Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E04: The Winner Takes It All

• Start Topic

An impending funeral stirs up old feelings for Maya. Haroon pressures Kash to consider an arranged marriage. Gemma makes a difficult parenting decision. Duffy and Tabby take a big step in their relationship.

Dropping on Hulu on Wednesday, July 31, 2019.

Binged today, as well, and LOVED it!   This is the kind of show that I want to see.  I am over the graphic, edgy shows.  I have tried and tried and tried many Netflix and Hulu originals that I have stopped because of violence, gratuitous sex, and overall darkness.  This show reminded me of Love Actually, which in my opinion is one of the best movies ever made.  

I am so excited for the next episode!!!

• Love 9

I binged all the episodes yesterday, I'm excited for the rest of the season too. I'm a drama, dark, gritty show person, but I love this show. It's cute and uplifting.

I hope Maya and Gemma become friends.  I  don't understand how Maya kissed Duffy? She showed NO sign that she liked him throughout the four episodes. And I am so glad that Maya didn't pursue anything with Kash, and I truly hope she doesn't. Good on her for not breaking girl code. 

Edited by hh15
  • Love 5

I don't understand the Maya/Duffy kiss either unless it was just her reaction to him declaring his love for her.  Maybe it was a reaction and they'll realize that there's no chemistry between them and move on.  Duffy was crazy to break up with the teacher (can't remember her name), she genuinely liked him enough to read his 1,400 page book! Then even took a chance by giving him real and honest feedback, something none of his friends had done. 

• Love 6
16 hours ago, CoolMom said:

I don't understand the Maya/Duffy kiss either unless it was just her reaction to him declaring his love for her.  

I think this is exactly what happened. They were all kind of reeling from the funeral thinking about that someone who’d make them better etc., and for her thinking of her mom and funeral. I think she was sad and lonely and when Duffy showed up declaring his love it was just what she needed in that moment. I don’t think she’s romantically interested in him at all, and I hope that they’ll both realize the kiss was a mistake with Duffy finally moving past his school boy crush on her. 

• Love 3

Awww, poor Harvey the dog missed Quentin too! As someone who loves animals, I'm glad they also included Harvey's reaction to Quentin's death. Pets mourn too.

Tabby was a nice girl and I liked that she was confident enough to be honest with Duffy about the shortcomings of his 1400 (!) page book, but I knew things wouldn't last between them. He was clearly not interested in her in the earlier episodes when she was dropping all kinds of hints. The only reason he finally asked her out was because Craig told him that he had to grow up and get over his decade long crush on Maya.

I was surprised when Maya kissed him too, but I hope it was so they would both realize that there's nothing more than friendship between them.

Gemma can be a pill, but I felt bad for her when Quentin's parents took over and making all the decisions, from the funeral arrangements to when Giles should return to school. I was glad when she finally decided to do what she wanted instead of caving in to them. I get that he was their son and they have family traditions but they were totally disregarding her and excluding her input.

It was nice to see Marcus not be a total ass so I guess he's not completely heartless.

I'm glad this episode didn't have as much focus on Ainsley. I don't dislike her, but the first few episodes focused so much on her (understandably due to the whole getting left at the altar and its aftermath). It was nice to give the other characters more time.

I was surprised that Kash let his dad pressure him into considering an arranged marriage. I liked that he and Fatima got along but I was glad when Kash told the iman that he was definitely not ready to commit to marriage after one walk at the mall. No need to rush into a lifelong commitment (again).

• Love 1

I binged all four eps and while I think it started our a little rough, I am enjoying it a lot.  It gets better as it goes on.  I am enjoying the heck out of it.

And in this one I have tumbled into full on team Gemma.  I've always like her as a character and the actress does a great job giving her that bitchy yet somehow still ok thing.  And I loved the glimpses of her marriage with Quentin, but this one she came into her own.  I hate to say 'great funeral' but it was.

Maya and Duffy:  Ok, if they decide to go there, I am hoping it is just to get Maya out of Duffy's system once and for all.  They don't have any chemistry (that I can tell up to now) and it feels like Maya just went in for the kiss because she felt sad, not because she suddenly realized she has feelings for Duffy.  So I don't see any future for them.  But for him to move on, he has to shoot his shot or else she will always be the one he pines for.

I like the Fatima character and I love Kash's chaperone/wing man.  He lights up every scene he is on.

Yay, Marcus showed a little humanity.

• Love 3

I binged four episodes of this today, first time in a long time I've done that. I groaned a bit at the obviousness of Episode 1, but the cast and the overall vibe have sucked me in. Like someone else said, it has a definite feel of Love, Actually (more than Four Weddings IMO).  

Quentin was growing on me, so I'm really sorry to see him go. Gemma now seems more real; previously her character seemed a bit cartoony snob. Great to see Patricia Hodge as Quentin's mother (and Andie MacDowell as Ainsley's!)

I'll be looking forward to this one.

• Love 1
On 8/5/2019 at 12:24 PM, hh15 said:

I hope Maya and Gemma become friends.  I  don't understand how Maya kissed Duffy? She showed NO sign that she liked him throughout the four episodes. And I am so glad that Maya didn't pursue anything with Kash, and I truly hope she doesn't. Good on her for not breaking girl code. 

Yeah, kissing Duffy had me baffled. It seemed pretty out of left field.

On 8/8/2019 at 2:15 PM, DearEvette said:

I binged all four eps and while I think it started our a little rough, I am enjoying it a lot.  It gets better as it goes on.  I am enjoying the heck out of it.

And in this one I have tumbled into full on team Gemma.  I've always like her as a character and the actress does a great job giving her that bitchy yet somehow still ok thing.  And I loved the glimpses of her marriage with Quentin, but this one she came into her own.  I hate to say 'great funeral' but it was.

Maya and Duffy:  Ok, if they decide to go there, I am hoping it is just to get Maya out of Duffy's system once and for all.  They don't have any chemistry (that I can tell up to now) and it feels like Maya just went in for the kiss because she felt sad, not because she suddenly realized she has feelings for Duffy.  So I don't see any future for them.  But for him to move on, he has to shoot his shot or else she will always be the one he pines for.

I like the Fatima character and I love Kash's chaperone/wing man.  He lights up every scene he is on.

Yay, Marcus showed a little humanity.

I like that they're layering Gemma and I think she will grow to be a character I like (I'm already half way there). I think she's been brittle because she's so insecure and lonely. Her moments with her son at the end were lovely. I also liked the mother in law giving her the tiny bit of support about the boarding school (and a call back, clearly it was her husband who filled up the son's bags with those candies).

• Love 1
On 8/5/2019 at 12:24 PM, hh15 said:

I  don't understand how Maya kissed Duffy? She showed NO sign that she liked him throughout the four episodes.

I could see her giving Duffy a hug, but not a kiss (other than a small peck) -- he's a jerk who just dumped another woman and he's shown no reason why he "loves" Maya.  He strikes me as a prime example of a Nice Guy, one who feels he "deserves" Maya's love just because he's longed for (not loved) her for so long.

On 8/7/2019 at 6:28 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I was glad when she finally decided to do what she wanted instead of caving in to them. I get that he was their son and they have family traditions but they were totally disregarding her and excluding her input.

Sorry, but that was so bogus, it pulled me out of the scene.  There's no way Gemma could have arranged the jerseys and the drinks in the short time she had and in secret.

• Love 1
On 8/30/2019 at 10:29 AM, jhlipton said:

There's no way Gemma could have arranged the jerseys and the drinks in the short time she had and in secret.

I don't live in the UK so I'm not familiar with how much stock they keep in stores, but I know that in the United States you can go to the official team store at the stadium and easily buy that many shirts at one time. There were only ten rows of seats in the chapel and 10-15 people per row so buying 150 shirts would be doable.

4w2.thumb.jpg.302e272c0100a056c8799894ffa0b85e.jpg

The glasses were not full so she could have easily bought a case of liquor at the UK equivalent of Cost Co or BevMo. Heh, of course, I'm also basing this on the fact that I remember having to buy a lot of stuff at the last minute for various events in college. Sometimes we would stop and buy a shitload of stuff on the way to the actual event.

4w1.thumb.jpg.90b3089f2b87412551eac44cdac87a64.jpg

• Love 2