Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E07: In The Middle

• Start Topic

Mariana's app gets an accelerated launch timeline that puts stress on her and her team, especially when Gael lands a potential new opportunity that conflicts with a big presentation; Callie finds herself in the middle of a power struggle.

I am just going to snark a little and say that the synopsis should say that Callie PUTS herself in the middle of a power struggle. Because her m.o. is to get involved on things that are none of her business, or try to take the lead on things that already have a leader.

• Love 3

Callie has been super annoying lately, but I still felt really bad for her in that scene where she saw everyone else making fun of her. That is rough to hear, especially to see your sister joining in. And this time the issue at work isn't really her fault.  It is hard when you report to two people who are not in sync.

I am very curious what really happened with Evan and Amanda. I feel like Amanda was credible, but also that Evan was honest with his reference to people not having the facts.

Could they have come up with a more contrived reason for Gael to find out Jamie bought his art?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, KaveDweller said:

Callie has been super annoying lately, but I still felt really bad for her in that scene where she saw everyone else making fun of her. That is rough to hear, especially to see your sister joining in. And this time the issue at work isn't really her fault.  It is hard when you report to two people who are not in sync.

I am very curious what really happened with Evan and Amanda. I feel like Amanda was credible, but also that Evan was honest with his reference to people not having the facts.

Could they have come up with a more contrived reason for Gael to find out Jamie bought his art?

Working from the bottom of your post- Gael had no business looking in Jaime’s closet. He had the thumb drive, that’s not his house, he’s not even friends with Jaime.

While I did feel sorry for Callie I think this is a good example of why you shouldn’t read other peoples communications. She knew that wasn’t her computer- if the dings bothered her mute it or turn it off. Not everything is meant for everyone’s ears/eyes and now she cannot un-see what she saw. I don’t think she should move in with Jaime. They haven’t been dating that long AND with the unequal salaries it’s a weird power dynamic, that’s always going to be HIS place. No this issue going on at work is NOT her fault. 

Im so disappointed in Davia and Dennis but GOOD she ended things with what’s his name. He had no right to get mad at her when he was the one cheating on his wife, and was using her as an excuse to end his marriage. Bye bye. Why can’t Davia and Dennis be friends????

• Love 4

I have a feeling Dennis does not feel the same way toward Davia. 

I loved Alice in this episode, she's so much better without her partner. 

I know Gael works with Marianna but that's the first time we've seen him involved in her work storyline. 

Amanda got fired when that other jerk worked for the company. Maybe Evan thinks she quit and Amanda thinks he fired her ??? Idk. I just hope they don't make Evan into a bad guy. 

• Love 4

I wasn't a fan of this episode.  

The writers turned Dennis into this inscrutable character, when over the last couple of episodes we have been seeing him wear his heart on his sleeve.  Makes me wonder if there is something going on that we will find out about next week or something.  It didn't track with the story we've seen so far.  Regardless, I'm still rooting for those crazy kids.

I don't see Evan being a bad guy here.  Maybe the woman who is his second in command did something shady?  Or some other kind of miscommunication.  

Callie has become my least favorite character on the show.

• Love 2

I was confused about Gael working on Mariana's team, because I thought there was an episode where it became a thing where she was going to only hire women. Also, I don't remember ever seeing him work with her. AND I was surprised that he called her a friend. I guess they do live together at the Coterie, but I never really saw them as friends.

I'm unclear why he's pissed off about Jaime buying the artwork. Was Callie supposed to tell him? Why?

I guess his snooping and Callie's snooping were more or less equivalent. But I think Callie feeling betrayed by Mariana is more legit than Gael being upset about the art. And what a blow it will be to him when he finds out his boyfriend paid for that good review! I feel bad for him, because I also don't like sneakiness and lying. But it's not like they were trying to hurt him. They were trying to help. And Mariana really was being nasty to Callie, so I feel like Callie's hurt is more legitimate.

I thought Alice meddling was a big mistake, and kind of juvenile. I like her, usually. But she really got ahead of herself with that.

Of course, Dennis and Davia are also adults, and responsible for whatever messes they make or suggestions they take. But still-- Alice could be a better friend by not meddling, and just being there to listen and be supportive.

I have to admit that I don't get why Davia likes Dennis so much. He's not very giving. He barely communicates. He's needy and sullen and she doesn't really trust him or respect the way he handles his issues-- like when he didn't want to join that support group, and that she had Alice confiscate his mini-fridge and lie to him-- Davia and Dennis are not in a healthy friendship. I don't actually think he's good for her, and she's not really good for herself, either in this situation. He makes her feel needed, but is that really enough? I'd like to see her with someone who treats her well, and who she can trust and doesn't feel the need to supervise and control; it's sad that she doesn't think that's possible. She's either the mistress or the nursemaid? Sad.

I like Evan and I really want him not to be a bad guy. But whatever did or did not happen with Amanda, he does need to have some boundaries at work and not lean so hard on Mariana for dating help while simultaneously putting her under incredible pressure with a deadline. 

I just feel like if he was like this in general, people would be talking shit about him all the time. There's never been any gossip about him making unreasonable deadlines before, has there? What is going on?

Malika's situation... countdown to explosion....

Callie's work situation: I kind of like her coworkers, and I wish they got as much airtime and development as Mariana's do. Her bosses? Well, for once Callie isn't the one acting out and making trouble, but yeah-- that's going to explode soon, too.

• Love 3

Callie really can be a pain and seems to be the roommate least close to everyone, but I felt bad for her when she read everyone making fun of her. Not only were they talking crap behind her back, they had a whole making fun of Callie chat going! Davia was doing a whole bit! Thats why you never look at someones stuff!

Speaking of not poking around in other peoples stuff, I dont feel bad for Gael finding his picture in Jamie's apartment. Not only should it not be a big deal (Jamie just liked the thing! How dare he!) but he should never have been rummaging around in his stuff, especially after he already found the disc. Its also yet another case of Callie putting Gaels feelings before Jamie's, and eventually he is going to notice this pattern and realize that Callie isn't fully invested in them.

So what is going on with Davia and Dennis? He was acting weird all episode, is he just clamping up after he and Davia had their song and Davia kind of brushed it off as "acting" or whatever. I think that he might also have feelings for her, but now might not be the best time for him to start a relationship. He just got out of the hospital for being suicidal! I am glad that Davia dumped Jeff though. All of his problems are his fault, no one made him have an affair or leave his wife. Yeah Davia shouldn't have slept with a married man, but it takes two to tango, Jeff.

I like Callies new co-workers, I wish we saw more of them. Its nice to have people working with Callie who dont either see her as their biggest competition or worship her. Her new boss seems kind of off to me. 

I really hope Evan isn't the bad guy in this Amanda situation, I dont think  he is though. I suspect that Evan took an interest in Amanda's App or like with Mariana she talked with him when most people dont and he kind of latched onto her a bit, and when they started getting close, the HR lady freaked out and thought that there relationship could be misconstrued or that Amanda would try to get something out of him and fired her, giving Evan a different story. She was the who freaked out on Mariana when she just talked to Evan about her App idea on the first day after all. I dont trust her at all. Or maybe something really was misunderstood, because Evan struggles with social cues? 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Callie really can be a pain and seems to be the roommate least close to everyone, but I felt bad for her when she read everyone making fun of her. Not only were they talking crap behind her back, they had a whole making fun of Callie chat going! Davia was doing a whole bit! Thats why you never look at someones stuff!

Speaking of not poking around in other peoples stuff, I dont feel bad for Gael finding his picture in Jamie's apartment. Not only should it not be a big deal (Jamie just liked the thing! How dare he!) but he should never have been rummaging around in his stuff, especially after he already found the disc. Its also yet another case of Callie putting Gaels feelings before Jamie's, and eventually he is going to notice this pattern and realize that Callie isn't fully invested in them.

Exactly. Never snoop! It never ends well! People have moments of weakness and that's okay, but people's worst instincts are not what anyone should see.

The art thing was way too contrived. Of course if it's in a closet, it looks like an ulterior motive, but it wasn't!

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I really hope Evan isn't the bad guy in this Amanda situation, I dont think  he is though. I suspect that Evan took an interest in Amanda's App or like with Mariana she talked with him when most people dont and he kind of latched onto her a bit, and when they started getting close, the HR lady freaked out and thought that there relationship could be misconstrued or that Amanda would try to get something out of him and fired her, giving Evan a different story. She was the who freaked out on Mariana when she just talked to Evan about her App idea on the first day after all. I dont trust her at all. Or maybe something really was misunderstood, because Evan struggles with social cues? 

I don’t think Evan is the bad guy, even after being fired what Amanda said didn’t paint him in a light that he did anything in appropriate. I think it may come out that the HR woman had Amanda fired and told Evan that she (Amanda) was being inappropriate (or spreading rumors about him) which she wasn’t doing, just to get Amanda out of the way. That other woman is strangely protective of Evan, like he is her golden star and she’s a skeevy manager that doesn’t want him to have any other people to clue him in. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Speaking of not poking around in other peoples stuff, I dont feel bad for Gael finding his picture in Jamie's apartment. Not only should it not be a big deal (Jamie just liked the thing! How dare he!) but he should never have been rummaging around in his stuff, especially after he already found the disc.

I agree Gael shouldn't have been looking around, but I think something caught his eye when he walked by his closet, and so he was taking a closer look. He may have subconsciously recognized it or something.

But it really shouldn't be a big deal, because Jamie didn't just buy it to be nice, and a sale is a sale. At least ask about it before getting all pissed.

I'm guessing they are setting it up for Callie to leave the Coterie at the end of the season (which is already next week?). She and Mariana have been fighting, she sees the other woman making fun of her, and now Gael is going to be angry at her. Then I'm sure she'll have to go back when things with Jamie blow up.

• Love 1

As much as I dislike Callie, I too felt sorry for her reading that chat. I also thought it was out of character for Mariana to simply be in the chat and not say anything about the mocking.  They have been fighting but it was like she never saw that, or completely forgot about it afterwards. And while reading other people's screen is something that can backfire, Callie could have seen that just by logging in herself. The chat was a Coterie thing, all the residents were listed. But then again, she is never very involved with the other residents, she says it is like family but she is the most detached one.

Almost all the stories seemed a little teenage-y to me. The way Marian yelled at Evan, the way Callie's bosses were competing with each other, the reactions. Kind of boring.

Gael's reaction was ridiculous. He made a bunch of assumptions in his head and is demanding some sort of explanation. 

Damn, Mariana. I know you're stressed over his crazy deadlines/requests, but did you really need to rip Evan's heart out and stomp on it? First, mentioning the personal life, then going in for the kill with Amanda. Poor guy looked crushed. He's probably hanging out in his swing buried in magnetic bullets.

I don't think it's going to happen, but I'll be pissed if they turn Evan into the bad guy. He's said before that he doesn't like to deal with administrative issues, so I'm betting that Josh and/or Angela had something to do with the whole fired/quit situation. 

Spoiler

New character. I wonder if this means Angela is following Josh out the door.

The one thing I found odd is that Amanda said she was allowed to keep her app. That's the opposite of what Evan told Mariana when she was going to quit. Did they just add that clause to the employee contract after Amanda? I love the Evan/Mariana relationship, so I really hope things get cleared up next week and they can get back to good. Evan needs someone he can trust.

Gael should be fired.

I'm really disappointed that Malika joined in the mean girls chat. Callie's been a friend and was quick to forgive her for stealing her badge and Malika turns around and talks shit about her. Not cool! Mariana should know better. You can talk shit about your own family, but you don't join in when other people do it. You shut it down.

I'm bummed that we only have one episode left. I wonder how long it will be until the second half of the season.

• Love 4

No, I agree. Collective living doesn't necessarily mean EVERYTHING is shared. What's the big deal, anyway? Maybe the mug has sentimental value for her. Maybe she just really wants to drink out of her special mug as a calming ritual. What do they care why she wants to have her own mug?

• Love 3

Maybe after years in foster care and living with multiple siblings after, Callie just wants to have her OWN stuff.  Wanting your own cup should not have caused this level of bitchiness from the others.  While I generally find Callie tiresome,  I am on Callie's side on this one.  

• Love 8

I think it’s perfectly reasonable for Callie to want her own mug. This is an instance of them just picking on her for other reasons; “bitch eating crackers”- as in you don’t like someone and thus you criticize the way they eat crackers. I think Mariana should’ve stood up for her. 

• Love 2

Seriously they basically are all surprised  like she’s acting one mug is a big deal but the fact that they can’t stop crossing the one boundary she has is crazy.  It like they take pleasure in using it because she asked them not too.  When someone asks you not to do something and you keep doing it to annoy them, it doesn’t make you easy going.  It means you are a jerk.  It’s a dollar mug, buy another one.  

• Love 4

I don't like Callie and, personally, I never cared about sharing things like a mug but yes, if you ask someone not to use something you have an attachment to, it should be easy to respect that. It is not big deal, even if you disagree and find it ridiculous. Just fucking respect the request. 

I guess it was a silly plot to develop a story where Callie would leave the Coterie. IMO, the writers kind of lost the sense of the character and needed a reboot. Callie never quite fit in with the other residents anyway 

• Love 1

Yeah, I totally get the mug issue. Sometimes, you DO want something of your own and it shouldn't be a big deal. I'm ok with Callie drama with the Coterie, because it beats Callie drama with guys, or Callie drama with work. I'd seriously take Callie roommate drama, because it allows a bit more of a balance with Callie vs the rest. Living with people, especially that many people, must be rough at points. I lived with four other people and that could be rough. 

I get bitching about that one roommate with others because, well, sometimes you just need to let off steam. But I think the Coterie group took it a bit too far. I think Callie is better off finding her own place. I don't think communal living is for her anymore, especially since she's had to live in similar settings for a lot of her life. I think she'd thrive better with her own place with maybe one other roommate. She can still visit Mariana whenever. 

I'm still into Dennis/Davia but right now is the worst time for Dennis to get into a relationship. He still hasn't been dealing with his depression. He's been avoiding getting some actual help and he's so dependent on Davia. I think it would be bad for Davia to get into a relationship with Dennis now as well. 

I am glad Davia broke things off with Jeff. Hopefully it's for good.

I'm interested in the Evan/Amanda situation. I feel like it goes beyond just Evan and Amanda; I bet Josh and Angela have something to do with it. The way Amanda said that Evan would have had to know and had a hand in her firing makes me think that maybe he didn't get the whole story himself, or he was manipulated/used by Angela for some reason. Angela seems protective of Evan but not necessarily in a genuine way. She lied to Mariana about Amanda quitting for a reason.

That being said, Evan does need to realize that his behaviour with his employees may be getting close to crossing boundaries. He seems to genuinely not understand, but nobody has sat him down to tell him this. He literally needs another friend who doesn't work for him. 

....hey, maybe Jamie can be that friend! No, seriously, I am desperate for Jamie to have some connections outside of Callie. 

We finally get Gael interacting with another character not named Callie! I will say that I'm digging his haircut. It's easy to forget that he works in the same place as Mariana because they never really show him there.