Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E22: Pillar of Salt

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

I found this one to be interesting.  Another ‘when are appearances actually not what they seem.’

Loved the stepmother giving the mother a hug at the end along with the father/exhusband going over to her too. (Yes, I’m a sap.)

So ... is Bull going to be a drunk dad or a good dad? Or are we going to go down the road of ‘is he really the dad?’

• Love 2

The actual fight between Bull and Bennie did remind me of two 11-year-olds. (A term Bull had used.). I know Bennie was serious, but it played out ... so weirdly. Maybe they were doing their own stunts and were afraid of getting hurt, so they pulled back. It looked like some weird half-measure action sequence. And would Bull, who is a good foot taller, actually run away from Bennie? I don’t know — it just seemed to have a cartoon feel to it.

I was surprised Chuck just stood there, unless he was secretly hoping Bennie would pound Bull. (I think most of his people don’t like Bull.)

I hope this is okay to put this here — I wonder if we’re going to see a settled-down Bull (as far as women) next year? Married. With a kid. Maybe as a way to put the real-life “incident” behind him. (Now that the show’s been renewed.)(Of course, that didn’t stop him from downing an entire bottle of alcohol last night.)

Plus I thought it was interesting to see and hear the first reaction of the Mom in jail to Bull. “Now, who are you?” She was super pissed at him for what he had said. I realize, I guess, that’s how Dr. Phil is. Okay fine. The problem I have is that I know how Michael Weatherly is. I don’t know if it’s that, or Weatherly’s acting but he isn’t (IMO) able to pull off that smarmy asshole who ALSO has a heart of gold and a winning sense of humor and is God’s gift to women.

I thought that was a weak episode to end the season on.

• Love 1
46 minutes ago, SamBeckett said:

Plus I thought it was interesting to see and hear the first reaction of the Mom in jail to Bull. “Now, who are you?” She was super pissed at him for what he had said. 

I got the impression that Bull phrased that deliberately to get that reaction, to learn how the suspect thought of herself as a mother.  

I don't remember enough of Bull and his ex-wife as a couple, but I can't help but think them getting back together isn't a good idea, baby or no.  Would certainly change the dynamic of Bull being work obsessed. 

Also not sure why Marissa changed her mind about having a baby.  Was it so she wouldn't have to tell her husband that his sperm were deficient?  Please, he's an adult.  Give him the information so you can decide together what to do!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SamBeckett said:

The actual fight between Bull and Bennie did remind me of two 11-year-olds. (A term Bull had used.). I know Bennie was serious, but it played out ... so weirdly. Maybe they were doing their own stunts and were afraid of getting hurt, so they pulled back. It looked like some weird half-measure action sequence. And would Bull, who is a good foot taller, actually run away from Bennie? I don’t know — it just seemed to have a cartoon feel to it.

I totally agree.  The fight looked like it was between children.  When Bull ran away I almost laughed because it was so goofy.  He is so much taller and overall bigger than Bennie, he could knock him out with one punch probably.  But, Bull comes across as physically weak to me. Not sure if it's the actor or the character but he seems like someone who doesn't want to get his hands dirty, so to speak.  Also, he always seems out of shape. mostly due to his seemingly labored breathing at times and he seems like he could stand to drop 20 lbs.  Again, not sure if it's the character or the actor.  Anyway. I get why Bennie was mad but it would have been much more effective without the silly fight and running around the office. Maybe just land the punch and keep it at that.  

On this topic, I HATE when the big cliffhanger is a pregnancy so I am not looking forward to that aspect of the show. I hope it turns out not to be Bull's. I don't see any chemistry with his ex-wife. I have always thought he was in love with the other woman from TX (can't remember her name at the moment) and they have a lot of chemistry, IMHO.  

12 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Also not sure why Marissa changed her mind about having a baby.  Was it so she wouldn't have to tell her husband that his sperm were deficient?  Please, he's an adult.  Give him the information so you can decide together what to do!

Yes, she just didn't want to tell her husband that he was the issue, not her. I can understand her not wanting to hurt him but he's going to find out eventually and will be so much more angry at her about lying than he would have been upset if she had just had just told him.  You can tell they both want a baby so badly.  I hope it somehow works out for them.   I really like them together. 

• Love 3

Well then.  That wasn't great.  The slappy fight was hilarious, so was the view of Chunk just standing there with his mouth open, observing it all, and obviously processing if he should intervene or not.  I mean, he's probably going over what might have started the fight (probably Bull) , who was going to win the fight (Benny had righteous anger on his side, but Bull is bigger), who he wanted to win the fight (probably Benny), and whether or not "office bouncer" is on his job description.

I'm not a fan of this side-plot.  I think it is intended as a redemption arc, but not for Bull, for Michael Weatherly.

I did like the Case-of-the-Week.  It was different, and the actress portraying the stepmom was fantastic.  So was the actress playing the actual mom, she did brittle, grieving anger really well. 

I had to laugh at the last scene.  It was just a few episodes ago where I remarked on the obvious use of seat belts in the rear of Bull's limo/town car.  But when he gets in with his ex-wife, future baby-mommy, neither one puts their seat belts on, and something in the back of my head goes "ding-ding-ding...this is a clue!"  Yup.  That means it isn't safe....

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

What a disappointment.

Turns out Bull, Benny and Marissa all have the mentality about intimate relationships and where babies come from as the average selfish, immature 11 year old.

What a terrible ending.

Booo, hisssss.

(edited)
17 hours ago, SamBeckett said:

The actual fight between Bull and Bennie did remind me of two 11-year-olds. 

I hope this is okay to put this here — I wonder if we’re going to see a settled-down Bull (as far as women) next year? Married. With a kid. Maybe as a way to put the real-life “incident” behind him. (Now that the show’s been renewed.)(Of course, that didn’t stop him from downing an entire bottle of alcohol last night)

In defense of Bull,  that was before he found out about the baby... but...I was very disappointed to see him drinking again. 

I loved the court case.  I was really hoping it was something llike this and not foul play.   The emotions the step mom showed when the little girl died seemed genuine (for acting).

I was laughing when Bennie chased Bull out of the office.  

Edited by alegtostandon
On 5/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Ellee said:

Loved the stepmother giving the mother a hug at the end along with the father/exhusband going over to her too. (Yes, I’m a sap.)

Interestingly, there was something in my eye at that exact time! 

On 5/14/2019 at 8:55 AM, SamBeckett said:

The actual fight between Bull and Bennie did remind me of two 11-year-olds. (A term Bull had used.). I know Bennie was serious, but it played out ... so weirdly.

I really don't understand the whole 'my family members are saints' thing.  Good grief, Benny, your sister very well could have kissed Bull first, you big baby, and it wouldn't be the end of the world.  

What I did find odd, was that when Benny came in to Bull's office and was visibly upset and asked everyone to leave, no one moved or even flinched, until he said it again louder and more forcefully.  I didn't find that very realistic.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, cam3150 said:

On this topic, I HATE when the big cliffhanger is a pregnancy so I am not looking forward to that aspect of the show. I hope it turns out not to be Bull's. I don't see any chemistry with his ex-wife. I have always thought he was in love with the other woman from TX (can't remember her name at the moment) and they have a lot of chemistry, IMHO.  

I don't see any chemistry with his ex-wife either, and as much as some here hate Diana (Texas), I do see chemistry there.  The scene with the ex in the cab was just weird..."I just dropped a bombshell on you that you're going to be a dad, now kiss me passionately."  Horrible idea for them to have a kid together...not sure why the writers seem to think it's a good idea.  Sounds a little Cousin Oliver/jumping the shark to me.

On 5/14/2019 at 10:09 AM, cam3150 said:

Yes, she just didn't want to tell her husband that he was the issue, not her. I can understand her not wanting to hurt him but he's going to find out eventually and will be so much more angry at her about lying than he would have been upset if she had just had just told him. 

She just keeps making absolutely awful relationship decisions.  Not only will he be mad at her when he finds out the truth (which he will eventually), which will damage their relationship (perhaps irretrievably), but regardless of how much he loves her, he will be hurt at her now for her (unilateral) no-baby decision.  Hmmm....there's one option where he's NOT mad at her or hurt.  Oh yeah, it's the silly little telling-the-grownup-the-truth option.

8 hours ago, alegtostandon said:

In defense of Bull,  that was before he found out about the baby... but...I was very disappointed to see him drinking again. 

Me too.  I can only hope that the 'real' reaction Marissa had after Bull indicated he wanted alcohol to drink, was to refuse.

I loathe the Diana from Texas character (and I barely tolerate that actress in anything) so there's that...  I actually do see a strong chemistry with Bull and his ex-wife. 

As for the fight, one of my favorite scenes in movies is the "Bridget Jones Diary" fight between Colin Firth and Hugh Grant -- they're both out-of-shape, clumsy British guys who have no business fighting each other.  It is played for laughs but they're so serious in trying to honorably fight -- this reminded me of that great scene.

• Love 1
On 5/14/2019 at 8:19 AM, Ellee said:

So ... is Bull going to be a drunk dad or a good dad? Or are we going to go down the road of ‘is he really the dad?’

My money is on she's not actually pregnant, her cycle was just off or if she is pregnant, she looses the baby very early on in the pregnancy. 

On 5/14/2019 at 12:17 PM, HurricaneVal said:

The slappy fight was hilarious, so was the view of Chunk just standing there with his mouth open, observing it all, and obviously processing if he should intervene or not.  I mean, he's probably going over what might have started the fight (probably Bull) , who was going to win the fight (Benny had righteous anger on his side, but Bull is bigger), who he wanted to win the fight (probably Benny), and whether or not "office bouncer" is on his job description.

I love this. It kind of makes me wish we could have heard the interior monologue of each character as they were watching the fight, because this is totally what Chunk would have been thinking. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm pretending the last scene didn't happen.

You cannot make me believe that none of three adults and a pediatrician office caught pica in that kid. My kids are ages 10 and under and are they routinely eating anything that's not food is always something I've been asked or been told to look for, in every parenting book, brochure at the pediatrician, the pediatricians themselves. Pica, at least in my experience, is rare but it's one of those things that is quickly mentioned as a thing to keep an eye on. I don't know if I'd say it's easily diagnosed, but as soon as the parents or pediatrician noticed the kid eating stuff that's not food, they should have known. We need a condition that's harder to diagnose, thanks. Also, what three year old likes and eats onion soup, that right there should have been a big clue. I initially thought it was something like undiagnosed diabetes, but it was obvious from the getgo that there was some undiagnosed medical issue

I've said it before, but I really don't like these cases where the prosecutor seems so eager to stick it to the defendant. If the prosecutor were representing a person, against another person, with negativity between the two, I get that, even if I think a good lawyer should still not be trying to stick it to the defendant. But in this case, the prosecutor was representing "the people" and as far as I could tell, didn't have any emotional attachment to the stepmom losing, but yet still seemed so eager to stick it to the stepmom.

I don't like infidelity among anyone really, and not the leads in a TV show, and I'm really tired of this Izzy coming and going thing, so I'd like her to go permanently or stay permanently, please. 

Edited by JessDVD
Added sentence
  • Love 1

finally caught up. I actually like the marissa storyline., often that sort of story is only played for secondary charachters to explain away an actresses pregancny. But here, its more of just a thing that real women go through. From a drama POV it seems random though? Unless the actress IS planning on getting pregnant and the writers want the option to write it in?