Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

(edited)

American Psycho will close June 5th.

a '25th Anniversary Performance,' [of Miss Saigon] featuring footage from the musical's closing night in London and its 2014 star-studded gala, is also in the works. The anniversary special, produced by Mackintosh and Universal, is set to be screened worldwide in theaters on October 16 before receiving a digital and DVD release.

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/MISS-SAIGON-25th-Anniversary-Special-Flying-to-Theaters-This-Fall-Danny-Boyle-Helmed-Film-on-Track-for-2018-Start-20160526

Also, Leona Lewis has been cast as Grizabella.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

American Psycho will close June 5th.

I thought I was in A Case of the Monday's thread when I read this line. Figured we were running a pool on worst bosses. 

Carry on. 

• Love 1

Re: Tuck Everlasting. The film was pretty much ignored when it came out, and nobody seems to be reviving it as a cult film...so...big surprise?

Sometimes it works to take an obscure movie and turn it into a musical (see: Kinky Boots) but I'm not really surprised here.

I do really hope someone takes another run at Heathers, although honestly I'm hoping in another revision they go closer to Movie Veronica's background of actually having been friends with the Heathers for quite a while(I'm guessing since junior high), instead of her suddenly being inducted into their crew a la Fern/Vylette in Jawbreaker. Veronica's resentment of Heather Chandler needs to have had years to have been built up, instead of a couple of weeks at most. I'm also hoping on Jawbreaker: The Musical. "Suck It" is absolutely hysterical.

I saw the Explorers Club, a play about 1870's explorers in London who are aghast when someone tries to induct a female, at the Delaware Theatre Company. It was a pretty fun and frothy romp. The actors definitely made it work, though- I feel like they were actually stronger than the material.

In any event, DTC finally had its 1 million dollar season, which was quite a few for them to pull off! Really proud of the little theater that could.

• Love 2
On May 19, 2016 at 5:27 PM, Rick Kitchen said:

Lin-Manuel Miranda fanboying out as Patti Lupone sings at #Ham4Ham

Love! I was in NY last week and was at that Ham4Ham, but I could hardly hear L-MM or see either him or Patti because I opted to enter the lottery (meaning I was in a long line and ended up far away from the stage door by the time I got my entry, as opposed to those who came only to see the mini-show and had planted themselves in front of the doors). I adore Lin's expressions.

22 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

Re: Tuck Everlasting. The film was pretty much ignored when it came out, and nobody seems to be reviving it as a cult film...so...big surprise?

It is a book so I thought that would help but I personally didn't read it in class and don't know if it's very widely taught now. Aside from Gatsby and Shakespeare I feel like schools are making the effort to keep the reading lists moderately current.

• Love 1

I get that feeling as well- reading lists tend to mainly include stuff from the past 20 years or so, it seems.

The book doesn't even really have the romance because Winnie is 10 years old. It's more like a kindergarten crush than anything.

(edited)

I don't know if Tuck Everlasting is actually being "taught" in schools these days but it's on tons of school reading lists and it's a book that is still in print, widely read and  widely available in libraries.  Kids ask me for it all the time.  I mean, Carrie was and is a popular book too and that didn't help a bad show to be less bad.

Edited by ratgirlagogo
  • Love 2

I don't know if Tuck Everlasting is actually being "taught" in schools these days but it's on tons of school reading lists and it's a book that is still in print, widely read and  widely available in libraries.  Kids ask me for it all the time.  I mean, Carrie was and is a popular book too and that didn't help a bad show to be less bad.

That's funny because I've been saying that instead of making this small social media push which targets theatre fans, they should have done something more with schools and libraries. Now, it's not a fantastic adaptation but that's a separate issue.

• Love 1

Here in South Africa we (obviously) don't have as huge a selection of shows as the US, but I am usually extremely impressed with the quality of our shows.

It's been a very busy year and as such I haven't been to many shows, but the two I have seen has impressed tremendously.

The first one was I'm playing your song - a story on the life of Marvin Hamlisch. Awesomely written/played (piano)/sung and performed by one of the best theatre actors in SA - Jonathan Roxmouth (seriously, youtube the guy!) I didn't know much about Marvin's life, but this awesome two man show brought his story to life in a fascinating way.

Then, we went to see a production of Joseph and the amazing technicolor dreamcoat, starring an all SA cast (including the aforementioned Roxmouth) and it was brilliant. The choreography, costumes, lighting and singing was on point.  There was a small technical glitch at the start of the show with the sound tech, but even that was handled with such humerous professionalism it felt like a planned ice breaker!

I love reading through this thread and seeing the names of shows I can only hope will someday get a production this side...

Ps. The next show we'll probably go see is I love you, you're perfect, now change. Has anybody seen it (obviously your local/ or the original off broadway production) and if you have, how is the show in general. I try not to watch clips before seeing shows, as I like going in unspoiled...

• Love 2

The technical issues at American Psycho the other night have me thinking about pre-recorded music/music not being played by the musicians and the relationship between the musicians and the performers. I don't like "computer" music unless it's pop music, which is not what I go to the theatre for, but that's another issue. I tend to not think about the musicians too much unless it's something like Encores or Bright Star or Cabaret or a 92Y concert when they're on stage. But I think there's something really valuable in the way the musicians and actors function as a unit and can respond to one another. There's something a little offputting about the idea of musicians just chugging along doing their thing while the actors might as well be singing over a CD for all they can feed off each other's energy that particular night. It doesn't seem to leave much room for spontaneity or joy or the something extra that sets a great performance/show apart from just a technically proficient one. Just a thought.

Over at another board, people have talked about music groups/musicians that they'd like to see a musical about. Any pitches?

Mine is the Bay City Rollers. You've got the crazy, tacky costumes, the exuberant 70's pop music, and the big downfall that befalls the group. You also have a gay manager who may or may not be evil, a lead singer who may or may not be interested in men, a member who may or may not be interested in looking at little kids, a member who becomes addicted to amphetamines, a member who can't stand playing a teen idol when he's pushing 30, a VERY nasty break-up, and a forty year battle to reclaim royalties that the band says are due to them. And of course, you get the reunion when they're in their 50's/60's. (Well, semi-reunion.)

It would also have inherent late Baby Boomer/early Gen Xer nostalgia appeal to it.

I can just picture the ensemble singing "Saturday Night"in reprise as the encore.

I saw a splendid production of The Secret Garden at the Arden Theatre in Philadelphia yesterday. I loved the original production, saw it three times (with a different Archibald each time but otherwise identical cast), but haven't thought about it that much since. Great score, with ensembles predominating over solos, and an evocative affecting story. This production made great use of modern technology to add to the magic with projections and miniatures, as well as a fine cast. It's running for another two weeks.

7 hours ago, DeLurker said:

@methodwriter85 - had no idea there was so much dirt around the Bay City Rollers!

I didn't, either, but I caught a documentary about them and was pretty shocked at how crazy their fame and post-fame lives were. Les McKeown (the lead singer) was basically a total trainwreck up until a couple years ago, and while he was in rehab, he admitted to being bisexual. He and another member also accused their manager of sexual harassment.

I don't care for hip-hop, so I wasn't inclined try to see "Hamilton" (that, and the ticket prices), despite my love of live theater, but CBS has been highlighting the show all day -- first on "CBS Sunday Morning" and then "60 Minutes" -- and showing clips. Now I'm intrigued. I still won't try and see it on Broadway (even if I could get tickets, and I'm not about to pay those obscene ticket prices), but if it goes on tour or makes it to regional theater, I'll go.

(edited)

I do really hope someone takes another run at Heathers, although honestly I'm hoping in another revision they go closer to Movie Veronica's background of actually having been friends with the Heathers for quite a while(I'm guessing since junior high), instead of her suddenly being inducted into their crew a la Fern/Vylette in Jawbreaker.

I watched the movie for the first time after seeing the video of the musical and while I liked both approaches, I think the musical works better. By turning "Dump Truck" into Veronica's close friend, her poor treatment at the hands of the Heathers cuts deeper, especially in light of Veronica wanting to be more of a member of the "in" crowd. By having her already in that crowd, she's more complicit in their acts and we're left wondering how she became friends with them in the first place. There's a piece of the party left untold. I think the stage show fills in the blanks...and this justifies Martha's return for the "happy" ending.

Lin-Manuel Miranda fanboying out as Patti Lupone sings at #Ham4Ham

Awesome! Her vibrato is great, as always. And I'm not surprised she'd be willing to sing if it helps to spread the word about not using cell phones in theatres.

I am not down with a Mary Poppins sequel. Is it a confirmed sequel...as in "taking place after the original"? Wish the studios would leave well enough alone and develop NEW IDEAS. Wow. Remember those?

So...I just finished watching the recordings of Disaster! and On the 20th Century. I was eager to see the latter last year, but it didn't happen. It turns out...I don't think I missed much. I really liked how all the characters were introduced in Act One (and Andy Karl was hilarious and awesome, as always) but the lyrics and melodies fell flat in places. An entire song devoted to repeating "She's a Nut!" ?? Um...no thanks. Cheno is brilliant and sings like an angel, obviously, but I found her strangely inert in this production (maybe it was filmed on an off-night?) I couldn't buy her as the mousy piano player-turned diva. I didn't see any of that original girl in the star that she turned into. Strange.

Peter Gallager was better than I thought. He really embodied the role, even if his singing wasn't the best. And what was the deal with the older actress playing the religious nut? Her singing voice was really rough...I realized she's a veteran of the theatre from googling her, but I just felt badly during the performance because of all the warbling. And overall, the comedy didn't land. Beautiful-looking production, but not quite what I was expecting. Thank god for Andy Karl. Him and that headshot he kept sticking on the wall? Amazing :) Wish they had written more of a final scene for his character at the end instead of just having him walk off with some other random girl for the final reprise.

Disaster, meanwhile, started off pretty well, but then the song choices just felt like they were motivating the plot instead of the other way around and the whole second act was random. The pacing was all over the place. The 2nd cater waiter who ended up killed (the friend of the RENT alum) was one of the more interesting characters and yet they tossed him aside. Strange. It's no surprise people are saying to see this show just for the Nun because she walks away with every scene.

I really enjoy Seth, but yeah - his jokes didn't land and nice admittedly trained singing voice was all wrong for the part. I didn't buy him as a love interest for the lounge singer at all...and it just felt a little like a vanity project. Don't get me wrong - I'm glad he's gotten to star in a Broadway show! But yeah...this one's trying for Xanadu and missing it pretty severely.

Did any of you see either of these shows?

Edited by DisneyBoy

I am not down with a Mary Poppins sequel. Is it a confirmed sequel...as in "taking place after the original"? Wish the studios would leave well enough alone and develop NEW IDEAS. Wow. Remember those?

Well, they've announced the casting, so it seems to be sure thing.

9 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Yep. It's taking place during the depression and Mary Poppins is going to show up to nanny for one of the Bank children's own children. I can't remember which one.

Now that the Tony's are over and "Hamilton" justifiably cleaned up I can say in a small voice that I preferred "Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson".

I'll go hide in the corner in musical theatre time-out now.

2 hours ago, bosawks said:

Now that the Tony's are over and "Hamilton" justifiably cleaned up I can say in a small voice that I preferred "Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson".

I'll go hide in the corner in musical theatre time-out now.

I loved "Bloody, Bloody Andrew Jackson"!!  I love "Hamilton" more, but I think BBAJ gets a bad rap for some reason I don't understand.

• Love 1
On 13/06/2016 at 8:48 AM, vibeology said:

Yep. It's taking place during the depression and Mary Poppins is going to show up to nanny for one of the Bank children's own children. I can't remember which one.

Wait...is it happening in the USA?

8 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Wait...is it happening in the USA?

Depression era London apparently. They're filming in London. It's one of the reasons people knew Lin-Manuel Miranda was leaving Hamilton before they officially announced his last date.

So I decided to finally listen to the Encores Paint Your Wagon recording on Spotify and it's really pretty and I'm enjoying it. I do think it feels like a lesser Oklahoma but I'm happy to have this nice new recording a maybe learn a few of these songs. And then I get to "Carino Mio." Ugh. SO BEAUTIFUL.

Oooh, I didn't know this thread was here! Thanks for the tip over in the Tony's thread.

I just got back from NYC and seeing Hamilton - the first post-Tony show. I picked that day a while back in hopes it would be a special show with the main cast intact, and I was so flipping excited to have gotten lucky and be right. The only person absent was Jasmine, who plays Peggy/Maria. 

Part of me wishes I could say it was all hype and it wasn't worth the $$$ (I bought a resale ticket for $750 and used frequent flier miles & hotel points to get there/stay there), but it was worth every penny.

After the show I hung out in the theater until they kicked us out - I picked up as many of the Playbills as I could find (with the wonderful rainbow logo for Pride) and watched Kail talk with friends on stage - and then got to see Daveed, Pippa, and Leslie come out the stage door. After that, I just wandered around - I love Broadway, the chaos of Times Square, the happy theater-goers everywhere. It was a kick ass evening.

• Love 7
10 hours ago, aradia22 said:

So I decided to finally listen to the Encores Paint Your Wagon recording on Spotify and it's really pretty and I'm enjoying it. I do think it feels like a lesser Oklahoma but I'm happy to have this nice new recording a maybe learn a few of these songs. And then I get to "Carino Mio." Ugh. SO BEAUTIFUL.

What a coincidence!  I just saw the "reimagined" version in Seattle.  I didn't pick up an Oklahoma vibe, but everything sung by Armando (Justin Gregory Lopez, in this case) was absolutely wonderful and I need to get a recording.  

I too recommend the Encores! Paint Your Wagon recording. The physical CDs are finally shipping next week, but with a purchase you get a digital download, so immediate gratification is possible. Like many others, I used to underestimate this score, because the original cast recording is so short and the eventual movie was so bad. It now sounds to me like a genuine forgotten epic from Broadways's golden age, including easily the best orchestrations I've heard from Ted Royal. The three principal male roles call for vividly contrasting voices and personalities, and in Keith Carradine ("Wanderin' Star"), Justin Guarini ("I Talk to the Trees," "Another Autumn"), and Nathaniel Hackmann ("They Call the Wind Maria") this recording certainly has them.

7 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

I too recommend the Encores! Paint Your Wagon recording. The physical CDs are finally shipping next week...

I hope you're right, but would love to know how you come by this information. I pre-ordered my CD from Amazon many weeks ago, and have yet to receive any notification of a ship date.

Why do I keep doing this to myself? Why do I keep talking a chance on downtown theatre? Sadly, it's seeming like the closer something is to NYU territory, the more likely I'm not going to like it. I saw a play tonight that just... first of all it clocked in at 2 hours and 45 minutes when they said 2h30 including the intermission. Let's put aside that 2h30 is ridiculous to begin with. It was not good. It was not as bad as Speakeasy. The acting was mostly competent if a little flat and the lead female character had some good moments. And it started off well. At the beginning of the play two of the characters are children and I thought the dialogue did a good job of reflecting that instead of speaking from the perspective of an adult. But it was just... gah, this play! You know it's bad when you want to scream or laugh at them or get angry or leave and you just have to stew in that because the play isn't even close to being over. I'll say this, it made me feel things. Not because of any of the work they were doing but because of how badly they were failing at all the work they were doing.

• Love 1

Also, I'm really tired of misogyny, weak female characters, and a lack of diversity as part of the downtown theatre experience. Over it. Don't tell me how you need my donations to support your theatre while you keep serving that weaksauce.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

I hope you're right, but would love to know how you come by this information. I pre-ordered my CD from Amazon many weeks ago, and have yet to receive any notification of a ship date.

I received an email on May 29 saying 

We have good news! We now have delivery date(s) for your item(s) listed below. We’ll send a confirmation when your items ship. If you would like to view the status of your entire order or make any changes to it, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.

Delivery Estimate Details

Placed on Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Your new estimated delivery date is: Wednesday, June 15, 2016 - Wednesday, June 22, 2016

And on my Amazon order page it says "expected by June 22."

Interesting that LMM has announced that they are filming an official video of Hamilton with the original cast, to be released at some point in the distant future. Think that'll affect ticket sales?

5 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Interesting that LMM has announced that they are filming an official video of Hamilton with the original cast, to be released at some point in the distant future. Think that'll affect ticket sales?

October 17, on PBS!

Rick, that's not it. They haven't said when and how they'll release the footage.

Producer Aaron Harnick just announced that Tony Award nominee Phillipa Soo (Hamilton) will play the title role in the 2017 Broadway premiere of AMÉLIE, A NEW MUSICAL at a confirmed Broadway theater to be announced, following a limited engagement at CTG's Ahmanson Theatre from December 4, 2016, through January 15, 2017. Full casting, Broadway theater and dates to be announced soon

(edited)

Just watched Waitress. Was not especially impressed. JM was wonderful and the two friends were great, but the score felt meandering - sometimes good, sometimes completely generic and forgettable - and JM was saddled with an arc all too similar to that of Carol King in Beautiful. The mean husband was a caricature (I found the cheater in 9 to 5 more interesting and he was barely in that show) and the attempts to be heartwarming came off as artificially sweet at times. I certainly didn't need a hundred echoes of the word "sugar", for instance. We get it - baking is like life.

While I liked that the ending took a realistic turn, it felt like some of the things they spent the whole show setting up were quickly abandoned. This is a musical after all...setting up a predictable plot is usually okay. Why did this show feel it had to go a different route? I am going to watch the original movie to see if it was the template in that regard.

But boy can JM sing...!

Did y'all get into this one? The critics seemed to love it and call it "magical". 

Edited by DisneyBoy

I saw Legally Blonde today, the first of the new season of the Sacramento Music Circus.  It's a fun way to spend an afternoon, but it's really just a trifle, with no memorable songs.

Lauren Zakrin - Elle Wood - she was outstanding. Great voice and great presence.  http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Lauren-Zakrin/

Paul Schoeffler - Professor Callahan - Long time Music Circus performer.  He was Henry Higgins in last season's My Fair Ladyhttp://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Paul-Schoeffler/

Jordan Bondurant - Warner Huntington III - He has a nice voice, but it's a good thing there wasn't a lot of non-singing acting in this, because his acting leads a lot to be desired. http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Jordan-Bondurant/

James Michael Lambert.  My second favorite after Lauren Zarkin.  He was very good, both acting and singing. http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/James-Michael-Lambert/

Ryah Nixon - Paulette Bonafonte - She was fun, and did a good job. http://www.broadwayworld.com/people/Ryah-Nixon/

• Love 1