Type keyword(s) to search

S16.E10: Top 10 Perform

• Start Topic

Sorry realdancemom but this weird site is making me type this in a quote box.   I just wanted to say that I did like the fact that the judges’ comments were edited since the show was taped.  Made it a lot easier to listen to them.  

My first nitpick was the very first line of the night -- most spectacular auditions ever?  No, no, and NO! 

The ridiculous hyperbole went on and on from there.  A huge part of the magic of this show was always its heart and authenticity, making the audience feel a part of it.  Audiences notice when shovels of manure are reigning down on us, and we tend to react badly.  

Hated the opening number graphics -- particularly when I realize that there are a certain amount of $$$ attached with doing that.  It may not be much, but when the costume and music budgets are obviously at such starvation levels we need every scheckel used wisely.

Bailey and Mariah did well with a not very exciting number.  They gave it a sparkle and performed really well.  They made me enjoy a ho hum number.

I preferred Gino over Stephanie.  For me she was dancing too high, not down into the floor.  It was a mistake for wardrobe to put her in form fitting pants.  That's not to say anything is wrong with her body at all -- simply that it was a distracting element with Gino in baggy pants and her leg movement so different from his.  

Of course Madison was the one to dance in her own style, because I knew she would.  They also were the ones to get the classic lighting treatment.  She did not impress.   I thought Ezra did a commendable job, very much at least her equal -- and not in his own style.

Benjamin did a credible job.  I can't really ding him for not crushing it when he was quite busy trying to keep Bambi from falling on the ice.  That was a big enough task.

Eddie and Sophie gave exactly what I expected since Academy.  I will give Eddie credit for taking the harsh critique solidly on the chin and maintaining his composure.  Obviously the number would have been elevated with better performances and better performance quality, but honestly I think Brian Friedman phoned this one in, same old/same old.  He's in a bit of a rut and needs to shake things up.

If they want me to feel as detached as I do when watching WOD, mission accomplished.  Of course that series languished for weeks at a time on the DVR before I could get around to fastforwarding my way through the episodes.  There's no way I'll be doing that 15 years from now.

• Love 5

As a dancer, Bailey has a lot more challenges to overcome on this show (being short) than Madison has (being bald.) How well I remember concerns about how Evan could possibly dance with a normal sized partner... yet he managed a waltz with Kayla just fine. Dancers always look best when their partner is the same size, tall or short; and for Bailey, there isn't going to be anyone. 

He's dancing big, works hard, is willing to learn, gives us a good performance every time, and doesn't need a sob story to win our hearts. I hope he's around for a good long time.

• Love 11
On 8/15/2019 at 1:03 PM, displayname said:

I'd have removed Sophie, Anna, and Madison, in favour of Nazz and Sumi. 

Same here! The former are nowhere near the best dancers in their own style and they’re mediocre at other styles. Nazz and Sumi were better in their own styles and I would be much more interested in seeing them outside of their specialties. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Mark Kenamura would have murdered that sushi dance and I could see Chelsea right along side him. 

Comfort would have been hellacious in the ice dance.

I could keep going like that for all the routines - and that is the biggest problem with the show casting the way they have been casting for the past few season (with a few exceptions).  I want to see the old dancers.  I still want the old stage. 

It's a crime that Madison's flub was just hand-waved.  

Having said that - I'll echo a few others in that I enjoy the guys much more than the gals this season  (Specifically Bailey and Benjamin). It's not appointment tv for me anymore - but good for when I'm bored and just want to let my mind wander.  

• Love 5
11 hours ago, gik910 said:

Mark Kenamura would have murdered that sushi dance and I could see Chelsea right along side him.  

I thought of Mark immediately when I saw this dance! Him and Chelsie (or Courtney or Jenna, for that matter) would have rocked this dance.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, gik910 said:

It's a crime that Madison's flub was just hand-waved.  

I hope viewers didn't vote for Madison ,seeing that the judges let that mistake slide the way they did. (no pun intended) I'm also hoping the judge's treatment of that slip will keep Madison from advancing because it is very blatant to viewers she may just be their chosen one.

• Love 1

I don't have any issues with Madison. The little flub that happened didn't take away from the dance for me. I can understand people liking other dancers more, but for me, she dances well enough. And during the Top 10 girls ep, I thought she did the best ballroom dance, which earns points with me.

Edited by calipiano81
On 8/17/2019 at 4:09 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Same here! The former are nowhere near the best dancers in their own style and they’re mediocre at other styles. Nazz and Sumi were better in their own styles and I would be much more interested in seeing them outside of their specialties. 

Who's the third woman you'd pick, then? Sofia like @realdancemom?

56 minutes ago, displayname said:

Who's the third woman you'd pick, then? Sofia like @realdancemom?

Disclaimer:  I picked my choices based on what the TPTB showed us though.  I would have wanted a really good contemporary/ballet dancer that was also versatile.  Not sure, if TPTB would have allowed three ballroom women:  Stephanie, Nazz, and Sofia.  I also still prefer the men.

Edited by realdancemom
  • Love 2