Type keyword(s) to search

Theatre Talk: In Our Own Little Corner

• Start Topic

Is the movie very different from the stage show? 

Almost completely. It keeps just 3 songs from the stage score (the three you'd expect: this, "Diamonds," and "Bye Bye Baby") while adding two more by other writers. While the very general outline remains intact (transatlantic crossing, rich man back home, France), the actual story is new (there's some kind of trial as I recall). The movie opens with "Just Two Little Girls From Little Rock," done by Marilyn Monroe and Jane Russell as part of their club routine -- it's no longer a character song. And so on.

Well I'll make a point of checking it out then! Didn't expect it to offer much more than the much-loved "Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend" number, so it's good to hear its appeal isn't limited to only that. I think after watching the movie version of Anything Goes I lost hope that movie adaptations of musicals in that era could fare well. That movie really didn't add up for me...

So guess what I just started watching? That's right...On The Town! Yazbeck is delightful and so are the other two sailor guys, but I'm finding the leading lady a bit awkward in the acting department (but a great dancer) and the dance sequences have some strange music going on. The whole Turnstile Girl sequence really lost me until I realized at the end that they'd tried to show a year (or a month?) in her reign. I couldn't figure out why there were suddenly football players throwing her around beautifully, LOL.

The female taxi driver is a gem and really rocking it, but the crazy couple aren't getting the laughs they could. Makes me wonder if the director didn't work enough with his cast to find the right kind of funny to show the audience. They're going for wacky humour but often missing the mark...

Okay something different...but I just started watching the behind-the-scenes documentary on the 2 disc of the (ugh) Phantom of the Opera film with Butler and Rossum, and they showed a quick picture of a poster for Jesus Christ Superstar, which shows Jesus' face looking up with a sort of ring around his head forming the title...

...which looks really really similar to the Follies face logo I saw on the DVD of the Follies concert. Was AWL's marketing team ripping off Follies? Or did Follies rip off/homage something else, making it fair game?

215px-Pfollies.jpeg

Edited by DisneyBoy

I just watched the 25th anniversary performance of POTO on netflix (again) and looked up Gerald Butler's Music of the Night for funzies. Medicore as hell especially against Ramin Karimloo's (or any other phantom really)--which should never be the word used to describe the Phantom's voice. Also, am I in the only one who's always been unnerved at the amount of fangirls who are sexually attracted to the Phantom? 

ETA: Ramin still KILLS it as the Phantom. His Stranger Than You Dreamt It is flawless.

Edited by JustaPerson

Oh okay - thought there might be some history there.

I just watched the 25th anniversary performance of POTO on netflix (again) and looked up Gerald Butler's Music of the Night for funzies. Medicore as hell especially against Ramin Karimloo's (or any other phantom really)--which should never be the word used to describe the Phantom's voice.

Agreed. I get that they thought a Broadway Raoul versus a Rocker Phantom would be compelling, but holy moly were they wrong. In Ramin they found someone who could sing AND lure in the fangirls though.

Crawford is still my top pick, but Colm Wilkinson was also really really interesting in the role...he just floats the end of Music Of The Night forever.

In Ramin they found someone who could sing AND lure in the fangirls though.

Hells yea. I hate the Phantom but I love Ramin. He did an amzing job with the role, but objectively the Phanom just sucks. I watched the heck out of the vlogs he made for broadway.com while he was in Les Miz. RK was my first Phantom (though the OBR of sarah brightman and michael crawford interested me in the show in the first place). 

Hadley Fraser was a wonderful Raoul too. Raouls in general don't get enough credit.

Edited by JustaPerson

I'm back, my loves, and the Super Mega Jumbo Catching Up From Vacation TNR is UP!!! Here are your highlights

• #15secondshakespeare
  • Amazing Grace closing October 25; Whorl Inside A Loop extending through September 27; Spring Awakening extending through January 24; Ruthless! The Musical extending through January 2, 2016
  • TodayTix lottery for Best Time Ever with NPH
  • In development: King Kong musical now with Jason Robert Brown; Solana, the story of twenty-five year old, adopted Asian-American, Chloe Ellsworth who wants to be a writer; Ghostlight about Ziegfeld Follies girl and silent film star Olive Thomas; Galileo rock musical; We Are The Tigers cheerleading murder mystery pop-rock musical
  • Sydney Lucas will depart Fun Home October 4
  • Terrence Mann will take over as Captain Hook in Finding Neverland on September 29 as Anthony Warlow finishes his run on September 27.
  • The Rise and Fall of Little Voice has been optioned for a revival during the 2016-2017 Broadway season as a vehicle for Christina Bianco
  • Audra McDonald will have a scheduled absence from Shuffle Along from June 21, 2016 through September 25. She will return September 27th and is contracted to remain with the show until June 11, 2017.
  • The Mikado debacle
  • Frank Sinatra at 100 will be presented October 17 at Symphony Space in 3 three hour long concerts
  • First listen of Hamilton on NPR
  • The Cry Baby cast album will be released digitally September 25 and in stores October 9
  • Glenn Close to reprise her role in Sunset Boulevard in a semi-staged production from April 1-May 7
  • Harvey Fierstein will revise the original book of Funny Girl for its London revival
  • Toni Braxton will get a Lifetime biopic called Un-Break My Heart
  • Thirteen will show 4 plays as part of its Theater Close-Up series. Rasheeda Speaking will be broadcast October 1 at 9pm; Fashions for Men will be broadcast October 15 at 9pm
  • Love 1

I just read that all of the remaining Hamilton shows are sold out.  Was that incorrect?

From my searching two days ago on Ticketmaster, tickets are available, but not very many, and some say they are partial viewing. Resale tickets are about running about $400+ but I don't think I can spend that much. I wish I could find out the exact dates I'll be there now so I could snag one. 

I finally made it to the Broadway Flea Market for the first time. I had fun hunting for memorabilia but it was also just nice to be around people who are into the same thing you're into and to learn a bit more about shows hunting through Playbills and CD's. There are a lot of forgotten shows I've never even heard about. I saw a handful of things from The Visit. Nothing from Doctor Zhivago or the many other shows that closed prematurely. There was a Lorelei Carol Channing Playbill and a lot of things from older shows like that at many of the tables. I was expecting a little more in terms of toys and merchandise. It was pretty book/Playbill/CD heavy. I did get a little tired of searching through Playbills after the first few tables. But again, it was a fun time and I'm glad the money is going to a good cause. 

Here are some of my finds.

• Original Chicago Playbill (SO happy about this one)
  • Original A Little Night Music vinyl
  • Original My Fair Lady vinyl
  • American in Paris Pride Playbill (I was looking for this one because I love the art and the colors do look fantastic)
  • The Apple Tree vocal selections songbook
  • CD's: Greenwillow, Randy Newman's Faust, Steel Pier (These are the ones I haven't listened to. I also got a few that I already have downloaded/that are available on Spotify. I'm hoping to get them signed.)
  • Love 1

TNR is up. Went to a very well performed but ultimately confusing and tedious concert tonight.

• Many official openings and shows beginning previews. The big headline is Spring Awakening and the reviews are out!
  • Trip of Love discount preview tickets.
  • I kind of want to see Jason Danieley as Billy Flynn but I no desire to see Chicago again.
  • Lynne Wintersteller in Shear Madness
  • 40th anniversary A Chorus Line album re-release with bonus tracks

Need some help friends - months ago I watched bits of a full Elaine Paige video bootleg of Sunset Boulevard (the Broadway version with Alan as Joe Gillis) and I didn't bookmark it. I've been searching in vain for weeks to find the tumblr account it was listed on, or to find the actual link itself (It was on Vimeo or Daily Motion - definitely not on YouTube). I've had no luck.

Does anyone know where this thing is hiding online? I'd be very appreciative to receive a link to it in my PM box. Thanks!

TNR is up

• Many openings. There is no way to see everything.
  • Les Miserables ticket offer for 10/6
  • Hoon Lee begins performances in The King and I
  • Jeff Daniels and Michelle Williams will star in Blackbird
  • Julian Ovenden replaces Stephen Pasquale in NY Pops concert (On the one hand, I thought he was a great Ravenal in Show Boat. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to Stephen Pasquale and for some reason I see Pasquale as a better fit with Sierra Boggess.)
  • Lena Hall and Lady Be Good albums

Julian Ovenden replaces Stephen Pasquale in NY Pops concert (On the one hand, I thought he was a great Ravenal in Show Boat. On the other hand, I was really looking forward to Stephen Pasquale and for some reason I see Pasquale as a better fit with Sierra Boggess.)

Funny enough...

Edited by JustaPerson

I saw Hamilton last Saturday and really enjoyed it.  There were songs, however, where I could not understand a single word.  It wasn't constant throughout the show, and there were plenty of songs that were perfectly clear, but still, it was a problem.  I don't know what they can do about it (miking, maybe?).  Despite that occasional glitch, I loved the show and would see it again if it had a longer run.  Is it really ending in February? I have been obsessively listening to the soundtrack--lots of good songs there.

I loved the show and would see it again if it had a longer run.  Is it really ending in February? 

No -- whoever told you that was misinformed. It moved to Broadway precisely so it could have an open-ended run, and as shown on its website, it's currently selling tickets through September 2016, no doubt opening up more blocs as time passes or demand increases. Given the current state of demand, it's likely to run for years and years.

I have been obsessively listening to the soundtrack--lots of good songs there.

Apologies in advance to everyone for being a pedantic old fart. I know I'm swimming against history, as well as online "official" usage. But I cling to the idea that a "soundtrack" is something that happens on film or video, and that a recording of a stage production is a "cast recording." I try to convey this to my students in History of Musicals, but I no longer have much hope that they'll retain it. :) OK, I'll shut up about this now.

Edited by Rinaldo
  • Love 3

Apologies in advance to everyone for being a pedantic old fart. I know I'm swimming against history, as well as online "official" usage. But I cling to the idea that a "soundtrack" is something that happens on film or video, and that a recording of a stage production is a "cast recording."

If we give up insisting on this, we might as well let ISIS win.

• Love 4

Apologies in advance to everyone for being a pedantic old fart. I know I'm swimming against history, as well as online "official" usage. But I cling to the idea that a "soundtrack" is something that happens on film or video, and that a recording of a stage production is a "cast recording." I try to convey this to my students in History of Musicals, but I no longer have much hope that they'll retain it. :) OK, I'll shut up about this now.

I am firmly behind you being a pedantic old fart!  Keep fighting the good fight!!

• Love 1

Late TV alert, unfortunately only for those in the NYC metro area. (As I don't think the show has national PBS distribution, as of yet,) Theater Close Up begins its second season tonight.  It's video recorded performances of plays by various Off-Broadway companies.  Tonight's is the New Group's recent production (earlier this year, I think) of Rasheeda Speaking, with Tonya Pinkins and Dianne Wiest, directed for the stage by Cynthia Nixon.  Tonight's airing is 9pm, on Ch. 13 WNET and I'm guessing there will be rebroadcasts there and on the Long Island and New Jersey PBS affiliates as last year. (Which I don't have time to research at the moment.  Posting on the fly!)

(edited)

TNR is up.

• Many openings. There are just too many plays to possibly watch.
  • World Egg Day celebrations at Something Rotten
  • Misery sweepstakes
  • John Krasinski at the Public
  • Some interesting plays
  • Album news is very interesting today
Edited by aradia22

Aplologies to all for the "soundtrack" faux pas.  I have my own grammar/terminology bugaboos, so I feel your pain. I stand corrected.

Late TV alert, unfortunately only for those in the NYC metro area. (As I don't think the show has national PBS distribution, as of yet,) Theater Close Up begins its second season tonight.

Totally jealous of those in the metro area.

• Love 1

I finally got through listening to Hamilton tonight. It is SUPER long. Honestly, I think it's a little too long. I get musicals having themes but I think combining the repetitiveness of the pop music style with bringing back themes over and over seemed unnecessary. And while the music was catchy and the lyrics were generally well-written out of context it took a while to really grow on me as a show. But it did. I'm into it. I think a lot of the early songs are some of the strongest in the show but the second half is stronger because everything comes together and you realize that Lin Manuel Miranda understands the flaws of his protagonist and of the story itself. I have to say though, Aaron Burr/Leslie Odom Jr. really stole the show for me. I would not be surprised at all if he gets nominated for a Tony.

I was a little lukewarm on In the Heights, putting the handful of really great songs aside. But this is an incredibly confident and creative effort and I can see why it's getting so much praise. It feels like it has the blood and bones of American music and of musicals in it. Though it was also reminding me of Evita and Les Mis at times.

I saw Daddy Long Legs last night and as we've discussed many times over I am terrible about writing actual reviews. I thought it was a a pretty adorable show and I was thoroughly charmed by it. Paul Nolan sounded as beautiful as he did in Doctor Zhivago. Megan McGinnis was very winning but I feel like the orchestrations, particularly in the first act, were at odds with the melody and were almost trying to drown her out. It was a perfect off-Broadway show. Small, but making smart use of the set (though the times they came down into the audience or to the very foot of the stage were a little jarring). I feel like the words "quaint" and "slight" sound derogatory but I don't mean them to be. It was light and fluffy and romantic in the best way. The characters felt things passionately and could be irrational and jealous but there was no deep, dark pathos to reckon with. It was a lovely pick me up. It reminds me of the musicals that seem to have fallen out of favor. The Secret Garden, Little Women. It has a feminist bent and it takes great pleasure in making literary references. I didn't find it pretentious though. 

I think it would make for a great date night. I kind of want to go again but it's not in my budget. Maybe I can find someone to take me. :)

TNR is up.

Featuring: Waitress, Encores Annie Get Your Gun, King Charles III rush, The New Morality, Hand to God, Moana, The Lilly Awards, Hamilton, Gypsy starring Imelda Staunton, The Rocky Horror Show, Therese Raquin

(edited)

Had a good day today. Not a great day but a good day. I might write more about it here or on the blog but for now...

The Al Hirschfeld exhibit at the NY Historical Society is definitely worth a visit. I'm going to be trying to find that Dryfoos documentary now. His work is brilliant. I just think the exhibit was a bit of a letdown. The plaques became increasingly less informative and there seemed to be a rush after the 1940's. I saw enough and was intrigued enough to buy the exhibit book though. I enjoyed learning a little about his process and background and Nina. My favorite tidbit was the one about how he taught himself to draw and write notes in his pocket while watching a show.

Julian Ovenden and Sierra Boggess at Carnegie Hall with the NY Pops was a pleasant night out but not really worth as much as I paid for the ticket. Part of it was my fault. I couldn't help imagining Steven Pasquale and finding Julian Ovenden lacking. His acting of the songs was fine (assuming a lack of preparation time) but I think he lacked the necessary fire and American spirit for some songs... Oklahoma, Carousel, etc. Some Enchanted Evening was also a bit of a letdown simply because the low notes seemed too low for him to comfortably sing. But he was much better in the second half (they went chronologically through R&H's shows) with the romantic songs like I Have Dreamed. It was just not the best casting. He made a great Ravenal. I don't think he'd be as good of a Billy Bigelow. I won't be that critical of Sierra because I think she was sick. She rallied more in the second half as well. The Waltz for a Ball from Cinderella continues to be one of my favorite songs. I actually had a bit more fun with the choir. The guys did a very fun rendition of There Is Nothing Like A Dame. They also bounced up and down for Do-Re-Mi which was a fun surprise.

Edited to add that I rode up in the elevator with Harriet Harris and Edward Hibbert.

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

I saw two shows today. I won't go into either too much because it's late.

Perfect Arrangement: Good show. I'd recommend it. Strong performances for the most part with a few stumbles over lines. Slightly artificial writing (too formal) in one scene and a bit too much speechifying (not in a preachy way... it just takes you out of the play for a bit). I don't think it was saying anything revolutionary but for the most part it was put together well and entertaining. It also presented different perspectives pretty completely and fairly. I just think it has some structural issues (a running gag that went nowhere, multiple endings... not in a sci-fi way but where you think it's going to be the end and then it seems to end again and again, etc.)

The Vast Machine: Awful. Just super terrible. If you're going to start in media res, you need strong writing and performances to establish what's happening and make me care. This play had neither. It was not that well-written and poorly directed and acted. There's a kind of tension when you're watching good actors play a scene. This play did not have that tension. It would have made as much sense if there was a single spotlight and each actor stepped into it to deliver their lines. That was how weird and disconnected it felt. It didn't feel like they were really interacting, just waiting for the next line so they could speak. When there were scenes with all the actors it was even odder. I felt like the writing and the way the lines were delivered were dividing my attention. Also, there was so much unmotivated shouting. The actors didn't shout out of anger and only sometimes to get someone's attention. They were just shouting. There were also slippery accents and with the shouting and crazy line delivery it was really hard to focus sometimes. But I tried. And within 30 minutes I figured out that no one had a compelling story and the playwright did not care. The doctor was a little interesting by the end but really, I don't know what this was. I didn't empathize with anyone. I didn't really get their motivations. I'm not sure what this really said about slavery. No. Do NOT go see this.

I should add that The Vast Machine was 80 minutes with no intermission. If there had been in intermission this might have been the first play I walked out of. This and Mercury Fur. I'm beginning to think they sometimes don't have an intermission so you're trapped and can't leave.

• Love 1

I saw Futurity tonight. It's REALLY good. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I will say that it's not very character-based storytelling which confused me because it's sold and in the beginning presented as the story of Ada Lovelace and a fictional Union soldier named Julian Munro. But it ends up being more abstract and philosophical. Or maybe it was supposed to connect with me emotionally and failed. But regardless, the music is fantastic (barring one song where I could not understand the lyrics for the life of me... though I still enjoyed the sound of it), the performers are great, I loved the set, and I loved the use of movement (for the most part). The ensemble (almost all) plays instruments and interacts with the set in interesting and surprisingly ways. This is just a very special show... the kind I often skip and then hear about later. I'm glad I got to see it.

• Love 1

Um. Was she ever in the US? How did that work?

They write letters. It's continued throughout the show but for me, it was a thin vehicle for ideas. The thing you think is the point of the story is not actually the point of the story.

• Love 1

TNR is up. Hamlet in Bed was great. A surprisingly enjoyable night out. When I read Hamlet in high school I was more focused on Ophelia and not too bothered with the rest. I'll tell you more about it ASAP.

I had a busy two show day. The Humans matinee and then an evening performance of Catch The Butcher. I'll tell you about both when my brain is working again. I thought the first was OK but it really didn't connect with me at all. Sometimes it happens. The second was not the best play and the actors didn't help. That kind of thing has to be really tight and played confidently. The actors were still stumbling over their lines and I don't feel like they had the best grasp on the tone. The material doesn't warrant it but it seems like the kind of play that needs star power... that is actors confident in their stardom. It's like the way Chita Rivera played Claire in The Visit.

TNR is up.

• REMINDER: Show Boat (you can find my thoughts in this thread) will be aired tonight 10/16 at 9pm on PBS.
  • Rebecca Luker The Secret Garden benefit concert.
  • Dear Elizabeth casting
  • Roundabout/TodayTix