Type keyword(s) to search

Restored by the Fords - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I loved this design!  That cool chair in the living room, and the two beautiful curvy sofas.  I even liked the island!  I agree about the marble, but people who like it live with the stains...she must have warned them.  The solution for all of the wood floors was cool, I'm glad she didn't rip them all up.  So glad to see that horrible slate go, we had that in our entryway too.

• Love 1

Not sure if it was a repeat, but we just watched the episode where they redid a cottage for their (her?) nanny. I have trouble watching this show because I hate the way they both talk...it’s like they have marbles in their mouth. But I finally figured out their voices remind me of - The Californians sketch on SNL from the mid-2000s 😂 

• LOL 1

I think it’s her sister-in-law, I guess Ever (cc) is her husband? I missed stuff. 
I thought the place was a hot mess. Yep, go with what you know: Paint it white. I used to really not like Steve and his bratty brother, space cowboy shtick, but at this point, she’s so annoying, I feel sorry for him.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, buttersister said:

I think it’s her sister-in-law, I guess Ever (cc) is her husband? I missed stuff. 
I thought the place was a hot mess. Yep, go with what you know: Paint it white. I used to really not like Steve and his bratty brother, space cowboy shtick, but at this point, she’s so annoying, I feel sorry for him.

Ever is her daughter. Her sister in law, whose name I believe is Alli  is also her nanny.  I'm hoping Ever is short for something else but who knows.  Could have been a really cool house and when the next person decorates it it will, but it was way too kitschy for my taste.  they made some great changes and to it though, especially the way they raised the ceilings.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

What the heck with that flooring?  It looked terrible.  And the walls looked like they were unfinished.  I liked the ceilings before she painted them white...the wood was so nice.

She's mean to Steve.  I feel sorry for him.

I did love that we got to meet their families.  Her daughter is so cute and her husband seems nice.

• Love 1

I didn't like the cottage for the sister-in-law/Nanny.    I didn't like the flooring either.  Coffee on the walls?   Painting the ceiling wood white?   Also, what was that finish they put on the stove?   The sayings stuck on the upstairs bedroom walls did nothing for me. 

And that's what the little girl's first name is, it's not shortened or a nickname.    

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
(edited)

I'll admit I got the Domino magazine this cottage was featured in, and either I wasn't looking closely enough or it's the story behind these design choices that I know now, but I was not digging this. Powderpuff Grey Gardens minus the cats.

The upstairs guest bedroom wall texture I liked. I worry how cold that room is going to get but it's not my energy bill, so whatevs. The master was not as pulled together but it felt sort of personal to Alli. I think the idea of using pieces of old wallpaper is neat but I personally would've kept it to a focal wall. The like the stove too but I liked it better as green. I'm ok with the ceiling being white but I do think she could have made it work with the wood and the green palette she started with.

Now, the bad. The coffee stain (which I thought was original based on pics -- nope) in the main room downstairs looked dirty. I'm still sort of confused about what she applied it to, I guess everything? I can see it as a technique to age something new to match old but the walls before were old and lovely. I also think the floor is problematic, and ultimately went into jenky territory (hilarious that her husband told her it walked a fine line between brilliant and jenky). Sure what she did was very affordable, and she is the client of herself, but if you have a very patchy look in an environment that's not surrounded by very high end furnishings, the whole place is -- it's gonna look busted. You put a street couch (I'm exaggerating but...) in a room with that floor it looks like a squatter lives there, sorry. 

Also, a fridge behind a door? Is a neat door but now you have to open 2 doors to get into the fridge? Would drive me crazy. 

Edited by Refresh
  • Love 5

Something I didn’t understand about this episode...don’t the walls require some kind of insulation?  It seems to me that they removed all of the drywall and the ceilings, and I got a little chill wondering how it will feel to live in an un-insulated house in Pittsburgh during cooler weather. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

I noticed a lot of Crate and Barrel furniture in the house, including a few pieces from her collection.  I HATED the floor...all I could think about was how you would keep it clean.  And no cabinets in the kitchen, except whatever was behind those curtains next to the stove, and under the island?  Overall, not one of my favorites.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, MartyQui said:

no cabinets in the kitchen, except whatever was behind those curtains next to the stove, and under the island?  Overall, not one of my favorites.

There was a little room off of the kitchen, the door between the fridge and the stove area. I think it’s a pantry? There was something that looked like a paper towel holder in there. Though maybe it was a 1/2 bathroom. Who knows. 

• Love 1