Type keyword(s) to search

PODCAST S01.E01: Pilot

• Start Topic

Glad it's not just me on the Colantrain. Love that guy. 

@WhosThatGirl, you may get your wish! (It may not be me and Tara doing it because we...have given enough of our lives to that guy? [hee] But if we get good response/numbers on current "vintage" pods rolling out, a DC-cast could be in your future!)

@Curly, that sounds right. I'm trying not to watch ahead and solve some of these riddles, but it's tough.

Yes to DC cast! Also, thank you for finally inspiring me to get my shit together and watch Veronica Mars for the first time.

Aww, yeah, a great reason to do a rewatch of Veronica Mars! Looking forward to more of these.

I've always given Teddy Dunn more credit than I probably should. Yes, those baby blues totally do it for me, but also, IIRC, originally Duncan was supposed to be bipolar, which was a plot point that was later pulled back on. So, he's a young actor, trying something difficult, and then getting those acting choices undercut by changes in the story. I feel he was kinda set up to fail.

Given later events, we know Logan didn't just get his T-Bird taken away, which ... ouch.

I'm liking the format of the podcast.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, Sarah D. Bunting said:

We try not to be TOO mean to Teddy Dunn. Buuuuut we don't try THAT hard? (We do speculate in an upcoming ep about how the show might have been different if they'd reversed the casting for Duncan and Troy.)

Upon rewatch I have realized that for me Teddy is only really at his best when he's bouncing off Logan. He comes off the most natural in their friend dynamic. As a love interest or when he has do give emotions? Not the best look. 

• Love 4
(edited)
On 6/16/2017 at 0:08 AM, Gabrielle Tracy said:

She did say, however, as she was looking at the mid aughts chokers, layered T-shirts and Uggs:  "Wow, this must be what looking back at the eighties is like for you!"

The podcast touches a bit on the fashion of the show- they're right, it wasn't over-the-top fashion (as opposed to some of the truly strange shit you'll see on the O.C.), but it's not exactly timeless fashion, either. I graduated in '05 and this show more or less depicts how preppy kids dressed back then. Not enough low-rise flared jeans paired with tight tank tops and color-coordinated flip-flops on the girls (you would see a lot of that on Laguna Beach), but more or less right. Especially all the bright preppy stripped polo shirts.

Teddy Dunn is now a lawyer, apparently. Good for you, dude. I always thought Duncan got written out abruptly in season 2 because Rob realized that Teddy can't act. Also, I feel like a bitch for saying it...the eyes are great but he's just not good-looking enough to overcome the severe lack of charisma or talent.

As for the "incest?maybe" stuff, I'm kind of surprised. I never picked up on anything like that on the show, and I used to be all over that kind of shit back then. (See:  Isabelle and Max on Roswell.)

I miss Veronica's season hair- I hated that she grew it out- it got too flowy and  ingénue-y, and Veronica Mars was anything but an ingénue.

That struck me as a network mandate thing. The apartment apparently was much more rundown than it was on the show because of the network.

Which reminds me of all the debates the show watchers had on TWOP had about how downtrodden the Mars really were. I never thought Veronica's wardrobe was THAT ridiculous for her circumstances, especially given that she's not exactly making her money scooping ice cream cones after-school.

Edited by methodwriter85
  • Love 1
On 6/15/2017 at 1:17 AM, Racj82 said:

Upon rewatch I have realized that for me Teddy is only really at his best when he's bouncing off Logan. He comes off the most natural in their friend dynamic. As a love interest or when he has do give emotions? Not the best look. 

I actually like him in scenes with Veronica, too. Kristen Bell is perfect with her delivery of lines like, "You just stand idly by." She makes it seem like Teddy Dunn's blank stares and flat dialogue are deliberate acting choices. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, topanga said:

I actually like him in scenes with Veronica, too. Kristen Bell is perfect with her delivery of lines like, "You just stand idly by." She makes it seem like Teddy Dunn's blank stares and flat dialogue are deliberate acting choices. 

It depends for me regarding those two. As her love interest, I get nothing but they are not bad with the playful banter. But, wow, how this show would have been different if Ashmore twin played Duncan. 

• Love 1
On 6/13/2017 at 4:02 PM, dylansucks said:

Yes to DC cast! Also, thank you for finally inspiring me to get my shit together and watch Veronica Mars for the first time.

Although, upon rewatching S4, I think most of a DC podcast for that season would just consist of repeatedly shouting "IT'S CALLED A STUDENT LOAN, JOSEPHINE."

• Love 1
On 6/9/2017 at 9:40 AM, Trixieagogo said:

I have long had the feeling that Logan and Weevil actually played together as children.  Weevil's grandmother was the Echolls family housekeeper and it makes sense that she might have brought him to work with her on occasion. Then as they grew older the awareness of social stratification would have pretty naturally driven them apart.

Interesting thought but a no, just a real missed opportunity. In one of the flashbacks Veronica says to Logan “I was twelve when you moved here”. 

(Though, later Logan says he’s known Duncan since kindergarten. Continuity error or their families socialized before the Echols moved to Neptune?)

On 9/3/2021 at 9:12 AM, Miss Bones said:

@SarahDBunting -- I know I'm a little late to the party, but I am re-watching VM, and wondering if this podcast is still available?  I am not finding it on Apple podcast.

I didn’t try to download any of them, but it looks like Sars’s and John Ramos’s podcasts for seasons 1 and 2 are here.

• Love 1