Type keyword(s) to search

L&O: CI Actors in Other Roles

So I had no idea Goren was also Jo's boyfriend in Mystic Pizza! I didn't recognize him: he was so much younger back then!

Yes! Poor sweet fisherman Bill. But he got the girl, so...  :-)  VDO was also in another Julia Roberts movie, Dying Young. He also had two different roles on old episodes of that '80s series, The Equalizer. In S2, he played a villain/mob guy. In S3, he was a mentally-challenged man framed for murder. And since both of those were in the mid-'80s, either before or during VDO's Full Metal Jacket era, he looked pretty young there, too.

But I'll always have a little soft spot for this Thor in Adventures in Babysitting.  :-)

LOL I had NO IDEA he was the Thor guy!

Also never knew until I rewatched it for the first time in years that Eames was the teacher/love interest in D-2: The Mighty Ducks.

Hee. Go back a page in here. I posted a YT clip of Thor I found.  :-)

And I never knew Kathryn Erbe was in the sequel of The Mighty Ducks! I did see at Wiki or IMDB that she was also in the movie, "What About Bob?" I think Bill Murray was in that one.

I thought David Thornton would be a contender, but he's only had 5 different roles. He played an attorney quite a few times which made it seem like he's been around more. But I thought he was best in "Maledictus" as Kenny Strick. :)

And I had NO idea he's married to Cyndi Lauper, since 1991!! Not who I'd have pictured him with.

I thought David Thornton would be a contender, but he's only had 5 different roles. He played an attorney quite a few times which made it seem like he's been around more. But I thought he was best in "Maledictus" as Kenny Strick. :)

And I had NO idea he's married to Cyndi Lauper, since 1991!! Not who I'd have pictured him with.

That's something I definitely didn't know! I can't picture it, either.

As for Bruce MacVittie, he seemed to excel at playing lowlife criminals. Funny how he also played a memorable one in HLOTS opposite VDO in "Subway", too, before their CI reunion in S1. The HLOTS/L&O franchise seemed quite intertwined what with crossovers and such, on another topic, but the only one to actually play his L&O/L&O franchise  characters that I can recall were Logan and Munch, who originated on HLOTS, so that sorta, kinda doesn't count. (Even Andre Braugher, who not long ago guest starred on SVU, played a different character instead of Det. Frank Pembleton.)

Now whenever I see Thornton in a role, I'll have "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" running through my head.

LOL! There's a cheesy (but fun) '80s movie with the same name that had Sarah Jessica Parker, Helen Hunt, and a very young Shannen Doherty in it - yet Cyndi's music wasn't in it at all.

Creepy Ritchie Coster had 7 different L&O roles:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0182662/?ref_=tt_cl_t8

Wow, I never realized he was in the seldom-shown "The Glory That Was" with Nichols/Wheeler. But he made a big impression in "Homo Homini Lupus". Also surprised to see he was in the episode "Invaders" on the Mothership. I honestly don't remember him, but that one was disturbing (as it was the episode that ADA Alexandra Borgia was beaten to death and put in the trunk of a car).

He scores more points for having a role in the remake of The Thomas Crown Affair. I liked that movie.  :-)

• Love 1

Here's another with 7 roles, Brian Tarantina:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0850211/?ref_=tt_cl_t15

The one I remember him best for is Vic Bowman in "Prisoner" where Corbin Bernson tried to frame him because his wife ran off with Vic. I loved that episode. Especially when Goren was dressed all funky, singing a song, and putting fliers through the mail slot to get a look inside Bowman's house.

That dance was a riot! I thought the guy playing Vic looked familiar. Maybe I saw him in another episode. This really is fun/interesting to me, seeing just how many actors have had multiple roles throughout the franchise! I never would have guessed as many as you've discovered so far!

It's become a weird hobby for me, now that so many episodes are airing on WE. It's not like I don't have the entire series on DVD and could watch them at any time. LOL

Goren's dancing is another thing that fascinates me. I envision him as someone who enjoys dancing but just doesn't have a partner. He danced with the timid bank robber in "Pas de Deux" as well as with her partner when he was interrogating him; did a little dance in the episode where the old lady is trying to be a Broadway star with the help of Harvey, the guy with the facial tic; and in the episode about the Icarus play where the guy dies when his harness breaks as he's flying up to the sun.

Goren's dancing is another thing that fascinates me. I envision him as someone who enjoys dancing but just doesn't have a partner. He danced with the timid bank robber in "Pas de Deux" as well as with her partner when he was interrogating him; did a little dance in the episode where the old lady is trying to be a Broadway star with the help of Harvey, the guy with the facial tic; and in the episode about the Icarus play where the guy dies when his harness breaks as he's flying up to the sun.

Don't forget his first CI dance in "Jones" while questioning the employee at the Spanish Hostess Bar!

Found another male 7-timer, Chance Kelly:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0446257/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t17

Noticed him at the start of "Ill-Bred" and recognized that mug.

Wow, never knew he was in so many CI episodes alone. I remember him from "Maltese Cross" after "Ill-Bred", but none of the others. And he was even in L&O: LA. I guess he did make the rounds.

A lot of these actors probably send Dick Wolf annual fruitcakes (blech) for the holidays in helping them with employment.  :-)

Did you watch "The Sopranos" and catch the connection to Law & Order?

I don't remember the character's name, but he was killed off right after saying he had a script in the works with Rene Balcer. :)

I have never watched The Sopranos, but ha! How ironic and funny that is!

Remember the character Dennis Griscom in "The Third Horseman"? He's another one with 7 different roles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0822802/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

I saw him this morning on an episode of Frasier, playing Frasier's new agent who comes up with the goofy idea of naming a crane after him. The bird goes nuts and attacks Martin, and later Frasier. It's so weird seeing him in a comedy, but he is funny as heck as this inept guy who spends all his spare time doing good deeds instead of being a good agent.

Remember the character Dennis Griscom in "The Third Horseman"? He's another one with 7 different roles.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0822802/?ref_=tt_cl_t7

I saw him this morning on an episode of Frasier, playing Frasier's new agent who comes up with the goofy idea of naming a crane after him. The bird goes nuts and attacks Martin, and later Frasier. It's so weird seeing him in a comedy, but he is funny as heck as this inept guy who spends all his spare time doing good deeds instead of being a good agent.

That sounds hysterical!

And wow, Robert Stanton really was in a lot, wasn't he? (Although I'm not surprised I didn't recognize his second CI stint since it was the solo Nichols era, and that episode, "Three In One", was creepy!) While I know the concept of recycled actors isn't unique to Dick Wolf, it's amusing how actors seem to hit every branch of the franchise.

Maybe Wolf should have his own casting agency!  :-)

Speaking of "Frasier" and these dramatic actors being goofy, check out "The Maris Counselor" with longtime L&O attorney Bob Dishy (who played Lawrence Weaver) winding up in bed, in the dark, with Niles because they both think Maris is the other person waiting for them there.

I would absolutely love to see Goren or Eames in a comedy role on TV.

Speaking of "Frasier" and these dramatic actors being goofy, check out "The Maris Counselor" with longtime L&O attorney Bob Dishy (who played Lawrence Weaver) winding up in bed, in the dark, with Niles because they both think Maris is the other person waiting for them there.

I would absolutely love to see Goren or Eames in a comedy role on TV.

Early Goren and maybe S10 Goren, sure!

But mid seasons Goren was just so, so sad. Although he could have used a good laugh!

Although in his Mystic Pizza role, VDO did play some comedy along with the drama, and he handled it quite well, I thought. I also know Kathryn Erbe was in, of all things, The Mighty Ducks, but since I've never seen it, I'm not sure if it is just a straight-up hockey flick or if there were some lighter moments there, too.

I could see D'Onofrio as a single dad, with a 10-yr old son, living in NYC and working as a bartender. He hears everyone's woes, hooks up with hot women (think Ted Danson on Cheers), and tries to juggle that with his kid who's home at night alone, studying, playing video games, getting into his own version of harmless trouble.

I finally saw Jurassic World. VDO is in it, with a beard and much heavier, but the instant he appeared, I felt like he must be a relative or friend, because he seemed so familiar! Many minutes passed before I realized that it was my pal Goren, with whom I have spent so

many pleasant hours.

Eames was Dreyfus' daughter in "What About Bob?"

• Love 1

Yes! Poor sweet fisherman Bill. But he got the girl, so...  :-)  VDO was also in another Julia Roberts movie, Dying Young. He also had two different roles on old episodes of that '80s series, The Equalizer. In S2, he played a villain/mob guy. In S3, he was a mentally-challenged man framed for murder. And since both of those were in the mid-'80s, either before or during VDO's Full Metal Jacket era, he looked pretty young there, too.

Two years after Full Metal Jacket, VDO was in The Blood of Heroes with Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen. Depending on how you feel about post-apocalyptic settings, its worth checking out just to see him looking so young.

Two years after Full Metal Jacket, VDO was in The Blood of Heroes with Rutger Hauer and Joan Chen. Depending on how you feel about post-apocalyptic settings, its worth checking out just to see him looking so young.

Never heard of The Blood of Heroes, but maybe I'll check it out. Thanks for the heads up! VDO seems to like indies/quirky stuff. But if you ever see pics of him from Men In Black, it looked like he had fun in that "bigger" movie playing an alien.  :-)

I just saw a promo for tomorrow night's episode of Elementary, and suddenly thought "Is that Kathryn Erbe?"  It is, she's in the guest cast, Thursday January 7, 10PM Eastern.

I mentioned previously I'd love to see Vincent on that show, even though (or because?) there are a number of parallels with LO:CI, but I really like Elementary in its own right, the cast is great.  I don't think Erbe's playing a detective though:)

VDO goes all chameleon with his appearance again, this time for the upcoming Emerald City on NBC. Here is a picture of him as The Wizard with his guards.

Heh, sorry for the double post.  As some one who grew up with the Wizard of Oz book and its sequels, I'm not sure how I feel about weird takeoffs, but Vincent looks fab with that long beard!  Kind of Orson Welles-ish.

• Love 1

I just saw a promo for tomorrow night's episode of Elementary, and suddenly thought "Is that Kathryn Erbe?" It is, she's in the guest cast, Thursday January 7, 10PM Eastern.

I mentioned previously I'd love to see Vincent on that show, even though (or because?) there are a number of parallels with LO:CI, but I really like Elementary in its own right, the cast is great. I don't think Erbe's playing a detective though:)

I usually don't watch Elementary but I may check this out since Kathryn Erbe seems to pop up so rarely (outside of CI repeats) on TV these days. Good to know she's still working, too. Thanks, roseha!

As for VDO, he had a salt and pepper beard for a while as seen in the Christmas greeting he put on his Facebook page, complete with Santa hat. :-)

Ha, will have to check VDO's Facebook page again Wendy, thanks I didn't see that.  I was surprised when I found how much posting he does on there.  Perhaps less surprising, it's quite the love-fest from his fans!

Ha, will have to check VDO's Facebook page again Wendy, thanks I didn't see that.  I was surprised when I found how much posting he does on there.  Perhaps less surprising, it's quite the love-fest from his fans!

Yeah, VDO actually posts semi regularly there. He's good about highlighting co-stars in projects he is working on, which I think is nice.

Among those projects is a CHiPs movie, besides the Emerald City TV show of late! Some months ago, he posted about his time on CI and said how he liked the Nicole stuff. Not surprised. LOL!