Type keyword(s) to search

The Princess Bride Mafia

• Start Topic

Just don't kill me while I'm away an unable to defend myself.

How's that target feeling on your back right now, Bob? ;)

I KID, I KID! I did make sure to say "NO CLUE IN THIS POST" last game when my post included the word 'discombobulated', since I figured that would probably ensure your end...

• Love 2
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've grown accustomed to it.  I know there's a simple way to remove it; not to play.  But where's the fun in that?

I did make sure to say "NO CLUE IN THIS POST" last game when my post included the word 'discombobulated', since I figured that would probably ensure your end...

Great.  Now you've given everyone a clue to use against me in all future games...  Way to go there....  ;)

• Love 2
(edited)

I've grown accustomed to it.  I know there's a simple way to remove it; not to play.  But where's the fun in that?

Og8ZE.gif

ETA:  Today's King of TV Mountain is Monica's Turkey Head vs. Angel Dancing... Angel's jam is losing.  Get in there and represent, Whedonverse fans!  

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2

Day 1

As You Wish

On The Farm
“As you wish”… will he ever say anything else? Buttercup mused; she had never heard him utter another word. Since the time they’d first met, “As you wish” had always been his response. Now, then, yesterday, and most likely tomorrow, never changing, no matter her request or demand, always simply “As you wish”. The absurdity of it suddenly occurred to her, “Why would a person only ever speak the same 3 words to me? Maybe he’s a little simple?” she thought testily. “I may be a commoner, but he’s only a farm boy! He ought to have a smidgen of respect for me, enough to occasionally ask me how my day has been at least. Humph.” she grumbled irritably.
She sighed. He will likely never change, that farm boy.

Buttercup walked over to him, setting some buckets down at his feet.

“Farm boy, fill these with water… please,” she added.

“As you wish.” came the usual reply. tumblr_mwqrd37Yle1sfd4v7o1_500.gif

But this time, something stopped Buttercup in her tracks and she paused to consider him. The way he said it; so tender, so sweet, she took a moment to realize…. After all this time realization slowly dawned on her; he had in fact, been telling her that he loved her with those three simple words; using the guise of different actions to demonstrate the same devotion. Feeling strange, she knew she had stood there for far too long and with a startled look, turned on her heel and walked away.

So, he loved her.

She smiled. She may just love him back.

The next morning Buttercup was determined to discover whether what she’d felt yesterday was real or simply her imagination. Using yet another demand as an excuse she went to him, this time she looked directly into his sky blue eyes as she made her frivolous request. His response was the same as ever, yet this time quieter, more intimate, as he gazed back at her. He knew. She knew. This was true love and nothing would ever be the same again. Nothing could stand between their love in this moment. Except.

Money. It always comes down to money.

Her being a commoner and him a farm boy they had no money for a ring, much less a wedding. “This won’t do, I must venture off to find my fortune” Westley declared. With a heavy heart Buttercup kissed him goodbye holding him tightly in her embrace, she hated the fact that he had to leave her, but was aware that if they wanted a life together, there was little choice. “Know that I will always come for you,” Westley whispered softly in her ear.
“But how can you be sure?” she asked him.
“This is True Love. Do you think this happens every day?” he stated with simple conviction. tumblr_mczol9xweK1r0nubc.gif
Then he left her with his kiss upon her lips, Buttercup feared that the possibility of everything going according to plan was too good to be true, especially as he was only a farm boy with no real knowledge of the world.

And it was; too good to be true, that is…

Some weeks later Buttercup received news of Westley’s capture by the infamous Dread Pirate Roberts, who never took prisoners. Knowing he was dead, her world instantly came crashing down around her; in that moment she had no doubt she had died along with him. She buried herself in her room; never eating, never sleeping, as her life slowly ebbed away. Every night, she cried out, hoping it wasn’t true; that it was merely a nightmare from which she needed to wake. But in her heart she knew he was gone. As surely as she knew that her next words were also true, which she quietly declared to nobody in particular; “I will never love again.”

The Florin countryside
“Your Highness, your father is dying.”

Well, he knew that.

Prince Humperdinck couldn’t exactly say he was sad, although it was slightly troubling. He’d never known a life without his father. His father had kept him from the bother of having to marry any witch of a woman, but it did mean he would become the ruler of Florin, so the most he could say was that he was slightly disappointed at the prospect of the king’s imminent death.

Moreover, having been informed of this news whilst enjoying his daily horse ride through the hills, which thanks to this revelation had been completely ruined, he was also in a foul humor.

Shrugging at the Count, who had relayed the message, he simply thought to himself that there was no sense in crying over spilt milk.
“Do you honestly expect me to feel sadness over this? It’s not like-“ his lip curled at the fire swamp as they passed by. “It’s not like I’ll miss him. He’s had a good life, albeit a peaceful one.”
Rolling his eyes, the Count stared at the prince for a few seconds.
“You do realize what this means, yes?” he enquired.
Humperdinck sighed in defeat, he wished to avoid the subject but knew it was unavoidable, “Yes, yes, I have to wed if I want to become king” he retorted feeling his blood pressure rising.

However, a nasty little idea slowly began to take root in his wicked mind.

“Rugen what if...” the fire swamp bubbled ominously close to them.
“Yes Your Highness?”
“What if I didn’t have to stay married to whomever I wed?”
The Count, his brows wrinkled in confusion, enquired “And by that, what exactly do you mean?”
“We want a war, yes?”
“Yes?”
“So we take some common girl. No known face, no known name. Someone no one would miss. Declare her as my bride to be, get married, then on our wedding night… we kill her.”
Rugen’s eyes widened. “Your Hig-“
“I know what you’re thinking, but this is truly the answer to our problems. I’m too good!” He chortled. “Then we blame it on Guilder, and because she started out as ‘one of the little people’ - a commoner just like every other lowborn or worse in our kingdom – they will want justice, which in turn, will ignite their anger and thereby, solidify their loyalty to our cause. There’s no way this could go wrong!”
The Count agreed reluctantly, “What-ever you say, Your Highness.”
The Prince, smiling at his own cleverness, nodded. “Now, all we have to do is find the loveliest common girl in the kingdom, she must be fit the quintessential picture of an angel.”

The Thieves Forest
“So, what is it we’re doing again?”

Vizzini rolled his beady eyes. Giants were just as dumb as he’d suspected. He sighed and relayed the minimum he thought Fezzik would comprehend.
“We’re starting a war between Florin and Guilder. Got it now, you giant idiot?” he sneered at Fezzik.

The giant’s response was to simply shrug and wrinkle his nose but he said nothing more.

Inigo, witnessing this exchange furrowed his eyebrows. He didn’t necessarily like this plan, or what he knew of it at least. He’d only agreed to assist Vizzini in his latest scheme because thus far he’d failed at the only thing that really mattered to him – his lifelong quest to find and kill the six-fingered man. He’d sought solace from his failure in the bottom of Rum bottles, and lots of them; which proved to be an expensive habit, and the revenge business never paid well. Of late he’d spent most of his time in a drunken stupor until Vizzini, hearing of his peerless skills with a sword, had decided to sober him up. Vizzini hadn’t shown any interest in why he’d joined though, only about the war he planned to start.

They were currently walking in the most isolated part of the forest
“How are we going to do that?” Inigo decided to ask.
Vizzini said nothing, as was his way. He never told them where they were going or what they were doing. There was more going on than Vizzini was revealing, and neither the giant nor the Spaniard liked it. However, they both hoped that it would all go according to plan, whatever that was.
They walked a few more paces before Vizzini stopped and giddily cried out.

“There! There she is, the new princess on her high horse! Literally!” he turned around. “It’s show time, you two. Start looking lost!”

“I’ll distract her and then you grab her,” he snapped at Fezzik.

“Are you sure this can’t go wrong?” Inigo hesitated.

Vizzini scoffed back at him, “Inconceivable!

JRF85A7Bcl2YU.gif

Still Living Happily Ever After:
1. Oinky Boinky
2. Athena
3. Machiabelly
4. Lisin
5. The Crazed Spruce
6. stacey
7. Jesse
8. Drogo
9. Lady Calypso
10. TJtrack99
11. MarkHB
12. caprice
13. Hanged Man
14. SVNBob
15. Dougal
16. aquarian1
17. egavasc
18. CuriousParker
19. Tmunz

The Mostly ALL Dead:

There is one clue in the story.

You have 48hrs for discussion. If a minimum of 50% of the players have joined a lynch by the time that deadline arrives Day will be extended.

Good luck!

• Love 1

Giants were just as dumb as he’d suspected.

And this game is already way more fun than I expected.

Great Story and gifs, Mods.  There's tons of direct quotes and actual TPB in here, so for those of us obsessed with the film or who have recently watched it, it should be a little easier to pick out non-Story clues.  Unless of course there are anagrams, then you're on your own because I'm useless with those. 

Some of the phrases that stick out to me:

• picture of an angel
  • in her tracks
  • bubbled ominously
  • ebbed away
(edited)

I am guessing villains will be:

The prince

The count

Vizzini

The Albino

Yellin: Chief spy, head of the brute squad, and the guard at the gate with the key that he knew nothing about and then managed to find.

Perhaps Fezzik and Inigo are villains until Vizzini is dead?

Can anyone think of anymore?

*Edited during and after I was sussing out Yellin's name, and punctuation

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1
Perhaps Fezzik and Inigo are villains until Vezini is dead?

No way, HM.  Inigo and Fezzik are two of the three main heroes in the film. 

The soldier with oh-this-Gate-Key is named Yellin.  (Could be worse.. could have been named Smellin.)  Do we think he's consequential enough to be a character? 

Otherwise, I think your Villain list is pretty spot-on.  I might even toss the Impressive Clergyman on there; he was pretty unethical. 

(edited)

I might even toss the Impressive Clergyman on there; he was pretty unethical.

I will give you impressive clergymen as a villain, I contemplated adding him.

Do we think he's consequential enough to be a character?

Not including Savage and Falk there are only like 17 labeled roles in the movie. I expect Yellin to be a bad guy and there is also Assistant Brute who could be a bad guy.

No way, HM.  Inigo and Fezzik are two of the three main heroes in the film.

The thing is they were working for Vizzini and started out as villains, so IMO there should/must be some connection to them and Vizzini

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1
(edited)

Not including Savage and Falk there are only like 17 labeled roles in the movie. I expect Yellin to be a bad guy and there is also Assistant Brute who could be a bad guy.

I think Grandfather and Grandson are both characters in this game.  Ancient Boo-er, too.  SilverStormm loves her some Ancient Boo-er.

So as far as characters (suspected Villains in italics):

1. Westley
  2. Buttercup
  3. Grandson
  4. Grandfather
  5. Prince Humperdinck
  6. Count Rugen
  7. Inigo
  8. Fezzik
  9. Miracle Max
  10. Valerie
  11. King
  12. Queen
  13. Vizzini
  14. Yellin
  15. Albino
  16. Ancient Boo-er
  17. Impressive Clergyman
  18. Shrieking eel?
  19. ROUS?
Edited by Drogo

I think Grandfather and Grandson are both characters in this game.  Ancient Boo-er, too.  SilverStormm loves her some Ancient Boo-er.

So as far as characters (suspected Villains in italics):

1. Westley
  2. Buttercup
  3. Grandson
  4. Grandfather
  5. Prince Humperdinck
  6. Count Rugen
  7. Inigo
  8. Fezzik
  9. Miracle Max
  10. Valerie
  11. King
  12. Queen
  13. Yellin
  14. Albino
  15. Ancient Boo-er
  16. Impressive Clergyman
  17. Vizzini
  18. Shrieking eel?
  19. ROUS?

I added Vizzini and italicized the eel and ROUS because to me they'd be villains... or maybe SK's or something? But yeah, that list looks like what I'd include as the cast of characters. I'm not sure from a writing standpoint how Grandfather and Grandson are going to be included but that's part of the fun really! 

• Love 1

This odd phrasing..

his lip curled at the fire swamp

we have facial manoeuveurs variously as: brow wrinkling, eye widening, eye rolling and eyebrow furrowing and the lip curling. Only the lip curling is directed at an object - the fire swamp. The other motions are non directional.

The other odd thing is those other facial areas are all eye related and the lip is alone. The nose is doing nothing, nor the cheeks or jaw.

Are we being directed towards the fire swamp - hey pssst over here?

• Love 1
(edited)

8 is too many Villains/SKs for a group of 19.  I guess the Impressive Clergyman has the best chance at neutrality/goodness.

What if The Fire Swamp is the SK?   

light-bulb-idea-head-ampoule.jpg

Nope... got it.  THE MACHINE is either a Villain or our SK. 

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 2

I've only played 2, and both had a SK.  But it's not impossible we just have a crap-ton of Villains.  Probably not 8, though.  :)

his lip curled at the Fire Swamp

I've got a suspicion based on the facial gymnastics, but will keep it to myself for now.

Lady Calypso?

(edited)

ARRRRGGGG.

Everything is quiet here at work.  No phone calls, no clients dropping by, just quiet work to be done.  UNTIL... I flip over to PTV Mafia.  Then all the phone lines start ringing, clients dropping stuff off etc.  It finally settles down again, I swtich back to PTV and ARRRGGGG.

I have managed to at least get the story read and that's about it.  Frankly at this point, I'm not even sure what I read.  Inconceivable, I know.

Edited by Guest
Should Proofread Before Posting!

I just meant that an ROUS as a SK made sense to me when I was looking at the list, since it attacks anyone, not just us heroes. I've only played 4 games here, and I think (I haven't gone back to check and my memory is spotty) that there was a SK in at least 3 if not all 4.

I guess ultimately the clues should be the thing to talk out just this second though since guessing about if there is/isn't a SK doesn't really mean anything yet. I'm still re-reading to see if I see anything but I'm also swamped (hee, not fire swamped though) at work so I may not be back until this evening. 

• Love 1

I am sore all over and woke up with a migraine. On the plus side, I'm already highly amused by the conversation between Drogo and Hanged Man.

I'll read it again this afternoon to see if anything makes sense.

• Love 2
(edited)

Having GoT flashbacks, caprice

p.s.  Curled lip could have something to do with this guy--->

elvis-lip.jpg

From the Elvis Presley wiki:

Presley was born on January 8, 1935, in Tupelo, Mississippi, the son of Gladys Love (née Smith; April 25, 1912 – August 14, 1958) and Vernon Elvis Presley (April 10, 1916 – June 26, 1979),[8] in the two-room shotgun house built by Vernon's father in preparation for the child's birth. Jesse Garon Presley, his identical twin brother, was delivered stillborn 35 minutes before him.

There's also this guy who liked Elvis' lip curl quite a bit...

uncle-jesse-3.jpg

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 1
(edited)
There we go, Vizzini's #13 - BTW, I'm only half-joking about the shrieking eels and the ROUS's.

Why on Earth would you throw Vizzini into the middle of a pre-established list? A person without an agenda would just add him to the end of the list, or at most added him as the last person on the list not counting ROUSs or Shrieking Eels, like Lisin did.

You, sir, are subtly casting disparagements on whoever is numbered 13 on the list of players and I will not have it.

Edited by Hanged Man
  • Love 1

Oh HM, how I've missed you. 

FWIW, I threw Vizzini in right above Yellin and the Albino so I could group my suspects together.  Counting's not my forte.  And my character list and the player list are not meant to line up.  I only know who one player is anyway.  :)

Oh, Uncle Jesse... At least that one is better than the one from Dukes of Hazzard!  But no, I don't see how there would be a clue pointing at me. 

• Love 1

There are GIFs! Oh the GIFs! This is going to be fun!

I'm miserable at clue hunting so of course I haven't found anything yet but will keep looking. On the subject of SKs, they would make a game with this many players a bit shorter (more deaths per night) so I can see how with more players a SK would be beneficial. Not that last game has any sway over this game, but we had to activate the the SK in that round so it's not like there was a killer loose for the whole game. So it may be hard to tell if there is one or not until after the first night. Unless we get really lucky and off them by chance today! (Which could happen but seem unlikely).

• Love 1

All right.  I have read the story again.  And what you guys have mentioned.

I like the clue from OinkyB "his lip curled at the fire swamp".  However, I thought of Billy Idol's lip curl instead of Elvis'.  Billy has a song called "Eyes Without A Face".  

2 avatars have eyes with no face.  1) SVNBob & 2) Aquarian1

Please keep in mind.  I'm horrible with clues and this game in general.  Just throwing this out there for discussion.

If Elvis is evil we're screwed, because Elvis is everywhere.

Elvis is everything? Elvis is everybody?

With regard to the actual game... I'm still searching the story. 

• Love 1

Don't forget the peculiarly capitalized R in "Rum"

Leave it to you to notice that.

And weird phrase:

witch of a woman,

Trust me! it isn't that odd a phrase.

The soldier with oh-this-Gate-Key is named Yellin.  (Could be worse.. could have been named Smellin.)  Do we think he's consequential enough to be a character?

He's a larger character in the book (yes, it is a must-read), but I think we shouldn't rule him out here. Besides, he's funny.

Nope... got it.  THE MACHINE is either a Villain or our SK.

Hey, if THE FRIGGING BUS can be a character....

If Elvis is evil we're screwed, because Elvis is everywhere.

Elvis has left the building.

Okay, I still haven't seen anything.

• Love 1

Or Billy Idol -> White Wedding -> virgin -> Athena?

Billy Idol to me. That's a new one!

I'm always horrible with clues so this is not my bag, but I'll read between the lines.

I sure don't like that Prince Humperdink.

• Love 1
(edited)

I sure don't like that Prince Humperdink.

tumblr_m7iyhopQfY1qdmk7to1_400.gif

♫ Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink, Humperdink!!!!! ♫

I left my name off the list because I'm a hero. :)

Oh good!  Then let's leave mine off because I'm a hero, too.  And it's about time!    

If you're not a hero, you're a zero.  

Edited by Drogo
  • Love 1

All right.  I have read the story again.  And what you guys have mentioned.

I like the clue from OinkyB "his lip curled at the fire swamp".  However, I thought of Billy Idol's lip curl instead of Elvis'.  Billy has a song called "Eyes Without A Face".  

2 avatars have eyes with no face.  1) SVNBob & 2) Aquarian1

Bingo! CP. I looked at Aquarian1 and altho there is no mouth the whole face is visible and it may just not be emphasized. I was definitely thinking SVNBob all eyes and cut off just before the mouth starts.

• Love 2

Really?  That's what you're going with now?  A tenuous link to Billy Idol, going to Eyes

Without a Face, going to me?  Me, with an actual face.

I looked at Aquarian1 and altho there is no mouth the whole face is visible and it may just not be emphasized.

Incorrect, as aquarian's avatar is Marvin the Martian.  The whole face is not visible, because he doesn't have one.  His head is a black sphere with only two visible features; his eyes.  So if the lip curl is supposed to lead down this path, he's literally the one who has eyes "without a face"

Or look into the people using the default avatar as they're totally "without a face".  (OK, yes, the default avatar is a smiley face.  But it's the default.  It's not a unique "face" as we all had it when we first got here.).  That would include caprice, Jesse, and Hanged Man.

Or slurring the curled lip to link to Lady Calypso as pointed out by Drogo above.  (I know, that would require trusting Drogo first.  I understand the difficulty there.)

The capitalized Rum is more interesting to me.  I also noticed it right away.  Merely spit-balling here, but rum makes me think of (dread) pirates, which leads to other sea-fairing folk, like naval captains.  Which, by avatar, would then link to TMunz.

None of these are accusations of any kind (except maybe aqaurian and Oinky, for trying to deflect onto me.)

I'll say this now (and probably every damn time this game), I am a Hero.  And a very important one.  It would be very bad for the Heroes if I were to be eliminated.  Dire consequences indeed.

• Love 2
(edited)

Or slurring the curled lip to link to Lady Calypso as pointed out by Drogo above.  (I know, that would require trusting Drogo first.  I understand the difficulty there.)

Why so difficult? 

Everyone realizes I'm not Glory anymore, right?

Edited by Drogo
(edited)

I'll say this now (and probably every damn time this game), I am a Hero.  And a very important one.  It would be very bad for the Heroes if I were to be eliminated.  Dire consequences indeed.

Wow - if I was hoping to strike a nerve...

Wow - no way would I declare myself to be a 'very important' hero this early in the game. It puts a huge target on your back. There is only one way you can make that claim and not be immediately NK'd.

Pretty sure by the end of the first night I will have my answer.

I am going back over the last game and review everyone who made hero claims and what in fact they were. I know I have never seen someone make a 'very important' hero claim on day one. Not here, not anywhere.

Edited by Oinky Boinky
  • Love 1

CP and Bob.. I didn't even kill either of you!  And CP it bugs me that you said you're not good at this game, you were one of only 2 heroes left at the end.

Keep in mind I like to play in-character, so while Glorificus was a lot of fun - it'll be a different song and dance this time around. :-D  

FWIW, I'm very trustworthy.  

I don't really have too much to add, other than to say that I've been quoting this movie IRL after my viewing on Saturday. Since stacey and I used a variety of types of clues, I'm hesitant to say anything looks clue-like so far. The sentence that most stood out to me was "However, a nasty little idea slowly began to take root in his wicked mind."

I also have to say, I hope the Grandfather and Grandson are NOT characters, as I don't want to think about what will happen to the story if one of them dies...

• Love 2

Just popping by on my way out.

I know there's still lots of time, so this is not an official vote. But y'all can list me as part of a No Lynch vote if/when one starts.

• Love 1