Type keyword(s) to search

Boise Boys - General Discussion

suebee12
  • Start Topic

I was glad to see this show again! I really like the two guys, their families, and their interactions! I loved the "farm house" and it was interesting to see the stilt house...that reminded me of Texas Flip and Move except with a massive budget! I'm not sure how I would love the having the banquette but it was fun watching Clint make it! And I loved the kids room...you'd have to be a kid to stand in most of it! I would have put the beds on the opposite wall so that the morning light wouldn't pour in on me but then I am a nightowl who doesn't appreciate the morning hours anyway!

• Love 3

I could do with less time spent on the 2 houses they choose from, and spend more time on the design--also less time on the interested buyers who don't buy the house.    The houses turn out nicely--and I'd like to see more about the choices Luke makes--his style is different and I'd like a little more time to see the finished house and how it gets there.

I do enjoy them bringing their families in for a scene now and them--both of them seem to be good dads.

• Love 5

I like seeing the wide range of houses, and neighborhoods in Boise.  I really enjoyed the house that the one partner bought for his family, and really liked that the other partner was figuring out access for the son.   

• Love 1

Wow, what a difference the boys made in their house this week! That plant growth in the kitchen was overwhelming!! They turned that house into a perfect house for a young couple or in this case, an older couple. I would have liked to have seen the backyard but what they did to the front and inside was totally amazing. It was interesting to see the weather changes through out the reno! Snow, then no snow, then snow again! Wonder how long the actual renovation took?

• Love 5

My DVR cut off a tad early.  Did the woman purchase the home for her parents?  Thanks.

I really love this show.  The two guys are fun to watch and both very talented.  Happy to hear their timeslot has been moved to primetime (and will stay there as long as their numbers remain high) right after Property Brothers.  Good for them. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, tinderbox said:

My DVR cut off a tad early.  Did the woman purchase the home for her parents?  Thanks

Yes, she paid the asking price of $400,000! It is small but so cute!!!

• Love 3

I loved the Northside two story addition, and think the couple who bought it made a very good deal, on a lovely home.     The fence post wall was really cute when it was finished.   

I would love to see what the mid-century modern would have been after the addition was rebuilt, but I think it would have cost more than $100k to fix that.     I think they were smart to choose the Northside house. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I liked the mid-century house they redid this week.    I hated the first tiny, strange house they toured.     

I liked the penny floor, but I didn't like the mural.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1

The mural was hideous. I just don't understand why any "designer" would do that in a house that's for sale. While I thought the penny "tile" floor was unique, another thing that bugged was the Be Kind wording worked into it with nickels.

• Love 7

I hate the trend of words on walls or, in this case, floors.  It is always the same trite phrases - “Always kiss me good night” “Live, love, laugh”, etc.

That mural was ridiculous.  I cannot believe that any designer/house flipper would put that in with the hope it would help sell a house.  Either it was put in after the house sold or was painted over.

My initial thought was that they were going to paint a mural on the block wall outside.  Now that could have been cute.  But not by that artist.

• Love 5

Also hated the mural.    I would have made sanding that wall down and re-painting a condition of the sale.  I did not mind the one they did in the bedroom as much but it also would be something I'd get rid of for myself.

I loved the penny floor and think the be kind was ok--it was not too out there although like others who've posted, I am not a fan of all the word signs that are so popular right now.    I also like when they bring their kids to work a bit on their houses or when Luke takes his kids shopping.

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder if some of the more out there designs, such as the mural, are for specific buyers?   My DVR always seems to cut off before the ending telling if they sold or not, so I'm not sure if the prospective buyers turn into actual buyers.   

This is supposed to be on tomorrow night at 10 pm Central, of course last week they flip flopped the schedule at the last minute, so who knows what will happen.      

The mid-century Modern last night was really cute.   I like how they made the laundry nook into a laundry/mud room area.    I loved the breeze blocks, and thought they added a lot of character to the house. 

The other house they looked at would have been a money pit. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I loved the mid-century modern and I usually do not like this style! I'm not a "yellow" person but I thought the yellow wall was great....not too much like last week's mural. The whole house flowed and I loved the black "concrete" wall. I think I would like to tour Luke's warehouse because he seems to find great things at great prices and saves them til they are needed. Not sure I like the dyed fabric because I would worry that it would "bleed" but who knows, maybe that would work but seems like it would also be very stiff! All in all, a great house that actually looked mid-century when they were done.

• Love 1

Just saw this show for the first time, and I like the MCM redo.  Suebee, I agree with your thought that the black dye might fade, and that the fabric might be stiff, but since he was using it for staging purposes only, that probably isn't a factor.  A few thoughts on what I would have done differently.  I wish they had used the breeze block on the outside at the entry instead of that wooden fence.  The fence will need to be replaced in a few years, but that breeze bock will last forever.  I'm not sure I would use glass panels in a garage door.  Garages take a lot of abuse with equipment and vehicles.   One last thing, when they removed the door between the laundry area and what became the master bath, they could have installed some shallow shelves in that space for display and visual interest.  Overall I really liked it, and it wasn't the usual gray or white boring color scheme on all the other shows.    

• Love 2

I loved the green mid-century they did this week.     I really was not sure about the yellow wall with circles but once he staged the room I liked it a lot.

Luke needs to look at getting some kind of licensing job to do mid-century type reproductions at somewhere like Target---he has a big family to support and I think his ideas would be very popular.   One thing I like about his staged homes is that he uses a lot of colors that are not necessarily trendy right now but they come off so well when he puts all of his ideas together.   I really liked that soft dark green that he used on the exterior and the cabinets in the kitchen and the accent colors he used and the natural wood tones he added just pulled it all together.     I was a little concerned with how that cut block trim would come out, but painted and up on that wall I thought it looked great.

• Love 3

Just as a viewer, I appreciate that Luke tries different styles and isn't afraid of color. It's fun to watch him work.

I thought the insides of the breeze blocks looked pretty with the flecks of aggregate and was sad to see them being painted, but the end result was one of the most striking (and period appropriate) design elements I've seen on any flipping show. Not sure about dusting them, though!

Just a handful of elements and style choices really transformed that basic ranch into a very attractive house.

Love the interactions between Clint and Luke. Clint plays up the exasperation really well.  😉

• Love 7
(edited)

I don't love this show. I like it just enough to keep the DVR set to catch the new episodes. I haven't watched the latest episode, the last one I saw was The Mural. Overall I liked what they did with that house and I didn't hate the mural. 

Just came over here to say that a few nights ago I was flipping channels and landed for a minute or two on Restaurant Impossible, I think a new episode. Whatshisname (Robert?) the stah of the show, was having a drah-mah scene with his designer and I think contractor because the work was behind schedule. And the designer was: Luke Caldwell. IIRC the restaurant wasn't in Idaho, and I don't know if Luke has a steady gig on Restaurant Impossible. I actually recognized him from a three-quarters back view (the hair!) before the drah-mah scene with Robert where he was identified by name on the screen. And no, the contractor wasn't Clint, who IMO is this close to needing to dial back the strength of his acting in those exasperation scenes.

(I'm not a regular watcher of Restaurant Impossible; it's such a Festival of Dysfunction that a little of it goes a long way. I don't find Robert to be very likable, and usually the people running those restaurants into the ground have more issues than the National Geographic, including being stubborn, hostile, abusive, deluded, ignorant, and/or stupid. Which ramps up the total irritation factor very very far.)

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

(I'm not a regular watcher of Restaurant Impossible; it's such a Festival of Dysfunction that a little of it goes a long way. I don't find Robert to be very likable, and usually the people running those restaurants into the ground have more issues than the National Geographic, including being stubborn, hostile, abusive, deluded, ignorant, and/or stupid. Which ramps up the total irritation factor very very far.)

And you are being quite nice....I would have liked to see Luke but when I read that Robert Irvine was coming back on with Restaurant Impossible I made a concerted effort not to even watch any of the ads much less the show! (and it appears it isn't on the air anymore or has been moved to the middle of the night?)

• Love 1

I loved the huge house with the fantastic view of the town from last night's show.     (My DVR cut off before the sale, so I'll have to catch a rerun to find out if the neighbors bought it.  I hope they did).    I loved everything they did, especially moving the fireplace, and the master bath.     I even liked the lighting fixtures this time.     

The second house, the tri-level was horrible.    When no mention was made about the popcorn ceiling, then I knew they weren't going to buy it to redo on the show.    

• Love 2
5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved the huge house with the fantastic view of the town from last night's show.     (My DVR cut off before the sale, so I'll have to catch a rerun to find out if the neighbors bought it.  I hope they did).    I loved everything they did, especially moving the fireplace, and the master bath.     I even liked the lighting fixtures this time.     

The second house, the tri-level was horrible.    When no mention was made about the popcorn ceiling, then I knew they weren't going to buy it to redo on the show.    

Yes, the older neighbor couple did buy it. They purchased it for 900K giving the Boise Boys (I don't know their names having only watched an episode or 2), a profit of $100,000. It was an amazing transformation and that view was to die for.

• Love 1

Their names are Clint (the bigger one with the three sons), and Luke (the designer with the six little kids).     Thanks of the information, I only figured out today how to extend the DVR taping so I get the ending.     

I love that the older couple bought it, they will really enjoy it, and they were so adorable.      

• Love 3

How many caught the episode that was shown today at 9 AM sandwiched between two Fixer Uppers? I am beginning to hate HGTV's programming! This is such a good show and I love the guys and their families. So much more entertaining than the Waco group(who I used to like long, long ago!) so why hide them? When they first decided to make this house a tear down, I wondered why but by the time they finished it, I was loving it! The outside fit in with the neighborhood but the inside was quite modern but seemed homey and warm. Could not believe the chandelier that Luke designed and made...I bet he was really tired of jute twine by the time it was over although someone else probably did it. His kids were so cute helping. The bedroom wall was great...loved the color. Great deck! And the spiderweb tile...unbelievable after it was grouted!  All in all, a wonderful house. I love the camaraderie of Clint and Luke...bet they are really like that in real life. Also love Clint's sons helping out! Congratulations Eli! Great job.

Wish HGTV would run more of this show and Home Town and Flip Flop Atlanta and Nashville instead of hours, and hours, and hours of Fixer Upper.

• Love 5
(edited)

I ran across the episode this morning, and I loved it.      The light fixture was amazing, but I always wondered how you change the bulbs on something that high.        That first split level had a great back yard, but would have been a money pit.     I love what they did with the tear down house, love that they realized that the original house was not salvageable.   I'm glad the woman bought that house, and I bet she'll be very happy there with her adorable kids.  

I struggled through HGTV's website, and there are no upcoming episodes after this one.    

I wish they would return this to the schedule.     I like the range of houses, and that they do different design for each house.   I'm over the other shows that do everything in gray, with white or sometimes black accents, and the same tile every time.     

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 4

Oh, I forgot to mention the scenes hanging that huge chandelier. Clint has mentioned he does not like heights!(I am with him on that!!) He looked deathly ill at times while doing the work on that scaffolding. You could not pay me to get on something like that.

I just double checked the HGTV site and it seems as though there is one more episode that they have not shown...#11 so I guess we had better keep an eye out for it. Who knows when they will have an empty place to put it. Also interesting that there is no Episode #9....wonder what that is about? I can't understand why they film a series and then let the episodes not be shown because I can't believe people aren't watching the Boise Boys!!!

• Love 1

In order to make a season's worth of episodes, the flippers need to be working on multiple houses at the same time. Ashley from Big Texas Fix said in an interview that they had to complete their nine flips within a five month period. Maybe since Clint actually does (or oversees) some of the work himself, it's not feasible for these guys? 

Same thing with the mother and son team in Oregon; a single episode here and there.

I don't have cable but do have you guys to act as my DVR and let me know when episodes show up!

• Useful 1

The flip shows all take a lot more financial investment---and the rate they have to crank out shows means that they have to have all that money tied up for the season.

I read on the Mom and Me blog last year that is why they switched to working for clients on the show since the up front money was not an option for them.   Working for clients means the client already owns the place and they have a budget to work from--so the team just has to contribute the design and labor.    In real life they do flip houses and the dad/husband seems to do that part of the business.  

It seems like Clint does a lot of the real estate part of their business, but they seem very careful of their budgets so it seems like they're working with their available finances, and they may not have 13 episodes worth of houses to film at one time.    Seems like some of the shows on HGTV and DIY have much shorter seasons and I always think it could be due to that.

• Love 2

I just watched the episode where they tore down the small house and built a new one--and like the finale of Season 1 when they go big, it really shows what they can do---I thought that house was really beautiful .      The only thing I would have changed was that little bar on the wall off the kitchen--the "coffee bar" --they had stools at the island already and it seemed kind of a lot of space devoted to a shelf with stools facing a blank wall--not sure what I'd have done instead but otherwise I loved all the choices they made.    That blue that Luke used from room to room was gorgeous.

I do wish between seasons if they are going to encourage fake drama that they'd send Clint for some lessons--he's a terrible actor and his shouting about money wasn't really necessary for a good show.    It looked to me like probably they had a pretty sure buyer in the woman who bought it.

Also I loved that gigantic light that Luke built out of iron rings and twine---he could give Lee Ann Ford a challenge--remember her white rope and string period in their first season?

• Love 4
17 hours ago, car54 said:

I just watched the episode where they tore down the small house and built a new one--and like the finale of Season 1 when they go big, it really shows what they can do---I thought that house was really beautiful .      The only thing I would have changed was that little bar on the wall off the kitchen--the "coffee bar" --they had stools at the island already and it seemed kind of a lot of space devoted to a shelf with stools facing a blank wall--not sure what I'd have done instead but otherwise I loved all the choices they made.    That blue that Luke used from room to room was gorgeous.

Although it didn't look as useless in the reveal as I expected, the coffee bar was a silly feature. It wasn't really deep enough to use for much of anything they mentioned, like a spot for children to do homework. I don't get it when the boys spend money on things that don't make sense or are very taste specific. All that coffee bar was good for was to use as an expensive bookshelf.

• Love 4

I bet that last house with the 'coffee bar' was built specifically for the woman that bought it, and she wanted the bar area for homework supervision or something else specific.   

I love the different house types they remodel, or totally rebuild, and how different they all are.    Some of the design elements aren't my favorite, but at least it's not the same colors, and materials, and designs over and over. 

• Love 7
(edited)

Just saw a new commercial and I actually watched it because it was done by the Boise Boys not Christina and her wedding dress! It was about having a safe house using your phone....I think it was for the HGTV smart house to win but since I like the Boys, I watched! Why can't I see this ad more and much less of Christina?

Now for the big news....

I found the listings for the new Boise Boys...and they are scheduled at weird hours so be on  the lookout. I checked our TV listing and these are listed as HGTV states.

Season 2, Episode 12    July 27th 10AM Eastern/ 9AM Central

The Firehouse

Luke Caldwell and Clint Robertson are on fire for an old fire station up for auction. They want to create an extravagant living space that reflects the vintage firehouse. However, with Luke and his wife taking multiple trips to Europe for their daughter's adoption, Clint is left to handle the brunt of progress himself.

Season 2, Episode 9 Saturday Aug 3 11PM Eastern, 10 Central and Sunday Aug 4th 2 AM Eastern/ 1 AM Central

Casa de Boise

Clint and Luke are tasked with working their renovation magic on a Basque Country-inspired home. They must find a way to reconfigure the former horse stables to create a functional downstairs living space while preserving the property's historical Spanish design.

Season 2, Episode 13 Saturday Aug 10th, 10 AM Eastern, 9 AM Central

Try, Try Again

Clint and Luke take a second chance on a midcentury modern they once passed on in Boise's Bench neighborhood. Although it has cool stonework and an eye-popping period fireplace, they must reconfigure a choppy layout that includes a closed-off kitchen and two bizarre bathrooms.

Edited by suebee12
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, car54 said:

I don't understand why HGTV schedules these new episodes so weirdly---and then ends endless rerun marathons. 

I know you meant "runs" endless....like today. Hours and hours of Fixer Upper...never turn them on anymore....I have seen much more of them than needed...heck, run some old shows from long ago..that would be fun and interesting!!!

• Love 3

A lot of the old shows are on their website---I watch using an Amazon Fire and they have Carol Duval, Matt and Sherri, Vern Yip---a lot of the old shows that they had years ago.

I just have no interest in the Property Brothers because they don't really do the design work or remodels, so it's all fake and I don't care for much of Love it or List it---and I'm not that into the real estate shows like House Hunters so that accounts for like 90% of their schedule.    It seems like I may have 1 or 2 shows like this one or Restored by the Fords, or Good Bones that I watch--and that is about it.

If I have insomnia I can stream Fixer Upper and it seems to put me right to sleep, so that's useful.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

Don't Forget!!!!

Season 2, Episode 12    July 27th 10AM Eastern/ 9AM Central

The Firehouse

Luke Caldwell and Clint Robertson are on fire for an old fire station up for auction. They want to create an extravagant living space that reflects the vintage firehouse. However, with Luke and his wife taking multiple trips to Europe for their daughter's adoption, Clint is left to handle the brunt of progress himself.

• Love 1

I loved how the firehouse turned out.    I think their decision to keep the first floor for their office, and rent out the 3 bed/2 bath upstairs for short term rentals will be very successful. 

Luke's new daughter was so adorable!     

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I loved how the firehouse turned out.    I think their decision to keep the first floor for their office, and rent out the 3 bed/2 bath upstairs for short term rentals will be very successful. 

Luke's new daughter was so adorable!     

First time I watched and I did enjoy it. Still laughing about the dog in the seatbelt. HGTV has caused me to loathe the Gaines. I won't be watching their new network.

I wish HGTV would bring back some staging shows. I loved those.

• Love 2
On 7/16/2019 at 12:16 PM, suebee12 said:

Now for the big news....

I found the listings for the new Boise Boys...and they are scheduled at weird hours so be on  the lookout. I checked our TV listing and these are listed as HGTV states.

Thank you.  I caught today's by sheer fluke.  I happened to be scrolling through the guide on my DVR.  Now I'll know about the other episodes.  Like the show very much.  However, the scheduling is a different story.  Absolutely hate that.

I liked the firehouse, and the office space made sense.  However, the nightly rental of the upstairs did not.   How will they prevent a stranger from just going downstairs and rifling through their office?  Seems very risky to me.

(edited)

The upstairs had a separate entrance, on the right side of the front of the building, leading to stairs for the second floor, and I"m sure they can do an alarmed exit only door, or have a second staircase for emergency egress to meet fire codes.       That way the guests won't have access to their office space, and there won't be people wandering up from the office to the rental space on the second floor. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

Love the firehouse reno. The Boys are so creative and I enjoy seeing their children, even the little ones, work with them. Clint's sons are so handsome and such hard workers. Luke's family is totally huggable. Kudos to him and his dear wife for adopting all those children.

Is there enough short term (vacation-type) rental demand for Boise for them to make the kind of rental income they estimated? Just asking... I thought they would rent the apartment with three bedrooms to a family long-term, which would be a more reliable income producer.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, CruiseDiva said:

Love the firehouse reno. The Boys are so creative and I enjoy seeing their children, even the little ones, work with them. Clint's sons are so handsome and such hard workers. Luke's family is totally huggable. Kudos to him and his dear wife for adopting all those children.

Is there enough short term (vacation-type) rental demand for Boise for them to make the kind of rental income they estimated? Just asking... I thought they would rent the apartment with three bedrooms to a family long-term, which would be a more reliable income producer.

It's a college town plus the state capital, so parents and lobbyists coming to visit. 
I'm sure they know their market.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

It's a college town plus the state capital, so parents and lobbyists coming to visit. 
I'm sure they know their market.

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize that.

(edited)

My guess is someone like a group of lobbyists would be perfect for that apartment, rent for the legislature term, it's fully furnished so they just have to get their own food, and bring their clothes.     Short term corporate rentals like that apartment are very profitable.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

The upstairs had a separate entrance, on the right side of the front of the building, leading to stairs for the second floor, and I"m sure they can do an alarmed exit only door, or have a second staircase for emergency egress to meet fire codes.       That way the guests won't have access to their office space, and there won't be people wandering up from the office to the rental space on the second floor. 

Thanks.  I didn't see that...only the big double doors and then up the staircase to the living space.  But then, I'm also odd in that the idea short-term rentals creeps me out.  Long-term tenants I totally understand.  You'd get to know them.  Short-term tenants of just a couple of nights here or there give me the willies.  I'm not the Airbnb type.  That's way too much stranger traffic for me.  Good luck to them, though.  Clint sounds like he's helping Jake pay for med school, and Luke just adopted another child.  They both could use the cash.

• Love 2