Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: If Only the Fool Would Persist in His Folly

• Start Topic

S01E03 If Only the Fool Would Persist in His Folly

Summary:  Jackie searches for his absent informant as Jenny searches for purpose, revisiting her passion to become a teacher. Decourcy works up a plan to overcome the town's infamous "Code of Silence" and get a few suspects to talk. Minogue is assigned a big case, but not the one he actually cares about. Jimmy skips town to visit his kids and finds that, even a thousand miles away, he's not safe from his problems back home.

Father Doyle  is cute, I smell an affair coming with him and Jenny.

Lots of familiar faces tonight.

Kathryn Erbe, Scott Winter's, Cathy Moriarty, James Remar and Gloria Reuben

Minogue is about to find out some dirt about Rev. Fields.

• Love 1
(edited)
34 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

I feel that this Kevin Bacon character is how his character from Sleepers would be if he had lived. 

You must be referring to Shaun Nokes. Boy was he a despicable character.

DeadNokes.JPG

Edited by preeya
  • Love 2
On 6/24/2019 at 5:09 PM, atlantaloves said:

Okay, I actually got into this episode, I shall make it an automatic record now. God, these people really cuss a lot, not that I mind, but is that the way people in Boston actually talk, because the people I know from that city don't act like that, but they are not southies.

Its not just Southie, its pretty much an all purpose, blue collar Boston area way of speaking. not everyone from Boston is a longshoreman or a loan shark or a petty criminal, though. But if you saw this show or any movie set in Boston in the last 20 years, I can see why one might think that.

On 6/26/2019 at 10:19 PM, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Kevin loves playing Boston Cops, does unapologetic fuckboi quite well

LOL. He's been working on his accent for over a decade now. At this point he almost has it.

23 hours ago, Lemons said:

No, he’s FBI.  He also went to law,school in DC he said.   He talked about watching Robert Kennedy on TV and wanting to be an agent. 

He said "BC Law School". That's Boston College. High prestige among Boston's Irish Catholics. An excellent law school, btw. Jackie's no lightweight.

I love and adore Mark O'Brien and I was thrilled to see him in this. He's the only actor not from Boston I've ever seen who nails the accent.

• Love 1
35 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Do we know if he's an actual attorney?  Or we just know that he attended law school?  that little tidbit gives him a couple more layers.  

If he's a special agent he would need to go to law school or some other specialty.  

Oh yeah, I already smell an affair between Hot Father and Jenny. Jackie can at least be a charming asshole to other people, but he can hardly even bother with the charming part with his wife. 

Did Jenny's mom not only call the priest a Mick, but say his name was "incomprehensible"? His name is Doyle! 

The plot with this old murder continues to thicken, as does whatever is really going on with Reverend Asshole. I dont know how Decourcys wife can work with a man who called her husband...that not nice thing, especially in front of a whole bunch of people and then keeps talking shit about him in the papers! I would think thats kind of a deal breaker in a partnership. Looks like he into some sketchy shit though, so maybe it wont be an issue for long. 

"I treat everyone the same. Bad." 

17 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Father Doyle  is cute, I smell an affair coming with him and Jenny.

Carmela Soprano/Father Intintola == Jenny Rohr/Father Doyle

I love the way that each episode begins with a typed update of what's been going on.  Leaps and bounds better than a "last time on..." especially when the plot is very difficult to follow in the first place (looking at you, Homeland).

So...the brother who got arrested in Florida didn't take the medicine cabinet money after all?  Nice twist.  I guess he bought those gifts for his kids with the $18k he got from Jackie.

I like that the plot eased off of the Revere robbery for this episode.  I like a slow burn.  

I am definitely confused about what is going on with Kinnicky (sp?).  I understand the overall concept that the DA is subpoenaing cops and former cops so that he can put them before the grand jury and get info out of them, or force them to commit perjury, but I don't understand exactly what is going on with Kinnicky, and I have no idea who that dead body was they showed out in the rain and whether that was related to Kinnicky.  Anyone have any insight?

I thought the scene with the DA and his wife and her parents eating dinner was very well done, very subtle.  Everyone has their own agenda and it's about meeting in the middle, I guess.  I also like the dynamic between the DA and his wife with regard to the reverend that his wife works for, and how the black police captain wants to take the reverend down.  I think the dialogue in all these scenes is really goood, really charged, but stilll seems like real people talking, not actors.  I'm really interested in what the DA will do.  He is very smart and calculated.  He's taking no prisoners, that's for sure.

I am really getting into the wife of the bank robbing brother, the blonde.  She is very confident.  I liked the casual battle she fought with her mother-in-law and I kind of died laughing a little bit when she referred to her tampon as "a bus."  It wasn't the line, which was a little crude, it was the delivery.

I didn't agree with the way the priest treated Jackie's wife, but I do agree with the overall message--that if someone is having marital problems, there is almost always a way that the person seeking help can look to themselves and their own behavior before pointing the finger.  A lot of marriage is suffering.  On the other hand, Jackie's wife may very well be the exception, so I was glad when Father Doyle came to see her and he didn't hesitate to tell her that she "absolutely" is not too old to start over.  And the way to start over?  Paraphrasing:  "pursue the things that give you joy.  Take a brutal look at yourself.  Call on your friends, and I hope you'll consider me one."  Awesome, Father!  Perfect advice.

The female investigator--I'm not sure I agreed with the way she approached the situation at the AA meeting.  I clearly know less than her about it, but I have always learned that, in order to gain trust and get people to give up info, you have to reveal a little bit of yourself.  Instead of saying that she wasn't ready to talk about why she was at the AA meeting, she should have just alluded to something about losing her kids.  I find myself tuning out when people talk about their kids, so it probably would have been an effective technique in disarming the guy.  It's hard for me to believe a guy who is street smart and now sober would just start dishing nefarious shit to a pretty woman who just showed up at an AA meeting.  I mean, wouldn't he be aware that law enforcement could come looking for info exactly the way they did? 🙋‍♀️ 

Jackie...you really smashed the fucking plane, you fucking asshole?  

(edited)
On 7/1/2019 at 2:36 AM, preeya said:

S01E03 If Only the Fool Would Persist in His Folly

Summary:  Jackie searches for his absent informant as Jenny searches for purpose, revisiting her passion to become a teacher. Decourcy works up a plan to overcome the town's infamous "Code of Silence" and get a few suspects to talk. Minogue is assigned a big case, but not the one he actually cares about. Jimmy skips town to visit his kids and finds that, even a thousand miles away, he's not safe from his problems back home.

Thanks for summary!

Edited by Ryan Merphy

Wow is that reverend a sanctimonious fuck. I loved him on the Wire, but I can't wait till he gets knocked down. 

I'm not really interested in Bacon's marital problems. It's not really that interested in this plot. 

PLEASE tell me someone else knows the Wachusett commercial. 

• Love 2
On 7/1/2019 at 12:23 PM, Pepper Mostly said:

Its not just Southie, its pretty much an all purpose, blue collar Boston area way of speaking. not everyone from Boston is a longshoreman or a loan shark or a petty criminal, though. But if you saw this show or any movie set in Boston in the last 20 years, I can see why one might think that.

LOL. He's been working on his accent for over a decade now. At this point he almost has it.

He said "BC Law School". That's Boston College. High prestige among Boston's Irish Catholics. An excellent law school, btw. Jackie's no lightweight.

I love and adore Mark O'Brien and I was thrilled to see him in this. He's the only actor not from Boston I've ever seen who nails the accent.

Amy Adams did a FANTASTIC one. I had to look her up to see if she was a Boston native. I think it was The Fighter?  Or maybe I am thinking of Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone....

18 hours ago, MamaMax said:

Amy Adams did a FANTASTIC one. I had to look her up to see if she was a Boston native. I think it was The Fighter?  Or maybe I am thinking of Amy Ryan in Gone Baby Gone....

My son and I watched "Black Mass" twice, simply to mock the accents. Benedict Cumberbatch was terrible. And Dakota Johnson? LOL. We yell "I'll pull da plug myself Jimmy!" at each other and collapse with laughter. To nail a Boston accent is very difficult. Not every R is dropped, for instance. Depends on where it falls in the word. The main thing people get wrong is that they speak too slowly. Boston talks fast. And they throw too much emphasis on the dropped r's and the broad a's. the plural of "teachers" isn't "teachahs", its more like teachiz". 

Topic? Jackie is the biggest asshole who ever asshole'd, but I dig his unlikely alliance with DeCourcy and how pragmatic he is. I also like that DeCourcy isn't Mr. Clean, all idealism. He's realistic and can hold his own. 

My favorite, after Jimmy, who I love for all his crack-y goodness, is his sister in law, the armored truck robber's wife. She cracks me up. 

On 7/4/2019 at 8:32 PM, ganesh said:

PLEASE tell me someone else knows the Wachusett commercial. 

I remember it, of course! I am appreciating these details. 

• Love 1
On 7/6/2019 at 12:10 PM, MamaMax said:

An excellent law school, btw. Jackie's no lightweight.

This is what I like about the show. He's a terrible person, but he did come up with the incredible idea to convene the grand jury and basically rope-a-dope the gang for the current armed robberies and missing (dead) guards. He looks like he's got CIs all over the place too. I like characters that are good at their jobs. I'm not excusing his other behavior. I'd almost say it a smokescreen so people don't take him seriously. In their private conversations he's rather direct with DeCourcy and quick to bring up his BC background which DeCourcy would know is no joke. 

I like that he's confident in DeCourcy being able to pull it off too. One could say...puts on glasses...he's providing DeCourcy with...leverage. (I'm so sorry). 

• Love 1

Oh yeah, Jackie's an awful person. But he's not dumb. He's petty and vengeful and spiteful and lacking in even a nodding acquaintance with a principle, but he's no dummy.

I loved how Decourcy had him snowed with his "my dad knew King" yarn. Heh. Decourcy is also no dummy.