Type keyword(s) to search

L&O: CI Actors in Other Roles

2 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Yes, but it's not till next winter I don't think.

Saw a comment about it. Someone claims to have read the book this was based on. They said the FBI guy in the book is 30s/40s. Noth is great, but he looks...distinguished, shall we say. Still looking great at 60+, but I don't think, based on what I'd seen from Good Wife stills, that he can play a drastically younger guy now. But hey, playing a cop for so many years, at least that should come naturally.

EGOT actress Rita Moreno [Frances Goren] is part of the updated version of One Day At A Time on Netflix as the mother of the lead actress playing the mom of two kids. Apparently, unlike the original, she lives with her daughter and grandkids.

Channel surfing led me to watch 2011's Kill the Irishman on Starz, where Vincent D'Onofrio plays John Nardi, a Cleveland mobster. He was in reasonably good shape for this, albeit a bit jowly. And in an odd bit of symmetry, Paul Sorvino is in it as well, portraying Tony Salerno.

On 3/18/2017 at 1:06 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Channel surfing led me to watch 2011's Kill the Irishman on Starz, where Vincent D'Onofrio plays John Nardi, a Cleveland mobster. He was in reasonably good shape for this, albeit a bit jowly. And in an odd bit of symmetry, Paul Sorvino is in it as well, portraying Tony Salerno.

A 2 for 1, L&O franchise sighting! That should get bonus points or something.  :-)  

This film apparently did not get a lot of distribution, but apparently back in the mid '90s, around 1996, VDO did a movie with Gregory Hines called Good Luck. He played a former NFL player who ended up losing his sight after a game-related injury and Hines played a former dental student who was paralyzed after an accident, and they want to enter a white-water rafting race. The description isn't much, but it was a really charming movie! 

So check it out if you're so inclined. Joe Thiessman, former football player, appears in it as does James Earl Jones, too.

3 hours ago, Maherjunkie said:

Pay careful attention to the furniture throwing scene.  Look downward at the pants.

Awesome scene!!!  :-P But it did crack me up that folks just stood there in awe and even applauded while Tony had his meltdown!

6 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Vincent D'Onofrio is in Rings, the sequel to The Ring. He plays a blind caretaker at the graveyard Samara's body was moved from. Dude gets around.

I guess the man likes to work.  :-)

(edited)

Kathryn Erbe is currently airing on a Blue Bloods repeat on ION right now. ETA: Also noticed some of CI's old staff are on this show. Recognized Siobhan Byrne O'Connor, a producer, and director Alex Chapple.

From one NYC cop show to another...

Edited by WendyCR72
13 hours ago, Sigmagirl said:

John Heard, who played the governor's hapless brother-in-law Larry Wiegert in "The Pardoner's Tale," has died at 72. 

"We're all disappointed in Larry."

Yes! I was just coming to post that. Once I saw his face, it immediately clicked. I never knew he was once involved with Melissa Leo (who would appear as the murderous, jealous bio-mother of Gaby Hoffman's character in Season 4's "The Good Child"). He and Leo also shared a kid together.

Very prolific résumé for a "Hey, it's that guy!" actor. May Mr. Heard RIP.

• Love 1

I finally binge-watched Stranger Things and loved David Harbour as Police Chief Jim Hopper.  He was so memorable as the antique silver thief in Silver Lining and the creepy Christian father in Family Values.

Also, took me a while to figure out VDO was in Magnificent Seven.  His accent is very different, with a high pitch to his voice.  

On 11/7/2017 at 8:38 PM, lilwhitelion said:

I finally binge-watched Stranger Things and loved David Harbour as Police Chief Jim Hopper.  He was so memorable as the antique silver thief in Silver Lining and the creepy Christian father in Family Values.

Ironically, his latter role as creepy religious nut father is being shown on ION in the middle of the night at 2:00 a.m. And, yeah, David Harbour was scary there. Funny how the actress, Susan Misner, that played his wife was also in two prior CI episodes.

As Becky the Hooker in S1's "Smothered" and as Sister Olivia/Angie DeMarco in "Acts of Contrition" in S5. So "Family Values" had a twofer as far as returning actors went.

The second record by Slim Bone Head Volt, Vincent D'onofrio's collaboration with musician Dana Lyn, has just been released.  They played a show at Joe's Pub in New York to celebrate - no video up yet, but there is plenty on Youtube of earlier appearances.  Here's a zippy number from the second record.  Declamations NSFW.

• Love 1
On 5/6/2018 at 11:58 AM, Totale said:

The second record by Slim Bone Head Volt, Vincent D'onofrio's collaboration with musician Dana Lyn, has just been released.  They played a show at Joe's Pub in New York to celebrate - no video up yet, but there is plenty on Youtube of earlier appearances.  Here's a zippy number from the second record.  Declamations NSFW.

I saw a picture he took with fans on Twitter, thanking everyone for coming. This side project isn't my thing, but VDO apparently enjoys it, and he's good to and appreciative of said fans, so it's all good.

He was also at an event for homeless dogs he and his wife are heavily involved in. One picture of him on Twitter was holding a small dog/puppy. Which only made me like him more.  :-) (And it looks like his hair is starting to grow back in again. He just finished up filming S3 of Daredevil.)

Apropos of nothing, and not sure where to place this musing, so I'll just put it here: My cable airing is showing the second eCI episode of three on WE ("Flipped"), yet I have Sling TV on my phone - and it usually shows the same episode. For some reason, though, it is showing the episode that just ended on cable, "Albatross", and is an hour behind. Huh!

So...the rapper murder or the Congresswoman trying to off the cheating hubby...  :-P

• Love 1

Albatross>Flipped IMO. Flipped was chock full of the odd camera angles and generally weird style of season 6, the storyline was boring, unoriginal and predictable with no real twists or a satisfying resolution, and Ross was an epic douchebag in that one, although he usually was.

Albatross was interesting, the plot about the judge being killed during a re-enactment of the Burr/Hamilton duel was cool and there were some twists and memorable characters, not as good as most seasons 1-5 episodes but It had the vintage CI feel to it. 

This discussion should be in the season 6 thread.

On 5/30/2018 at 10:02 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Albatross>Flipped IMO. Flipped was chock full of the odd camera angles and generally weird style of season 6, the storyline was boring, unoriginal and predictable with no real twists or a satisfying resolution, and Ross was an epic douchebag in that one, although he usually was.

Albatross was interesting, the plot about the judge being killed during a re-enactment of the Burr/Hamilton duel was cool and there were some twists and memorable characters, not as good as most seasons 1-5 episodes but It had the vintage CI feel to it. 

This discussion should be in the season 6 thread.

Yeah, for the record, went with "Albatross", but watched "Flipped" during commercials.  :-P

• Love 1

I know the franchise had actors that appeared on each one of the shows, but I must have forgotten that the actress that played Phyllis Van Acker in the S1 episode, "Smothered" actually played a lawyer on the Mothership! I had the Mothership on TV and I heard her rather distinctive voice, and it was her. She did a pretty good job there, even if her character lost.  :-P

Huh. Watching the Mothership on WE, and apparently I never have seen this very late episode from S19, "Illegitimate". It was a hoot seeing two CI criminal actors here. One, Kathleen Chalfant, who was Lois Van Acker all the way back in "Smothered" in S1, played a judge giving Rubirosa a hard time. Even as the judge, she seemed to have the upper crust accent. Must just be the way she speaks.

The other was Christopher McDonald, who played Evan Korman in S10, in "Icarus" Here, he played the possible illegitimate son of JFK. (Which made this case sort of weird to me!)

On a side note, I never knew Rue McLanahan was ever on the franchise, so it was a surprise to see her play McDonald's character's mother. (She seemed to, once again, be using a Southern accent a la Blanche Deveraux.)