Type keyword(s) to search

L&O: CI Actors in Other Roles

So it was said in the Daredevil forum that the woman who was the first murder victim, the grandmother in the Stephen Colbert CI episode, plays Fisk's mom. Pretty cool.

Also while Bobby and Fisk share the same physicality due to VDO in both roles and both have mother issues, as much as I love Goren, I do think Fisk would easily outwit Bobby both physically and in terms of the psychological mind games.

Fisk is a monster, no doubt. Yet his backstory made me sympathize with him, too.

Saw while browsing Amazon Video that Julianne Nicholson is now in a TV series called "The Red Road". Before then, I had never heard of it, but I guess it's on Sundance, so that would explain it. (I don't get the channel.)

Wow, I was not watching this thread, I had no idea VDO is getting so busy!  Great news. I  will  have to check out the Netflix series though I agree that I hope he will get to play a more sympathetic character at some point. 

I kind of doubt Vincent looks to play "bad guys" but I think he's seen as a character actor, so perhaps that explains some of it.

I came here to mention that I saw Eric Bogosian playing a major role in last night's episode of Elementary and he was quite good. Now there's a show I would love to see Vincent guest on!

Edited by roseha

It looks interesting.  I got the impression she plays a hippy-dippy type.

A hippy? Hmm. Maybe I'll check an episode out, just out of curiosity!

And @roseha, yeah, VDO plays a really awful villain, but even as Fisk, you see why he turned out as he did. Maybe playing the bad guy is more fun! As for VDO on Elementary, I'm not against it, but Goren was basically a modern Sherlock Holmes to Eames' Watson on CI, anyway.

This is likely well known now, but if you (universally, assuming anyone is reading) like the franchise and want to see the usual good guys as criminals, check out Oz, the series about life in prison that aired on HBO.  Between the behind the scenes names I recognize and actors like Chris Meloni, J.K. Simmons, Rita Moreno, and Kathryn Erbe, it seemed like a L&O testing ground for cast and crew.

Both Meloni and Erbe's characters were inmates there. Moreno plays a nun who reaches out to the prisoners. LOL!

I couldn't handle it.  WEll written but too violent.

Yeah, I admit it, it is very violent. But I'm guessing it's true to life in prison. Erbe's character was clearly modeled after Susan Smith.

I guess theater is truly the "in" thing now. :-) I'm curious as to how Chris Noth will do as I can't recall ever reading him having done it before. Sounds like an interesting concept.

As for Wolf as the devil, NBC just picked up Chicago Med today (of which S. Epatha Merkerson is involved with!), so I guess NBC really has sold its collective soul to him in the name of ratings! :-P

Oh honey no!  BW is his life' s blood.  He was in That Championship Season, among others.

I honestly never knew that about Chris Noth! Who says this forum isn't educational?  ;-)

There's a little indie movie VDO made with Marissa Tomei called Happy Accidents if you're looking for some light quirky romantic fare. (VDO's character Sam claims he is a time traveler from the future.) As I said, it's quirky. But with VDO involved, could be be anything else?  :-)

grrrr....

Chris to song "Womanizer".

Grrrr, you say?  :-P

At least folks are doing music videos using him. Just stare at the video and forget the context, maybe?  :-)

According to this site (and VDO posted a link to it on his FB page, so the news must be legit), VDO will be appearing in a CHiPs movie based on the TV series, of all things as well as "one of the heroic gunslingers" (per said site) in a remake of The Magnificent Seven. So I guess he is keeping busy enough!

Men in Black was the very first time I ever saw VDO. He was frightening, but you could tell he was talented. I remember when I heard about CI, I was like "Wait, the creepy alien from Men in Black?!"

Anybody seen Jurassic World? How was he?

• Love 1

Men in Black was the very first time I ever saw VDO. He was frightening, but you could tell he was talented. I remember when I heard about CI, I was like "Wait, the creepy alien from Men in Black?!"

Anybody seen Jurassic World? How was he?

Haven't seen Jurassic World yet, but it is a huge smash at the box office!

I was puttering around YouTube as I sometimes do, and was watching more of Homicide: Life On The Street. Anyway, I came across another S6 episode, the episode right after VDO's ("The Subway"), and who is in that but Kathryn Erbe. The episode's called "All Is Bright" (S6, E8) and she plays a woman named Rita Hale who was given AIDS by her lover (who failed to tell her he was infected). So, yeah, not a happy episode here, either, but she was good in the role.

ETA: The uploader has closed their account. Darn. But if you can ever find a way to see this (is HLOTS at iTunes?), do so.  :-)

• Love 1

Ouch. I guess theater critics can be as harsh as their movie critic counterparts! Eh, critics always hate almost anything, anyway. Still, good for Chris Noth for going back to the theater and branching out. I wonder what's next for him theater-wise? I can't think of whom I'd like him to play next. Any ideas?

Making shows out of TV series seems to be hot now: I wonder if there will ever be an L&O/L&O franchise show?  :-P  (I kid! Mostly...)  If there ever is, Noth, of course, would be a natural.  :-)

Born Yesterday.  Under the Yum Yum tree.

Recognize the titles, not their plots. Guess I'll Google! I guess one has to have a thick skin in the entertainment field, no matter if it's theater, movies, or TV. Still, it must shake one's confidence when critics pick at you.

On a side note - don't hit me, Maherjunkie - that pic for the review isn't his best. I guess I'm just not a fan of a mustache on any guy. Find Chris a razor, stat!

As for Noth's former on-screen partner, it looks like Julianne Nicholson will be job hunting. The series she was in, The Red Road,  has been cancelled.

I wonder how long this theater run is, since I assume Chris will be back on The Good Wife in the Fall. Then again, he's not a full-time cast member on that, right? (I think he's recurring. But maybe I'm wrong? I don't watch the show.)

Supposed to end in July.

Ah. So he will probably go straight back to filming The Good Wife from the play (as shows usually begin taping for next season in the summer.) That is, if his Peter is needed.

I was puttering around YouTube as I sometimes do, and was watching more of Homicide: Life On The Street. Anyway, I came across another S6 episode, the episode right after VDO's ("The Subway"), and who is in that but Kathryn Erbe. The episode's called "All Is Bright" (S6, E8) and she plays a woman named Rita Hale who was given AIDS by her lover (who failed to tell her he was infected). So, yeah, not a happy episode here, either, but she was good in the role.

Wow, Kathryn Erbe's ep sounds similar to a classic from the Mothership, featuring the immortal Briscoe line-reading (of the perp, when caught in-flagrante): "Hey no baby, I don't use condoms, it's better bare-back."

Now I can't remember if Men in Black or Homicide was the first time I saw VDO (IMDB says they were both 1997). Man, VDO was good in that Homicide ep. So heartbreaking.

Wow, Kathryn Erbe's ep sounds similar to a classic from the Mothership, featuring the immortal Briscoe line-reading (of the perp, when caught in-flagrante): "Hey no baby, I don't use condoms, it's better bare-back."

Now I can't remember if Men in Black or Homicide was the first time I saw VDO (IMDB says they were both 1997). Man, VDO was good in that Homicide ep. So heartbreaking.

Oh, "The Subway" was art. I mean, when you even had a BTS special on its creation and a Peabody, you know it's good. Poor John Lange. VDO knocked that out of the park. And opposite Andre Braugher...yeah, it still gives me chills.

Kathryn Erbe, though, I think she did very well, too, for what she got. (I do recall the L&O episode with the same theme, by the way. God, Lennie rocked. And Jerry Orbach is still missed...) Rita, unlike Alex, just seemed so...beaten down by life and her fate. (The makeup job with the sores added to the tragedy...) I liked her little speech, along the lines of "People with little education, who don't read Time Magazine, they read how a bottle of bleach can wipe out the virus...and they end up in the emergency room, sick as dogs..." I really felt for her, even when

we find out it's how she killed her ex. Knocked him down and poured bleach down his throat. Makes her line, "Phillip Longley murdered me; I murdered Phillip Longley..." that much sadder and ironic.

I think her episode never had the same "wow" factor as VDO's since "The Subway" was basically that one story with singular focus, and "All Is Bright" had Munch and his quirky ex-wife and Christmas stuff, etc. And I don't think anything really could hope to touch "The Subway" for its sadness and intensity. That one was just haunting, when it came down to it. But you still might want to check Erbe's episode out. I got a kick out of the irony of her episode airing a mere week after VDO's (per the episode guide). How prescient. S6 clearly was a downer for HLOTS. :-P

As for Men In Black, I've never seen it. Based on some of the pictures, I'm not sure I'd ever want to. LOL! I bet VDO had a blast playing a human masking a dangerous alien, though. A serio-comic take on V, maybe.

• Love 1

For 5 minutes.

Did he ever say what season or episode? Funny how so many L&O actors were on HLOTS and Oz.

Last night during one of the "Month of Zen" Daily Show episodes from 2000, Chris Meloni was on and recounting an early casting coup by making The Equalizer. Unfortunately, in the end his character had to wear a ski mask and they dubbed his voice, ha ha. I assume he was being truthful, though it would be fun to find the episode and find out for sure.

Now that is just stupid. His own voice would have worked and CM easily played menacing while on Oz.

VDO was in two Equalizer episodes as a mob guy and a mentally-disabled man accused of murder way back when.

• Love 1

Wow, thanks, @Maherjunkie! Considering how young Chris looked here - and playing Logan! - it looked like earlier '90s than later. Very cool. I had forgotten L&O/HLOTS did its fair share of crossovers.

I see there was the requisite "my city beats your city" chatter going on.  :-P

Yeah, they make Logan seem like a rube.

But that wasn't the only time, right? I mean, Exiled made him and the rest of the crew at the 27th look like dicks or outright dirty (sigh, Profaci), so... And that was after the way he left the Mothership. I did wonder if anyone on the HLOTS writing staff ever wrote for L&O or researched the characters (and vice versa) given all the crossovers, because yeah, Logan looked like an outright jerk there.

At least I don't recall Logan looking all that awful on CI, unless I forgot something. But Deakins and the others seemed okay with him. He clashed a bit more with Ross, though.

I meant I would think he would know who Dorothy Parker is.

Ah. Yeah, maybe. HLOTS did make him look dim, but then, I always envisioned Logan more interested in sports and women, you know?  :-)  And, no, it isn't meant as a knock on him. He just seemed like your average guy. 

And I always got the sense Mike was a bit of a player (before S4 of CI, anyway!). Maybe his mama turned him off of settling down after all of the stories his own cop father [and Logan himself] endured with her.

I guess crazy moms was a popular trope, huh?

This is likely well known now, but if you (universally, assuming anyone is reading) like the franchise and want to see the usual good guys as criminals, check out Oz, the series about life in prison that aired on HBO.  Between the behind the scenes names I recognize and actors like Chris Meloni, J.K. Simmons, Rita Moreno, and Kathryn Erbe, it seemed like a L&O testing ground for cast and crew.

Both Meloni and Erbe's characters were inmates there. Moreno plays a nun who reaches out to the prisoners. LOL!

Yes, I remember one of the people involved in L&O, possibly Wolf himself was involved with the behind the scenes of Oz and that was how so many Oz actors wound up on the show. I remember the years spent wondering if they would cast the actor who played Beecher on SVU so he could interact with Meloni again. It was understandably years later but it happened and it was awesome.

CN was on Homicide?

The reason most people don't remember CN on Homicide is because of the crossover. One episode was on L&O and the other on HLOTS. While L&O is on practically 24 hours a day(I kid you not, the mothership alone airs on four different channels at different times of the day in NY alone, SVU airs on three channels, CI never gets the respect it deserves), HLOTS is barely shown, which is a shame because as much as I love The Wire, I still think HLOTS is the best cop show I've ever seen. So you get the L&O part but never the other half of the show. The only time I ever saw both aired as it should have been was the brief moment TNT aired HLOTS.

CI never gets the respect it deserves

It may not be as prevalent as SVU or the Mothership, but it does air in blocks on USA 3 to 4 times a week in the very late night/early morning hours (and will again on Sunday morning - if you DVR - from 3 a.m. to 6 a.m.), and is on MyNetwork on Tuesday nights from 8 to 10 p.m. ET (until the fall; The Closer is taking over), and ION is set to resume its marathons starting on the 24th, so you just have to keep an eye out!

Oddly, it does very well in the syndicated ratings, even besting SVU, which shocks me. Although I have no clue how those ratings are compiled.

As for Chris Noth on HLOTS, @Maherjunkie was kind enough to post video after I asked, although the HLOTS writers did seem to write Logan as a bit ignorant and arrogant. Oh, well. As for Oz, I really get a kick out of seeing those actors usually playing the detectives getting to be so awful. I bet it was fun for Meloni, Erbe, etc., though!

Also, back to HLOTS for a sec: As I had said, both VDO and KE were also featured in respective back-to-back episodes in S6. How prescient! VDO in the stellar "The Subway" and KE in "All Is Bright", the following episode.