Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E01: Pilot

Bort
  • Start Topic

Recently discharged from the British Special Air Service (SAS), Alfred Pennyworth finds himself at loose ends and endeavors to start a security company.

Airdate: Sunday, July 28, 2019

This is available early on demand.

Being American, the time frame kind of threw me, the show seems to occur right after a World War possibly in the 1960's. I am not sure how much of the landscape was real British vs. fantasy British. They created characters that were distinctive, but seemed to burn through them all in the first episode, will they be back for later episodes or are they done? The parents and Esme seemed to have loosened up a bit by the end of the episode becoming more in line with the way that the country is changing. I thought there would be more boring parts, but they managed to consistently hold my attention all the way through. Maybe Alfred should give up his no killing people policy?

• Love 4
5 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

I think I'm gonna enjoy this one! 😊 

Also @AnimeMania Batman has a no killing ppl policy, maybe Alfred influenced him somewhat? 🤷‍♂️ I like it tho, 

Since Alfred liked shooting people in the knee caps, I was thinking he might be more influenced by somebody from "Person of Interest".

• Love 1
On 7/28/2019 at 1:59 PM, call me ishmael said:

Of course, for someone with a no killing philosophy Batman has killed a lot of people...

Um, could you ring my bell on where Batman killed someone? Of course I'm not saying that by his actions he may have done so, but he does have a high moral stance in that he won't, even tho by a lot of standards he would have been justified. Eg: Joker, 

(edited)
2 hours ago, Lyanna19 said:

Um, could you ring my bell on where Batman killed someone? Of course I'm not saying that by his actions he may have done so, but he does have a high moral stance in that he won't, even tho by a lot of standards he would have been justified. Eg: Joker, 

It’s not as if he hasn’t been known to fire weapons while flying in the batwing or bringing down buildings for example.  Maybe it is unfair to assume that somewhere in these cases people were killed.  But i have always taken his claims a bit like the Federation’s Prime Directive.

Also i guess it depends on what medium we are talking about.  Deliberately Leaving Ra’s in a train about to crash into a building in Batman Begins seems a bit of a gray area to me.

Edited by call me ishmael
Had an additional thought

Okay, as a big fan of "Gotham" I was really interested in seeing how they handled the adventures of our favorite butler. So far, I'm really impressed with it. It's got a very "Avengers" feel to it. The characters are interesting and the world building is first class. The photography and music are really outstanding and the writing seems pretty solid. I like the fact that they've jettisoned the more episodic nature of the early seasons of "Gotham."

• Love 6

I enjoyed it though it was strange. The actor who plays Alfred has a very strange widow's peak; is it even real??

Is his girlfriend doomed? I don't seem to recall any mention of Alfred ever having been married.

So the bad guy's in the Tower; do they still have the block there somewhere? Very Batmanish for him to be shouting "I'll be back!".

• Useful 1

I think this is going to be a wild ride and without Gotham anymore I am totally ready for more Batman prequel fun! I've always loved Alfred in all incarnations, so I am happy to be getting a backstory for him, that is often implied but often mot gone into with a lot of detail. 

The world building is already really interesting, its got a very slick 60s vibe, but it also reminds me of Gotham in that it takes place in a fantastic anachronistic version of 60s London, where thieves are still left in the stocks at the same time there are neon street lights outside of nightclubs, much like how Gotham was kind of the entire 20th and 21st century all happening at once. 

• Love 3
17 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

The world building is already really interesting, its got a very slick 60s vibe, but it also reminds me of Gotham in that it takes place in a fantastic anachronistic version of 60s London, where thieves are still left in the stocks at the same time there are neon street lights outside of nightclubs, much like how Gotham was kind of the entire 20th and 21st century all happening at once. 

It's very Bruno Heller-ish, which makes sense since he was the Executive Producer of "Gotham" as well as this one. It also have a very "Avengers" feel to me, which was one of my favorite shows growing up in the 70's.

• Love 1

A cute bit, with the prime minister looking exactly like the guy who WAS prime minister in the late '50s and early '60s, one Harold McMillion. Also, there was mention of the war in Malaya. It was Britain's Vietnam (as were a bunch of other places.)

• Love 1

Just watched the Pilot. Watched the beginning of the episode and it was okay. A story about an ex soldier served in the war (presumably WWII) and living in London with his parents ca. 1950. So everything was normal until it got to the scene where there were gibbeting cages hanging on the streets. I was like, "WTF did gibbeting cages do in 1950s London?" Then I quickly remembered that this is Batman world, Gotham world. Silly me.

• Love 1

I'm obviously very late to the party on this one, but I just had to say that I'm enjoying it. And I may have laughed out loud at Mr. and Mrs. Pennyworth kicking the crap out of the man who had been beating up on Alfie. 

• Like 1