away. Merely spit-balling here, but rum makes me think of (dread) pirates, which leads to other sea-fairing folk, like naval captains. Which, by avatar, would then link to TMunz.

None of these are accusations of any kind (except maybe aqaurian and Oinky, for trying to deflect onto me.)

I'll say this now (and probably every damn time this game), I am a Hero. And a very important one. It would be very bad for the Heroes if I were to be eliminated. Dire consequences indeed.

If I'm correctly picking up what CP is putting down, someone got really lucky in the first night actions. I'm wary to trust anyone in the first couple of days of a round but I can easily be persuaded.

All right.  I have gotten a better idea of what is and is not allowed.

So here goes.  My original idea was based on the Billy Idol stuff.  I did think that A1 was more fitting of the clue than Bob because you can see Bob's nose.  HM brought up the Rum clue and Bob riffed on that to pirates to TMunz.  I noodled over that for a bit and thought I'd make a play and see where that lead me.

It lead me here.  Nobody died last night.  It may not have been me, BUT it may have been me.  If it was me, TMuz is a baddie.  Hence my starting a DL on him.  If you guys don't want to jump right on, I get that.  But I did want to make my suspicions known and I thought the DL ought to do it.

To all our past mods:  I was not complaining about how ya'll did stuff.  I was just confused and looking for understanding. 

To Everybody:  I love every single one of you!

Nobody died last night.  It may not have been me, BUT it may have been me.  If it was me, TMunz is a baddie.  Hence my starting a DL on him.

Point A) Her.

Point B) What may not have been you? 

Point C) this is all crap because I'm a hero. An extraordinary one.

I love you, too, CP, but you're very wrong in this. Focus your little gray cells on the real villains.

• Love 1

Sorry for being quiet today, there is a rib fest in the neighbouring town and me and the missus were sampling ribs, and beans, and slaw, and funnel cake, and corn bread, and lemonade.

Now I am sooooo sleeepy. Going back to re-read. See if food coma makes me more perceptive 

• Love 2

Point A) Her.

Point B) What may not have been you? 

Point C) this is all crap because I'm a hero. An extraordinary one.

I love you, too, CP, but you're very wrong in this. Focus your little gray cells on the real villains.

Looks like it's time to do a little investigating, then yes?  All hero investigators, check out TM & report back.

This is where we stand right now.

1 to DL Athena (Drogo), 9 to RSVP "Yes" to the Toga Party

1 to DL TMunz (CuriousParker), 9 to join the block party

(edited)

Here are my thoughts
1. DL’ing a hero is a free killing for the villains and in addition to being down a hero the heroes are down whatever power the DL character had, I would rather another day of accumulating clues and losing a hero at night than losing a hero to a bad DL and another at Night to the villain that is just math.
2. The Hera/Toga clue may be the clue, but I can see no distinction in the clue between Athena or Calypso
3. The Liqour Rum Brandy Makers Mark clue I think might be stronger

It lead me here.  Nobody died last night.  It may not have been me, BUT it may have been me.  If it was me, TMuz is a baddie.  Hence my starting a DL on him.  If you guys don't want to jump right on, I get that.  But I did want to make my suspicions known and I thought the DL ought to do it.

4. I don’t even know what this means.

So at this point my suspects in order of suspicousosity:
MarkHb
Lady Calypso
Athena
TMunz

However no argument is particularly strong right now. I am holding opinion and will chill until a good argument, or an overwhelming DL is underway, or the day ends. Yes it is fence sitting, but we aren’t down a hero yet, we are accumulating clues, thoughts and opinions, and I hate making mistakes
The way I see it the more dialogue, the more talking, the more participation, the better, because the only person that cannot lie are the posts of a corpse hero. When heroes start falling, their previous posts are gospel so it is advantageous for heroes to post often.

btw I am going to edit this for clarity and grammar

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

Here are my thoughts

1. DL’ing a hero is a free killing for the villains and in addition to being down a hero the heroes are down whatever power the DL character had, I would rather another day of accumulating clues and losing a hero at night than losing a hero to a bad DL and another at Night to the villain that is just math.

Really, really? the chance of ever killing a villain is 0% with no DL. The game is designed this way. It is why heroes outnumber villains by 3 or 4 to 1. It levels the field because we are blind for some time.

Also if there is a DL on a hero that also gives clues. You can't analyse voting patterns and who supports who IF NO ONE VOTES!

If you want to see serious facial gymnastics - my eyes rolled loudly reading your post.

Thank you for considering my liquor clue.

My issue with the Rum/brandy clue is that the "too slobbering drunk to buy brandy" is a direct quote from the film- and while it's weird that rum is capitalized, Maker's Mark is bourbon.  Which, as far as alcohol goes, is very different than rum.  

I agree that we have to try and DL a villain today.  I get that we didn't want to DL yesterday (I know I didn't) after one story, but now we have three.  Either the Villains tried to kill the wrong person last night and didn't get the result they wanted, or maybe our protector/s were just on point.  But let's do something.  

• Love 2

CP if your only reasoning for TMunz is that you believe he may have targeted you last night,I have to disagree. Doesn't make him a hero,your suggestion to investigate him is a good one.

If someone has better ideas please stop sitting on them.

2 to DL Athena (Drogo,Oinky Boinky), 8 to RSVP "Yes" to the Toga Party

1 to DL TMunz (CuriousParker), 8 to join the block party

• Love 1

Okay, with time running out, I'm going to go with my gut and the clue I pointed out earlier.

Captain Grumpy which is a very odd thing to write and out of the realm of the story, IMO, is referring to the ninth incarnation of Doctor Who. The number 9. TJTrack99. You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.

1 to DL TJTrack99 (TMunz), 8 to hand out iocane powder.

• Love 2

My issue with the Rum/brandy clue is that the "too slobbering drunk to buy brandy" is a direct quote from the film- and while it's weird that rum is capitalized, Maker's Mark is bourbon.  Which, as far as alcohol goes, is very different than rum.  

I agree that we have to try and DL a villain today.  I get that we didn't want to DL yesterday (I know I didn't) after one story, but now we have three.  Either the Villains tried to kill the wrong person last night and didn't get the result they wanted, or maybe our protector/s were just on point.  But let's do something.  

I agree with all of this. I was coming here to say something very similar about the Makers Mark thing but you've said it better than I have. Now that as I'm typing we have 3 options for a DL I am going to have to think a bit before voting because I was all for the Athena clues but now y'all have me thinking and I want to re-read some stuff before I vote! 

• Love 1

Captain Grumpy which is a very odd thing to write and out of the realm of the story, IMO, is referring to the ninth incarnation of Doctor Who.

The ninth incarnation of Doctor Who was played by Christopher Eccleston.  The War Doctor ("Captain Grumpy") was played by John Hurt.  

The Doctor Who Wiki doesn't list a number for Captain Grumpy:

Hurt's character is a "dark Doctor" existing between the Doctor's eighth and ninth incarnations.

*I guess that makes Captain Grumpy incarnation eight-and-a-half?    

The ninth incarnation of Doctor Who was played by Christopher Eccleston.  The War Doctor ("Captain Grumpy") was played by John Hurt.  

The Doctor Who Wiki doesn't list a number for Captain Grumpy:

*I guess that makes Captain Grumpy incarnation eight-and-a-half?

This is wordier! but basically what I was going to say.

Okay, with time running out, I'm going to go with my gut and the clue I pointed out earlier.

Captain Grumpy which is a very odd thing to write and out of the realm of the story, IMO, is referring to the ninth incarnation of Doctor Who. The number 9. TJTrack99. You seem a decent fellow, I hate to kill you.

I'm not convinced. I get who Athena is hinting at, so I'm not voting there. The War Doctor does not equal The Ninth Doctor, so I'm not joining that one. CP's explanation makes no sense at all.
  • Love 2
My issue with the Rum/brandy clue is that the "too slobbering drunk to buy brandy" is a direct quote from the film- and while it's weird that rum is capitalized, Maker's Mark is bourbon.  Which, as far as alcohol goes, is very different than rum.

Meh, shakey logic. That would be like me saying "and while it's weird that He ra is in the story, Athena isn't. Which as far as goddesses go, is very different from Hera."

Unless a name is clearly spelled out, and we have seen those, (though most of the time it is during the summary where people kick themselves for not seeing it during the game) all the clues are guesses. And then it is up to the peeps that make the most compelling arguments to sway enough people for a DL. And Villains are just as good at making compelling arguments as heroes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I am on the lookout for hath enamel and math enamel though ;)

LMFAO...  You're too much, HM.  You guys aren't making it easier on me because I would like to trust Athena.

But I read those stories so many times... and I mean I was looking for anagrams, first letters, last letters, forwards, backwards... When I finally got to the two-word hybrids, I felt like I struck gold with "toga" - but then "Hera" in the story before it?  Too coincidental to be ignored.  

Not that the other clues that have been pointed out aren't good or that I wouldn't get on board with one of them if I hadn't seen these, but I really feel like we got something.  

Edited by Drogo

Now I feel like TMunz is potentially shady, using Captain Grumpy to come up with TJ. Especially with that sailor hat (???) icon.

And it's 9 total for a DL, right? I fixed some math below.

2 to DL Athena (Drogo,Oinky Boinky), 7 to RSVP "Yes" to the Toga Party
2 to DL TMunz (CuriousParker, Jesse), 7 to join the block party

• Love 1

Now I feel like TMunz is potentially shady, using Captain Grumpy to come up with TJ. Especially with that sailor hat (???) icon.

And it's 9 total for a DL, right? I fixed some math below.

Actually it IS ten, there are 19 players. And I'll go along with TMunz being a bit shifty here...

3 to DL TMunz (CuriousParker, Jesse, stacey), 7 to join the block party

1 to DL TJTrack99 (TMunz), 9 to hand out iocane powder.

• Love 1
(edited)

You know, going back to the Rum, OB and HM... While Maker's Mark is clearly not rum, Captain Morgan's is- and one of the five top-selling rums worldwide.  

The "Captain Grumpy" scandal could have been an attempt to shift attention for that clue to someone else (TJ.)  I could be on board with this one, actually.

Edited by Drogo
(edited)

So here we go
Clues that have been sussed out by people of various levels of trustworthiness

Day 1 – 1 clue
Oinky Boinky:  Rum – Alcohol – Makers Mark = MarkHb
Stacey:  Fire Swamp – Fire – Tim the Enchanter = TJTrack99 avatar
Bob: Rum – pirates – Tmunz’s captain hat avatar - TMunz

Night 1 – 1 clue
Drogo: - the rage – hera = Athena 
TMunz: Captain Grumpy – Ninth Incarnation of  Dr Who – the number 9 = TJTrack99

Day 2 –  1 clue
Drogo:  To gain – To ga – Toga – Greek fashion = Athena
Oinky Boinky:  2 misuses of the word still – Alcohol – Makers Mark = Markhb

Other
Curious Parker: Tmunz may or may not have been stopped by CP doing something = TMunz
Jesse, Stacey: TMunz being shifty = Tmunz

Sorry for being quiet today, there is a rib fest in the neighbouring town and me and the missus were sampling ribs, and beans, and slaw, and funnel cake, and corn bread, and lemonade.

That sounds really delicious

my eyes rolled loudly reading your post.

Your eyes make noises when they roll?

Cool.

Captain Morgan's is- and one of the five top-selling rums worldwide.

Inexplicably

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1