Type keyword(s) to search

L&O: CI Actors in Other Roles

But you're not biased AT ALL, right, GHScorpiosRule?  ;-) Hee. I think BizBuzz as the mod needs to pass out drool bibs and boxing gloves (for the fights over the guys) before people can read this forum!

• Love 1
Did you folks see this article?

Vincent in a movie about the Elks.

And then in a series on Netflix - Daredevil?

Yummy Vincent on the screen, will my heart stop pounding?

Down, girl!  :-) (Like I should talk! LOL!)

• Love 1

Oh my ... you two are too much!  ::giggle::

It's really quite cool how busy Vincent is staying these days.  I got scared for him for awhile.  But he is pulling himself up by his bootstraps and carrying on!

Some news about The Judge, which looks like an amazing cast.  In addition to Vincent, I love me some Robert Downey Jr and Robert Duvall. 

• Love 1

Okay, so like, who's the HEAD Mod of this thread heyah? Biz o' Wendykins?

This inquiring mind wants tae ken!

We could tell you, but then we'd have to keeeel you!  :-P

Oh my ... you two are too much!  ::giggle:: 

How do you know it's not me?  Maybe I just sit back and watch my minions work.  After all, I'd rather spend my time finding the kinds of gems I'm about to post in the Goren/Vincent thread for you all.

• Love 3

That movie about the Elks also has Anthony Anderson and Marcia Gay Harden.  I'm in!

I'll bring snacks. And I guess, on another topic, Netflix series are the wave of the future! It'll be cool to see VDO back on series TV!

• Love 2

Recently caught some clips of "The Newsroom" on HBO, where David Harbour has a recurring role as Elliot Hirsch (one of the main newscasters), and nearly jumped out of my chair. He had two stints on Criminal Intent, but his most memorable was the ultra-religious family annihilator in "Family Values" who is triggered by some sick lust for his daughter (and kills the rest of his family including the dog). It's one of those episodes so disturbing, I can never look at the actor the same way again!

ETA: Oops, did I goof here? Was this just for main cast members? Apologies to the mods if so -- still learning the forum. Feel free to move, delete, whatever!

Edited by Eolivet
  • Love 1

VDO's stellar (and Peabody Award-winning!) Homicide: Life On The Street guest-starring episode from 1997, "The Subway", can be watched here. It is in 6 parts. You may also recognize another familiar face as the actor who played Arnie in S1 of CI's "Semi Professional", a flunkie hired by a crooked judge to kill a rival judge's law clerk, plays a pretty pivotal role in this HLOTS episode, too. (He had short hair here, so it took me a while to place him!) Enjoy!

• Love 2

Oh man, that "Homicide" episode was my very first exposure to VDO, and it stayed with me for a long time. Absolute masterclass in acting. My boyfriend (now husband) always tried to get me to watch "Homicide" and I never could get into it, but this episode was absolutely riveting. Seconding the recommendation to check it out!

• Love 2

Speaking of VDO, BizBuzz pointed out to some in another forum that VDO was also in Mystic Pizza. It had been so long since I had seen it (really long), so I pulled it out (I own it but had to find it!) and yup, he was! Looking very young.  :-)  Conchata Ferrell who is now well known from Two And A Half Men played the pizza parlor owner, too.

VDO was also in another Julia Roberts movie, Dying Young playing a handyman named Gordon (who originally has a much larger role in the book the movie is based on).

Per TVLine, an actress named Jenna Stern, apparently in all 3 franchise L&O shows (playing *7* different characters over the 3 shows during the franchise run according to the article, wow!) is joining House of Cards.

(Once I saw her picture, I recognized her as the wife/widow of Steven Weber's character in S10's "Cadaver".)

She was the publicity person whatever for Adair in "His good name" or whatever the name of that episode was, and the lying ex-wife of the murder victim in "Crazy" to name a couple more. Just off the top of my head.

Ah, right! She's a good actress then, as all 3 were so different. (Even if her character in "Crazy" should have had consequences, but oh well!)

Was watching some "I Love The..." series on YT, and it showed a bit of The Fly remake with Jeff Goldblum. It was a Z-list movie disguised as A-list. LOL! The bad acting! The cheesy affects! (But Jeff Goldblum was one icky nasty fly. Gross.)

Saw on the TV Shows on DVD site some time back that The Equalizer Season 3 will be getting a release, and VDO is listed as a guest star. I guess he played a mentally handicapped man framed for murder. (Season 3 of this show was, I think around 1987, so it was some time ago. And VDO also appeared in the prior season of that show, but as a different character, a mob guy arsonist.)

I saw "Tru Love," Wheeler's first episode, sometime back.  And I recognized Danielle McCaskin's attorney from somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it.  But then, I realized that she also played (the late) Jane Whitmore's boss at the beginning of the SVU episode "Bedtime."

I didn't know if this was just for the actors who played main characters or even for minor or bit characters, but I wanted to throw it out just in case.

I saw "Tru Love," Wheeler's first episode, sometime back.  And I recognized Danielle McCaskin's attorney from somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it.  But then, I realized that she also played (the late) Jane Whitmore's boss at the beginning of the SVU episode "Bedtime."

I didn't know if this was just for the actors who played main characters or even for minor or bit characters, but I wanted to throw it out just in case.

It could be for anyone, I'd guess, so it's fine.

On that note, in the Season 20 Mothership episode, "Brilliant Disguise", the actress playing the fiancé of a suspect in that episode (Jess Weixler) looked familiar to me. Well, I confirmed via IMDB she was also on CI in "In The Wee Small Hours, Part 2" and, more significantly so, in the Season 8 "lost" episode (very rarely seen or available, anyway), "The Glory That Was".

So I was looking at the casts for the nominated Oscar movies from last night and while J.K. Simmons won for Whiplash (yay!), I didn't know this, but Jeff Goldblum also had a role in The Grand Budapest Hotel, a movie which also won some awards. (Bill Murray is also listed as part of the cast; I never even heard of this one before last night.)

He's playing bad guys an awful lot. . . . Any chance of him ever playing a good guy or an ally to a good guy again?

I'm guessing the bad guys are more fun to play. And he played good guys in the past: In the movies Mystic Pizza (admittedly a chick flick) and Dying Young (ditto) and in an episode of the TV series The Equalizer way back when (of course, the season before that on the same show, he played a mob guy).

The funny thing is, I saw on IMDB that he did have another cop show pilot with Chris Brancato (CI's last EP), but it was passed on.

So I don't think he necessarily just plays or wants to play bad guys. I think he wants to play something if the role is good. Whether the character is good or bad.

And based on the write up for Kingpin, it said his character genuinely believes he is doing good and others see him as a hero, too. So it sounds like he will have shades of gray, which I do like.

He made a cameo on Last Week Tonight recently where he was part of a fake movie trailer.  He played a good guy in that.  Does that count?

I missed that! Sounds like fun.  :-)

I think my VDO's fav role has been "Bobby" the cab driver/serial killer in the 2012 movie 'Chained'. (In that movie starred Julia Ormond as well!)

Chris Noth is aways going to be Mr Big to me ;-)

If you have Netflix, I highly recommend watching Daredevil. VDO is kicking ass (sometimes literally!) and taking names. His Fisk is ruthless, precise, and evil, but there is still vulnerability about him so that even a guy like him has shades of gray.