Type keyword(s) to search

Naked And Afraid - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I thought the “Battle of the Sexes” premise was pretty silly.  You could say that for pretty much any episode of this show.   

For a 2 hour episode I like the format of having 2 teams/4 people to watch instead of 2 people for 2 hours.  I liked all involved here - I was rather impressed with Cheeny who at one point said something like this challenge wasn’t hard enough as opposed to the many who have said they didn’t think it wasn’t going to be this difficult. 

Again, in Africa.   When the hippie dude was going to his blind I thought about Max and his blind from last week, would be funny if they ran into each other there but I know the show doesn’t do stuff like that.  They must have been filming around the same time though. 

Edited by Cobb Salad
  • Love 5

Chenny (Air Force woman) got on my nerves in the very beginning, in her introduction.  But she grew on me.  I liked that she was willing to help her partner,  but not at her own expense.

The guys were good; no bullshit.

You think those terrapins heard the screams of their brethren and got the hell outta town?

• LOL 3
On 4/4/2022 at 11:18 AM, HurricaneVal said:

One thing that always frustrates me is some duos immediately make shoes, and are seemingly more successful than those that don't.  I can't remember which duo it was, but one gal made some pretty professional looking flip-flops that made a real difference in their survival.  Why....even when it is demonstrated that their feet are particularly vulnerable, do they not prioritize making shoes?  I saw shoe-making last night, but it seemed a little late, and the designs didn't look to be all that successful.  Oh well.

This episode was definitely refreshing after last week.  Max is a great guy.  The contrast was amazing.

I love Max!  He's all kinds of awesome. I think they said his PSR is 9.8.  Has anyone ever gotten a perfect 10?  I could totally see Max getting that, and then some haha.  Move over Stephen, Jake, there's a new guy in town.  Or should i sing 'welcome to the jungle' hah!  That's so old, mybad heh

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
23 hours ago, Cobb Salad said:

Cheeny ...said something like this challenge wasn’t hard enough as opposed to the many who have said they didn’t think it wasn’t going to be this difficult. 

I missed that, but she certainly had a take charge attitude.  When she merged with the guys, she was quickly issuing orders, and bless the guy's hearts, they welcomed her direction.  It demonstrates how important accepting the direction of others is, rather than pouting about not getting your way.  The guys were both pretty well humbled by the time they merged.

When Cheeny told Rebel she had things to consider about her health, it seemed like Cheeney felt overworked and was trying to lighten her load by getting Rebel out of the picture.  Bless Rebel's heart, she kept collecting firewood, as she suffered. 

Those turtles really confused me.  It seems that if they left the pond they must know about another pond to populate.

It is starting to occur to me that production guides the participants in their decision about what personal survival item to bring.  I don't recall any time that both brought the same item, and in this episode each pair started with a machete and a hunting/fishing tool.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Liberty said:

It is starting to occur to me that production guides the participants in their decision about what personal survival item to bring.  I don't recall any time that both brought the same item, and in this episode each pair started with a machete and a hunting/fishing tool.

I have no doubt you are correct.  I also suspect that production often places a piece of protein where the contestants will find it on day 19 or 20.  And if they look at the rudimentary map and start wandering off in the wrong direction in search of extraction or another team, someone behind the camera motions for them in what direction they should be going.

• Love 6
10 hours ago, AZChristian said:

I have no doubt you are correct.  I also suspect that production often places a piece of protein where the contestants will find it on day 19 or 20.  And if they look at the rudimentary map and start wandering off in the wrong direction in search of extraction or another team, someone behind the camera motions for them in what direction they should be going.

Amen to all of that.  Way too many times, a form of protein shows up on day 19 or 20.  Not every time, but enough to make me think it's planted.  Just like I think the producers released the turtle in the first (I think) XL when Jeff and EJ were catching all those eels plus caught the turtle.

I've often wondered if there is someone besides the camera operators following them during extraction, guiding them where to go.  Because that rudimentary map isn't very detailed.  Also, alerting the truck/boat/plane - whatever is picking them up - that they will be at the spot in 5 minutes,  so the vehicle always shows about 30 seconds after they get there.

• Love 4
On 4/12/2022 at 4:53 PM, madmax said:

I've often wondered if there is someone besides the camera operators following them during extraction,.....alerting the truck/boat/plane - whatever is picking them up - that they will be at the spot in 5 minutes,  so the vehicle always shows about 30 seconds after they get there.

I used to wonder how that happened on schedule.

• Love 1
On 4/12/2022 at 7:53 PM, madmax said:

Amen to all of that.  Way too many times, a form of protein shows up on day 19 or 20.  Not every time, but enough to make me think it's planted.  Just like I think the producers released the turtle in the first (I think) XL when Jeff and EJ were catching all those eels plus caught the turtle.

I've often wondered if there is someone besides the camera operators following them during extraction, guiding them where to go.  Because that rudimentary map isn't very detailed.  Also, alerting the truck/boat/plane - whatever is picking them up - that they will be at the spot in 5 minutes,  so the vehicle always shows about 30 seconds after they get there.

I'm sure they have guidance during extraction.  I have never seen anyone get lost during their extraction hike.  I think they also are helped finding the place they are meant to stay for 21 days.

• Love 4
21 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I'm sure they have guidance during extraction.  I have never seen anyone get lost during their extraction hike.  I think they also are helped finding the place they are meant to stay for 21 days.

And if you watch close enough, sometimes you can see the already tread down grass in front of them. They are following a pre-made path out of there.

• Love 4

Can't remember all the names so...

Episode 1:  Good job on her for lasting 17 days without her partner.  He didn't give it much of a chance, I don't think.  Seems like he expected to get food all the time and get a full night's sleep every night.  Did he not watch the show?

Episode 2:  If I heard Andrew mention that damn tribe one more time...  Rissa was a better person than me.  He totally didn't listen to her and I'm glad he got sick from that nasty honey.

• Love 4

Yeah, in the first episode they had it pretty easy regarding the shelter since they could repurpose one of the structures from the abandoned settlement.  With how long this show has been airing I’m tired of these people who show up seemingly ramped up to do the 21 days then tap after a few days because they’re so tired/hungry/didn’t expect this to be so hard.  Then you get the people who keep coming back for more.  

Andrew and that nasty honey - it was making me sick looking at it, I can’t imagine how it was being there actually looking at it and seeing the bees floating around in it.  He got on my nerves too and I’m wondering what else was said between him and Rissa that we didn’t see since it looked like they barely tolerated each other.  

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

With how long this show has been airing I’m tired of these people who show up seemingly ramped up to do the 21 days then tap after a few days because they’re so tired/hungry/didn’t expect this to be so hard.  Then you get the people who keep coming back for more.  

This is what I don't get.  It's not like it's the first season.  This show has been on for years.  They have to know what to expect.  And they're taking a spot from someone who might have made it the 21 days.

I know things are different when you're in them, but how many of them say "I didn't think it would be this hard!!!" when the show has been showing how hard it is for almost 10 years!

• Love 3

Marissa was really tough in her dedication to the challenge.  Gabriel was a real case, another "I'm ready for this" until reality hits.  Hope his drag dancing act gets more business after his exposure.  Somehow this dance gig got more coverage than his geology background. Funny how it seems like a couple of people every season seem to want to plug their business on the "Everest of Survival Challenges" and the producers let them.  

I think Rizza and Andrew got plenty of coaching on their extraction to be forced through that Labyrinth of volcanic rock they navigated at the end of their journey.  The geology was really something.

The seventh day off thing was really something, would have liked to the day 14, and of course day 21's sabbath observance.  Somehow, I doubt the tribe Andrew spent time with took one out of every seven days off.  

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Liberty said:

The seventh day off thing was really something, would have liked to the day 14, and of course day 21's sabbath observance.  Somehow, I doubt the tribe Andrew spent time with took one out of every seven days off.  

I forgot about that!  If he was taking every seventh day off, then his ass should have been sitting during extraction.

• Love 2

Yeah, that strict observance of the Sabbath thing kind of came on sort of conveniently, didn't it?  Had he made any indication prior to that which would show that he was such a devout Jew?  The fact that it was tied to religion made it such that his partner couldn't question it without looking like an intolerant jerk herself.  She was stuck doing everything while he just laid there, resting and napping.  It was not a good look.  Did he even offer for her to have a "day of rest" where she could lay about like a queen and let him do all the work?

The honey was a great find, but not such a great thing in the end.  Was it really the melted resin mingled in the honey that was bringing the sickness, or maybe the type of honey that particular type of bee makes isn't compatible with human consumption?  I'm only familiar with the usual type of honey made from the usual type of honeybee that I can buy at the grocery store or farmer's market, so I have no clue.  I know honey itself is amazing--it truly does have antibiotic and preservative properties and he was right, it should have been a "safe" food.  But it really wasn't.  I can't believe he went on his grand honey hunt with absolutely zero plans of what to do with it, how to store it, etc.  Each of them looked ludicrous sitting there in turn holding up that leaf filled with honey.  She, in particular, was looking really perturbed and so very, very done with it when she finally convinced him that the honey was contaminated and bad. 

But what a site though!  All those volcanic passages and caves....

• Love 5
5 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

The honey was a great find, but not such a great thing in the end.  Was it really the melted resin mingled in the honey that was bringing the sickness, or maybe the type of honey that particular type of bee makes isn't compatible with human consumption?  I'm only familiar with the usual type of honey made from the usual type of honeybee that I can buy at the grocery store or farmer's market, so I have no clue.  I know honey itself is amazing--it truly does have antibiotic and preservative properties and he was right, it should have been a "safe" food.  But it really wasn't.  I can't believe he went on his grand honey hunt with absolutely zero plans of what to do with it, how to store it, etc.  Each of them looked ludicrous sitting there in turn holding up that leaf filled with honey.  She, in particular, was looking really perturbed and so very, very done with it when she finally convinced him that the honey was contaminated and bad. 

But what a site though!  All those volcanic passages and caves....

I did a quick web search for types of honey and anything I found didn’t include anything like “don’t eat honey if it includes this …” so who knows what the problem was.  We’ve seen other Naked and Afraid participants find bee hives and successfully get honey before with no issues later.  This stuff just didn’t look right.  Then there was that baby bird that died then they ate.  I guess if you’re hungry enough you’ll eat just about anything but that bird?  Uh, no.  I’d keep looking around for something else.

• Love 3

I knew that poor little baby bird was going to die. The mother would not have abandoned it if they had just tied the nest back up into the tree. Birds don’t abandon their young because they can smell human on them. They actually do not have a great sense of smell. A wild bird MIGHT abandon a nest of eggs if a human keeps disturbing them, but they do all they can to continue to raise their youngsters once hatched.

I used to raise hand fed baby parrots and know baby birds needs to be fed continually throughout the daylight hours. Not a couple smooshed up grasshopper bits doled out in pencil tip size bites, a couple times a day. No water either. What mother bird gives her baby water? They might have gotten water into its airway. They have to feed it each time till its little crop is full and bulges like a balloon and repeat that again as soon as the crop in its throat/chest area shrinks again and is near empty. If that crops not bulging, its starving. They starved that little baby by only feeding it a few bites a few times a day. If they gave it one whole grasshopper at a time with 2 hrs in between each feeding, it may have lived. Plus its featherless, less than a week old body, needed warmth at night, covered by its own mother or fathers body, or something warm. It can’t generate enough body heat for itself. It probably died from being cold, thats why she found it dead that morning.  Poor little thing starved and froze to death. 

Andrew was a real controlling jerk. Yapping on and on about the whatever tribe he once hung out with and how they did things like it was the gospel of all survival techniques and HAD to be done the way HE says so, because of the tribe blah blah blah. 
Constantly yapping like he was the teacher she never asked for. The all mighty know-it-all didn’t even give one thought that maybe Rizza had her own ideas about how she wanted to attempt to try things while nekkid and afraid for HER 21 days out there. He treated her like the help, a slave to do as he says, to shut up and not question his great tribal knowledge, as a self appointed leader of the two.

I’m glad he puked his wretched guts out and that he got stung alot while acquiring that disgusting looking honey. He used religion suddenly as an excuse to take a lazy day while informing his slave she was the one who was going to have to do all the everything that day, but did not follow his religiosity again, 7 days later, or 14 days after that. What a phony Andrew is.

Where are they getting all these compatible with no one, contestants? Its like they are screening FOR them. 

• Love 2

Re: Last night's episode.  Another fish basket???  How long do these things take to make, really?  Especially if that’s all it appears that she’s doing while sitting around.   It seemed that Nicole (?) was taking way too long.  In the meantime Diogo is pulling all the weight regarding getting food.  Hitting a squirrel then later hitting 2 birds, well done.  Those larger animals seem to always be hard to hit with an arrow since they can move so quickly.  I have a feeling if there wasn’t a language barrier there would have been a more heated argument between the two of them.  I also just don’t get how she could start that fish trap in the pond (the one with the sticks in the water) then just quit part of the way through.  You’re tired today, who knows if there will be other food to find so tomorrow you may be even more tired and hungry and less capable of finishing the job.  You need to power through.  Granted she was able to get that catfish but overall she didn’t pull enough weight IMO.  

With all the episodes in Africa I was wondering if they’re filming one right after the other or if there is some concurrent filming going on.  They’re all probably in the same general area.  

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, Cobb Salad said:

With all the episodes in Africa I was wondering if they’re filming one right after the other or if there is some concurrent filming going on.  They’re all probably in the same general area.  

That is what I have been thinking.  Also, how many Naked and Afraid programs are there--even Brazil has its own Naked and Afraid!

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Interesting to watch the contestants AND the support staff running for their lives from the elephants.  

I understand Diogo's frustration that he was having to learn to speak English with little effort from the American to learn to speak Portuguese.  To be fair, though, I suspect that more non-Americans have been exposed to and can speak a little more English than we Americans can speak foreign languages.  (Based on observations from my little bit of international travel.)  And it makes more sense to try to focus on one language or the other.  Since he already knew a bit of English, that was the logical choice.

But she sure wasn't helping with communication.  Her speech habits would have been difficult for an English-speaking person to understand.  Her incomplete sentences wound back and forth with guttural sounds that weren't even words.  

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

That is what I have been thinking.  Also, how many Naked and Afraid programs are there--even Brazil has its own Naked and Afraid!

Saw a post on Reddit about a Latin America version premiering this month.  Then there was the European version that they showed on Discovery about a year or so ago.  I think it was French?  I didn’t like watching it because it was dubbed.  One thing I did like about last nights episode was when Diogo had his talking head segment they had subtitles rather than dubs. It kind if reminds me of the international versions of “To Catch a Smuggler” that National Geographic shows all the time.  

What I’d be interested in knowing is where some of the alternate versions do their filming - say for Brazil did they go to the jungles a lot or are they going to the desert or other environments foreign to Brazil?

• Love 2

While I think Diogo had some legit reasons for being annoyed with Nicole, something about his attitude didn't sit right with me.  There's something about that what appears to be a free-wheeling hippie, off-the-grid personality type that turns into a very traditionally controlling person when partnered with someone else.  Diogo wasn't nearly as bad as that Nathan jerk from a few episodes back, but there were some moments there when I thought he was going to cross the line, but then he didn't.

Sure, Nicole could have probably done a little more than nearly completing a fish basket before she took a nap.  I get it, her energy level is low, but a partnership is a partnership.  Yes, she should have gone to get water, looked for firewood, and kept the fire going while Diogo was hunting.  That should be automatic camp support life.  I think she was in the wrong.  However, Diogo's attitude about that just rubbed me the wrong way.  It seemed more like "This is my due, woman!  You should have the camp all cozy and prepared for me to return."  Kind of like a 50's housewife is supposed to greet her husband at the door with a martini, dinner waiting on the table, and dressed to the nines.  Yes, she should have gotten water.  Yes, she should have kept the fire going.  For them both.  For the partnership, not just as his support staff.

Diogo was mercurial, he'd be all "Bah.  I am done with her.  I had to get and prepare my own water so I am going to drink it all myself"  Or "Bah.  I am done with her.  I am tired of being the only one willing to learn English.  Why won't she learn Portuguese?  I won't talk to her anymore."  Then the next scenes have him sharing the water or speaking English with her.  So he's not a total jerk, but maybe that's the stereotypical Latin temper at play there. 

Nicole....  Yeah.  She was definitely one of those "hunker down," low energy kind of survivor types.  Not only did she nap after nearly completing the fish trap basket, she never went back to work on the staked fence fish trap.  She also didn't want to go out to help Diogo when he wanted to go work on it, whining about that it was too cold, he should wait for later.  When later came, I presume she would whine that it was too hot and want to stay in the shade.  Maybe it was editing, but it sure seemed to me like she didn't really take a lot of initiative to handle routine camp life tasks like firewood, fire maintenance, and water.  Those should be elementary, and done before anything else.  Nicole did get the catfish, but Diogo was right there and he could just as easily have gotten it.  I guess I don't understand why Nicole even wanted to be on this show in the first place.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, AZChristian said:

Her speech habits would have been difficult for an English-speaking person to understand. 

Lol.. yes, I noticed Nicole had maximum mouth movement when she spoke. Maybe thats why she was so tired all the time, working those lip and mouth muscles. It would have been very hard for me to watch and listen to her talking. She was pretty darn lazy too. Then she had the nerve to go and pull a stick out of the fish trap maze that Diogo had worked on ALL day. I would have let her have it way worse than Diogos short periods of annoyance with her. He voiced his aggravation with her, mostly only to the camera men, and then was over it in record time.

She made sure to tell the cameras that making a fish trapping basket was a very loooong slooooow process before she started so as to give herself a pre-excuse for taking such a long time while also letting the fire go out and not preparing water for the pair, making sure Diogo had none to replenish himself with after walking around all day in the hot sun, hunting.

She also let him do all the building of the boma when they first got there which I found extremely rude and entitled while she took the long and slow way to retrieve some water. She wanted him to do all the “mans work”, while she hardly did even the minimal “womans work” at their camp. She was a lazy lump! 

Theres always one in the bunch! 

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

While I think Diogo had some legit reasons for being annoyed with Nicole, something about his attitude didn't sit right with me.  There's something about that what appears to be a free-wheeling hippie, off-the-grid personality type that turns into a very traditionally controlling person when partnered with someone else.  Diogo wasn't nearly as bad as that Nathan jerk from a few episodes back, but there were some moments there when I thought he was going to cross the line, but then he didn't.

Sure, Nicole could have probably done a little more than nearly completing a fish basket before she took a nap.  I get it, her energy level is low, but a partnership is a partnership.  Yes, she should have gone to get water, looked for firewood, and kept the fire going while Diogo was hunting.  That should be automatic camp support life.  I think she was in the wrong.  However, Diogo's attitude about that just rubbed me the wrong way.  It seemed more like "This is my due, woman!  You should have the camp all cozy and prepared for me to return."  Kind of like a 50's housewife is supposed to greet her husband at the door with a martini, dinner waiting on the table, and dressed to the nines.  Yes, she should have gotten water.  Yes, she should have kept the fire going.  For them both.  For the partnership, not just as his support staff.

Diogo was mercurial, he'd be all "Bah.  I am done with her.  I had to get and prepare my own water so I am going to drink it all myself"  Or "Bah.  I am done with her.  I am tired of being the only one willing to learn English.  Why won't she learn Portuguese?  I won't talk to her anymore."  Then the next scenes have him sharing the water or speaking English with her.  So he's not a total jerk, but maybe that's the stereotypical Latin temper at play there. 

Nicole....  Yeah.  She was definitely one of those "hunker down," low energy kind of survivor types.  Not only did she nap after nearly completing the fish trap basket, she never went back to work on the staked fence fish trap.  She also didn't want to go out to help Diogo when he wanted to go work on it, whining about that it was too cold, he should wait for later.  When later came, I presume she would whine that it was too hot and want to stay in the shade.  Maybe it was editing, but it sure seemed to me like she didn't really take a lot of initiative to handle routine camp life tasks like firewood, fire maintenance, and water.  Those should be elementary, and done before anything else.  Nicole did get the catfish, but Diogo was right there and he could just as easily have gotten it.  I guess I don't understand why Nicole even wanted to be on this show in the first place.

Free-wheeling hippies are not immune to becoming frustrated with certain situations. And, truly, I believe that the things Diogo said (and his attitude at certain times) were the result of hunger, lack of  sleep, and his frustration with not being able to communicate with Nicole. Usually, he seemed to wave her off, then walk away to think things out. In those cases (except one), he was able to calm himself down and then apologize to her.

I didn't see Diogo's attitude about the water and fire the same way you did, and I do tend to be sensitive to the "You woman. Me man. You provide water and cook food for man" kind of things. I saw a guy, who was out exerting himself without water, come back to a survival partner who had not done the bare minimum of survival camp maintenance. As you stated, she should have done all these things, and she was wrong for not having done them. I didn't see him as saying she didn't do these things for *him*, but that she didn't do them at all. Diogo was not out of line for expecting and assuming there would at least be fire and water when he returned. He was likely dehydrated, and had to do more work and wait an additional ~40 min for the water to boil and then cool enough for him to drink. Personally, I also would have been pissed about it, because I would have expected the camp to always have water for whoever needs it. If Nicole had done the bare minimum, he might have been able to have the needed water after a day in the sun. Hell, they might have had a fish basket, too. I will say that, when Nicole did work, she carried her weight, and Diogo gave her props for the work she did with the roof and even the fact that even though she had issues walking at the beginning of the episode, she didn't complain but kept moving.

The language barrier definitely kept things from being heated. You can't speak your mind to someone if they can't understand you. On the other hand, it is exhausting and frustrating to carry the full communication load in situations where both parties don't speak the same language. Diogo understood very little English. Nicole seemed to take that as a sign that they'd just do everything in English, and she didn't seem to try to learn any words in Portuguese. Granted, he did try to teach her phrases, and she would repeat them, but she did not know what they meant. He may as well have taught her the Portuguese equivalent of "My hovercraft is full of eels." :-D  A willingness to learn your partner's language builds good will and contributes to the teamwork. Also? It can help pass the time. Personally, I would have used the opportunity to work with Diogo by learning the Portuguese words for things in and around the camp, and learning the Portuguese equivalents for words and phrases he knew in English. But that's just me. I like learning that kind of stuff.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

Discovery is showing old Naked and Afraid episodes today - several episodes in and they haven’t shown any with anyone involved in the XL season starting tonight.   I’m disappointed since there are a few rookies there I don’t remember at all and I’d like to see their challenge.  

They’re also showing promotions for this new Discovery+ show that’s a variation of that Naked and Afraid of Love series from last year.  It looks like some Dating Game/Survivor mashup where they are posing the question about how many matchups there could be.  Apparently they’re not naked this time so I’m not getting the tie-in except for the jungle setting.  So Discovery when you’re airing Naked and Afraid are you aiming for the audience who’s interested in survivalists battling the elements or people who want to watch others hook up?  Ugh.  😡

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

My DVR recorded a "new" Naked and Afraid and it was the infamous Nathan and Molly episode.  It goes without saying that Molly deserves another chance with someone else.  And I would like to see what Nathan would do with a competent male partner.

Edited by riverblue22
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

My DVR recorded a "new" Naked and Afraid and it was the infamous Nathan and Molly episode.  It goes without saying that Molly deserves another chance with someone else.  And I would like to see what Nathan would do with a competent male partner.

I’ve been watching a lot of the reruns lately and have seen this one listed several time.  I can’t stand another rewatch mainly of that scene where he blows up at her.  Molly most definitely deserves another chance, while I’d love to see Nathan humbled I don’t think I could stand to see him again.  Maybe after reading comments from other viewers depending on how it goes.  

• Love 1

I watched a "Next Generation" episode with Waylan and Julie.  Waylan was the son of someone who had done three different challenges.  Julie's mom had done a 21 day in Colombia (I think).  I could tell right from the start that Waylan was not going to do well and sure enough, he started whining about fire ants within seconds of meeting Julie.

I'm really confused about what they were doing the two weeks.  All that was shown was Julie making a fish trap and checking it once, and trying to make a snare but having trouble finding a rock the right size.  Did she never try again?  At least she had a good enough eye to catch the frog and lizard.  What did Waylan contribute besides making fire?

I also couldn't figure out why they didn't build more of a shelter and/or bedding right from the start.  Why lie on a bare rock ledge when you have a machete and are surrounded by jungle?  They were cold every night and didn't even think about using the vegetation around them until practically the last day?

Also, I've only seen a few episodes, but why does the show make them climb into the pickup truck naked when they're extracted?  Why not give them a robe or something?  I can see not wanting to put their real clothes on until a nice long shower, but it just seems voyeuristic not to provide anything.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Frost said:

Also, I've only seen a few episodes, but why does the show make them climb into the pickup truck naked when they're extracted?  Why not give them a robe or something?  I can see not wanting to put their real clothes on until a nice long shower, but it just seems voyeuristic not to provide anything.

I think it's more to show how they survived the challenge where someone who tapped didn't.  When someone taps, they always provide them with either a robe or their clothes.  Lately, I've even seen them giving them bottles of water.

I'm sure as soon as the cameras are off, the drivers are throwing robes, water and deodorant at the ones that completed the challenge.

We just watched the episode with Julie and Ryan's son.  She got pretty testy with him when he was ready to tap, but they worked it out with more maturity than most of the "adults" on the show.  

I just couldn't figure out why they didn't pull down some leaves or pull up some grass for cushioning on the rocks they were sleeping on.  It looked from the beginning that production had chosen a relatively safe spot for them . . . covered to stay dry, water trickling right down the wall into their camp, no attacks of killer mosquitoes.  

It seems pretty obvious that younger people can do better on little sleep and almost no food than older folks can!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I think Waylan's father was Wes, a very solid Naked and Afraid participant.

You're correct.  At my age, I'm happy to remember my kids' names without googling.  I should have Googled Waylan and Wes and used their correct names.

• LOL 2

I love it when these idiots make out like they are hunters. 
Once  they realize they no longer have the clement of home, their high powered rifles with telescopic lenses  and it’s a level playing field with the animals, they show themselves to be the useless clown hunters they are. 
Fair weather ,gun loving ,egotistical wannabe heroes. 

• Like 1
  • Wink 1
  • Applause 1

An episode titeled N & A "Season 13, Episode 1" made it onto our DVR over the weekend.  IMBD lists and episode filmed in Georgia was S13 E1, so do not know how this happened.

It had 2 "All-Stars", Fernando the Fireman and Dani (NOT the chick with the stick).  This Dani is the basket weaver.

It was interesting that Fernando and Dani had reached the rank of "All-Star" rather than "Legends".  Maybe they will both be promoted to Legend after each completed their 2nd 21 day challenge, and had already completed an XL challenge.

The voice over editing was more obvious in this episode.  Production must contact the participants after they are home to record some sound bites to impose upon the video. 

5 hours ago, Liberty said:

The voice over editing was more obvious in this episode.  Production must contact the participants after they are home to record some sound bites to impose upon the video. 

I’ve noticed this numerous times on different episodes.  It sounds like it was done post challenge and the challengers were talking into a can.  

On 8/9/2022 at 6:37 AM, Liberty said:

It was interesting that Fernando and Dani had reached the rank of "All-Star" rather than "Legends".  Maybe they will both be promoted to Legend after each completed their 2nd 21 day challenge, and had already completed an XL challenge. 

They're playing fast and loose with "Legend" as opposed to "All-Star."  I thought that Legend meant you completed a couple XL challenges, but that certainly isn't the case, since they're counting Amber as a Legend.  

• LOL 1

The article mentions an episode where 2 Naked and Afraid medics attempt the 21 days - should be interesting if they end up with a situation where someone else would normally call a medic if they’d call for one right away or be able to self treat before calling for one.  

Welcome back NAA!  It was an awesome episode to start off a new season.  Two excellent yet flawed survivalists, each with their own separate skill sets and good attitudes work together, lift each other up and get to the finish line.  I do believe "Team Silly" will be lifelong friends, even if only at a distance.  One had the physical knowhow, the other had the emotional knowhow and together it was a winning combo.  Good job!  I hope they return to the US on a more enjoyable trip soon.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, suzeecat said:

Welcome back NAA!  It was an awesome episode to start off a new season.  Two excellent yet flawed survivalists, each with their own separate skill sets and good attitudes work together, lift each other up and get to the finish line.  I do believe "Team Silly" will be lifelong friends, even if only at a distance.  One had the physical knowhow, the other had the emotional knowhow and together it was a winning combo.  Good job!  I hope they return to the US on a more enjoyable trip soon.

It was a great ep to start off with!  Yep i missed the show too.  I normally didn't watch to much of 'foreign' NAA, esp when the language had to be captioned. but this was a switch with them coming here.  I loved both their accents and he cracked me up every time he would say 'Lily', Lil-lay.  They made a great match right from the get go when he said he followed her on YT. Haha.  And she was great fighting thru her hypothermia fears and getting that monster rabbit.  Woohoo NAA is back!

• Like 4

I too enjoyed watching 2 capable people get through the 21 days.  I thought it was cute how Sam told us he thinks he’s the one leaving all the likes on Lily’s YouTube videos 😊.  Kudos to him for getting her to stay - I don’t think we’ve seen that happen much.   I loved the shelter they built - it looked pretty sturdy.

• Like 4

I just watched the foursome redemption episode.  I felt bad that things started getting better right after Andrew left.  Too bad he couldn't have stuck it out for just a few more hours, he might have been able to finish. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, suzeecat said:

I just watched the foursome redemption episode.  I felt bad that things started getting better right after Andrew left.  Too bad he couldn't have stuck it out for just a few more hours, he might have been able to finish. 

I felt the same way.  But it seemed like he had just gotten to the point where he didn't have a few more hours in him.  

I enjoyed watching 4 guys working together in a way that didn't become a macho thing.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the episode overall and was happy to see at least 3 out of the 4 made it the 21 days.  I think Danny (I’m sure that was his name) was the only one to be forced out due to the weather - he was determined to make it to the end before hypothermia set in during his original challenge.  

Anyway, late in the challenge after Andrew left, Danny takes his bow and arrow to go hunting - he makes a shot then cut to break.  When the show returns they show him making his shot, it looks like he hit the animal yet it looks like it got away.  Danny did find a dead animal but I’m wondering if he was the one who made the kill or were there 2 of them there.   Did anyone else notice this?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1

Re: last night’s episode in the Kalahari Desert, boy was that woman annoying.  Her survival skills don’t include having ever killed anything so that put pressure on her partner.  There didn’t seem to be anywhere to fish since they were in the desert so who knows if she would have been ok fishing.  I didn’t like how wishy washy she was over tapping or not (well, if it rains I want to leave), while he was ready to leave it’s like a minute later she’s going to stay, but he’s still going to leave and she’s ticked off.  For the last half hour I had to mute the audio since I was tired of hearing her whining.  If Naked and Afraid Alone wasn’t on afterwards I would have changed the channel.  It’s a miracle she made it to day 21.  

• Like 5