Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E16: New World Order

paulvdb
  • Start Topic

I see Ben has watched Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 2. "Hmmmm, let me Alice this decision about whether to save this kidnapping 'journalist.' Nope! Alice vision says you gotta drown. Sorry buddy."

Hey Ranchies! You only have a pure blood for one generation. Perhaps stop being so stupidly insular and myopic. "The Pownalls" know tons of pure bloods. Both communities have fertility problems.

What's happening with Ben's dad? I don't remember anything from last week.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

What's happening with Ben's dad? I don't remember anything from last week.

He encountered a mermaid during the boat accident that paralyzed his wife. And he has the scars to prove it. His subconscious blocked the memory.

• Love 1

I LOVED THIS EPISODE. LOVED IT. I have been meh on this season in general and just thought it was fantastic. I thought that the rounding up of the "halves" or whatever they would be called was so upsetting and well-done and I was relieved that it was in Ben's imagination. I also thought it was a comment on where we are as a society right now. I'm excited for spring.

The one thing I don't understand is why Helen trusts Beth so much. She's shadyAF. I also wish the man who hates Ben's family wasn't going to be "a thing" in the spring. I don't like the actor or character.

I was sure that Levi was captive in the ranch. Surprised we didn't see him at all.

Edited by Aileen
  • Love 2

I started to suspect somewhat quickly that this was all in Ben's head as he was deciding whether or not to let the journalist die somewhat quickly, but I knew for sure when Maddie died, no way are they killing Maddie off, at least not like that. Before I was like "damn that escalated super quickly" but it makes sense knowing that it was all in Ben's head. I admit I really liked the episode and the twist that it was all in Ben's head. I enjoy "What If" stories, and while this one seemed to be pretty over the top, I could certainly see a lot of that happening of merfolk were brought to light. Even if it wasn't quite that intense that fast, it would certainly be a mess and people and merfolk would probably get hurt or die, its probably best that they remain under wraps, at least for now. 

I am happy that the show isn't going in that direction for next season, I am not super interested in another show doing the "some supernatural creature comes out to the public and all hell breaks lose" story as a major arc like so many genre shows have done lately. Yeah its topical and can be really interesting if done right, but its so often done wrong, I am glad to get it out of our system here and get on with the mer cult and the song drama and other mer drama. We dont need to make this show bigger than it is, I am happy with keeping things local for now and focused on our characters and their problems without a million other things happening and overwhelming the show.

I did crack up that the annoying "But the Pownalls!!!" guy was still "BUT THE POWNALLS!!" all over the place even in Ben's hypothetical mer concentration camp scenario. Like, priorities dude! I am not looking forward of seeing more of him next season. 

I am going to miss this show being on, what will I do until next season without my favorite interspecies polygamous thruple! 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, tennisgurl said:

started to suspect somewhat quickly that this was all in Ben's head as he was deciding whether or not to let the journalist die somewhat quickly, but I knew for sure when Maddie died

I never suspected. Even when Maddie died I was shocked but believed it. And I totally believed Calvin and Zander would betray the merpeople. The only thing that I thought was weird was how many people they had locked up as having mer-blood.

Well ... maybe I'm just pissed because they got me. Maybe I will watch the next season. 🤭

• Love 2
7 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I started to suspect somewhat quickly that this was all in Ben's head as he was deciding whether or not to let the journalist die somewhat quickly, but I knew for sure when Maddie died, no way are they killing Maddie off, at least not like that. Before I was like "damn that escalated super quickly" but it makes sense knowing that it was all in Ben's head. I admit I really liked the episode and the twist that it was all in Ben's head. I enjoy "What If" stories, and while this one seemed to be pretty over the top, I could certainly see a lot of that happening of merfolk were brought to light. Even if it wasn't quite that intense that fast, it would certainly be a mess and people and merfolk would probably get hurt or die, its probably best that they remain under wraps, at least for now. 

I'm like you. I had doubts throughout, but Maddie's death cemented it. When Ian was on TV calling mermaids highly evolved Apex predators, I thought how the fuck does he know. Most of his footage was pretty innocuous. Then I thought what news program put this clown on without trying to verify the footage or getting statements from some of the non-mer people, scientists, or the freaking military. Especially for a story like this, you'd have to do a fuck ton of verification. Xander and Calvin did more research and observation in order to rescue Chris than Ian ever did to uncover mermaids. Then when the military moved in and declared martial law, it seemed like a weird escalation of a situation the military research largely had a handle on.

That would probably be the reaction, but it wouldn't move that quickly. Calvin and Xander exploiting the situation is very much in character and very realistic.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, AnimeMania said:

I was thinking the wide scale knowledge of mermaids to the general public would ruin Siren the same way the wide scale knowledge of Zombies to the general public ruined iZombie.

Same here. That's why I was so glad it was a fake out. I didn't want this show to get bogged down in the same scenario. iZombie really painted themselves into a corner with that.

• Love 1

I enjoyed the finale, at first I wasn't that excited about the future since I don't like when shows reveal the "mystical" elements so early in a shows run but it being a 'What If' worked out perfectly. Though even Sirens were outted, I would hope that we wouldn't have that many people who had lineage to them, I rather that stay a very small circle of a handful of people.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I am happy that the show isn't going in that direction for next season, I am not super interested in another show doing the "some supernatural creature comes out to the public and all hell breaks lose" story as a major arc like so many genre shows have done lately.

That is until someone inevitably finds the video that Ian filmed with his phone, that was of course uploaded to the cloud somewhere.

I was pissed that they went with a worldwide reveal plot, but like several of you, as soon as the killed Maddie, I shouted out, "this is a dream."  Then I was pissed they wasted an entire episode on a "what if" plot.

On 8/2/2019 at 11:28 AM, tennisgurl said:

I did crack up that the annoying "But the Pownalls!!!" guy was still "BUT THE POWNALLS!!" all over the place even in Ben's hypothetical mer concentration camp scenario. Like, priorities dude! I am not looking forward of seeing more of him next season. 

What pissed me off about Brian(?) was that while he was in the midst of his hissy fit about the Pownalls, and should have been on the lookout during the sacred ceremony, HE was the one who had the Doctor implant one of Ryn's fertilized eggs in his girlfriend!!!! So, the hated Pownalls brought you a full blood to get your girlfriend pregnant while your hypocritical ass was acting all pompous about how you're too good for these newcomers.

I loved the fake out because it was so realistic and happened exactly like a potential nightmare where all the worse things that could happen.... DID! Including the "Stupid Twins" capturing Donna's daughter, Cami, and selling her off as a Rich Man's Party Surprise.

By the end, I think we were all thinking "Just why did Ben have to save that ungrateful fuck?" I'm glad Ben let him die and I believe Ryn knows what Ben did to protect her, "Ben is love"!

Edited by Jacks-Son
I'm only human and can't spell
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

What pissed me off about Brian(?) was that while he was in the midst of his hissy fit about the Pownalls, and should have been on the lookout during the sacred ceremony, HE was the one who had the Doctor implant one of Ryn's fertilized eggs in his girlfriend!!!! So, the hated Pownalls brought you a full blood to get your girlfriend pregnant while your hypocritical ass was acting all pompous about how you're too good for these newcomers.

Maybe this is why Brian(?) broke off from the main group, there will be less questions when his wife gives birth to a full mermaid.

13 minutes ago, AnimeMania said:

Maybe this is why Brian(?) broke off from the main group, there will be less questions when his wife gives birth to a full mermaid.

Not sure the proper protocol here, if there is even one, but whose baby is it?  It was Ryn's egg along with beard's sperm that fertilized that egg, by all rights, shouldn't that be Ryn's baby?  What right does Brian (?) have to the embryo?

And do they know anything about full blood mermaids and if this baby is going to be able to live on land without ever getting to go to the ocean? or if they take her to the ocean, it's not like they can go swimming with her into the depths or anything... 

It's a stupid idea and I expect it will create some mega drama next season that will hopefully end with Ryn getting her baby back.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, roctavia said:

It's a stupid idea and I expect it will create some mega drama next season that will hopefully end with Ryn getting her baby back.

Without getting all of the stretchmarks that might turn Ben and Maddie off during their three-ways.

I'm confused.  Helen , Rick, and Beth are all Pownalls.  I kind of remember, that their Pownall ancestor was a Charles Pownall.  Was he the one who fathered a child by a full blood mermaid and subsequently slaughtered a colony because the child was disfigured?  How is Helen a Pownall?  Is her branch a direct descendant of the disfigured hybrid?

16 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Yes, I believe so.

Thanks.  Helen, Rick, and "ShadyAF Beth" came out reasonably okay, with no major flaws except a penchance for kidnapping combined with an overall skeevy personailty. So, a Ryn-Ben hybrid could survive, provided they can't extract the embryo from Lurch's girlfriend.

But that's not going to help Ryn's people. So, the only way I see things can work, is the Siren's need to come out to the world but under their control. No humans around to twist the truth. Go before the United Nations and beg for sovereignty

Edited by Jacks-Son
10 hours ago, roctavia said:

And do they know anything about full blood mermaids and if this baby is going to be able to live on land without ever getting to go to the ocean? or if they take her to the ocean, it's not like they can go swimming with her into the depths or anything... 

I think that baby will either claw its way out or eat its way out....either way I see it not being a birth that they are hoping it to be.

Either way I am still waiting for us to meet an actual Half breed and what all they inherent. 

Edited by Primal Slayer
1 hour ago, Primal Slayer said:

I think that baby will either claw its way out or eat its way out....either way I see it not being a birth that they are hoping it to be.

Yeah, I don't see any kind of normal birth of a full blood from a human. I don't think they thought this out very carefully.

7 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

Yeah, I don't see any kind of normal birth of a full blood from a human. I don't think they thought this out very carefully.

Not having met a full blood before, shouldn't the hybrids have, I don't know, maybe asked Ryn what's childbirth like BEFORE they steal an embryo and insert it into a hybrid. They're used to hybrid births and have no clue what  a full blood birthing can do to the mother.

• Love 1