Type keyword(s) to search

Inside Amy Schumer In The Media

Considering the AMAZING first episode last night, I have a feeling IAS will be around as long as Amy wants to do it. 

I'm very happy for her success. I first saw AS on Last Comic Standing some years ago, and she was funny then. But now she's even funnier, more confident, and she's not afraid to try anything as a comedian.

What happened to this show on Amazon Prime? Suddenly it's only free on Hulu.

I'm guessing some kind of deal between Amazon and Comedy Central ended, because Broad City and Drunk History were both on Amazon Prime Instant as well, and now neither one is.

I'm guessing some kind of deal between Amazon and Comedy Central ended, because Broad City and Drunk History were both on Amazon Prime Instant as well, and now neither one is.

This really sucks. I was considering getting Hulu for a number of the more current shows but I hear it has commercials. That's why I stream, to avoid commercials.

Fresh Air interview with Amy and Judd Apatow is terrific.

Besides promoting the movie, Amy answers questions about the show.

Interesting questions about Amy dating a professional wrestler.  She says she feel sexy with her squishy body.

I'm very happy for her success. I first saw AS on Last Comic Standing some years ago, and she was funny then. But now she's even funnier, more confident, and she's not afraid to try anything as a comedian.

I saw her live, in person, at a comedy show at my school in 2009. I am kicking myself that I didn't get an autograph. I was wearing a police uniform for a play I was doing downstairs, and she made fun of me. It was great.

It's been a bit of a whirlwind week for Amy.  In addition to her book coming out, one of her (now former) writers Kurt Metzger wrote a rape-apologist Facebook post, and then when on a terrifyingly misogynistic twitter spree defending it.  That happened right when Amy's book came out, which has a story inside about her own sexual assault, so people then started tweeting at her asking why she still employed Kurt Metzger.  Yesterday, she finally tweeted to say that she was disappointed in what he said and that he no longer worked for the show.  People then took that to mean he was fired, to which she clarified this morning that he wasn't fired, there just wasn't a show to work on.  This led people to think the show is cancelled, and earlier today she clarified to say that the show isn't cancelled, but because of her other projects, the show won't be back for the "foreseeable future."

I honestly have mixed feelings about this.  I love Amy Schumer, and I would never hold her (or anyone else) responsible for the written actions of another person.  However, this particular writer has a long history of making misogynistic threats against women he disagrees with, states he's "pro-rape", and has admitted to "criminally choking" (his words) an ex-girlfriend.  And since Amy has such a strong stance on making sure her show is feminist, it really makes me think twice about the kind of person that would not only employ him, but consider him a friend.    

• Love 1

Dang I guess there are more lucrative opportunities than a regular show on a marginal basic cable network.

Louis CK isn't hurrying back to do more shows of his series either, though he is helping launch a new series.

Seems like Schumer also blocked a few of her followers who had tweeted asking that she address it with Kurt. Pfft. I think her responses only made her look bad. (But I long ago dropped off the Amy fan wagon so am not inclined to give her the benefit of any doubts.)

• Love 1

Yeah, I actually think she handled it pretty poorly.  First by blocking the people asked her about the situation, and then the wording of her tweets makes it sound like if her show was actively filming, he wouldn't actually be fired; he only isn't working for her because the show isn't being worked on.  I just have such a cognitive dissonance of seeing a show that has had some very nuanced and sharp takes on rape, and then continuing to employ that asshole, espeically considering his views on rape and women aren't new.  

• Love 1

Amy's net Netflix stand-up special is getting "overwhelmingly negative" user reviews. IMDB currently has it at 3.1 out of 10 stars.

"Decider reviewed all 876 member reviews of the special that are currently posted on Netflix.com, and the results are pretty grim: 33 subscribers gave it 5 stars, 17 gave it 4 stars, 22 gave it 3 three stars, 85 gave it 2 stars, 710 users give it 1 star, and 9 gave it zero stars. That makes the average rating for The Leather Special 1.35 stars."