Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E13: The Honey Don’t List

What a refreshing episode.  Vern has become a lot more fun, and he actually tries to do a nice room.  The new designer was a nice person as well, and is headed in the right direction.  See TS, you don’t need Hildi drama.  This is much better.  

• Love 9

Mikel’s room is really terrible and that dumb marker shiplap makes me think of a shed and I would be so mad if I saw that awful green color on my wall! The only good thing about the room is the cool fireplace, the husband is disappointed and I do not blame him but at least the wife loved it 

Vern’s room is okay, the wallpaper is too bold and I do not like the rug but I did like the hardwood floors and dog bed, I usually like Vern’s designs but this one is bleah but I am glad the homeowners loved it

• Love 6

Vern's room was masterful. I don't think I've ever seen a TS designer mix patterns that well. It was stunning and looked like he spent much more than $2,000 on it.

I liked Mikel on Design Star. This was mediocre. His faux shiplap was dumb and his argument for painting the trim and doors made no sense. People don't shiplap trim and doors. Ninety percent of the time shiplap does meet up with white trim and doors. Had he said that because they were painting the room green from floor to ceiling and the white would stand out too much, I would have sided with him. He kind of said that, but not really well. It also had the dreaded useless storage problem. The room is salvageable. And likely wouldn't require too much DIY to fix the space.

• Love 4

I love Vern. He's so adorable. I like the new designer, too. Definite improvement over the Ty, Carter, and Hildi show.

Did not need Vern and Brett's Dirty Dancing moment, but Brett telling Vern he's 4 feet tall did make me laugh.

So I guess this week's theme is Hapless Husbands Can't Do Stuff. No more terrible-DIY teaching moments, please. How much time did they waste having the guys do stuff that then had to be redone? 

Also, stop saying "DIY."

A beanbag chair and a tray from Wayfair. How exciting.

Mikel's faux shiplap came out better than I expected (at least on my TV screen, and after they put some artwork and stuff up). I actually liked his room, overall (though it was a little too dark with green paint on everything; I would have gone with something lighter, or at least white on the trim to break up the green, and not painted the ceiling). Not convinced the homeowners actually liked it (well, the husband clearly didn't, but the wife's "I love it" wasn't especially convincing, either). It's not super little-kid friendly, though. He didn't seem to give them any toy storage, did he? It felt more like a cozy living room for adults and maybe older kids. I see chalk drawings on the walls in the near future.

Vern's room felt very busy with all the patterns. Not very relaxing for a bedroom. I usually love his stuff but not a fan of this one. I would have gone with solid linens with the striped rug. I liked the furniture - it looks much better in white. The dog bed is cute.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I love Vern. He's so adorable. I like the new designer, too. Definite improvement over the Ty, Carter, and Hildi show.

Did not need Vern and Brett's Dirty Dancing moment, but Brett telling Vern he's 4 feet tall did make me laugh.

So I guess this week's theme is Hapless Husbands Can't Do Stuff. No more terrible-DIY teaching moments, please. How much time did they waste having the guys do stuff that then had to be redone? 

Also, stop saying "DIY."

A beanbag chair and a tray from Wayfair. How exciting.

Mikel's faux shiplap came out better than I expected (at least on my TV screen, and after they put some artwork and stuff up). I actually liked his room, overall (though it was a little too dark with green paint on everything; I would have gone with something lighter, or at least white on the trim to break up the green, and not painted the ceiling). Not convinced the homeowners actually liked it (well, the husband clearly didn't, but the wife's "I love it" wasn't especially convincing, either). It's not super little-kid friendly, though. He didn't seem to give them any toy storage, did he? It felt more like a cozy living room for adults and maybe older kids. I see chalk drawings on the walls in the near future.

Vern's room felt very busy with all the patterns. Not very relaxing for a bedroom. I usually love his stuff but not a fan of this one. I would have gone with solid linens with the striped rug. I liked the furniture - it looks much better in white. The dog bed is cute.

There was some toy storage in the family room. In the kid zone area he had a few (I think at least 4) of the wooden crates attached to the wall for storage. I thought the room was OK, but the furniture they put in did not look comfortable, a low back sofa and a side chair. I'm betting the homeowners put back the sofa and chaise they had in the room originally. Neither was particularly great looking, but they were fine, in good shape and looked super comfortable.

I agree with you about too much pattern in Vern's room. Four patterns was at least one too many. I liked the wallpaper and the rug, but either white bedding or white curtains would have looked better, IMO. There were originally white cotton curtains in the room which I would have left.

• Love 3

I liked the bedroom OK, but not the family room.  I think the friends will be helping to change things.

The wife of the red couple was hilarious.  Her list of new interventions (loading dishwasher, making lunches, etc) and complaining about having to tame his ego after getting his sash made me laugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
4 minutes ago, camom said:

I liked the bedroom OK, but not the family room.  I think the friends will be helping to change things.

The wife of the red couple was hilarious.  Her list of new interventions (loading dishwasher, making lunches, etc) and complaining about having to tame his ego after getting his sash made me laugh.

Yeah, she is really funny! I do not know why she wants the sash, it is lame

• Love 1

Gods, yet another installment of "Better than it was, and the homeowners generally like it, but it's ho-hum and doesn't look like a designer did it."

As has become my recent habit because of how boring this show has become and what else is on TV, I again only watched the reveal, and this time I didn't even give that my full attention.  Bleh; this show is a shadow of its former self, which didn't shine all that brightly to begin with.

The new guy's room answers the question of "What's worse than shiplap?" with "Marker-induced faux shiplap."  Otherwise is it was okay, and overall it was easily improved upon, but - meh.

Vern's room was more interesting, but used one pattern too many on/up against the focal wall.  I know he can do better, because he's done better many times.  But, again, easy to build upon.

"Well, they can fix this" isn't what I should be left with episode after episode; this revival, especially this season, is all so blah, broken up by the occasional monstrosity and the even more occasional beautifully-designed room.

• Love 5

Yeah, she is really funny! I do not know why she wants the sash, it is lame

I don't think she wanted it.  She was saying that after being praised, his ego would be too much.

Well at least the dark living room got a fake fireplace and the TV isn't sitting on something too small for it. I agree that they just moved their old couch and chaise back into the room, I would have.

I liked Vern's room as always even if it was a little busy. He didn't make them a lame headboard.

At least it wasn't Doug and Hildi for time eleventy billion. But does anyone know what happened to Edward or Kia (not that she's much better than Hildi but she isn't doing it with malice)? Instead we get this guy and the winner of that ridiculous "contest" last week.

• Love 1

None of the designers from the "expansion" (Edward, Kia, Christ and Laura) have been back in the iteration.  It's kinda of like when they did the return to Mayberry movie and pretended none of the Mayberry RFD people existed. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 1

Oh man, I'm glad Kia isn't back - I don't need a return of wallpaper borders in my life.

I liked Vern's room - to me, you could definitely tell that a designer had done it, because most amateurs attempting to mix that many patterns would have made a disaster. 

I didn't mind Mikel's room, though I thought that the shelving/tv/fireplace unit looked better in the drawing than in the room - the proportions seemed wrong once it was in there.  The drawing made it look like it would be the entire wall, which would have been really cool, but once it was there it looked crammed into the corner.  

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, theschnauzers said:

Yes it is, apparently. 13 episodes is more than we got last season.

Yet we got a brand-new "design assistant", the three newbies from last year each once, Hildi a whopping four times and Doug three, and Ty and Carter fully upgraded to designer status at three episodes apiece.

This iteration of Trading Spaces is either is not good at variety or we've learned that Doug and Hildi don't have much in the way of thriving careers.

• Love 6